PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKING: Kimi stops drinking

mstillhere
15th February 2009, 18:39
According to the Italian magazine "Quattroruote" Kimi has decided to stop drinking alcohol during the F1 championship. Still according to the article this is Kimi's decsion and it was not imposed by Ferrari. I wonder if this decision woulkd help the Finnish driver regaining his lost touch.(http://www.quattroruote.it/news/articolo.cfm?codice=172091)

Also, I wonder what is the negative effect fro a F1 driver or benefits for that matter. Anyone has more info about this?

SGWilko
15th February 2009, 18:49
Aha, that would explain the fall in the share price of Diageo then.....!

Tazio
15th February 2009, 19:06
Also, I wonder what is the negative effect fro a F1 driver or benefits for that matter. Anyone has more info about this?
Alcohol in system = impaired judgment

No alcohol in system = alert

This is a good "test" for Kimi. I've held the opinion that he may be an alcoholic.
Not that we will ever know what Kimi does behind closed doors, (where is NotW when you need them)
but if he can go an entire season off the sauce he may just be a big-time partier.
Not that the two are mutually exclusive!

Easy Drifter
15th February 2009, 19:59
What will he do with the Champers on the Podium?
Demand Milk?

ioan
15th February 2009, 20:03
I read that he rubbished that report that first surfaced in a Finnish newspaper.

BDunnell
15th February 2009, 20:18
Whether or not this case is true, it's an interesting topic. I believe that Hannu Mikkola managed to stop himself drinking too much at least once when he was a top rally driver, so there is one example of a career that wasn't unduly affected by excessive alcohol consumption thanks to the driver concerned recognising his problem.

markabilly
16th February 2009, 00:30
I think kimi should stop drinking booze during the F1 races. After and before the race, like they say about Max, that is his personal business

Besides, I understand it interferes with the medically intended effects of Ritalin....

mstillhere
16th February 2009, 01:58

This is a good "test" for Kimi. I've held the opinion that he may be an alcoholic.
Not that we will ever know what Kimi does behind closed doors, (where is NotW when you need them)
but if he can go an entire season off the sauce he may just be a big-time partier.

Are you guys saying that Kimi would get in his car during a race drunk or at least with some alcohol in his blood? Would you care to elaborate? Do you know if Ferrari knew and they still let him driving under influence, putting a risk not only his life but also the one of the other drivers?

Unless you have some solid prove about it, I am not going to believe it in a billion years. And I mean SOLID!! I know he likes to drink, but at parties, in private, or whatever but not on the track. It would have been impossible for him to do it continously without been caught.

Finally, I know that IT had nothing to do with his poor performance. I don't know what the true the story is (although him deniyng it, it's not enough for me, anyway). So, I guess I would have to wait and see if there is more to it.

Valve Bounce
16th February 2009, 02:44
Excessive drinking results in impairment of judgment, concentration, studying and possibly perception and reaction time. I gave up drinking completely for 2 years during my uni days and my grades shot up to distinction and credit level.

Whether Kimi was racing while he had alcohol in his system we may never know, but a long term drinking habit would have affected his overall testing and driving capability.

El Libertador
16th February 2009, 02:58
Al Unser, Jr. That sums it up.

harsha
16th February 2009, 04:55
i don't think anyone would be stupid enough to drive when he still had alcohol in his blood stream...

but if it's his personal decision,then good for him

leopard
16th February 2009, 06:17
Let's see how long he can stand avoiding the booze, This might be a hard decision, as hard as those in attempt to quit smoking. Some people prefer breaking relationship with woman to tobacco.

F1boat
16th February 2009, 06:26
IMO he should not get drunk during the championship, but a glass of wine or a gulp from the champagne after a race win - it' OK. :)
But I believe that he is a professional and never came close to an F1 car after drinking.

ShiftingGears
16th February 2009, 06:37
Noone suggested Kimi had alcohol in his system while driving, that'd be quite an idiotic suggestion. Besides, while everyone uninformed blames last years performance on the booze, I am certain it was more down to how he interacts with the team, as the car tended to be set up more towards Massa's liking for the significant part of the year.

leopard
16th February 2009, 06:41
It's just because Massa spends his time to set up the car more than him. :)

Valve Bounce
16th February 2009, 07:43
i don't think anyone would be stupid enough to drive when he still had alcohol in his blood stream...

but if it's his personal decision,then good for him

In my younger days, sad to admit now, I was stupid much of the time. It is only now that I realise how stupid I was. :(

Josti
16th February 2009, 08:15
What will he do with the Champers on the Podium?
Demand Milk?

Well, Ari Vatanen always drunk milk.

Then again, he got paid to do that.

K-Pu
16th February 2009, 08:58
Well, as Briatore said, let Kimi drink as long as he can perform well.

