PDA

View Full Version : Jade Goody....

yodasarmpit
22nd February 2009, 12:03
Seriously, has the world gone mad.
Every news paper, every UK news channel and internet site is full of stories of Jade Goody and her wedding.

WHY ?

I understand she is dieing, but so are thousands of other people.
What has she ever done, other than appear on a reality TV show which she didn't even win.

Maybe I'm getting older, but I just can't understand the fascination with these so called celebrities, who are famous for being famous and nothing else.

Dave B
22nd February 2009, 14:23
I agree. I wish her no harm, and it's clearly tragic that a 27 year old faces leaving two kids without a mother, but honest to goodness I'm sick of the media frenzy around her like she's some chav version of Princess Di.

markabilly
22nd February 2009, 14:34
"Reality" shows are designed to make people famous for being nothing else but being on their show and doing dumb stuff......they are not famous for being famous, more like famous for just existing in some stupid appearance on tv

Recently saw a part of some really stupid show, where these three women were competing against each other for the attention of one so called bachleor and tons of prizes for winning....they were all talking about oh, "I never felt this way before, I think I am in love, I never felt this way before, yadddadada, I feel so close and special with him"....

meanwhile, he was spending a day and a NIGHT with each of them in succession, doing stuff, like making out in a hot tub and so forth, in succesion (one night with one, one night with the next and so forth, repeating the cycle with each of those "I am in so in luv with him" girls...hos...).....given the prize money aspect, the fact that they get this very expensive trip and activities and all this attention on television, the only word that I thought should apply was "ho ho ho"

as in 25 cent ho, looking for a 50 cent john....

As to our sweet 50 cent john, who acted a bit gay, with all his touchie, feelie, warm fuzzies, as to which little sweet ho he would want at the end.... money for nothing and your chicks for free....

Hazell B
22nd February 2009, 18:39
Not buying newspapers, I don't know how annoying the coverage has been, but I really do admire Mrs Tweed (as she is now, I think).

Putting cash by the bucketful away for your children is what all parents try and do - be honest, it is - and she's doing the best job she can. Any other ill person would try and do the same, I'm willing to bet.

Anyway, you don't have to read it ;)

donKey jote
22nd February 2009, 18:58
I agree Hazell, Goody on her :up:

it's all the other vultures cashing in that I find repulsive :vader:

driveace
22nd February 2009, 19:17
I have to totally agree with the first guy yodasarmpit,this is journalism gone mad.Yes the woman has not long to live,but she has already made millions from so called "reality shows",she get married to a guy who,s on parole,and unless she has made a GOOD will ,he will be minted.
Lots of other less fortunate women are in exactly the same position ,but they are unable to cash in for their children.
Is there no other INTERESTING news to occupy our front pages?

Drew
22nd February 2009, 19:42
I read all about it in an Italian newspaper too, so it's not just the UK!

Daniel
22nd February 2009, 21:40
I agree. I wish her no harm, and it's clearly tragic that a 27 year old faces leaving two kids without a mother, but honest to goodness I'm sick of the media frenzy around her like she's some chav version of Princess Di.
Agreed :up: Also agree with Hazell too :p

jim mcglinchey
22nd February 2009, 22:09
I

it's all the other vultures cashing in that I find repulsive :vader:

Yeah, like Max Clifford. Hes always in there.

Dave B
24th February 2009, 14:13
Yeah, like Max Clifford. Hes always in there.
I despise Max Clifford and everything he stands for.

And yet... and yet... I can't help but doff my cap to him for being extremely good at what he does, even if I find what he does morally repugnant.

(see also: Simon Cowell)

Hazell B
24th February 2009, 16:20
Without Clifford, we'd have no chavs that we've all heard of to slag.
He'll end up with a Knighthood, you mark my words :p :

Hazell B
24th February 2009, 16:37
Yes the woman has not long to live,but she has already made millions from so called "reality shows",she get married to a guy who,s on parole,and unless she has made a GOOD will ,he will be minted.

