PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Byrne vids?

52Paddy
22nd February 2009, 18:01
Having finished reading Tommy Byrne's book "Crashed and Byrned," I'd really like to see the guy in action. Don't suppose any footage of his early career remains, does it?

He took part in Formula Ford 1600 and FF2000 in the late 70s, and then British F3 in the early 80s before that dreadful stint with Theodore and the McLaren test that was fruitless in terms of opportunities.

After that, although still quite competitive in America, I don't think his racing did his previous career justice. Would love to see footage of the young man in action, is it possible that he was ever caught on camera?

Rodriguez 917
19th March 2009, 22:01
I have already had a look on Youtube but I couldn't find anything. I agree though I would love to see some footage, brilliant book by the way don't you think!

52Paddy
24th March 2009, 08:25
Yeah the book is a great read. Footage, I feel, will be very difficult to come by. Maybe some videos from Formula Ford festivals of the late 70s or the British F3 championship in the early 80s.

wedge
9th February 2010, 15:40
That McLaren test
l7vpbDus9UI

1983 Macau GP
mYxieM_OGWU

52Paddy
9th February 2010, 19:52
Wow, great footage of the test! I never expected that to crop up. And I'm sure that the full race footage from macau is available somewhere. I've no doubt in my mind that, having seen that testing clip, he could have been a great driver. The engine note was screaming through those bends - fearless!

Cheers wedge :beer:

wedge
10th February 2010, 00:24
Basically an ex-McLaren mechanic sent the clip to Tommy.

He's got his own youtube page but nothing of much interest apart from the test video which I found by accident

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=crashorbyrne&view=videos