PDA

View Full Version : This is interesting............

MJW
18th February 2009, 19:44
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73322

Looks like something might finally be resolved? Also interesting story in Motorsport News (print) published in UK today where Olivier Quensel suggests its time for WRC & IRC to merge, starting with Monte next year.

HaCo
18th February 2009, 19:45
I read it yesterday as well, but still no news from the front... :)

PLuto
18th February 2009, 19:56
Nothing new...

ste898
18th February 2009, 21:47
what a stupid idea why bring down the IRC to the same boring level as WRC yawn!!!!!!

WRC1
18th February 2009, 22:08
what a stupid idea why bring down the IRC to the same boring level as WRC yawn!!!!!!

well said!! agree on that.

i hope eurosport is not so stupid and let them (the FIA) destroy their product!

Shrike
19th February 2009, 03:10
I agree with above. This is a VERY bad idea. The bright future of the IRC will be overshadowed by the dark cloud of the WRC.

Brother John
19th February 2009, 07:18
Wait till after the meeting, then it becomes clear that the F.I.A., ISC and........ are in search of money to keep the wrc!

Barreis
19th February 2009, 07:24
The problem is that WRC had bad image and that's why EUROSPORT started new series.. What are interests for sponsors in WRC? If seat costs 185000 eura/rally and only the best are on tv who will be that "smart" to give all that money for only one event?! Better solution is S2000 car that costs new 250000 eura (tarmac&gravel set up included) and from next season is "regular" with extra kit..

AndyRAC
19th February 2009, 07:58
Can't really see what's in it for the IRC, a series which is making progress all the time - added to different tyre companies/choices, routes. The WRC is the opposite - has the name/drivers, but silly single tyre rule, restrictive routes, etc
Can't somebody just shoot the ailing WRC and be done with it......

Barreis
19th February 2009, 09:05
It's so good that WRC has oposition.. After MC rally 2009 we saw more live stages on computer BUT NOT ON TV..

bluuford
19th February 2009, 09:12
I think that there is nothing bad when there are two good series for the sport. But at the moment it seems that in the current situation the best solution is when they are merged. IRC has spoiled its fans in Monte and I think many of you are going to disappoint in IRC in Brazil. Why not to run both series at the same time. IRC has always stupidly ignored those who are not registered in IRC. So, Why not to run both of them in one event and IRC just replacing JWRC (2 wheel drive cup in IRC) and PWRC (IRC top class).

It is good solution for the fans who spectate (can see more and different cars) and good for those who spectate behind their computer or TV. IRC rented quite a lot of broadcasting equipment from WRC in Monte anyway. In my mind it is the greatest idea in last 10 years (if it happens like I described). So, we can see S2000+ as top class and IRC as a little bit cheaper feeding series at the same time with S2000. Otherwise it is pointless when we have less than 30 finishers (29) at the end of rally like we had in IRC in Monte and top 10 separated by half hour or WRC Ireland (28 finishers) where top 10 was in 15 minutes.

Forget that silly talk that one is good and other is bad. Lets make it all together great!

Brother John
19th February 2009, 09:18
It's so good that WRC has oposition.. After MC rally 2009 we saw more live stages on computer BUT NOT ON TV..

Live stages? Where and when have you seen that? Four hours later thatīs not live!

urabus-denoS2000
19th February 2009, 09:23
I think that there is nothing bad when there are two good series for the sport. But at the moment it seems that in the current situation the best solution is when they are merged. IRC has spoiled its fans in Monte and I think many of you are going to disappoint in IRC in Brazil. Why not to run both series at the same time. IRC has always stupidly ignored those who are not registered in IRC. So, Why not to run both of them in one event and IRC just replacing JWRC (2 wheel drive cup in IRC) and PWRC (IRC top class).

It is good solution for the fans who spectate (can see more and different cars) and good for those who spectate behind their computer or TV. IRC rented quite a lot of broadcasting equipment from WRC in Monte anyway. In my mind it is the greatest idea in last 10 years (if it happens like I described). So, we can see S2000+ as top class and IRC as a little bit cheaper feeding series at the same time with S2000. Otherwise it is pointless when we have less than 30 finishers (29) at the end of rally like we had in IRC in Monte and top 10 separated by half hour or WRC Ireland (28 finishers) where top 10 was in 15 minutes.