That, I'm afraid, it just plain heartless. So what if she has already made money? I doubt it's millions, by the way. So what if she wants millions more? It's costing you nothing at all (unlike some stars who advertise goods that you buy ;) ) and is only a short term thorn in your side. She is dying, it's not like she'll have years to annoy you and collect cash :mark:

Plus, patronising her by saying she hasn't the wit to make a will is nasty.
Financially, I'm willing to bet she's doing better than you and can therefore employ good lawyers ;)

Until recently I disliked all she stood for, now I think she's a damned good version of today's media invented celeb :up:

Sonic
24th February 2009, 19:17
The only good thing to come from this is the leap in the number of women getting checked themselves - the rest of the media circus is repulsive

driveace
25th February 2009, 15:12
Woops Hazel,I caught a sore point there then!!
BUT you dont know my financial position,and some of my friends would argue with your assumption !!!

PolePosition_1
25th February 2009, 16:12
I wish cancer on no one - but I do find it slightly annoying how everyone is falling over in showing support and going on about how great she is.

Unfortunately she is dying of cancer, but so are millions of other women (and men) around the world.

People go on about how great she is in work, and I get head bitten off for openingly disliking her. People also go on about her being in the public eye is good as she raising money for her childrens future.

Obviously I cannot talk for her, but for me personally, if I only had weeks to live, the last thing I'd want to do is spend it in the public eye. I'd rather escape all that and spend some good quality time with my family in private abroad somewhere, creating happy memories which I would have thought are more important than money, as with her millions in the bank, I'm sure either way her kids would not be subject to poverty.

Her agent is Max Clifford, one of the biggest PR doctors in the UK, he knows what he is doing, and thats making Jade a martyr, a brand so that more money will be made from her when she dies.

At the end of the day, Jade seems to be a person who openly admits to loving the limelight, she choose to be filmed 24/7 on a TV show to become famous, she's done a handful of programmes following her around her daily business, and hundreds of magazine stories about her. I think its a safe bet that she loves the attention. And I think this cancer business is just following on from that, and I find it annoying how everyone is acting as if shes the first young woman to have it and die from it.

Personally, whilst I'm sorry to hear she is to die to it, as I would of anyone, I have little respect for her. She goes on about doing it for her children etc, but I'm sure a more lasting effect for them would be good quality time with their mother than being hidden away whilst Jade is followed around by the press.

PolePosition_1
25th February 2009, 16:16
She is dying, it's not like she'll have years to annoy you and collect cash :mark:

I'd put money that she's turned into a martyr and in the public eye for many years to come.

Personally, all whats happening now, pre-meditated by Max Clifford and Jade, I think is putting all in place for whats needed to keep her name in the public eyes for years to come.

Storm
25th February 2009, 18:28
I read all about it in an Italian newspaper too, so it's not just the UK!

Its over here too in the tabloid sections (Times mostly) with Shilpa Shetty giving her "insights" as that Goody woman was here shooting a local version of BB when she got news of her illness.

I do not wish her any harm (it is indeed sad to see a young person with kids who is dying).
I don't have to read it (and I don't for the most part) and I manage to skip all the circus that is news/entertainment channels on TV as I never watch them, but I still have to wade through these sort of 'news' in the national daily..can't help but notice them!

Same with that McCann (?) kid who got kidnapped/died in Portugal...it was in the tabloids here for ages for no reason.

steve_spackman
25th February 2009, 18:30
I wish cancer on no one - but I do find it slightly annoying how everyone is falling over in showing support and going on about how great she is.

Unfortunately she is dying of cancer, but so are millions of other women (and men) around the world.

People go on about how great she is in work, and I get head bitten off for openingly disliking her. People also go on about her being in the public eye is good as she raising money for her childrens future.

Obviously I cannot talk for her, but for me personally, if I only had weeks to live, the last thing I'd want to do is spend it in the public eye. I'd rather escape all that and spend some good quality time with my family in private abroad somewhere, creating happy memories which I would have thought are more important than money, as with her millions in the bank, I'm sure either way her kids would not be subject to poverty.

