PDA

View Full Version : European Late Model Series

Duane
26th February 2009, 17:56
The new name for the Unified series of stock cars in europe is

European Late Model Series

We have busted a gut to get this together, Tony Roots and Kelvin Hassell must be congatulated for thier work on this deal, we all agreed that while others have tried to get a european series up and running we already have the cars to form a 40 car grid so why not......

the following are Kelvins thoughts on the joint series

It is silly that there are so many Late Model type Stockcars in Europe that are not on tracks and utter stupidity if we do not try to do something about it. CAMSO V8 was a reasonably successful formula in its own right, but it lacks profile and its momentum has stalled with the idea “We have a track, we have drivers we don’t need to do anything else!” The story of ASCAR is long and complicated and been covered many a time and I don’t wish to go over it again.

The technical bits will be ironed out over the next month or so. Tony Roots will be working with Colin White to make sure that the ASCARs are every bit as fast as the CAMSO V8s on the short tracks and that everyone has an even playing field when we get to the first round. For those disappointed at not seeing a Rockingham, Duane is working on it, but, to be honest Rockingham cannot be the main stay of this new series. Not yet anyway. If the series is successful we will get a new oval. There are people that have invested in the V8s who will make one, if this is successful.

The media bits are being taken care of by two of our fellow ten tenthers, SS Collins and CAMSOgirl! For those that don’t know them, SS is the editor of an engineering magzine and CAMSOgirl works for a P.R and media company, looking after such things as the WTCC. Both of them are doing this for the shear love of Stockcars and I cannot thank them enough. I will leave it to them to identify themselves if they so wish.

Another person I won’t identify is the person who has invested the money to make all this possible. We hope to recoup the money through sponsorship but we are in no way reliant on that, thanks to one person who had the unfortunate affliction of having an arm longer than his pocket was deep when I sent him the email that put all this together. I will show you how prize moneys will be allocated in another post along with incentives for people to join this new series. As with CAMSO V8, there will be no entry fees.

All that remains is for anyone left out there, who has an a ASCAR or a Late Model of some kind, to get in touch so we can get you some track time and see what we can do to help you race. A test session has been arranged for March with Rookie training available the day before, for the complete novice. CWS, Revolution Racing and Roots V8 Racing, all have hire cars available or can sell you a used or new race car

kelvin88
26th February 2009, 18:44
I agree with everything that man just said!

racing59
26th February 2009, 18:50
You would do Kelv.... you wrote most of it!

Best of luck guys. Hope it works for you.

ASCAR24/7/365.5
26th February 2009, 20:16
does this mean ascar will still be racing at hednesford and ipswich or not...if they are IM THERE!....boogidy boogidy boogidy...lets go racin!

Speedworx
26th February 2009, 20:27
I look forward to the full schedule being announced. Shortcircuitmag says 4 UK races.

kelvin88
26th February 2009, 22:42
Ipswich, Hednesford and two at Lydden

Yung
27th February 2009, 03:47
No Pembrey Oval????? :P Heard about there's an tiny oval here in Pembrey but never actually saw it or read about it somewhere.......

El Sween
27th February 2009, 16:04
Great news. Keep us informed.

acorn
27th February 2009, 18:28
No Pembrey Oval????? :P Heard about there's an tiny oval here in Pembrey but never actually saw it or read about it somewhere.......

isn't that what google and google earth are for?

fastbob
27th February 2009, 19:11
Duane, congratulations to you and all involved in getting this together, i'm sure much hard work was involved as usual.

Hope it all goes well for you guy's.

kelvin88
27th February 2009, 19:41
12th April Warneton Belgium
13th April Warneton
3rd May Warneton
24th May Warneton
28th June Warneton
12th July Warneton
15th August Ipswich UK
23rd August Warneton
31st August Hednesford UK
6th September Warneton
20th September Warneton
11th October Warneton

Plus Two at Lydden Hill UK Dates to be confirmed

kelvin88
27th February 2009, 19:55
Website will be http://www.latemodel.eu

Doesn't look much now but should have a bit more form by Monday. If any of the ASCAR teams have their own websites we can link to, can they let me know. Also any teams wishing to sell cars or with drives available with prices so we can forward them to interested parties and start a bit of networking going on.

Forum Buddy
27th February 2009, 20:36
Well I will say good luck guys, glad to see V8's back on the oval where they belong.

Hope you all have a great season, I personally won't make Belgium races, might try to get to UK events.

Great news for V8's.

Good Luck.

Congratulations to all concerned.

Forum Buddy

V8 Oval Racing live long and prosper.