Forget that silly talk that one is good and other is bad. Lets make it all together great!

????

Who was dissapointed in IRC Monte (apart from those who just cant admit that IRC is more interesting)???

Last time I checked everybody was thrilled with the Monte!!!
IRC grew up to the expectations and more than that!

I'm sorry but maybe the fact that the "top 10 were separated by half an hour" has to to with that being a snow rally,with lots of offs and wrong tyre mistake!

Look at some old group A Monte results,you'll see that the differences were about the same!
IRC always said that was going to be a old-style Monte and indeed it was!
And everybody was so happy

bluuford
19th February 2009, 09:28
????

Who was dissapointed in IRC Monte (apart from those who just cant admit that IRC is more interesting)???

Last time I checked everybody was thrilled with the Monte!!!
IRC grew up to the expectations and more than that!

I'm sorry but maybe the fact that the "top 10 were separated by half an hour" has to to with that being a snow rally,with lots of offs and wrong tyre mistake!

Look at some old group A Monte results,you'll see that the differences were about the same!
IRC always said that was going to be a old-style Monte and indeed it was!
And everybody was so happy

I told many of you are going to be dissapointed in IRC in Brazil after good start in Monte. Sorry if I didn't made my statement clear. There are only 10 cars in Brazil Entry list that qualify in IRC and 34 in total. Who knows how many of them will not start.

I am not saying that one is good or other is bad. I told that we can make it much much better when they are merged in one event. This is stupid when you have two rallies in different series with weak competition.

urabus-denoS2000
19th February 2009, 09:40
I told many of you are going to be dissapointed in IRC in Brazil after good start in Monte. Sorry if I didn't made my statement clear. There are only 10 cars in Brazil Entry list that qualify in IRC and 34 in total. Who knows how many of them will not start.

Ahhh OK then ;)

I don't think anybody expected much from Brazil,this is (still) a championship for dealers teams around Europe and I dont think rallys outside Europe are smart...

Although Brazil is quite a big market for Peugeot and Fiat,both very important manufacters in that country .

Brother John
19th February 2009, 09:43
Why not to run both of them in one event and IRC just replacing JWRC (2 wheel drive cup in IRC) and PWRC (IRC top class).

If they have to go together, I see it more like this.

1-Group N. Real standart cars.2WD, including all the R class cars. PWRC
(Private World Rally Championship)
2-S2000.Like it is at the moment! IWRC
(International World Rally Challenge)
3-T2000.Turbo charged with less high Tech. then the current wrc cars.WRC
And without JWRC class! There is already choice enough to show yourself.
The F.I.A. must make it simply simple and cheaper!

AndyRAC
19th February 2009, 09:46
Can't see it happening - what happens next year with Monte? Do we get a WRC Monte, or a IRC Monte?

HaCo
19th February 2009, 09:50
I think IRC should stay away from WRC because it gives some extra attention to other (smaller) events than WRC events. When it is merged, the calendar will stay on 10-12 events so all the IRC events right now will be dropped (except for Monte maybe?).

And for what? Because Citroen absolutely want Monte on the WRC calendar. If they have the guts, they step out of the WRC because it is so bad and let Loeb drive a Pug in IRC instead (or a Citroen whatever) (and Loeb will win again, no doubt).

If IRC and WRC will be merged, Citroen or Peugeot will leave, Quensel said they will not do 2 championships with 2 PSA brands.

HaCo
19th February 2009, 09:51
Btw, WRC allready has its IRC: PWRC.

Brother John
19th February 2009, 09:59
I think IRC should stay away from WRC because it gives some extra attention to other (smaller) events than WRC events. When it is merged, the calendar will stay on 10-12 events so all the IRC events right now will be dropped (except for Monte maybe?).

And for what? Because Citroen absolutely want Monte on the WRC calendar. If they have the guts, they step out of the WRC because it is so bad and let Loeb drive a Pug in IRC instead (or a Citroen whatever) (and Loeb will win again, no doubt).