Her agent is Max Clifford, one of the biggest PR doctors in the UK, he knows what he is doing, and thats making Jade a martyr, a brand so that more money will be made from her when she dies.

At the end of the day, Jade seems to be a person who openly admits to loving the limelight, she choose to be filmed 24/7 on a TV show to become famous, she's done a handful of programmes following her around her daily business, and hundreds of magazine stories about her. I think its a safe bet that she loves the attention. And I think this cancer business is just following on from that, and I find it annoying how everyone is acting as if shes the first young woman to have it and die from it.

Personally, whilst I'm sorry to hear she is to die to it, as I would of anyone, I have little respect for her. She goes on about doing it for her children etc, but I'm sure a more lasting effect for them would be good quality time with their mother than being hidden away whilst Jade is followed around by the press.

could not agree more...

she should be spending time with her family and making the most of her time left

Garry Walker
25th February 2009, 20:57
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1153665/HARRY-MOUNT-Why-love-Jade-vilify-University-Challenge-brainbox.html

A good article.
I despise this celebrity-obsessed "culture" we have these days. No day passes without some idiot celebrity being in news. But when shows like big brother are popular, it says a lot about the average intelligence of people.

Sometimes I wonder if I am alone in not caring about how many children does celebrity x have or who did celebrity Y date.

ShiftingGears
25th February 2009, 23:18
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1153665/HARRY-MOUNT-Why-love-Jade-vilify-University-Challenge-brainbox.html

A good article.
I despise this celebrity-obsessed "culture" we have these days. No day passes without some idiot celebrity being in news. But when shows like big brother are popular, it says a lot about the average intelligence of people.

Sometimes I wonder if I am alone in not caring about how many children does celebrity x have or who did celebrity Y date.

It is a good article. Sad, but good. If university challenges here got publicity, I hope that people don't react like those displaying their obviously inferior intellect.

Storm
26th February 2009, 06:42

You are not alone..although we seem to be in the minority in the world

harsha
27th February 2009, 11:56
my recollection of jade goody only goes back to that incident in some reality show where she was accused of racism...that's about it...i did feel a lot of the negative press she was getting was rather unwarranted (esp by the ****ed up Indian media)

anyway thoughts go out to her family...........

Bezza
2nd March 2009, 12:49
She has acheived what in her short life?

"Fame" from being horrendously stupid on a pointless TV programme, and then being racist in another version of the same pointless TV programme.

Yet, somehow, the media love her. Just because she has a terminal illness does not mean she will get my sympathy.

Her kids have my sympathy, but her and the media circus that surrounds her, make me think the UK is a complete joke.

Garry Walker
3rd March 2009, 13:59
She has acheived what in her short life?

"Fame" from being horrendously stupid on a pointless TV programme.

It seems that these are the people your average person regards as heroes and those with intellectual capabilities and bravery are mocked and laughed at.

A very sick society.

Dave B
3rd March 2009, 14:22
I see that her charming husband has once again been found guilty of assault. Interesting that this family are being held up as role models among certain sections of the media.

PolePosition_1
3rd March 2009, 16:25
Worse thing is that once she does pass away, she will be in the press even more, and held up as a martyr.

Drew
3rd March 2009, 16:47
Worse thing is that once she does pass away, she will be in the press even more, and held up as a martyr.

A martyr, what are you on about, what exactly has she been fighting for?!

Cooper_S
3rd March 2009, 23:40
I suspect that here will be a gutter press media frenzy for the few weeks after her demise...

But it will pass and we will never have to think of her ever again...

Unfortunatly as sure as night follows day there will be some other talentless wannabe to fill the vacuum.

Bezza
4th March 2009, 11:42

I agree - absolutely nothing! But it will happen.

turves
4th March 2009, 12:51
Her kids have my sympathy, but her and the media circus that surrounds her, make me think the UK is a complete joke.

Have you only just realised this...?

Hazell B
18th March 2009, 18:58
Well, the whole story really hit home for me this afternoon.