Jamie Brown
27th February 2009, 22:27
Good news for the series. Will there be any chance of a race at Mallory Park?

kelvin88
1st March 2009, 09:51
Went to Ipswich last night with the #77 Roots V8 Pontiac. It looked good out there, we will need them to clean us a high groove but the car was fast and looked good. Carl Boardley went out in it and was plesantly suprised how good it went round there. Am looking forward to these two races a lot now!

Duane
1st March 2009, 10:42
Last night at Ipswich was much much much better than we expected, until you see it you can never be that sure, Dean Wood was, he had seen them in south Africa and assured me they would be good and he was spot on, even with only one car on hand it was enough.

Colin White should of been there with Tony but Flu interviened otherwise im sure we would of seen faster lap times from both cars, that said on a very dusty Foxhall heath track Tony was lapping consitently in the high 15 seconds with a fastest lap of 15.4, contrast that with the national hot rod laps of low 15 seconds average and Carl boardley doing a 14.9 i would say it was very sucessfull first test.

As Kelvin has said the last run was undertaken by Carl, he spun on lap 3 lol, this was the first time he had ever gone the ' RIGHT' way around Foxhall and he quickly started getting into it and finished with a 16 second flat, afterwards he said he was very supprised at the stability of the car around his home track, the big smile on his face summed it up and although Carl has no intention of joining us at the moment we thank him for giving us some extra feedback.

Duane

cgs
1st March 2009, 12:22
i'll try my very best to make at least 1 Belgium round, i quite fancy a trip out of the UK for once! I'll also see if i can make the UK rounds as well.

Well done on putting together an oval series!

Duane
1st March 2009, 20:11
Kieth, we look forward to seeing you and an Oval series it will stay now as although a few road courses were consided , and as we dont belive a mixed road course and oval series works, it has been decided to build a european series around european ovals, a half mile at Venray should be availible in 2010 and possibly two more in france and germany plus there are place,s called Rockingham and Lausitz and if could read sweedish we may be able to tell if the oval there is even been built but it looks nice on the made up video on thier web site.

cheers Kieth

Duane

LessThanSte
1st March 2009, 22:39
Anyone want to share a trip to Belgium?

fastbob
2nd March 2009, 09:53
I know the CAMSO's have run it several times before but surely Lydden will be a road course..... or will you just do the little bit at the turn 1/2 end?

acorn
2nd March 2009, 17:48
i would imagine they'll use the oval:

kelvin88
2nd March 2009, 19:22
You are correct it will be the oval.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5IchvoFNk0

foxystoat
3rd March 2009, 13:19
Sounds promising just a couple of meetings at Rockingham & Lausitz missing & it would have been awesome.

Abo
3rd March 2009, 13:50
I've knocked up a quick Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Late_Model_Series

Could someone please send me a decent-sized logo? I nicked this one from the ELMS website and it hasn't scaled very well...

I'll do something a bit better with the page if I get time, but if someone else could add a bit of background that'd be great :D

JG Fan
3rd March 2009, 19:12
Sounds great, well done everyone involved and thank you for putting V8's back on the ovals. i will be at the UK events.

racing59
3rd March 2009, 20:39
Nice to see the forum title is changing in the right direction too. Never did like that VSR title thing.

Rob.

Gasman#99
3rd March 2009, 21:14
Nice to see the forum title is changing in the right direction too. Never did like that VSR title thing.

Rob.
but rob we done it for you, V Seven Racing ;)

racing59
4th March 2009, 23:22
Grrrrrrrrr

jeffmr2
6th March 2009, 00:26
Wow this is great news,well done to all involved.I'll definatly go to the UK rounds,will there be any organised trips to the Warneton events?

MrkyMrk
6th March 2009, 09:51
I foresee a a trip to Europe coming up!

Well played, folks.

Unfortunately, prior engagements mean I can't make the Easter rounds - would have made a nice 40th birthday pressie to myself...

Best of luck.

kelvin88
6th March 2009, 11:38
For those of you who think Belgium is a long way away, it really isnt. I take the boat because I quite like boats but if your in a hurry then the train is good. When you get off the boat it is 60 miles to Warneton. Again, I take a lesurly drive down there and it takes about an hour but if you drive like our European friends do then you will eat it up in no time. There is one speed camera on the last bit of dual carrage way to watch out for but that is about it. It really is no worse than living in Eastbourne and going to race at anywhere other than Brands. Book yourselves an extended beer run and come over!

