PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Come Back!!!!

General Prim
23rd February 2009, 14:38
To Portugal Rally with Subaru Impreza

General Prim
23rd February 2009, 14:43
Marcus Grönholm and Prodrive
back in the WRC
at Vodafone Rally de Portugal
In addition to the best drivers in the world competing in all three categories of the FIA
World Rally Championship (WRC, J-WRC and P-WRC), the 2009 edition of the Vodafone
Rally de Portugal (2-5 April) will have an additional point of interest: former world
champion Marcus Grönholm will be back in rallying at the world level, making his first
appearance at the wheel of a Subaru Impreza, a WRC car the Finn has never driven.
Marcus Grönholm, winner of 30 World Championship events, competed in the last two
editions of the Vodafone Rally de Portugal, driving a Ford Focus WRC on both occasions:
in 2007 as a Ford works driver and in 2008 driving the event safety car, car 0.
“It will be fun to return [to the WRC], even in an ad-hoc way, in a car that I don’t know at
all and after a year where I competed in some rallycross events’” said Grönholm. “It will
be nice, as there was a chance of driving for Subaru just before the manufacturer decided
to retire.”
The Finn is quite clear about his expectations: “I will not start aiming for the win, as I
want to compare my speed with the regular WRC boys over the first few stages. The
important thing is to feel confidence and pleasure, coming back to an event that I enjoy
very much and know the stages quite well.”
Grönholm will be driving a latest-specification Subaru Impreza WRC2008, prepared and
run by Prodrive and will be co-driven, as always, by Timo Rautiainen.
“Of course I will test in the Impreza before the rally, not only to try to understand how it
works but also, if possible, to adapt it to my driving style. But most importantly, it will be a
pleasure to come back to the WRC in Portugal,” concluded the former world champion.

AlfaWRC
23rd February 2009, 14:46
Flights to Portugal are already booked!!!! Jippiiiieee

Salist
23rd February 2009, 14:48
Marcus Grönholm and Prodrive
back in the WRC
at Vodafone Rally de Portugal
In addition to the best drivers in the world competing in all three categories of the FIA
World Rally Championship (WRC, J-WRC and P-WRC), the 2009 edition of the Vodafone
Rally de Portugal (2-5 April) will have an additional point of interest: former world
champion Marcus Grönholm will be back in rallying at the world level, making his first
appearance at the wheel of a Subaru Impreza, a WRC car the Finn has never driven.
Marcus Grönholm, winner of 30 World Championship events, competed in the last two
editions of the Vodafone Rally de Portugal, driving a Ford Focus WRC on both occasions:
in 2007 as a Ford works driver and in 2008 driving the event safety car, car 0.
“It will be fun to return [to the WRC], even in an ad-hoc way, in a car that I don’t know at
all and after a year where I competed in some rallycross events’” said Grönholm. “It will
be nice, as there was a chance of driving for Subaru just before the manufacturer decided
to retire.”
The Finn is quite clear about his expectations: “I will not start aiming for the win, as I
want to compare my speed with the regular WRC boys over the first few stages. The
important thing is to feel confidence and pleasure, coming back to an event that I enjoy
very much and know the stages quite well.”
Grönholm will be driving a latest-specification Subaru Impreza WRC2008, prepared and
run by Prodrive and will be co-driven, as always, by Timo Rautiainen.
“Of course I will test in the Impreza before the rally, not only to try to understand how it
works but also, if possible, to adapt it to my driving style. But most importantly, it will be a
pleasure to come back to the WRC in Portugal,” concluded the former world champion.

Source???

Rally_Rocks
23rd February 2009, 15:10
Official press release from Rally de Portugal. Looks like he's driving Grondal's car from Norway. Probably backed by Vodafone.

DonJippo
23rd February 2009, 15:27
Source???

http://www.rallydeportugal.pt/index.php?template_id=296&MIT=1

teufel
23rd February 2009, 15:38
Great to see him back, :up: let see if he can beat Petter!

curry
23rd February 2009, 16:03
All I can say is WHY?

SubaruNorway
23rd February 2009, 16:07
I think he's already tested it, one of Østberg's mechanics was on a test with him last week anyway....?

N.O.T
23rd February 2009, 16:10
this is going to be interesting...top 5 is a realistic target.

Sulland
23rd February 2009, 16:18
Will be an interesting pointer for both Petter, Atko and Mads, on what Gronholm can get out of the S14 !

Bazza2541
23rd February 2009, 16:19
All I can say is WHY?

Marketing? Prodrive used to sell a lot of cars into Ireland at least, maybe they need to do some advertising?

muscrae
23rd February 2009, 16:20
fantastic news.... hope where will petter and marcus be in overall standings...

A.F.F.
23rd February 2009, 16:41
Some people just don't know when to stop....

Mirek
23rd February 2009, 16:44
All I can say is WHY?

