PDA

View Full Version : Funny Subs

Roamy
16th February 2009, 19:59
now this is funny

LONDON — Nuclear-armed submarines from Britain and France collided in the Atlantic Ocean earlier this month, authorities acknowledged Monday — touching off new concerns about the safety of the world's deep sea missile fleets.

The Brits must have had Lucas Radar :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
And the Frogs had citroen computers :laugh: :laugh:

MrJan
16th February 2009, 20:14
I just saw this, both subs had sonar turned off and were using microphones, even worse is that the French are reporting that neither sub knew until they returned to base :laugh:

Eki
16th February 2009, 20:52
I thought this thread was about sandwiches. I like meatball Subs. Two Subways restaurants in Reykjavik, Iceland had meatball Subs on their menu but neither actually had them when I ordered one. That was funny.

steve_spackman
16th February 2009, 20:56
now this is funny

LONDON — Nuclear-armed submarines from Britain and France collided in the Atlantic Ocean earlier this month, authorities acknowledged Monday — touching off new concerns about the safety of the world's deep sea missile fleets.

The Brits must have had Lucas Radar :laugh: :laugh:
And the Frogs had citroen computers :laugh: :laugh:

:rolleyes:

Drew
16th February 2009, 23:55
I love the quote from the BBC: "The submarines are equipped with sonar to detect other vessels nearby but our correspondent said it might be the case that the anti-sonar devices, meant to hide the submarines from enemies, were "too effective"."
:rotflmao:

Easy Drifter
17th February 2009, 02:58
So which crew is going to be first to start yelling---
'I want my lawyer, Whiplash whiplash!!!!' :eek:

anthonyvop
17th February 2009, 03:46
I love the quote from the BBC: "The submarines are equipped with sonar to detect other vessels nearby but our correspondent said it might be the case that the anti-sonar devices, meant to hide the submarines from enemies, were "too effective"."
:rotflmao:
That shows you how useless the BBC is as a news gathering outfit.

Subs rarely use SONAR. You see when you use SONAR everybody knows where you are.

Way to do some research BBC!

Dave B
17th February 2009, 10:38

Subs rarely use SONAR. You see when you use SONAR everybody knows where you are.

Funny, because the French sub was fitted with Thales DMUX 80 sonar and the French Navy have confirmed it was being used.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5746690.ece

rah
17th February 2009, 12:18

Just about all subs use SONAR. But rarely active SONAR which I think you are talking about. All subs that have SONAR equipment can usually operate in passive or active, but as you say active means everyone know where you are.

turves
17th February 2009, 12:38
Was Rautencrash driving?

jim mcglinchey
17th February 2009, 15:32
I thought this thread was about sandwiches. I like meatball Subs. Two Subways restaurants in Reykjavik, Iceland had meatball Subs on their menu but neither actually had them when I ordered one. That was funny.

thats because the meatballs were piloting the nooklear subs, boom boom, now thats funny...I'll get me coat.

schmenke
17th February 2009, 16:12
Just about all subs use SONAR. But rarely active SONAR which I think you are talking about. All subs that have SONAR equipment can usually operate in passive or active, but as you say active means everyone know where you are.

Yep. Subs detect their surroundings by relying on "passive" sonar, which doesn't reveal your position. "Active" sonar, the one associated with the typical "ping" sound, gives away the subs position hence is rarely used.

donKey jote
17th February 2009, 19:18
"ping" said the french sub...
"pong" was the british reply

Easy Drifter
17th February 2009, 22:14
Bonk was the joint reply. :eek:

inimitablestoo
17th February 2009, 22:31
Much hilarity drawn from this at work. I think the funniest gags involved two blokes in diving suits, outside the subs, exchanging insurance details; and one captain saying, "Anything on the sonar?" to which his crew member replies "I can't tell over this annoying beeping noise"...

Cooper_S
17th February 2009, 22:50
At least they have subs... we have no air force and a five small ships... :D

schmenke
17th February 2009, 22:52
Tsk, it's been a while since I've experienced such sub-standard humour :dozey:

Easy Drifter
17th February 2009, 22:55
Schmenke: Don't forget with our fleet of used UK subs you get a permanently sinking feeling.

schmenke
17th February 2009, 23:04
Schmenke: Don't forget with our fleet of used UK subs you get a permanently sinking feeling.

The Canadian government was trying to get the Brits to pay for the repairs, but they kept arguing that they signed a water-tight deal.