PDA

View Full Version : Star of the Rally Norway 2009

FabiaFan
15th February 2009, 16:22
Can anybody organize a poll concerning this?
I'd go for PGA and his heroic drive, 2 SS wins, P5 in front of the Solbergs, in front of Aava and clearly outpacing Adapta Subarus!!!

tolis
15th February 2009, 16:33
PG without any doubt.
Let's hope he is going to compete in more WRC rounds this year!!

Mirek
15th February 2009, 16:34
FabiaFan: You'll hardly find someone to disagree with vote of PG ;)

N.O.T
15th February 2009, 16:38
Loeb....who expected to win on snow so easily ??

FabiaFan
15th February 2009, 16:46
Loeb....who expected to win on snow so easily ??
Many - including me - just look at the Pickem...

Wim_Impreza
15th February 2009, 16:53
Andersson also for me, amazing drive.

Disappointments: Petter Solberg (just before Wilslow...), the Adapta Subaru's and Patrik Flodin in PWRC.

FabiaFan
15th February 2009, 16:55
Andersson also for me, amazing drive.

Disappointments: Petter Solberg (just before Wilslow...), the Adapta Subaru's and Patrik Flodin in PWRC. Disappointing for me: Aava - he spoiled my pickem! :s

Wim_Impreza
15th February 2009, 17:07
Aava was never that good in snowrallies in JWRC, so I find an 8th place not bad for him.

MJW
15th February 2009, 17:12
Definately PG

Megablade
15th February 2009, 17:49
PG impressed me the most. Two stage wins in a car that wasn't even competetive in its time says it all.

urabus-denoS2000
15th February 2009, 19:20
Per Gunnar Andersson

WRC1
15th February 2009, 19:34
without a doubt

1. PG Andersson
2. Patrik Sandell
3. Sebastian Loeb

Miika
15th February 2009, 19:36
PG.

Ghostwalker
15th February 2009, 19:41
PG of course. too bad about his clutch :(

COD
15th February 2009, 21:46
PG

A.F.F.
15th February 2009, 22:32
N.O.T.

made only a couple of posts :up:

bluuford
15th February 2009, 23:07
My star was definitely the stages :-)

White Sauron
15th February 2009, 23:18
URT Team Russia - Flodin and Mikkelsen won about half of stages.

N.O.T
15th February 2009, 23:45
N.O.T.

made only a couple of posts :up:

i keep my best lines for rally finland thats why....

Helstar
16th February 2009, 01:43
PG rules ! Without Gigi he's my fav :p

A.F.F.
16th February 2009, 05:49
i keep my best lines for rally finland thats why....

Whatever, at the time of NORF, I won't be online reading them. I'll be at the stages :D

jens
16th February 2009, 08:45
I agree with the opinions here. Already at the end of last year in a Suzuki PGA showed, what he is made of. Can't wait to see him in top machinery.

I just got thinking that if through some kind of miracle we will see World Championship with S2000 rules next year, then Proton with drivers like P. Solberg and Andersson (both rumoured) would be one hell of a team with clear title prospects. If it only happened!

mm1
16th February 2009, 08:49
1.PGA
2.Sandel
x.Wilson - I was a little bit surprised by his speed, am I the only one?

Viking
16th February 2009, 09:04
I say…Rally Norway :) 23 good stages (maybe the most beautiful in the world, S.Loeb), no cancellations, no real trafical problems, and spectators behaved.

No let the bean counters do their job to see how much money we lost this time, maybe we can afford another one in 2011 :up:

Sulland
16th February 2009, 10:08
PG and Sandell
PSWRT
The RN organisers

pantealex
16th February 2009, 14:22
S k o d a F a b i a W R C a n d S 2 0 0 0
P - G A n d e r s s o n
P a t r i k S a n d e l l

pino
16th February 2009, 15:33
I say…Rally Norway :) 23 good stages (maybe the most beautiful in the world, S.Loeb), no cancellations, no real trafical problems, and spectators behaved.