Glen 320
6th March 2009, 18:09
What else would be racing at the warneton rounds,i quite fancy the idea of the trip but it would be better if 2 litre hot rods ,superstox or F2 were on as well.
Also which ports do ferrys go to Belgium from,and how much do they cost per car?

foxystoat
6th March 2009, 18:30
Out of interest how come there are no Rockingham dates for this new series as it is obviously the best circuit in the Uk for these cars.
Is it too costly to book the circuit / no spare dates available / don't want to race there or any other reason ?

Not trying to start an argument just curious as to the reasons.

Thanks
Neil

kelvin88
6th March 2009, 19:26
What else would be racing at the warneton rounds,i quite fancy the idea of the trip but it would be better if 2 litre hot rods ,superstox or F2 were on as well.
Also which ports do ferrys go to Belgium from,and how much do they cost per car?

CAMSO has its own "2ltr Hotrod formula and its own Lightning Rods (Which are beautiful, ten times better than UK ones)

They have Super Prive which is like Hotrods but with tighter rules on suspension but they use the original engine for the vehicle.

Prive Car is like Rookie Rods

We also have invitation formula which can include NHR, F2, F1, Babygrands, UK Sprint and Legends.

Then, of course there is usually a few banger races and some odd entertaiment at the end. For April it is Caravan Racing, but we also have car jumping, Ramp Rollovers, Chain racing all sorts of stuff.

I will come back with the support formula list for April.

racing59
6th March 2009, 20:42
Chain racing? Please do tell..... Are we talking bangers on tow here?

Caravans, great stuff. Let me think, the best combination would have to be an Opel Commodore with a Fendt snail behind.

kelvin88
6th March 2009, 22:19
12 April

CAMSO Hotrods

Lightning Rods

Prive Cars (Entry capped at 100)

Team Bangers European Championship

kelvin88
6th March 2009, 22:21
13 April

CAMSO Hotrods

Lightning Rods

Super Prive Car

Prive Car

Bangerstox

Caravan Race

LessThanSte
6th March 2009, 23:48
Chain racing? Please do tell..... Are we talking bangers on tow here?

Caravans, great stuff. Let me think, the best combination would have to be an Opel Commodore with a Fendt snail behind.

Isnt chain racing when they connect 2 or more cars nose to tail? Ive seen it side by side too, and we've all seen one on top of the other!

Duane
6th March 2009, 23:51
On the Rockingham question, Yes of course we all want to race there, we are just hoping for a sunday cancellation as all weekends are booked for the whole year now but even if we get one offerd its very late in the day to sort as dates realy need setting mid last year and yes Rockingham is very expensive !!!

its another one of those work in progress im afraid.

Duane :dozey:

foxystoat
6th March 2009, 23:58
All weekends booked at Rockingham but hardly any racing on ! must all be track days & corporate events.

kelvin88
7th March 2009, 07:21
Isnt chain racing when they connect 2 or more cars nose to tail? Ive seen it side by side too, and we've all seen one on top of the other!

Correct!

Abo
9th March 2009, 13:07
Couple of familiar names on the ELMS website drivers list I see!

kelvin88
9th March 2009, 17:37
Still waiting for confrmation from world famous Dutch driver, Hertz Van Rental

racing59
9th March 2009, 19:11
Still waiting for confrmation from world famous Dutch driver, Hertz Van Rental

I thought you already he his sister on board. Avis?

What about Theodore Rimspoke? The winner of the Pinchcliffe Grand Prix. Will he be out?

kelvin88
9th March 2009, 19:51
Still want to see your name down there...

Reynard
9th March 2009, 23:14
You'll be wanting Penelope Pitstop next... :rotflmao:

Seriously, glad things seem to be heading in the right direction.

kelvin88
9th March 2009, 23:53
Why not? I think Dick Dastardly and Mutley are already in!

El Sween
10th March 2009, 19:17
This series is going to be great.

darknessrock
11th March 2009, 22:21
Website will be http://www.latemodel.eu

Doesn't look much now but should have a bit more form by Monday. If any of the ASCAR teams have their own websites we can link to, can they let me know. Also any teams wishing to sell cars or with drives available with prices so we can forward them to interested parties and start a bit of networking going on.

From the website..
"Media
The European Late Model Series has a top, in-house media team to help secure maximum exposure for its teams and their marketing partners. As part of its global media offensive, the European Late Model Series will be shown in 12 one-hour slots on Motors TV.

The future
In 2010 the European Late Model Series intends to increase the number of races held in the UK and expand the Series to include races in the Netherlands and France. "

Hoping to make at least 1 meeting in Belgium, but looks like we'll see the rest on tv! Wonder where we could have the 2010 UK races? :) :)

Series is looking like it's shaping up well, just hope the Belgian drivers all make the trips over here!

