PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Soldier Convicted of Murder

Eki
21st February 2009, 22:30
It's good news that this war criminal got convicted. What made his crime even worse was that he was a medic, who are supposed to save lives and not take them. For example in WW2 Finnish military doctors took first care of Soviet soldiers who were more badly wounded than Finnish soldiers. That's the way doctors and medics should work, based on the need and not nationality.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,497804,00.html

U.S. Soldier Convicted of Murder for Role in Execution-Style Slayings of 4 Iraqis
Friday, February 20, 2009

Print ShareThisVILSECK, Germany — A military court has sentenced a U.S. Army medic convicted of murder for his role in the execution-style slayings of four bound and blindfolded Iraqi detainees to life in prison with the possibility of parole.

The sentence was handed down Friday night after nearly five hours of testimony. Sgt. Joseph Leahy, 28, will also have his rank reduced to private, his pay forfeited and be dishonorably discharged.

Leahy was found guilty on charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder by the nine-person jury who had heard testimony about the killings at the court-martial at the Army's Rose Barracks Courthouse since Wednesday.

Cooper_S
21st February 2009, 22:46
I'm not sure he'd have been convicted under the previous US administration...

Is this a sign of change, or is it just coincidence, can't say one way or the other but I'm sure both side will take something from it.

Camelopard
21st February 2009, 23:32
It's good news that this war criminal got convicted. What made his crime even worse was that he was a medic, who are supposed to save lives and not take them.

U.S. Soldier Convicted of Murder for Role in Execution-Style Slayings of 4 Iraqis
Friday, February 20, 2009

I bet he gets a presidential pardon at some stage in the future.......

To save a future president the trouble and the US taxpayers millions, they should just execute him now.............

airshifter
22nd February 2009, 00:43

Is this a sign of change, or is it just coincidence, can't say one way or the other but I'm sure both side will take something from it.

A military court martial has nothing to do with what administration is in office. For the most part the military justice system is much more harsh and unforgiving than any process outside of the military.

I'd be all for harsh treatment of the guy, as it's a terrible representation of the military. Of course, those that live in countries where their entire military is "perfect" probably think he should be spared.

Cooper_S
22nd February 2009, 00:59
Well yes of course that is true...a military court martial has nothing to do with what administration is in office.... officially.

I admit this verdict is pure coincidence, and in no way reflects on any conspiracy

Camelopard
22nd February 2009, 23:17

To save a future president the trouble and the US taxpayers millions, they should just execute him now.............

deafening silence from fausto.................................. :)

Camelopard
26th February 2009, 11:50
deafening silence from fausto.................................. :)

FAUSTO! Still waiting, should this murderer be executed or not???????

Mark in Oshawa
26th February 2009, 14:11

You are saying he wouldn't have been found guilty if Bush was president? Who was president when he was charged and the UCMJ was convened? Not Obama my friend. This likely was going on for a while.

Obama had NOTHING to do with this nor did Bush. The US military contrary to popular belief has rules and they are civilized codes of behaviour, which I know Eki would refuse to believe.

As for your Finnish Medics Eki, that is admirable and most Medics in all civilized nations have done similiar. Also all armies have had one or two loose idiots who snap under the stress of war and do things that are considered war crimes. The point is, does the brass do something about these people? In the US Army, yes people are investigated and people are charged. This is proof of it, and although many here refuse to believe it, this has NOTHING to do with who is President.

Mark in Oshawa
26th February 2009, 14:15
FAUSTO! Still waiting, should this murderer be executed or not???????

Fousto likely would say kill him. He believes in Capital Punishment and all that...but I wont speak for him. Personally, when it comes to soldiers who commit such crimes, I am all for the death penalty. Usually the prosecution and defense have the true story out before the court and there is very little gray areas, unlike civilian courts....

Garry Walker
26th February 2009, 14:30
I am not sure what the point of this topic really was, except only for Eki to get some satisfaction for posting something negative about America.

That says a lot about you.

AAReagles
26th February 2009, 21:13

Yes he should be executed.

Unfortunately I agree that he'll get a pardon of some sort or reduced sentence. As long as it isn't something as outrageous as being punished with a house arrest - which was the case of William Laws Calley, Jr., an Army Lt. who, to the best of my knowledge, was the only person charged in the My Lai Massacre.

Cooper_S
26th February 2009, 21:53
That says a lot about you.

Actually it say something... but not a lot :p