No let the bean counters do their job to see how much money we lost this time, maybe we can afford another one in 2011 :up:

:up:

JFL
16th February 2009, 22:34
1- Eamonn Boland
2- Anders Grøndal
3- Mads Østberg

swordsman
16th February 2009, 22:41
1- Eamonn Boland
2- Anders Grøndal
3- Mads Østberg

Hahaha. Sign me up, man! :-)

J4MIE
16th February 2009, 23:44
Loeb once again :up:

Micke_VOC
17th February 2009, 09:45
PG of course.

Then both Wilson, Novikov and Rautenbach showed good speed out on the stages, that was suprising me a little.

Iskald
17th February 2009, 10:57
PG was the biggest star. And what a nice bloke he is. (I say that even when he is Swedish...and I`m a Norwegian!).

Second star of the rally was Czech engineer Pavel (don`t know his last name), who during 15 minutes of remote service in Kongsvinger midday friday found a perfect adjustment to the set-up for transmission and diffs. on the Skoda, that enabled PG to give a mighty blow to the factory teams army of engineers and highly paid drivers on SS6 and 7 especially.

The two stage wins by PG on friday was Skodas stagewins number 9 and 10 totally in the WRC (engineer Pavel knew exactly the count!).

Two Skoda Fabias (chassis 20 and 24 - PG ran chassis 20) are in Norway, owned by Bernhard Kongsrud. Something for brothers H. and P. Solberg to contemplate? The car is actually fantastic. It may lack a little bit in engine, but PG says that it is remarkably stable and great to drive. He should definitely know. On friday he beat Loeb, Hirvonen, Latvala, Solberg-brothers et al in straight fight on two "proper" and technically demanding stages in Rally Norway. It`s a great fairytale story isn`t it?

urabus-denoS2000
17th February 2009, 11:12
:up: Iskald

Micke_VOC
17th February 2009, 11:58
PG was the biggest star. And what a nice bloke he is. (I say that even when he is Swedish...and I`m a Norwegian!).

Second star of the rally was Czech engineer Pavel (don`t know his last name), who during 15 minutes of remote service in Kongsvinger midday friday found a perfect adjustment to the set-up for transmission and diffs. on the Skoda, that enabled PG to give a mighty blow to the factory teams army of engineers and highly paid drivers on SS6 and 7 especially.

The two stage wins by PG on friday was Skodas stagewins number 9 and 10 totally in the WRC (engineer Pavel knew exactly the count!).

Two Skoda Fabias (chassis 20 and 24 - PG ran chassis 20) are in Norway, owned by Bernhard Kongsrud. Something for brothers H. and P. Solberg to contemplate? The car is actually fantastic. It may lack a little bit in engine, but PG says that it is remarkably stable and great to drive. He should definitely know. On friday he beat Loeb, Hirvonen, Latvala, Solberg-brothers et al in straight fight on two "proper" and technically demanding stages in Rally Norway. It`s a great fairytale story isn`t it?

Nice =)

jonas_mcrae
17th February 2009, 12:29

It was a great performance by PG and the Fabia. And dont get me wrong I'm a big Skoda fan, but I think, that even though the Fabia has loads of raw speed it lacks reliability. Petter can't afford loosing gearbox or clutch of whatever in the middle of a rally (too many sponsors to please). Thats why he chose the "safe" option of the Xsara which even if it has problems, it most probably get back to the service. (even with wheels missing!)

Shrike
17th February 2009, 13:13
I would pick loeb if the was the "most obvious thing to happen award" My pick is PG for being the biggest surprise with his stage wins! and with a fabia no less.

J4MIE
17th February 2009, 13:13

Agree Iskald that he is a nice guy (we met him in service on saturday night) but not exactly a fairytale result in the end which is what counts... would much more have preferred him to be more consistent and finish in 4th/5th and get to the end. But he did look good on the stages and was driving hard, just a shame his clutch gave up.