Abo
13th March 2009, 08:33
Glad to see it's going to be on TV. I'll be watching!

Yung
13th March 2009, 14:22
Sam Collins the Editor is planning to race aswell in the number "??"? :P

kelvin88
16th March 2009, 19:04
Don't forget, there is test days on 27th and 28th. If anyone would like to drive a car they should give Tony a call on 07860327397

The Pits!
20th March 2009, 21:49
I don't know, I wander off for a short while and the name of the forum changes again :)

Any chance of it ever wandering to Rockingham again?

car20
23rd March 2009, 16:18
just like to say , nice one to all involved in the new series , looking forward to hednesford in august (i have booked my sick leave..cough cough,,,summer flu) long live V8' euro late model's :)

Nick Brad
13th April 2009, 19:40
My god, disappear for 6 months and it all kicks off.

Don't have a passport so Belgium is out for now, but I will be at all UK rounds for certain. Now, time to buy extra lottery tickets so I can win and scoop up West-Tec's cars....

Tractorboy.
14th April 2009, 13:01
i'm gonna win the lottery too so i'll go halves with ya! Was a good weekend roll on may.

kelvin88
14th April 2009, 18:46
Well done everyone, good fun good racing. As Tractor says, bring on the next one! :D

kjb
14th April 2009, 18:53
Well done everyone, good fun good racing. As Tractor says, bring on the next one! :D

its a shame john steward got spun out and his car got trashed though! some of the drivers need to learn the lines better i think!

Gasman#99
14th April 2009, 23:58
its a shame john steward got spun out and his car got trashed though! some of the drivers need to learn the lines better i think!
na just go round in a artic and do the same to them *****, if thats what there going to do i dont think i will wate my money going over there to see them waste someone elses money.

Tractorboy.
15th April 2009, 10:00
The white line rule is good when it works, though i have to disagree with ya bremner there not ***** mate. They helped Me and Other out no end when we got there the first time round and this weekend looked after us in the evening with food and drink and i'm sure Kev will agree it was one hell of a laugh. Its not a waste of money it really is good close racing and even if you just go there once just to see i'm sure you'll be going back. Sure people nudge and push ya about on track but its racing personally i wouldn't race there just yet as i haven't won the lottery and can't afford the damage!! Overall the weekend apart from the last race was bloody good fun and we got to see sunshine!!! right i better get back to the office as i'm wearing my office skirt today. Cheerio.

Tractor.

bravheart
16th April 2009, 00:11
John's Car looks to have suffered alott of damage in those photo's!

Tony's car also took some damage i see!

I thought the rules were no contact?

Duane
16th April 2009, 06:17
yep, same non contact rules as you raced under at Rockingham Duncan, and Nascar use at Bristol ect ect............

Chigley
16th April 2009, 18:36
Guys which gutter did some of you learn your language in.

I have just reported posts #59 & 60 (Gasman#99 and Tractorboy) for the use of rude, crude and offensive language that is certainly not fit for a public forum that is open to all to read! Very disappointing considering this post is two days old.

Tractorboy.
16th April 2009, 20:28
you've really got to much time on your hands.

Reynard
16th April 2009, 21:34
Chigley's got a valid point, Gentlemen.

Some of your language isn't ideal for public consumption, especially since there are younger folks on here, so could you kindly please make an effort to use fewer expletives. ;)

Else I have a very fetching (xmas pressie) of some rose-scented soap. I'm sure if I were to wash your mouths out with it, your language will come up smelling of roses. ;)

Speedworx
18th April 2009, 19:38
FFS, lighten up!

Only hardcore fans visit the forum anyway. Its heavy handed mods that put people off boards.

Reynard
18th April 2009, 21:18
Euhm, a reminder about fruity language is hardly heavy-handed.

Back to the discussion gentlemen, over to you.

Nick Brad
19th April 2009, 11:18
With regards to the damage from the racing, can I just point back at the history of Rockingham, miles more room to play around in and yet there's been some pretty bad races with multiple cars being torn up.

Ask any of the National Hot Rod guys, (even John himself,) and they'll all tell you that damaged racecars are an unfortunate everyday occurance on the short ovals and that the CAMSO drivers should in no way be looked upon poorly because of the damage to John Steward's car.

Nick Brad
19th April 2009, 11:19
Sam Collins the Editor is planning to race aswell in the number "??"? :P

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/allarticles/316195/sam-has-a-nice-weekend-off.html The latest from said Editor.....

bravheart
19th April 2009, 13:31
With regards to the damage from the racing, can I just point back at the history of Rockingham, miles more room to play around in and yet there's been some pretty bad races with multiple cars being torn up.

