PDA

View Full Version : Prodrive runs the Subaru 08 WRC with Marcus Gronholm?

zerodegreec
5th March 2009, 05:38
So I dont get it. Why would Prodrive run the car and with Marcus Gronholm? I thought Atkinson was under contract with Prodrive (Petter was contracted to Subaru), So why not get Atkinson in the seat again? Is he now commited to the Citreon Jr crew? Or is this Prodrive trying to prove that the car is not flawed?

Any theory on why they would even run the car? And why with Marcus Gronholm?
http://www.rally-live.com/en/wrc/headlines/news/detail/090223185226.shtml

big_sw2000
5th March 2009, 06:37
So I dont get it. Why would Prodrive run the car and with Marcus Gronholm? I thought Atkinson was under contract with Prodrive (Petter was contracted to Subaru), So why not get Atkinson in the seat again? Is he now commited to the Citreon Jr crew? Or is this Prodrive trying to prove that the car is not flawed?

Any theory on why they would even run the car? And why with Marcus Gronholm?
http://www.rally-live.com/en/wrc/headlines/news/detail/090223185226.shtml
Maybe Marcus has paid alot off money. Any way Chris will be better of in a Citroen. Dont think even Loeb could win in an Impreza.

Brother John
5th March 2009, 07:20
Maybe Marcus has paid alot off money. Any way Chris will be better of in a Citroen. Dont think even Loeb could win in an Impreza.

Read it again before you say stupid things! I read this. ;)

"Prodrive approached and offered me a chance to compete in WRC Portugal with a Subaru Impreza WRC2008 rally car"

swordsman
5th March 2009, 07:30
Isn't it so that Prodrive wants a spectacular driver like Marcus to make a showoff - to show that their car is good to customer drivers. But of course they don't wanna pay it themselves, so I guess they searched for financing. Probably they found the organiser in Portugal interested, and they got their sponsor (Vodafone) to pay reasonable parts of it... To get that work the probably gave quite a good rebate.

So, I guess Prodrive and their own sponsors pays a part (maybe half the drive) and Vodafone the rest.

Regarding Atko, what would a medium good, young driver be compared to the comeback of one of WRC's biggest stars during the last decade? That's not even compareable...

Bazza2541
5th March 2009, 11:41
I think its marketing by Prodrive.
They have some customer cars built in the factory but without results there is no one buying?
Who better than Marcus to make a big splash?

JAM
5th March 2009, 12:19
Isn't it so that Prodrive wants a spectacular driver like Marcus to make a showoff - to show that their car is good to customer drivers. But of course they don't wanna pay it themselves, so I guess they searched for financing. Probably they found the organiser in Portugal interested, and they got their sponsor (Vodafone) to pay reasonable parts of it... To get that work the probably gave quite a good rebate.

So, I guess Prodrive and their own sponsors pays a part (maybe half the drive) and Vodafone the rest.

Regarding Atko, what would a medium good, young driver be compared to the comeback of one of WRC's biggest stars during the last decade? That's not even compareable...

I think that are the portuguese sponsors paying all, and the Prodrive was contractaed as it could be any other team.

One of the important members of ACP has (or had) his soon working in Prodrive...

JFL
5th March 2009, 13:43
Any opinions why Adapta is'nt in the picture? ;)

swordsman
5th March 2009, 14:44
I think that are the portuguese sponsors paying all, and the Prodrive was contractaed as it could be any other team.

One of the important members of ACP has (or had) his soon working in Prodrive...

That's really interesting to hear! Thanks

swordsman
5th March 2009, 14:45
Any opinions why Adapta is'nt in the picture? ;)

Because why would they?? Adapta would only be a step in between taking some of Prodrives money - honestly they would of course not improve the team in any way. Now Prodrive can take all the money themselves.

zerodegreec
5th March 2009, 14:53
who is Adapta?

Who is ACP?

zerodegreec
5th March 2009, 14:58
I agree that Atko is not as good of a driver as Marcus, But I was impressed by his drive in round 1. First time in the car (race) and he was posting some amazing times. I would venture to say that he is better than Sordo. I would not say he is a medium driver since he is capable of consistent 3rd or 4th place in any rally. Given the right team and car he could be a better #2 driver for any team and I am not a fan boy. I am indifferent really.

swordsman
5th March 2009, 16:05
I agree that Atko is not as good of a driver as Marcus, But I was impressed by his drive in round 1. First time in the car (race) and he was posting some amazing times. I would venture to say that he is better than Sordo. I would not say he is a medium driver since he is capable of consistent 3rd or 4th place in any rally. Given the right team and car he could be a better #2 driver for any team and I am not a fan boy. I am indifferent really.

It's not about being good - it's about being a legend....

Edit: Even though I consider Marcus good, for sure.

mdesign
5th March 2009, 16:10
who is Adapta?

Who is ACP?
ACP is the Rally of Portugal organizer
Adapta is the team corrently running the impresas wrc (Mads Østberg´s team)

JAM
5th March 2009, 18:24

If you are indiferent to fan, then must learn that the name Marcus Gronholm is much bigger than the name Chris Atkinson. And the goal here is to have a big name.

zerodegreec
5th March 2009, 18:32
really???? wow thanks for that breaking news!!!

I am indifferent to Atko. I dont care who drives the car. To be honest I dont really have a favorite driver. I am a fan of the sport, not a fan of a driver.

JFL
5th March 2009, 18:57
I am a fan of the sport, not a fan of a driver.
Really? What sport? ;)

JAM
5th March 2009, 19:16
I am a fan of the sport, not a fan of a driver.