If Kimi is giving it up because he feels it affected his driving, it´s good and bad news, since he may have had some bad days because of alcohol.

jens
16th February 2009, 08:59
Now... I'm wondering, why among drivers is it Kimi, who is constantly associated with alcohol? Yeah, in the media we have had a couple of news in the past that he has had a couple of rough parties, but is there any evidence that he generally consumes more alcohol than other drivers?

Knock-on
16th February 2009, 10:00
I've never seen evidence of Kimi being a drunk or under the influence while driving.

OK, he likes a drink in public and that's his choice.

What's the problem?

DexDexter
16th February 2009, 10:25
Now... I'm wondering, why among drivers is it Kimi, who is constantly associated with alcohol? Yeah, in the media we have had a couple of news in the past that he has had a couple of rough parties, but is there any evidence that he generally consumes more alcohol than other drivers?

I think it has something to do with him having a typical Finnish way of drinking. When he drinks, he drinks quite a lot, but there is no evidence that he is a regular drinker. Many Finns just drink like that, it's part of the culture, but on the other hand drug use here is much more rare than in most European countries..... What I'm trying to say is that it is hard for people to see beyond their own cultural habits and norms.

Dave B
16th February 2009, 10:44
I've never seen evidence of Kimi being a drunk or under the influence while driving.

OK, he likes a drink in public and that's his choice.

What's the problem?
I agree that it's a given that Kimi absolutely never drives a racing car or a road car while intoxicated, but remember that he's supposedly a top athelete - a former world champion no less - and at that level even modest alcohol intake can have an effect on one's overall fitness.

Dzeidzei
16th February 2009, 10:56
In my younger days, sad to admit now, I was stupid much of the time. It is only now that I realise how stupid I was. :(

So by the time youre 75, you´ll realise how stupid you were 2007-2010?

Better late than never, I guess :)

Dzeidzei
16th February 2009, 11:04
Come on, this is BS at its highest level. I accept that Kimi haters like Tazio would have fun with this, but do you honestly think some one would race while drunk?

Please do use some commen sense if you have any. Even if youre only writing to a pathetic little forum.

Kimi´s biggest problem is that his drinking gets press every time. He´s the most famous athlete in Finland and one of the most famous ones in the whole world. He hasnt commented on these non-drinking news, but his pr guy said that now is the time for training for the coming season, so it gives less room for any partying. To me that makes sense.

And I do have to talk about the American interpretation of alcoholism which many of you moralists seem to share. A beer or a drink, or a few glasses of wine now and then is perfectly fine. Hell, sometimes it would even be good to you.

Tazio
16th February 2009, 11:15
Come on, this is BS at its highest level. I accept that Kimi haters like Tazio would have fun with this, but do you honestly think some one would race while drunk?

Please do use some commen sense if you have any. Even if youre only writing to a pathetic little forum.

Kimi´s biggest problem is that his drinking gets press every time. He´s the most famous athlete in Finland and one of the most famous ones in the whole world. He hasnt commented on these non-drinking news, but his pr guy said that now is the time for training for the coming season, so it gives less room for any partying. To me that makes sense.

And I do have to talk about the American interpretation of alcoholism which many of you moralists seem to share. A beer or a drink, or a few glasses of wine now and then is perfectly fine. Hell, sometimes it would even be good to you.I quit drinking at the age of 50. Partied my a$$ off before then. I'm no "moralist",
"hater" :confused: Please back that one up with al little more evidence! I'm a big proponent of Kimi, and am a real admirer of his.
So cut the supposition and innuendo please!

Knock-on
16th February 2009, 11:22
Very good point there. Kimi has a couple of high profile news stories involving drinking and the press love building this up into something it's not.

JB has had a couple as well but is ignored by the press.

Why?

What Kimi does outside his job, as long as it's legal, is up to him. It's what's on track that I'm interested with.

ioan
16th February 2009, 12:04
As long as he will do a good job I do not care what he does during his free time, really.

Do you guys think that drivers were saints in the 50s,60s,70s and 80s?! I doubt it.

Valve Bounce
16th February 2009, 12:17
So by the time youre 75, you´ll realise how stupid you were 2007-2010?

Better late than never, I guess :)

By the time I am 75, I may not remember how stupid I was 2007-2010. I may already have MDD.

Valve Bounce
16th February 2009, 12:22

First of all, what evidence do you have that nobody ever raced or would race while drunk?

Secondly, you appear to be the only one here that has commen sense; but I do reject the notion that this is a pathetic little forum, even despite the fact that you post here.

Knock-on
16th February 2009, 12:49
First of all, what evidence do you have that nobody ever raced or would race while drunk?