Ask any of the National Hot Rod guys, (even John himself,) and they'll all tell you that damaged racecars are an unfortunate everyday occurance on the short ovals and that the CAMSO drivers should in no way be looked upon poorly because of the damage to John Steward's car.

miles more room to play around ?? ....Yes true, but are you forgetting more than Double the Speeds!!!!

unfortunate everyday occurance on the short ovals and that the CAMSO drivers should in no way be looked upon poorly...........The point that was trying to be made was, If new and/or potential drivers/teams start reading and seeing this happening? It will only result in the same thing that happened to ASCAR -Days of Thunder - SCSA = acident damage made the racing look to expensive to compete in! However, 2007 saw the V8's gaining allot more interest because the way in which it was be policed!!

Nick Brad
19th April 2009, 13:43
Speeds are a very important point of course, that is reflected in the amount of damage caused though IMO. The other issue is, what are the Camso bodyshells made of? If any of them are running sheet metal bodies then any collision with "our" cars will leave us on the losing side.

We do need to try shift focus away from accident damage though, (I see the irony of me discussing it whilst saying forget about it, so no need to point that out, lol,) and concentrate on grid sizes, quality of racing, off track cameraderie............. which I gather was a very big positive on all accounts.

Duane
19th April 2009, 23:11
I have to say that the racing was for the most part fair and clean over the easter weekend, nothing unexpected happened although we was on a very big learning curve from the off, on reflection though we was all cool with how the Ascars handled the Belgium track and we are Very happy to go back to Warnerton and are looking forward to may 3rd when we can go back with better set up idea's and Drivers will have more confidence to attack the track !!!

FYI we have now got 27th June confirmed as an extra date on the oval at Lydden.

we also have cars to rent during the year still, fancy it ???

Duane

Nick Brad
20th April 2009, 09:15
Duane, you've just made me scream out in frustration, I've got a child due on the 24th of June so there's no way I'm going to be able to make that round. ;(
Still, the forum's here for me to follow the action and I wish all you guys well, (here's hoping the other lydden round is better timed for me, lol).

acorn
20th April 2009, 12:06
The other issue is, what are the Camso bodyshells made of? If any of them are running sheet metal bodies then any collision with "our" cars will leave us on the losing side.

"2° BODY:

- Only the 6 US body’s are allowed: Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Ford Taurus, Ford Fusion, Dodge Charger, Dodge Intrepid, Pontiac Grand Prix. European body’s are not allowed.

- The body panels may not be thicker or in another material than the offset fibreglass short track bodies from Five Stars.

- Carbon fiber parts , Lite Weight Fiberglass, and Aluminum parts are NOT allowed."

Nick Brad
20th April 2009, 14:12
Cheers Acorn, looking at those pics I thought that some of the Camso guys were running steel bodies, (the black bent bonnet in particular,) I guess the relatively low speeds allowed the panels to bend rather than brake.

Witty, you're the specialist on these things, i'll let you break it down for me, lol.

Reynard
20th April 2009, 21:10
Cheers Acorn, looking at those pics I thought that some of the Camso guys were running steel bodies, (the black bent bonnet in particular,) I guess the relatively low speeds allowed the panels to bend rather than brake.

Witty, you're the specialist on these things, i'll let you break it down for me, lol.

The panels used to make ascar bodies is actually pretty flexible - but it is strong too. Nothing like the carbon fibre based composites used in F1 (which is much more brittle) but then again, they aren't structural members.

A small amount of contact should cause minimal damage - impact energy is dissipated initially by the deformation caused by flexing, but once you get beyond a certain loading, excess energy is dissipated by the propagation of cracks in the chopped-strand-mat. Large impacts will cause the composite to fail by delamination and thence by puncture.

HTH. ;)

racing59
20th April 2009, 21:19
And, you have been told. Reynard knows these things - Witty is a composites expert!

You can really abuse these panels before they give up, though the Turn2/3 wall, or a trolley jack (slipping off thereof) will rip 'em up!

Duane
20th April 2009, 22:35
just to turn it on its head......most of the panels used on a Camso are Plastic !!!! Made by 5 star

Duane
20th April 2009, 22:50
Also Paul Poulter is down to race the # 77 Camso on may 3rd...

LessThanSte
20th April 2009, 23:21
Will he be starting from the back?

This i absolutely have to see. Round the outside, back to the front in 3 laps ;)