If IRC and WRC will be merged, Citroen or Peugeot will leave, Quensel said they will not do 2 championships with 2 PSA brands.

I think that you are right Haco. For this reason I wrote,
If they have to go together. ;)

RS
19th February 2009, 15:59
I told many of you are going to be dissapointed in IRC in Brazil after good start in Monte.

You are right there, but when IRC gets back to the main European season then the entry lists should be even better than Monte.

All in all, I don't see what is in this idea for IRC, or it's manufacturers. Why would Skoda, Peugeot, Abarth want to compete for the minor places and little coverage as a second league in WRC events when they can fight for outright wins and get good tv coverage in IRC.

bluuford
19th February 2009, 20:38
You are right there, but when IRC gets back to the main European season then the entry lists should be even better than Monte.

All in all, I don't see what is in this idea for IRC, or it's manufacturers. Why would Skoda, Peugeot, Abarth want to compete for the minor places and little coverage as a second league in WRC events when they can fight for outright wins and get good tv coverage in IRC.

You know.. they are not. IRC just keeps on ignoring that there are some faster cars or drivers. Like they have done so far.
Positive side is that there are more spectators, they will take over possible JWRC entrants to their 2WD category and they will take over PWRC category drivers to their main class. Additionally they can share broadcasting equipment with WRC. It is not possible now when they are going to Brazil and WRC starts week later in Europe. WRC counts them all, but IRC keeps ignoring those who rae not registered in IRC. If S2000+ formula starts to work, then there is a risk that some teams and drivers move to S2000+ level only. It seems to be very complicated stuff. Afterall, Eurosport is still channel which wants to make profit.

RS
19th February 2009, 21:01
You know.. they are not. IRC just keeps on ignoring that there are some faster cars or drivers. Like they have done so far.
Positive side is that there are more spectators, they will take over possible JWRC entrants to their 2WD category and they will take over PWRC category drivers to their main class. Additionally they can share broadcasting equipment with WRC. It is not possible now when they are going to Brazil and WRC starts week later in Europe. WRC counts them all, but IRC keeps ignoring those who rae not registered in IRC. If S2000+ formula starts to work, then there is a risk that some teams and drivers move to S2000+ level only. It seems to be very complicated stuff. Afterall, Eurosport is still channel which wants to make profit.

Who are these faster cars or drivers who IRC are ignoring that you keep mentioning? I can only think of one or two examples, and besides jWRC and pWRC competitors who are not registered are also ignored.

Mirek
19th February 2009, 21:20
Yes, that happended only few times. In Russia with Novikov on Subaru, in China with Crocker and Heridge on Subaru, on Safari with Rautenbach on Subaru and during the first leg on Sanremo 07 with Longhi on Subaru. Only in China and Safari it was the case of top final results.

And as RS said, non-PWRC N4 drivers and non-JWRC A6, A7, N3 drivers are also ignored by wrc.com.

The reason is particularly same. Who doesn't pay entry fee, is ignored. In IRC there is only manufacturer entry for whole season which is good for crews (they don't pay any registration). If some manufacturer doesn't want to pay, it's not problem of IRC but manufacturer's (may lost customers for example). In JWRC and PWRC there is an entry for crews which is quite high...

urabus-denoS2000
19th February 2009, 21:48
And there should be no more problems because Subaru is now registered

Sulland
19th February 2009, 23:24
And there should be no more problems because Subaru is now registered

Is that official, cant see the Subaru crest on the IRC website, but it took a while until Skoda turned up as well !

Rally Power
19th February 2009, 23:42
Coooooooooooooooooool!

According to a irish senator quoted by rallybuzz, FIA is going to drop the rotational scheme for the WRC, puting in place a 14 permanent rallys calendar!!!

I'm dreaming or what :confused:

urabus-denoS2000
20th February 2009, 07:40
Is that official, cant see the Subaru crest on the IRC website, but it took a while until Skoda turned up as well !

It's official

Mirek
20th February 2009, 11:49
Urabus: Where is it written or what is the source?