PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Rally in the summer?

swordsman
18th February 2009, 09:51
Okay, you guys may think I'm crazy (don't shoot me, please) - but why not arrange the Swedish Rally in the summer? I know we already have Finland and that there are quite many gravel events, but it still makes some sense. I've been against such things before, but things have changed making the picture a bit different.

Indonesia wants to get out, so Sweden could take their slot. Also, Rally Norway proved excellent, so they could take Swedens position every year. And the skilled organisation in Sweden that has been ranked as one of the best in the world could have a totally new event to shape with a new, creative mind and new energy. It's also much easier to arrange a summer event in many ways - especially economically - which would offer a way to the organisation to recover their economy (the bad situation is very much caused by the bad weather in 2008 and the fact that they don't have an event this year).

So, it's certainly not a given success - but it's worth a try. Better a really good summer event than a bad winter event. Or?
What do you guys think?

(I've written a more extensive post on this on my blog for anyone interested)

MartijnS
18th February 2009, 10:27
I thought they are only allowed to drive in the winter, because the cars destroy the roads too much when there's no snow?

bennizw
18th February 2009, 10:29
I think it's a good idea! A couple of the stages I went to under Rally Norway were run as gravel stages under the Rally Hedemarken last year, and they look completely different with the snow. Therefore it could be a nice and new challenge for the drivers, even if they run the same stages.

swordsman
18th February 2009, 10:57
I thought they are only allowed to drive in the winter, because the cars destroy the roads too much when there's no snow?

I'm quite sure not exactly the same stages can be used, but I guess one could find good stages even in the summer in the same region. They must keep quite high quality to reduce the cost of restoring afterwards, but I know that rallies are held on some of the roads during summer. For example the part of Vargåsen where Colin's crest is has been used. I guess it's just a matter of will and work, there is absolutely no form of rule saying they can't be used in the summer.

pino
18th February 2009, 11:07
You are crazy swordsman :p : I want Sweden in Winter time :up:

AndyRAC
18th February 2009, 11:11
Why not run Monte in the summer as well.....and Acropolis in winter.....

swordsman
18th February 2009, 11:19
You are crazy swordsman :p : I want Sweden in Winter time :up:

Well, it's a hard thought for me to - but isn't it better to go to norway in the winter and then sweden in the summer? You still get a winter rally and then you get a summer rally too :P

Wim_Impreza
18th February 2009, 11:28
Sorry swordsman, I find it a stupid idea. Swedish Rally has always been in winter and, when there was enough snow, it was great. I even find we must have 2 snow events each year in WRC: Sweden and Norway. There are too much gravel events and you have already Finland in the summer.

Sulland
18th February 2009, 11:52
We need at least two snowrallies a year - so keep both Sweden and Norway at winter dates !

Ghostwalker
18th February 2009, 11:53
I do like the idea especially since its not likely to be as good winter conditions around Karlstad as in Norway around Hamar/Lillehammer.
Maybe if they would have the stages sligthly further North around the border of Northern Värmland and Southwest Dalarna.

Another option would be a rotation system between Sweden/Finland.
If both rallies are to be run every year again i wouldnt mind if sweden/finland alternated as summer/winter rally every 2nd year.

you know :
"odd years (11/13/15...)" Sweden-Winter/Finland-Summer
"even years (12/14/16...)" Sweden-Summer/Finland-Winter.

pino
18th February 2009, 12:19
Well, it's a hard thought for me to - but isn't it better to go to norway in the winter and then sweden in the summer? You still get a winter rally and then you get a summer rally too :P

Two snow events will be the best solution :up: ;)

Glee
18th February 2009, 12:51

You destroy the road when you run on them with studded ice tires when they are muddy when the ice is melting.

With normal tires on normal roads that would not be a problem.

Karukera
18th February 2009, 13:20
Yeah, why not a summer Swedish Rally ?

But what i'd really like to see is a winter rally in Finland, i'm sure the Suomi guys would love to home and win a snow rally on the holy land of rallying.

J4MIE
18th February 2009, 13:55
With normal tires on normal roads that would not be a problem.

You don't think that normal gravel roads get destroyed at a rally? :crazy:

Mirek
18th February 2009, 14:47
Even tarmac roads are often destroyed during rally (don't mean Catalunya-lika ones) ;)

Ghostwalker
18th February 2009, 14:50
You don't think that normal gravel roads get destroyed at a rally? :crazy:

i dont think the difference would be that big compared to last year.