Iskald
17th February 2009, 13:31
Agree Iskald that he is a nice guy (we met him in service on saturday night) but not exactly a fairytale result in the end which is what counts... would much more have preferred him to be more consistent and finish in 4th/5th and get to the end. But he did look good on the stages and was driving hard, just a shame his clutch gave up.

I didn`t call it a fairytale result, but a fairytale story. That sadly didn`t have a happy end.

I have been actively involved in this sport for 30 years, and this is possibly one of the greatest stories I have witnessed through all these years. And I was close to it, as I actually was somewhat part of the small team achieving this. It was a real David and Goliath story. To witness the sheer happiness and proudness inside our little tent outside in the cold, knowing that a number of french and british super-engineers was scratching their heads and minds inside (in the warm and snuggly) Viking Ship, was pure pleasure. It may seem that I am exaggerating the importance of mere two stage wins in one single rally, but believe you me this really felt fantastic.

For me PG is an absolute star-quality driver, and the "old" Skoda Fabia is a much, much better car that anyone ever could have dreamt of.

Mirek
17th February 2009, 14:54
It was a great performance by PG and the Fabia. And dont get me wrong I'm a big Skoda fan, but I think, that even though the Fabia has loads of raw speed it lacks reliability. Petter can't afford loosing gearbox or clutch of whatever in the middle of a rally (too many sponsors to please). Thats why he chose the "safe" option of the Xsara which even if it has problems, it most probably get back to the service. (even with wheels missing!)

You know, private teams don't have such possibilities to change everything everytime like works teams. In this case I think that in private team You might be either fast or reliable but hardly both.

RS
17th February 2009, 15:44
PG star of the rally for me.

The Fabia WRC can be quite reliable. In the last two years with CRT-Kopecky they had very few technical problems.

Surprised some idiot hasn't suggested that they were cheating in Norway :rolleyes:

Iskald, any chance to see PG in this car again this year, or some other top driver?

Helstar
17th February 2009, 16:33
I didn`t call it a fairytale result, but a fairytale story. That sadly didn`t have a happy end.

I have been actively involved in this sport for 30 years, and this is possibly one of the greatest stories I have witnessed through all these years. And I was close to it, as I actually was somewhat part of the small team achieving this. It was a real David and Goliath story. To witness the sheer happiness and proudness inside our little tent outside in the cold, knowing that a number of french and british super-engineers was scratching their heads and minds inside (in the warm and snuggly) Viking Ship, was pure pleasure. It may seem that I am exaggerating the importance of mere two stage wins in one single rally, but believe you me this really felt fantastic.

For me PG is an absolute star-quality driver, and the "old" Skoda Fabia is a much, much better car that anyone ever could have dreamt of.
Very nice, although I don't think the Fabia is a great car. Or better, it is (was) missing a powerful engine ... those two Norway SS were very narrow and the perfect grip of the Fabia (thanx to the perfect setup of the genious engineer) made PG able to do the miracle with his driving uber-skills.
But it ended like Colin in Australia ... clutch failure :\

DonJippo
17th February 2009, 20:25

Now let the bean counters do their job to see how much money we lost this time, maybe we can afford another one in 2011 :up:

Agreed, had wonderfull time in Norway :up: Let's hope it stays in calendar so can come over again :D

Iskald
17th February 2009, 21:02
Very nice, although I don't think the Fabia is a great car. Or better, it is (was) missing a powerful engine ... those two Norway SS were very narrow and the perfect grip of the Fabia (thanx to the perfect setup of the genious engineer) made PG able to do the miracle with his driving uber-skills.
But it ended like Colin in Australia ... clutch failure :\

Interesting that you should teach me the caracteristics of those two SS that PG won...I actually took part in Rally Norway myself, and therefore know the stages quite well. Those two stages SS6 Opaker and SS7 Finnskogen has many times been a part of the traditional Rally Finnskog, and as I have taken part in something between 15 and 20 Finnskog-rallies since 1986 and have driven both roads in both directions a number of times, I have some knowledge...

So lets see then, very narrow wasn`t it, Helstar?

