PDA

View Full Version : McLaren ready to go KERS

Knock-on
4th March 2009, 14:32
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73542

Could this go some way to explain their lack of pace?

Setting a benchline with the 08 wing against the 09 wing and long lons to ascertain reliability.

If so, expect them to start heading up the time sheets.l

jonv
4th March 2009, 14:37
The article states they expect to see an advantage using KERS at the start of a race.
Will we see lots of heavy breaking on the parade lap to 'charge' up the KERS?

Dave B
4th March 2009, 14:56
The article states they expect to see an advantage using KERS at the start of a race.
Will we see lots of heavy breaking on the parade lap to 'charge' up the KERS?

Normal braking will produce far more energy than is needed for the limited allowed use of KERS - no need for any silly and dangerous behaviour like that.

I am evil Homer
4th March 2009, 14:58
Yep...KERS will be fully ready on a standard warm up lap, esp at Oz where there are heavy braking zones anyway.

ioan
4th March 2009, 15:09
Normal braking will produce far more energy than is needed for the limited allowed use of KERS - no need for any silly and dangerous behaviour like that.

Exactly.

truefan72
4th March 2009, 19:50
I am not sold on the Kers system, In fact I think it is more of a detriment right now than an advantage. With he testing ban it will be hard to develop the system without compromising the race weekend.

Knock-on
5th March 2009, 11:29
I am not sold on the Kers system, In fact I think it is more of a detriment right now than an advantage. With he testing ban it will be hard to develop the system without compromising the race weekend.

What I don't understand is the cap the FIA have put on the energy that can be recovered / used. There are cars on the road with more capacity.

Surely this is where F1 can be innovative and possibly add credability to Max's "Green" claims?

Instead, they straghtjacket the teams and will probably standardise the system to kill off any innovation.

Make any sense to anyone?

Dave B
5th March 2009, 11:40
Let's be honest, it's a push-to-pass system dressed up in green.

It's there for the benefit of "the show", not the planet.

ioan
5th March 2009, 12:52
I'm rather curious to see if Mac will be ready to go with a 2009 rear wing.

truefan72
5th March 2009, 19:16
I'm rather curious to see if Mac will be ready to go with a 2009 rear wing.

yes, count me in to that bunch as well. Unless they are seriously sandbagging it (which is a good possibility) then there are valid concenrs to their readiness.
It also seems to me that the Kers system is more of a problem than a benefit right now.It would not suprirse me if teams don't run the thin in Australia.

unfortunately for the Macs as they developed it, they probably feel obliged to run it...to their own detriment. Would it not be easier to simply say that it requires"more research" and shelve it?

Tazio
5th March 2009, 19:40
If you read the article closely, nowhere does Kovy say they are going to run it.
And his referance to NH implies that they have not even come close to making a decision.
Could this be a smoke-screen to get their competition to exaust more resourses in this arena and buy time for
Mc' to sort out their rear wing problem?

ioan
5th March 2009, 20:35
Could this be a smoke-screen to get their competition to exaust more resourses in this arena and buy time for
Mc' to sort out their rear wing problem?

And where would they find that time?
There is a collective 5 days test next week and some teams will have a few days of test also the week after that and than it's over, they have to fly the cars to Oz.

Until now BMW and Ferrari managed more than 7000 kms with the new cars, Toyota are well over 6000 kms, all the while McLaren did 4000 kms of testing, during which they never looked fast over a long stint, 90% of the time they ran with the 2008 wing and came up with dozens of explanations for that, and blew 2 engines already.

Thinking about it, I might enjoy the 2009 season with 3 teams clearly at the top

Tazio
5th March 2009, 22:40
And where would they find that time?
There is a collective 5 days test next week and some teams will have a few days of test also the week after that and than it's over, they have to fly the cars to Oz.

Until now BMW and Ferrari managed more than 7000 kms with the new cars, Toyota are well over 6000 kms, all the while McLaren did 4000 kms of testing, during which they never looked fast over a long stint, 90% of the time they ran with the 2008 wing and came up with dozens of explanations for that, and blew 2 engines already.

Thinking about it, I might enjoy the 2009 season with 3 teams clearly at the top
Yes IOAN my statement was a little vague, and skewed. What I was really getting at is (and this is merely conjecture):

If McLaren can bluff other teams into believing they will use KERS in OZ
It might cause other teams to
take what precious time is left to test in other areas suspension, and aero, and apply it to KERS.
Thus while concentrating on rear wing issues Mc' will not have lost as much time relative to other areas.
Of course if they don’t get it sorted out I agree us Ferrari Folk may end up with a very enjoyable season ;)

ioan
6th March 2009, 10:09
Yes IOAN my statement was a little vague, and skewed. What I was really getting at is (and this is merely conjecture):

If McLaren can bluff other teams into believing they will use KERS in OZ
It might cause other teams to
take what precious time is left to test in other areas suspension, and aero, and apply it to KERS.
Thus while concentrating on rear wing issues Mc' will not have lost as much time relative to other areas.
Of course if they don’t get it sorted out I agree us Ferrari Folk may end up with a very enjoyable season ;)

Don't worry, all the teams are following a strict testing and development schedule they decided way back last season.
They do not work in a direction or another in function of what Mac PR machine is releasing, the cases when they don't distort reality are less than 1%, and the other teams know that as well as the fans. ;)

jens
6th March 2009, 18:34
Actually I find hard to believe the sandbagging theory of running with wrong details (like 2008 rear wing in McLaren's case). When BMW was sandbagging in 2008, they had a proper car fully fitted according to rules, they were just running with extra fuel, didn't push to the limit or whatever. Running with details that won't be used during the season will do nothing other than give inaccurate information to the team itself too (not just only others). I'm pretty sure McLaren has got a real aerodynamic problem at the moment (this is what I would like to highlight, they may fix it in time though, who knows).