Secondly, you appear to be the only one here that has commen sense; but I do reject the notion that this is a pathetic little forum, even despite the fact that you post here.

There's more evidence of those naughty chaps form the 60's driving with a skinfull than not :D

PolePosition_1
16th February 2009, 16:26

Lol, I've got to ask, but where on earth do you get the view that he may be an alcoholic?

Knock-on
16th February 2009, 16:43
Lol, I've got to ask, but where on earth do you get the view that he may be an alcoholic?

LOL, I normally like Tazio's posts but I think he's having a Blonde moment :D

mstillhere
16th February 2009, 18:31
I do reject the notion that this is a pathetic little forum, even despite the fact that you post here.

I totally second that.

Tazio
16th February 2009, 18:50
Lol, I've got to ask, but where on earth do you get the view that he may be an alcoholic?Probably from misunderstanding his culture and paying too much attention to the tabloid aspect of his press clippings. I only stated this out of a true concern for his well being!

Generally the profile fits for people that have fear driven character defects, like having to "get lit" in social situations or an abnormal fear of speaking in public. I'm not qualified to speak with authority on Kimi's private life. Now not having seen any English written articles on the subject (and I don't speak or read Italian) the only source I have for this information is the word of the poster of this thread. Since no credible English speaking media has made any mention of him making this statement, I suggest that he and I were duped! Sorrrrry :)

mstillhere
16th February 2009, 18:56
I think it has something to do with him having a typical Finnish way of drinking. When he drinks, he drinks quite a lot, but there is no evidence that he is a regular drinker. Many Finns just drink like that, it's part of the culture, but on the other hand drug use here is much more rare than in most European countries..... What I'm trying to say is that it is hard for people to see beyond their own cultural habits and norms.

I agree with you, Dexdexter. I think each country has a very distinct cultural take with alcohol. I am also agreeing with you, when you say that it is hard to understand from a differrent cultural perspective.

I only wanted to add that McLaren (RD) has a more direct and clear approach to the matter forbidding all his drivers (including our Finnish friend Kovi) from drinking alcohol during the championship.

I am also curious to know how the matter is actually approached by the other teams. Ferrari, with Jean Todt, said at the time "as long as the drinking does not affect the driving, it's fine by me". I wonder if anything has changed at Ferrari this year, though. I think, this year, after last year appalling series of mistakes made by Ferrari, its managment is really going to make sure that nothing will be left to fate.

jens
16th February 2009, 21:19

Sounds like quite a logical summary of situation. Not that I seriously follow those private-life "news", but I have never heard any of Kimi's employers (Sauber, McLaren, Ferrari) complaining that he has arrived at work being... err, drunk. His physical form should continually be very good too, so from that point of view there hasn't seemed to be much of a problem.

Dzeidzei
17th February 2009, 07:12
I totally second that.

I disagree. As the wise Groucho Marx put it: I would never join a club that accepted me as a member.

So by definition this forum is pathetic.

Sometimes fun, but pathetic all the time :)

PS. The idea of all or many Finns drinking all the time is folklore. We all know these people exist, but for example I dont know any. But mostly its a myth anyway. Like thinking that no German has any sense of humor (I know one who has). Or the Swedish men are gay (some of them aren´t). These generalizations are sometimes fun and Kimi might even drink a beer or two sometimes. So what? Its sure as hells that he has never raced drunk.

He´s good, but no one is that good.

PolePosition_1
17th February 2009, 08:21
Probably from misunderstanding his culture and paying too much attention to the tabloid aspect of his press clippings. I only stated this out of a true concern for his well being!

Generally the profile fits for people that have fear driven character defects, like having to "get lit" in social situations or an abnormal fear of speaking in public. I'm not qualified to speak with authority on Kimi's private life. Now not having seen any English written articles on the subject (and I don't speak or read Italian) the only source I have for this information is the word of the poster of this thread. Since no credible English speaking media has made any mention of him making this statement, I suggest that he and I were duped! Sorrrrry :)

Thats cool, as long as you acknowledge that your views are based on total opinion and none on facts.

Valve Bounce
17th February 2009, 08:42
I disagree. As the wise Groucho Marx put it: I would never join a club that accepted me as a member.

I can see where you are coming from and who your mentor was.
The question here is: why are you here if you haven't been rejected?

leopard
17th February 2009, 08:54

Sometimes fun, but pathetic all the time :)

that's why we are here :)

Dzeidzei
17th February 2009, 09:12
I can see where you are coming from and who your mentor was.
The question here is: why are you here if you haven't been rejected?

The only reason I can think of is the lack of member qualification. Me posting here means any halfwit can post here.

And the halfwits prove that right on a regular basis :)

markabilly
21st February 2009, 05:37

MaX did.......