SS6 Opaker starts on twisty but quite wide forest road, After 2 kms onto another quite wide farmroad, and very fast until the 6 km mark. Then it turns onto a narrower forest road, goes upwards over a big hill, and then extremely fast downhill. Ends up with 3 kms on a specially constructed road on Opaker farmland, medium wide and fast to the finish on the fields of the farm.

SS7 Finnskogen starts with very wide forest road, made for big timber lorries, but with quite a few sharp corners. After 2,5 km, onto another quite wide road, but much faster than the first bit. There is nearly 7 kms of extremely fast pedalling on this road until you reach a tight hairpin left leading onto the narrow and twisty bits. From here to the finish the stage is twisty and technical, but not all of it is very narrow.

Both of these stages are technical, but both of them have extremely fast bits for several kms. So, Helstar, knowing I`m sounding quite patronising now, your arguments why PG in the Skoda was fast, simply doesn`t hold!

Viking
17th February 2009, 21:24
PG`s explanation, sounds kind of Loeb..ish

Q. Where did that speed come from this afternoon?

P-G Andersson: I was more comfortable with the car. Everything worked much better. I was pushing the car harder and trying to be more clever in my driving, to stop sliding and when the traction was there giving it a big, big push. Then when it came to the corners, trying to slow the car in a straight line, less sliding.

Sulland
17th February 2009, 21:42
We have read in other threads that the people leasing or buying Citroen or Ford can not do anything to the engine, it is basically sealed.

What about the Private Skodas, as the two Kongsrud owns, does he own the engine, and could have an engine wizard look over them, to find a bit more power, remap them and so on, within the homologation of course. Or Is Skoda Motorsport the only ones that can touch them as well ?

Mirek
17th February 2009, 21:46
I think that Škoda Motorsport provides no service support to WRC owners.

Sulland
17th February 2009, 22:18
The car PG's drove had been in for a rebuild/ service and I think that was done by Skoda Motorsport.

So I guess you can buy their services, or have they stopped services on the WRC altogether ?

Mirek
17th February 2009, 22:30
I don't know exactly but I think that it might have been serviced in Motorsport Kopecký rather than in Škoda Motorsport. But I may be wrong ;)

Mirek
17th February 2009, 22:42
By the way, another great photos: http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/fotogalery.php?events=683&fotograf=100&all=1

Helstar
18th February 2009, 17:41
Interesting that you should teach me the caracteristics of those two SS that PG won...-cut- So, Helstar, knowing I`m sounding quite patronising now, your arguments why PG in the Skoda was fast, simply doesn`t hold!
Hey hey Mr. Iskald, there's no need to show your bigger p**** you know ^^
Of course you have much knowledge and all, that's not even in discussion.

Norway rally is very narrow as a whole rally compared to the others, that's what I meant. It's not almost flatout like Finland or others...

If it's like you say, then ask PG to use the same Skoda in Finland, and when he wins a couple of SS even there then you're right, the car is the best in WRC, the engine is great and it was totally Skoda Motorsport blame who (for reasons nobody understand) couldn't take the best of it back in 2005 and previous years.

Iskald
18th February 2009, 20:28
Hey hey Mr. Iskald, there's no need to show your bigger p**** you know ^^
Of course you have much knowledge and all, that's not even in discussion.

Norway rally is very narrow as a whole rally compared to the others, that's what I meant. It's not almost flatout like Finland or others...

Sorry, you still know absolutely nada. Compared to Finland every other WRC-rally is narrow and slow. Rally Norway is a bit slower than the Swedish Rally (to compare it to another snow-rally), but faster than many other WRC-events. But still you are serving this BS that "Norway rally is very narrow...".
You don`t have a clue, Helstar, you just think you do.

Helstar
18th February 2009, 22:17
Sorry, you still know absolutely nada. Compared to Finland every other WRC-rally is narrow and slow. Rally Norway is a bit slower than the Swedish Rally (to compare it to another snow-rally), but faster than many other WRC-events. But still you are serving this BS that "Norway rally is very narrow...".
You don`t have a clue, Helstar, you just think you do.
Ah ah ok ok (oh God, you're so full of yourself man...), then make a change in my previous post ... "ask PG to use the same Skoda in ANY other rally".