Because ACP pays that as last year? ;)

Anyway, may be very frustrating for Petter's fans or maybe not... :s mokin:

Helstar
23rd February 2009, 16:49
I can't understand his decision ... will he get so much money ? Vodafone can be very convincing I guess ^^

Bazza2541
23rd February 2009, 16:58
I can see the logic in this.
If he does well he is the returning hero making Solberg and Atkinson look bad, if not the car is crap.
Win - Win for Morcus. ;)

JFL
23rd February 2009, 17:07
What is a good result? 4th, 5th,or in the points? Many thing can happen in a rally. Maybe some stagetimes can give a pinpointer.
So far Petter has a 2nd place with that car. If he does that...WOW... hehe..

Viking
23rd February 2009, 17:41
Well it will boost interest for wrc, Rally de Portugal and Prodrive at least :up:

bt52b
23rd February 2009, 17:43
If he does well he is the returning hero making Solberg and Atkinson look bad, if not the car is crap.
Win - Win for Morcus. ;)

No really, should be alot better if it has the new suspension they should have had a year ago.

Fri
23rd February 2009, 17:50
From mgr.fi:

Marcus Grönholm enters WRC Portugal with Subaru World Rally Car

Two times World Rally Champion Marcus Grönholm returns behind the steering wheel of a World Rally Car in WRC Portugal. Flying Finn with his co-driver Timo Rautiainen enters WRC Portugal with Prodive Subaru Impreza WRC 2008 rally car.

– Prodrive approached and offered me a chance to compete in WRC Portugal with Subaru Impreza WRC 2008 rally car. After having a test in WRC Norway I decided to take the challenge, Grönholm tells.

– When 1½ years ago I made a decision to retire from WRC I didn't say never to come back. However WRC Portugal is juse a single event and nothing more. After the rally I have to analyze my feelings and to see what happens next, Grönholm continues.

Speed from Vasaloppet

Before WRC Portugal the drivers measure their speed in WRC Cyprus. When drivers tackle on twisty Cyprus stages Grönholm concetrates his thoughts by having a ski journeys. At first weekend of March Grönholm participates to the Worlds' biggest single skiing event - Swedish Vasaloppet.

- After my active career I've just enjoyed life. A year ago I drove few European rallycross events and in this year I decided to challenge myself in 90 kilometres of skiing. I must do something to get my condition better for the WRC Portugal, Grönholm joked.

WRC Portugal is to be driven in first weekend of April.

jbmarcus21
23rd February 2009, 17:51
Just FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woodeye
23rd February 2009, 17:58
Interesting. :up:

But getting a Subaru will make him retire again really soon. ;)

paddocknews
23rd February 2009, 17:59
http://www.rallybuzz.com/gronholm-subaru-portugal/

Bazza2541
23rd February 2009, 18:06
Now we get to dream again!!!
Marcus and Mikko in Protons for 2010?

Oh the joys.

DonJippo
23rd February 2009, 18:41
No really, should be alot better if it has the new suspension they should have had a year ago.

They will use Öhlins:

Gronholm’s car will be an evolution of the 2008 model used by Petter Solberg and Chris Atkinson on Wales Rally GB and will be fitted with Ohlins dampers. “We have to allow for the fact that we’re not able to homologate the 2009 car fully, but we’ll put together the best spec of car that we possibly can,” added Taylor.

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=4062&desc=Marcus%20Gronholm%20makes%20WRC%20comeback

RS
23rd February 2009, 18:48
Interesting.. I guess Prodrive want to drum up some interest for their customer operation.

The Adapta cars were pretty crappy in Norway though, what dampers were they using there?

Viking
23rd February 2009, 18:58
Interesting.. I guess Prodrive want to drum up some interest for their customer operation.

The Adapta cars were pretty crappy in Norway though, what dampers were they using there?

Yes, I read somewhere they has build ten! S14`s

At least Mads tested Öhlins before Rally Norway, so I guess he ran them in the rally.

leno
23rd February 2009, 19:10
s14 will get first victory hooah :D

Sulland
23rd February 2009, 19:16
All I can say is WHY?

I think it is because Marcus like to drive rally !!

Fischer
23rd February 2009, 19:56
s14 will get first victory hooah :D

Crossing my fingers :D

Psycho!
23rd February 2009, 19:59
Great news!!!!To be realistic,Marcus will be 6th or lower....I would love to see him higher though......

urabus-denoS2000
23rd February 2009, 20:34
Marcus will win ;)

cannyboy
23rd February 2009, 21:00
So none of the S15 stuff will make it in here?

Gard
23rd February 2009, 21:06
So none of the S15 stuff will make it in here?