I was getting my vehicle an MOT when I recieved a phone call to say my cousin has cancer and might last the month if she's lucky. She was told only two days ago. She recently had a baby. She's just had her 42nd birthday. She was a nurse who cared for cancer patients until sunday morning.

Got to ring her twin brother tonight to see about a visit while we can.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Daniel
18th March 2009, 19:16
Makes you think, doesn't it?

Definitely. I remember my old next door neighbour, one moment she was quite strong and very active for a person of her age and the next moment she was in hospital looking frail and weak and then weeks later she passed away.

GridGirl
18th March 2009, 19:36
For every person that looses their life there are many survivors. We got a work email this week to tell us one of the girls who I work with is now cancer free and coming back to work next Monday after long fight with Leukemia.

I'm no Jade Goody fan but the media attention had bought to light alot of thing that can save more lives in the future. Screening for cervical cancer has gone up dramtically since it was annouced she'd got the disease and I'm sure I head they were lowering the age limits for testing too. This few weeks or months of media attention may have a lasting effect on a significant number of women.

donKey jote
18th March 2009, 20:38
sorry to hear that hazell.
my sister in law has just been diagnosed with thyroid cancer aged 30; 18 month old baby. Op scheduled for Tuesday.

Hazell B
19th March 2009, 16:37
.... I'm sure I head they were lowering the age limits for testing too.

No, sadly not. It's that the NHS used to call all women over 20 for a smear, then raised it to 25 about seven or so years ago. At the time a friend's partner was dying of cervical cancer, aged 26, after a three year battle so most of this area knew the NHS were wrong in their choice.

It was about cost cutting :mark:

Anyway, there's a call to go back to sending letters to all 20 year old women again.

What I don't get is why don't the bloody women have the nouce to just go and ask for a test anyway, whatever their age? Why should they need telling? :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 05:47
No, sadly not. It's that the NHS used to call all women over 20 for a smear, then raised it to 25 about seven or so years ago. At the time a friend's partner was dying of cervical cancer, aged 26, after a three year battle so most of this area knew the NHS were wrong in their choice.

It was about cost cutting :mark:

Anyway, there's a call to go back to sending letters to all 20 year old women again.

What I don't get is why don't the bloody women have the nouce to just go and ask for a test anyway, whatever their age? Why should they need telling? :rolleyes:

They are trying out this new vaccine in Canada that they are giving teenaged girls to stop this form of Cancer...the NHS might jump on that bandwagon.....

Hazell B
20th March 2009, 16:40
We already have it, or a version of it, but it doesn't work on the majority of the assorted cervical cancers we suffer. The ones that kill are the ones it's least helpful with unfortunately.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 17:47
Cancer sucks and I think it is a by-product of our modern lifestyle. We didn't have cancer when we died of diseases related to what we ate, and premature aging brought about by no medical science and overwork as serf's in a society with no modern convenenices. We live longer now because of all our technology and science, but cancer is the tradeoff....

Daniel
22nd March 2009, 16:57
So Jade Goody has passed on and is front page news on the BBC site as well as the leading story on BBC News 24 :mark: Am I the only one who finds it strange that there is so much publicity around this? I mean it's definitely raised the profile of cervical cancer which is certainly a good thing but let's not forget that Jade was famous for being a bit thick as well as coming out with some pretty apalling racist comments directed at Shilpa Shetty on Celebrity Big Brother.

Far more famous and well loved people have died in the past yet not had this sort of coverage around their deaths :mark:

Anyhoo RIP Jade and it's good to finally know you're not in pain anymore.

Mark
23rd March 2009, 08:31
So Jade Goody has passed on and is front page news on the BBC site as well as the leading story on BBC News 24 :mark: Am I the only one who finds it strange that there is so much publicity around this? I mean it's definitely raised the profile of cervical cancer which is certainly a good thing but let's not forget that Jade was famous for being a bit thick as well as coming out with some pretty apalling racist comments directed at Shilpa Shetty on Celebrity Big Brother.