Pity it won't happen (well, I hope it will but the deal was only for Norway I guess), would be funny to see what you would say if my theories will actually happen...

ps. If you reply please don't post the usual "wot ! you dunno anything so shut the f**k up u idiot !", you started with the wrong foot honestly ^^

Iskald
19th February 2009, 09:45
Ah ah ok ok (oh God, you're so full of yourself man...),

ps. If you reply please don't post the usual "wot ! you dunno anything so shut the f**k up u idiot !", you started with the wrong foot honestly ^^

It`s absolutely useless to reply to this, but I will ask the moderators to evaluate the use of totally inappropriate language from Helstar. If you think this is acceptable, I won`t be using this forum anymore, which I have considered to be the best rallyforum around.

Brother John
19th February 2009, 10:10
Thought of a song from 1970 of Edwin Starr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d8C4AIFgUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d8C4AIFgUg&eurl=http://kronbergskrattarochler.wordpress.com/2007/07/16/war-what-is-it-good-for/&feature=player_embedded

Don´t leave this forum Iskald, it is the best rallyforum around. ;)

Langdale Forest
19th February 2009, 12:23
PG Andersson for winning two stages in a Skoda.

Karukera
19th February 2009, 15:09
Star of the rally is the global warming for providing such beautiful weather conditions. A pure white jewel.

Special recognition goes to : the organizers for the very prof. work, to the Loeb-Hirvonen close fight down to the wire thanks to the now legendary Ford tactics which kicked them fordies arses back and well, to Petter Solberg for managing a rally team in a couple of weeks only and for the best result he could acheive with the machinery he had.

Just repeating what i said in 2007 : Rally Norway is a keeper in the championship ! :)

JFL
19th February 2009, 15:12
Star of the rally is the global warming for providing such beautiful weather conditions. A pure white jewel.

Special recognition goes to : the organizers for the very prof. work, to the Loeb-Hirvonen close fight down to the wire thanks to the now legendary Ford tactics which kicked them fordies arses back and well, to Petter Solberg for managing a rally team in a couple of weeks only and for the best result he could acheive with the machinery he had.

Just repeating what i said in 2007 : Rally Norway is a keeper in the championship ! :)
Agreed! :)

Helstar
19th February 2009, 16:32
Don´t leave this forum Iskald, it is the best rallyforum around. ;)
lol I think we're missing a couple of posts here ... but anyway, I don't care. Seems that he has decided to leave this forum (I haven't read his post), can't understand the reason, probably he thinks he is a superstar ... surely he doesn't accept opinions from other people and that's a first step to pretend to be one ^^

Iskald
19th February 2009, 19:52
lol I think we're missing a couple of posts here ... but anyway, I don't care. Seems that he has decided to leave this forum (I haven't read his post), can't understand the reason, probably he thinks he is a superstar ... surely he doesn't accept opinions from other people and that's a first step to pretend to be one ^^

I don`t accept personal insults, and one of your posts are not "missing", but have been thrown out by the moderators, who definitely have found that unacceptable too.

You don`t win discussions with serving personal insults or trying to ridicule opponents. You loose, because its just shows you have gone empty of arguments.

Helstar
19th February 2009, 20:27
I don`t accept personal insults, and one of your posts are not "missing", but have been thrown out by the moderators, who definitely have found that unacceptable too.
You don`t win discussions with serving personal insults or trying to ridicule
opponents. You loose, because its just shows you have gone empty of arguments.
This is totally false, I didn't insult anyone or try to ridiculize, somebody can get that post again ? I only added something about the Skoda performance.

I didn't insult anybody in my (forum) life - not even Daniel you figure lol !

ps. I'm glad you're still here anyway, seriously.