Then you must know that on this sport we have really big names and some others that are not so big. Marcus Gronholm is one of that big names and Chris Atkinson is a not so big name.

This is in the case of you would be really a fan of sport, and the sport in question be world rallying. :D

zerodegreec
5th March 2009, 19:30
when did I state I did not know how the drivers are? are you actually READING the topic? or are you just being difficult?

cannyboy
5th March 2009, 21:44
Prodrive prob want to say look, the car was fine, and restore their reputation from the damage that was done to it.

big_sw2000
5th March 2009, 22:16
Then you must know that on this sport we have really big names and some others that are not so big. Marcus Gronholm is one of that big names and Chris Atkinson is a not so big name.

This is in the case of you would be really a fan of sport, and the sport in question be world rallying. :D
Personaly if i was Chris Atkinson, or the extra big MARCUS GRONHOLM, i would love to drive the Citroen. The Impreza is crap, how dose everyone think Marcus will do good, hes in a rubbish car and he rusty, not up to speed.

urabus-denoS2000
5th March 2009, 22:24
Rusty or not,Marcus is the only one who could challenge Loeb

big_sw2000
5th March 2009, 22:28
Rusty or not,Marcus is the only one who could challenge Loeb
Not in the Subaru

urabus-denoS2000
5th March 2009, 22:34
Yep

JFL
5th March 2009, 22:37
hehe... dream on :)

big_sw2000
5th March 2009, 22:37
Yep
Ok :laugh: i hope your right. It would be good see Marcus do well.
But i bet he finnishes behind both Fords.
And if he dose challange Loeb, that wont look good on Mr Solberg.

tmx
6th March 2009, 02:24
For the last time, Marcus will not challange Loeb in a Subaru.

zerodegreec
6th March 2009, 02:28
the only way Subaru can beat the Citroen will be when they figure out how Citroen is cheating.

ShiftingGears
6th March 2009, 03:54
the only way Subaru can beat the Citroen will be when they figure out how Citroen is cheating.

There's no proof that Citroen cheats.

zerodegreec
6th March 2009, 05:33
haha I was joking.

big_sw2000
6th March 2009, 06:30
Subaru wont beat Ford

WRC1
6th March 2009, 08:24
marcus can beat mikko

big_sw2000
6th March 2009, 09:41
marcus can beat mikko
not in Subaru

JAM
6th March 2009, 09:54
when did I state I did not know how the drivers are? are you actually READING the topic? or are you just being difficult?

Me difficult? No, I tought you were the one who was being dificult at your initial posts.

The presence of Marcus Gronholm has de goal of bring a big name, everybody understood that. So, your initial comments when comparing that Atko was a better option (sugesting the should be Atko instead Gronholm) could be seen as being difficult.

If it was not your idea, bad luck, but that's what we understood (not only me).

JAM
6th March 2009, 09:54
Marcus will have to defend itself from the Stobart boys. Will you bet?

big_sw2000
6th March 2009, 10:44
Marcus will have to defend itself from the Stobart boys. Will you bet?
correct

J.Lindstroem
6th March 2009, 10:53

WELL IT WAS NOT FUNNY!

zerodegreec
6th March 2009, 14:52
Me difficult? No, I tought you were the one who was being dificult at your initial posts.

The presence of Marcus Gronholm has de goal of bring a big name, everybody understood that. So, your initial comments when comparing that Atko was a better option (sugesting the should be Atko instead Gronholm) could be seen as being difficult.

If it was not your idea, bad luck, but that's what we understood (not only me).

On the contrary, I think that most of the posts reflect the original topic the way that I intended it to be. It was a question and did not show bias to either driver, nor did it state Atkinson was a better driver.
So that I am clear (because apparently people have a hard time understanding)

Why would Prodrive race the Subaru 08 WRC this year?

Why would Prodrive contact Marcus to drive the car when they have another driver with experience in the car under contract?

Understand my questions now? Or does it read like I am saying Atko is a better driver then who ever this Marcus guy is? :rolleyes:

big_sw2000
6th March 2009, 16:27
On the contrary, I think that most of the posts reflect the original topic the way that I intended it to be. It was a question and did not show bias to either driver, nor did it state Atkinson was a better driver.
So that I am clear (because apparently people have a hard time understanding)

Why would Prodrive race the Subaru 08 WRC this year?

Why would Prodrive contact Marcus to drive the car when they have another driver with experience in the car under contract?

Understand my questions now? Or does it read like I am saying Atko is a better driver then who ever this Marcus guy is? :rolleyes:
Surley im the Impreza Atko would be the quicker driver

turves
6th March 2009, 21:37
http://www.rallybuzz.com/dave-richards-gronholm-subaru/

according to DR, it may not be a one-off...

urabus-denoS2000
6th March 2009, 22:15
No,no,no guys,I meant "Yep" to big_sw2000's comment "Not in the Subaru"...

So I agree,not in an Subaru :(

JFL
7th March 2009, 10:31
Let's hope Marcus gets it a little bit more easy then Mads Østberg! Mads is as we speak rallying in the Norwegian Championship, and struggling to keep up with the s10 of Anders Grøndal! Complaining of :Quote: "No feeling with the car, going to change the suspension again, and a lot of clicking.!" Heard that before, have'nt we?

SchUMine
7th March 2009, 11:09
marcus can beat mikko

No way in these conditions...

A.F.F.
7th March 2009, 11:15
Here Marcus say a couple of words about his "comeback". I think he is surprisingly optimistical :confused: http://www.katsomo.fi/?treeId=213

Well, maybe not what he said but the way he said things...

jbmarcus21
7th March 2009, 13:09
what is he said into this finnish interview ?