Far more famous and well loved people have died in the past yet not had this sort of coverage around their deaths :mark:

You're not alone. I do find it strange that people attitudes to someone can completely change as soon as they are dead.

Don't get me wrong, her passing is a tragedy for her family and friends. But she is just one of thousands of men and women who lose the fight with cancer every year, I only hope this can be of some help to them.

However, I don't beleive it is the place of the Prime Minister to be commenting upon someones death like this. It's the PM's place to comment on the deaths of the likes of members of the royal family, not a celebrity. But I guess he's going to get panned if he does or if he doesn't,

Bezza
23rd March 2009, 09:16
You're not alone. I do find it strange that people attitudes to someone can completely change as soon as they are dead.

Don't get me wrong, her passing is a tragedy for her family and friends. But she is just one of thousands of men and women who lose the fight with cancer every year, I only hope this can be of some help to them.

However, I don't beleive it is the place of the Prime Minister to be commenting upon someones death like this. It's the PM's place to comment on the deaths of the likes of members of the royal family, not a celebrity. But I guess he's going to get panned if he does or if he doesn't,

Agree on the Gordon Brown part. It has got absolutely nothing to do with him, and his pandering bandwagon-jumping made me cringe.

I fully expect him now to commend EVERY cancer sufferer who dies from now on, as Jade Goody was nothing special. Cancer kills people every day.

ShiftingGears
23rd March 2009, 09:20
Jade Goody was nothing special. Cancer kills people every day.

My viewpoint exactly.

Dave B
23rd March 2009, 11:44
Agree on the Gordon Brown part. It has got absolutely nothing to do with him, and his pandering bandwagon-jumping made me cringe.
I've got a hunch that "call me Dave" got there first, from that point onwards if Brown didn't echo those sentiments he risked looking uncaring.

gadjo_dilo
23rd March 2009, 12:41
That, I'm afraid, it just plain heartless. So what if she has already made money? I doubt it's millions, by the way. So what if she wants millions more? It's costing you nothing at all (unlike some stars who advertise goods that you buy ;) ) and is only a short term thorn in your side. She is dying, it's not like she'll have years to annoy you and collect cash :mark:

Well, as far as I know celebrities would die with a sort of dignity and most of them even keep their suffering in private. To cash money by selling your degrading body image is rather in bad taste and those who are interested in such pics are ( no offence ) sick. I don't care how much money she made out of it, the means she used were disgusting.

I've seen her monther on TV ( yes, even here in Romania we have updates on this Mrs.Nothing, but that's no wonder as we have our own media fauna including the porno dwarf, the sexy Braila girl , mr.Little-Butt + other hundreds of nobodies to invade our eyes ) and she was asking for ...PRIVACY.
Is it reasonable to ask to be left alone after your image was plasted in all the tabloids for months ?

Cooper_S
23rd March 2009, 13:30
well I am truly saddened that a young mother has died...

but I am also very relieved that this sordid tale is finally over and can be forgotten about... i expect some b/s for the next few weeks but then bliss

I just wonder who Max Cliffard and the OK mob will leech off next...

PolePosition_1
23rd March 2009, 16:08

I'm afriad its true. I guess you could argue she stood for self confidence, stood up for herself, and early screenings.

She's even requested a public funeral so the nation can mourn for her.

Its a sad picture of society that she is held up as a role model.

PolePosition_1
23rd March 2009, 16:16

I find it slightly sickly to be honest.

Whilst I'm obviously sad to hear a young lady has died to cancer, leaving 2 young children behind, you have to question how this has come about.

Jade was an ignorant young lady, who seeked and loved the lime light, in many respects her life was to be famous.

Its rumoured she knew about the tumour before going into Big Brother India, but went in and wanted to be told on air, to get more publicity. The fact her being told was shown on air would support this.

We also have Max Clifford as her PR agent, a kind of guru in manipulating the media. Since her discovery that she has cancer, its as if they've played on this to make her even more famous, and to make her into some kind of matyr.