4Regioni
19th February 2009, 21:22
Photo rally norway: http://rallymania.forumfree.net/?t=36998679

swordsman
21st February 2009, 11:11
I made a post-rally interview with PG on Thursday that I published today. Thought it might be on interest... http://www.maxattack.net/2009/02/pg-andersson-interview-team-bosses-arent-really-chasing-me-with-paper-and-pencil/

A.F.F.
21st February 2009, 17:26
I made a post-rally interview with PG on Thursday that I published today. Thought it might be on interest... http://www.maxattack.net/2009/02/pg-andersson-interview-team-bosses-arent-really-chasing-me-with-paper-and-pencil/

Cheers swordsman :)

Mirek
22nd February 2009, 14:12
According to http://www.rally-mania.cz the problem with clutch was caused by mistake of mechanics during assembling of gearbox and clutch in time press. They wrote that missing snap ring caused the problem according to the sources from the team...

Mirek
22nd February 2009, 15:21
I was told, that rebuilt of both Fabias was provided by Juka Motorsport. Also those Czech technicians should be from Juka. Juka is very good and professional team You may know from running cars for Škoda Deutschland (Kahle).

WRC1
22nd February 2009, 18:10
]I was told, that rebuilt of both Fabias was provided by Juka Motorsport. Also those Czech technicians should be from Juka. Juka is very good and professional team You may know from running cars for Škoda Deutschland (Kahle).

....and for skoda hungary with tamas turi!!

urabus-denoS2000
22nd February 2009, 19:08
http://www.juka.eu.com/

Barreis
22nd February 2009, 20:45
Now I'm happy that nobody tells some bad things about McRae-Grist/Fabia/Australia and cheating..

swordsman
22nd February 2009, 21:08
]According to http://www.rally-mania.cz the problem with clutch was caused by mistake of mechanics during assembling of gearbox and clutch in time press. They wrote that missing snap ring caused the problem according to the sources from the team...

Ok, maybe - but it's strange then that PG himself didn't know. I talked to him on Thursday evening, and asked him explicitly - but of course they can have found out what happened after that... So, maybe - maybe not! :)

Mirek
22nd February 2009, 22:10
Ok, maybe - but it's strange then that PG himself didn't know. I talked to him on Thursday evening, and asked him explicitly - but of course they can have found out what happened after that... So, maybe - maybe not! :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't say it must have been that way. I just wanted to post information from another source ;)

swordsman
23rd February 2009, 08:08
]Don't get me wrong, I don't say it must have been that way. I just wanted to post information from another source ;)

I understood that so I think I didn't get you wrong at all. I was quite worried you would get me wrong too, so guess we're in the same situation. I'm glad to hear all angles :P

RS
23rd February 2009, 09:06
Now I'm happy that nobody tells some bad things about McRae-Grist/Fabia/Australia and cheating..

Yes, I think that one has been well and truly blown out the water now :)

Helstar
23rd February 2009, 16:50
Yes, I think that one has been well and truly blown out the water now :)
Never been in discussion IMHO ... he was even behind Rovanpera in a Mitsu ...

RS
23rd February 2009, 18:55
Never been in discussion IMHO ... he was even behind Rovanpera in a Mitsu ...

Well, he was battling with Rovanpera yes. But there was no doubt that McRae's performance was better than the other Skoda drivers that year which I think is where the cheating allegation came from.

It is interesting now that more stage wins have been scored with the Fabia in private hands than the works team, even adding to it now the car is four years old.

Helstar
25th February 2009, 04:43
Well, he was battling with Rovanpera yes. But there was no doubt that McRae's performance was better than the other Skoda drivers that year which I think is where the cheating allegation came from.

The reason was obviously COLIN :D compare his performance and Armin's one in the same rally ... the stage times differences were huge. This is a video which I love to see very often, SHOWMAN ... and great fast driving =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWoRUzFOUk&fmt=18

It is interesting now that more stage wins have been scored with the Fabia in private hands than the works team, even adding to it now the car is four years old.
True !

Krigen
26th February 2009, 16:15
PG is now entered with the Fabia in Numedalsrally 7 mars. Norwegianchampionship round 3 :)