That was my thougts too. The s15 was scheduled to enter rally Portugal.

userwave
23rd February 2009, 21:48
:cool:

MJW
23rd February 2009, 22:19
S15 was not homologated so best option is S14 with Ohlins, the revised steering and cross member, and geometry evolutions planned for S15 can not (as I understand it) happen unless there is a new homologation in 2009.

tribefiend
23rd February 2009, 23:31
I'm interested to see what his car will look like. Vodafone Subaru should look pretty good.

curry
24th February 2009, 02:01
Win - Win for Morcus. ;)

How is driving around in a crap car not being competitive a win for 'Morcus' apart from making money - maybe he is broke already ;)

Don't get me wrong I think it is great for us spectators, but I just wonder how history will judge Marcus if this comeback fails.

P.S. I'd be suprised is this was just a one off, Finland maybe interesting!

gloomyDAY
24th February 2009, 02:14
Bloody sweet!

I'm really looking forward to this rally.

Marcus is probably doing Portugal because he's got "the itch". Once he gets behind the wheel, and hopefully not disappointed by the Subaru, his appetite will be satiated. Then Marcus will be back to enjoy his life in retirement.

Gard
24th February 2009, 07:25
Great news!!!!To be realistic,Marcus will be 6th or lower....I would love to see him higher though......

Both Petter and Atko was right behind the "factory four" and even on pace with Sordo on gravel. So if he is as good as Petter, he should aim for a top 6 and even a podium if bit lucky.

Why? WRC-cars are fun to drive and s2000 is coming up. So possibilities to drive a decent car is getting difficult ;)

Iskald
24th February 2009, 08:56
How is driving around in a crap car not being competitive a win for 'Morcus' apart from making money - maybe he is broke already ;)

Don't get me wrong I think it is great for us spectators, but I just wonder how history will judge Marcus if this comeback fails.

P.S. I'd be suprised is this was just a one off, Finland maybe interesting!

He`s not broke - and this is not to be regarded as a proper comeback. And I don`t think Marcus cares a lot about "how history will judge him". He is just a bit bored with his life in retirement and wants to drive a rallycar again. And why not? Michael Schumacher choses to fall off roadracing bicycles on national level in Germany. These guys just need the adrenaline flowing, it`s as easy as that.

For Rally Portugal and the waning interest of the WRC this is a real vitamine injection. Great news!

Koppomsbo
24th February 2009, 13:22
. So if he is as good as Petter

Is that realy a question?? Come on....

AndyRAC
24th February 2009, 14:40
Do we know who his sponsors are? I wonder whether this has anything to do with ISC? Anybody know?

Good news anyway!!

Gard
24th February 2009, 15:15
Is that realy a question?? Come on....

Not really, Petter is much better :rolleyes:

driveace
24th February 2009, 15:42
I read this thread with interest.I really hope Marcus has a good event in Portugal in april.I can fully understand why he feels he needs to dothis event,as he says he enjoys Portugal too.When he retired I thought he said he was a bit fed up with the travelling,and probably he is a bit bored now OR needs to really see if the fast drivers have actually left him behind or the pace on events is now beyond him.I wish him a good result

koko0703
24th February 2009, 16:10
It'll be a very interesting event! If Colin can drive Fabia up to 2nd place, why not Marcus in Subaru? I would say finishing within 1.5 mins of Loeb the winner is a quite good result regardless of the final standing. Hope Marcus will do good and make more occasinal appearances in the future.

greenchile505
24th February 2009, 17:30
I wish everyone would lay off Marcus for having a drive. It's not at all like a Brett Favre comeback..

What I don't understand is why Petter or Chris are not driving a Subaru at all this year. Can anyone confirm they turned down a partial schedule from Prodrive? If those drivers turned down Prodrive support then I have no problem with Marcus or anyone else driving a Subaru this year. But if PS and CA were not offerred the same opportunity by Prodrive as MG then I am dissapointed.

Shrike
24th February 2009, 17:40
By some of you guys absurd logic, every single driver except Loeb should retire from rally.

The guy ENJOYS it. Does it matter if he wins or places high? no, he will have fun anyway and I will enjoy seeing him back.

JFL
24th February 2009, 17:44
Petter has said many times, if he is going to be hired by someone, its going to be a full commitment/long term relationship. And that is what he is working against for the 2010 season. As he is now, he is not commited to anyone but himself, and is free to test/compete etc. for anyone..
He allready driven the Sub, so I guess he enjoys to do whatever he want. He says that Subaru and himself still have a very good relationship, and that is why he cant comment on the differences between the Subaru and the other cars he has tried...

BDunnell
24th February 2009, 20:27
I wish everyone would lay off Marcus for having a drive.

Me too. I think it's exciting and interesting.

sal
24th February 2009, 22:19
I'm sure Mrs Gronholm is not knocking Marcus for taking the drive as she has been wanting a new conservatory for some time...

Magnus
27th February 2009, 10:16
The best news for WRC since...I don´t know when...
Looking forward to it!