The tabloid media has totally backed this up, and the nation has fallen to it. She's even requested a public funeral, knowing this will give more headlines.

I just find it slightly sickening to be honest, stripped down, this is essentially a PR stunt, and its worked a treat, the tabloids have so much power, we even have Gordon Brown and Cameron releasing statements saying they're sad to hear of her death. I just find it ridiculous, she wasn't a particularly nice girl, and is being held up as a role model by the tabloids, which to be fair is the sector of the media most influenctial to the Britian of tomorrow.

Daniel
23rd March 2009, 17:24
I've got a hunch that "call me Dave" got there first, from that point onwards if Brown didn't echo those sentiments he risked looking uncaring.
Well Gordie would have earnt a lot of points with a lot of people for not saying anything.

Someone on my Facebook had "please stop inviting me to Jade goody groups. I really dont care about it. Thanks" as their status today and I completely agree with him :up:

emporer_k
23rd March 2009, 18:10
Its a sad picture of society that she is held up as a role model.

My thoughts exactly

Dave B
23rd March 2009, 18:12
Well Gordie would have earnt a lot of points with a lot of people for not saying anything.

Someone on my Facebook had "please stop inviting me to Jade goody groups. I really dont care about it. Thanks" as their status today and I completely agree with him :up:
I was seriously considering deleting any friends who had "RIP Jade" in their status at one point yesterday :\

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2009, 23:53
I didn't know she was one of those "famous for being famous" types but I do find false "concern" and "my condolences" messages from total strangers phonier than hell. Gordon Brown probably did a poll tho and figured he would alienate the dumb and stupid who are all in tears over this.

It is sad that a mother is dead but I agree with you guys. Enough already...

stevie_gerrard
24th March 2009, 13:44
I think the whole spectacle was a good way of advertising the need for women to get themselves screened more so this thing doesnt happen to millions of people as it does every year. But i honestly think that this media coverage of the whole thing is ridiculous, no matter how much she wants the money. A poor woman is dying and its being portrayed all over the news. I'm sure she probably asked for all this media coverage, but surely we should respect peoples rights to be in peace and just let her get on with the few weeks she had left of her life? It can't be nice for the kids either seeing it on the news everyday, that their mum is going to die.

I don't agree with it all, and the sooner the media leave the story alone, the better. The media are like this with any big story, trying to get their way, and its just not right. The OK tribute to Jade Goody released before her death was quite distasteful as well, for those who havent read it. I just couldn't understand why they couldn't have waited until she died. It would have been false hope to expect her to live from something so horrible as this, but releasing an obituary before shes even dead? that went too far.

Garry Walker
26th March 2009, 15:39
Why the fcuk is she still in the media? I come from a completely different country than UK, yet even my online newspapers had stories about this pseudo-celebrity infecting their pages.

Zico
26th March 2009, 19:21
Yeah, sick PR stunt.. Max Clifford.. you freak!.. but if its saved even 1 life, something I believe it will certainly have done many times over, then the good that has come out of it far outweighs the annoyance factor of seeing her coupon on the front page of the newspaper nearly every day.

RIP Jade and condolances to your husband and Family.

ShiftingGears
15th April 2009, 05:14
A little late, but I just found this excellent summary by Michael Parkinson.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/parky-slams-late-tv-star-goody-20090408-9zth.html

"Jade Goody has her own place in the history of television and, while it's significant, it's nothing to be proud of," Parkinson wrote in the Radio Times weekly magazine.

"Her death is as sad as the death of any young person, but it's not the passing of a martyr or a saint or, God help us, Princess Di," added Parkinson, known as Parky in Britain, Australia and elsewhere.

He added: "When we clear the media smokescreen from around her death, what we're left with is a woman who came to represent all that's paltry and wretched about Britain today."

Zico
24th April 2009, 01:27
Now I've seen it all...

JADE GOODY.. the musical !!!

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/blog/article/173451/

I've heard Sigourney Weaver is tipped for the lead role.. ;)