PDA

View Full Version : What If? Another American F1 Team

anthonyvop
25th February 2009, 19:03
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/129498-what-if-another-american-f1-team?just_published=1

What if there is another group working on starting an American F1 team?

What if the team will not be a pure US Formula 1 team but a “NAFTA” team?

What if they realize that any F1 team will have to be based in Europe?

What if they have already decided on a location?

What if the some members of the group are comprised of people who are involved in motorsports marketing and sponsorship?

What if they have the full financial backing of an entity that has pockets as deep as the Marianna’s Trench?

What if the had representatives at the IRL Indy Car test in Homestead talking to a few select individual engineers and mechanics about possibly working for them?

What if they already have a designer working on a chassis design?

What if they are already well into negotiations with engine manufacturer?

What if they have refrained from making any public announcements until they actually have a team to announce?

What if ……….?

Answer to follow when I can.

Easy Drifter
25th February 2009, 21:41
Tony: I think they would have more chance and you and I do not agree very often.
When you leak info for weeks and then have a big PR exercise with nothing new I have my doubts.
USF1 seem to have nothing but an idea and maybe some money. No shop, no staff, no phone even and where do they meet? At a flippin' Starbucks.
By this time there should be at least an office, letterhead and the beginnings of staff plus a shop, even if it is a shell. The amount of equipment required, even office supplies, plus hardware (nuts and bolts etc.) is incredible.
I have been around this crazy sport for 56 years (YIPE) and have managed small one car teams amongst other things.
I have set up a race shop from scratch for a 1 car operation and I know what that takes and we started with my tools worth probably $20,000 1970's dollars.
Logistics of obtaining supplies and basic shop equipment is going to take more than 1 person working 24/7 weeks unless they can walk into a fully equipped shop and if even it is an ex NASCAR shop they will have to source out the right type of metals and hardware.
Just as an example in the late 70's early 80's we bought our fibreglass in both mat and cloth by rolls. Our resin in 5 gallon containers and acetone the same way. This to run one already built formula car, not build a F1 team!
I have been in F1 factories although not for years.
If you have not read it (and this goes for everyone) Steve Matchett's book the 'Chariot Makers' gives some insight into what it takes to build a F1 car.
I hope I am wrong but I feel they have bitten off more than they can chew, with probably no race income for 2 years,