PDA

View Full Version : Wyedean Death

micro monkey
10th February 2007, 20:12
Does anybody have any info on the tragic crash that happened at the wyedean. I overheard a marshall saying he had a big off in stage 7 and an ambulance was on the scene. The co-driver was unharmed.

leecarter
10th February 2007, 20:27
can do without speculation

Official statement from the Organisers of the Wyedean Forest Rally

"During the running of the Wyedean Forest Rally in the Forest of Dean an incident has occurred which has resulted in the fatality of a competitor, no other persons were injured.

The emergency services were alerted immediately and the police have taken control of the incident,

No further details will be issued until next of kin have been informed."

The competitor who was fatally injured on stage 3 was David Williamson the driver of car 119. Deepest condolences to family and friends from the whole rallying community.

micro monkey
10th February 2007, 20:34
I apologise for my previous message. i now have info that it was on stage 3.

My thoughts go out to the drivers family and friends at this sad time.

RIP

sills
11th February 2007, 00:20
R.I.P

andy172
11th February 2007, 12:06
I was a marshall on the stage after, and all that was reported to the radio car was that car 119 was on its roof and those inside were not moving. We were all quite upset after hearing this very sad and worrying news, especially given the delay of the event. It wasn't until this morning I heard the extent of the accident. Our deepest condolences go to the family and friends of David Williamson. The conditions of the event were incredible, snow and ice, and later on, mud. Some would say the rally should not have been run now, but the event was still very entertaining, just marred by this tragic accident.

dwf1
12th February 2007, 10:42
Theres no way really the event should have been stopped. Im sure at the start of the rally all the drivers wanted to do it for the challenge

My deepest thoughts are with David's family.

btw does anyone know where he was from because ive heard that he was from my town of penkridge??

Martin Liddle
12th February 2007, 21:47
btw does anyone know where he was from because ive heard that he was from my town of penkridge??

Yes he was from Penkridge.

MrJan
13th February 2007, 22:37
I was on stage 3 earlier but didn't find out that someone had died until Sunday morning. It was a very sad end to what was possibly the most exciting stage I have ever seen. The conditions were very challenging and a number of drivers were making mistakes. I had actually seen 2 accidents earlier on in the field and even though both cars continued there was always the risk that someone could get seriously hurt.

Although I don not think that the rally should have been cancelled I was surprised to find out that even after the driver was pronounced dead on the scene the rally continued. I assume that it was a tough decision made by the clerk of the course after deep consideration.

I think the accident on ss7 was Andy Burton, I do not know any more details than that but it was not surprising given the way he was throwing the car about on the snow.

My thoughts are with David's friends and family. Even though we are all aware of the risks of the sport it never prepares us for a situation like this.

DuncanD
14th February 2007, 10:40
Andy crashed his Peugeot Cosworth quite heavily on SS7 and I believe his son, who was co-driving for him, had to be cut from the car but they were both checked over in hospital and suffered nothing worse than bruising.

MadCat
14th February 2007, 16:42
I dont think Josh had to be cut out of the car :s

I think we best let the events which happened last weekend lie, purely out of respect for all involved.

DuncanD
14th February 2007, 18:34
Ok, my apologies, I was told that by someone I thought was a "reliable" source, one of the mods can feel free to remove the post.