PDA

View Full Version : Williams cockpit fins

wedge
2nd March 2009, 12:14
Declared legal

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-williams-cockpit-fins-legal/

Sonic
2nd March 2009, 20:12
They could still be ruled out on safety grounds. The FIA knocked those X wings on the head that sprouted in the late 90's in much the same location on the grounds of observation and fuel lines getting trapped in them at pitstops. They may well still be banned come aus.

Big Ben
3rd March 2009, 09:20
That's a shame. Soon enough everybody will add them (if they are good for anything) and then they will add some little $h1t to it and so on...

ArrowsFA1
3rd March 2009, 10:13
That's a shame. Soon enough everybody will add them (if they are good for anything) and then they will add some little $h1t to it and so on...
Exactly. So much for removing winglets and aero thingumybits.

They're back folks :rolleyes:

Storm
3rd March 2009, 10:35
That was quick.

SGWilko
3rd March 2009, 12:06
Exactly. So much for removing winglets and aero thingumybits.

They're back folks :rolleyes:

Yes, because the rulemakers are 'morons' and cannot see the 'wood for the trees' perhaps?

COD
3rd March 2009, 12:31
Has anyone also noticed the "genious" way Ferrari has put their mirrors on the end of long "holders" on the sides instead of attaching them to the cockpit sides? Those for me look like aero-equipments as well. What do you think?

ioan
3rd March 2009, 13:08
Williams exploited that area around the cockpit where no stricter rules are imposed because of safety reasons.

That's the same area where BMW are using gills in order to help the cooling of KERS (supposedly).

Ferrari and other teams also used a special area, that of the side impact to mount the rear view mirrors on those side plates.

These things are possible because there are areas of the car that can be subjected to very strict rules because safety standards have to be met. And I think this is something perfectly normal and a good thing.

ArrowsFA1
3rd March 2009, 13:56
These things are possible because there are areas of the car that can be subjected to very strict rules because safety standards have to be met. And I think this is something perfectly normal and a good thing.
Why does the need for tight regulations regarding safety = the return of winglets and aero thingumybits :confused:

Knock-on
3rd March 2009, 14:38
Why does the need for tight regulations regarding safety = the return of winglets and aero thingumybits :confused:

I would have thought that these DMZ areas would be even more strictly policed; not less.

Teams will always get away with what they can.

wedge
3rd March 2009, 23:32
I would have thought that these DMZ areas would be even more strictly policed; not less.

Teams will always get away with what they can.

Exactly

Few people want F1 to be spec series but aero has been one of the biggest gains.

Tazio
3rd March 2009, 23:49
I'm yet to see a detailed picture of these Cockpit fins. Could someone post, (or repost) some?
Thanks in advance,
Taz

gloomyDAY
4th March 2009, 03:13
I'm yet to see a detailed picture of these Cockpit fins. Could someone post, (or repost) some?
Thanks in advance,
TazThose rabbit ears could probably skewer someone if they fly off.

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/asc110.jpg

Tazio
4th March 2009, 03:44
That's a load of crap! IMHO :)

ioan
4th March 2009, 08:13
Those rabbit ears could probably skewer someone if they fly off.

There is no reason whatsoever for those parts to fly off.

Knock-on
4th March 2009, 09:45
I wonder if you can get some speakers on the inside. Then have it connected up to an iPod and hey presto - Tunes while you race :)

I think it's pretty obvious that Williams are bending the Spirit of the rules as Ferrari have with their Mirrors. While within the rules, this is the sort of thing the FIA were trying to abolish so I would have thought that clarification will soon be forthcoming :D

Tazio
4th March 2009, 10:05
I wonder if you can get some speakers on the inside. Then have it connected up to an iPod and hey presto - Tunes while you race :)

I think it's pretty obvious that Williams are bending the Spirit of the rules as Ferrari have with their Mirrors. From what I can see They also have the Ferrari Mirrors .
The FIA need to sort out these tire, and aero issues befor all hell breaks loose.
Otherwise I fear alot of controversy, and protestation come time for racing.

Knock-on
4th March 2009, 10:18
From what I can see They also have the Ferrari Mirrors .
The FIA need to sort out these tire, and aero issues befor all hell breaks loose.
Otherwise I fear alot of controversy, and protestation come time for racing.

You can't blame the teams for exploiting weak rules but I would hate to see an assortment of winglets hanging around the drivers head like a GCHQ listening post.

Tazio
4th March 2009, 10:44
You can't blame the teams for exploiting weak rules I absolutely agree with you! It's the abnormally weak, and IMO senseless (KERS) rules
that I perceive as potencially a bigger problem than any in recent history!

wedge
4th March 2009, 12:51
Those rabbit ears could probably skewer someone if they fly off.

Don't remember seeing the McLaren turned into skewers

You can't blame the teams for exploiting weak rules but I would hate to see an assortment of winglets hanging around the drivers head like a GCHQ listening post.

IMHO, the rules are strict enough as it is. At this rate it will not be long till F1 will become a spec series. :(

Knock-on
4th March 2009, 13:52
IMHO, the rules are strict enough as it is. At this rate it will not be long till F1 will become a spec series. :(

I understand what you say but there has been considerable movement by both the teams and the FIA one establishing a more sensible design format. However, the drawing up of regulations has been typically slapdash resulting in the predictible ambiguity and exploitation.

My approach would be to let the teams know that silly winglets are not allowed. If you think it's going to fall into the "not allowed" catagory then it probably will so forget it because you aint going to race with them on.

Simple.

However, innovation in other areas outside of electronics and aero should be encouraged and innovation looked on positivly in these areas.

Wont be long before teams figure out the areas they need to further develop.

wedge
4th March 2009, 14:30
Wont be long before teams figure out the areas they need to further develop.

Depends on the future. KERS looks like it will become a control unit. Haven't heard about any ambition from FIA or manufacturers to run hydrogen fuel cell technology which is becoming increasingly likely as the alternative to oil.

Aero has and always will be a key part of the motorsport industry. IMHO the only to successfully police it without the ramifications of ambiguity (eg. the current row over the extended height of rear diffuser) will be and just like what NASCAR did with the COT is spec series.

wmcot
5th March 2009, 05:39
Perhaps Williams are exploiting an ingenious marketing strategy by running "Spock Ears" and collecting contributions from all the trekkie fan clubs around the globe? ;)