PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Rally fires three - only one left

swordsman
14th February 2009, 21:03
The Swedish Rally organisation fires three people from the end of march because of economical problems. This means only managing director (and old-boy) Bertil Klarin will be left in the permanent organisation. They plan to solve their needs with short-term hirings around the rallies.

I think it will be really hard to arrange a rally without more than one permanently hired person in the organisation... Organising a WRC event requires a professional approach. However, doesn't seem like chairman of the board Sven-Åke Enochsson doesn't realize that. He says that there is a large interest in rallying and that there are many experts. Should you laugh or cry? It's not really that easy...

I'm afraid the Swedish Rally are in really, really big trouble now (have a looong post on my blog). What do you guys think??

Ghostwalker
14th February 2009, 22:59
yeah i think you're right. you cant organize a World Champiosnhip rally with just temporarily employed people.

They have had problems for a few years now with lack of enough sponsors and etc. Which is a common problem for motorsport in Sweden where motorsport in general are not a very appealing for neither sponsors or other people with "Power". And last years mud rally didnt really make things better.

Sulland
15th February 2009, 01:15
So we have to extend the level of cooperation btw our two countries even more !

bowler
15th February 2009, 01:16
This is a result of the rotation system.

It is not viable to keep all the people needed to run a WRC rally when they don't have a rally to run.

No organiser makes enough money to carry that kind of liability for 12 months of nothing to do.

The irony is that some of the events that were introduced to justify the rotation system will not run--because they don't have enough good people to run a good enough event.

My guess is that only 19 of the 24 events over two years will run.

Daniel
15th February 2009, 07:45
This is a result of the rotation system.

It is not viable to keep all the people needed to run a WRC rally when they don't have a rally to run.

No organiser makes enough money to carry that kind of liability for 12 months of nothing to do.

The irony is that some of the events that were introduced to justify the rotation system will not run--because they don't have enough good people to run a good enough event.

My guess is that only 19 of the 24 events over two years will run.

My guess is that you're right and that the FIA will still persist with their stupid system of rotation despite the fact no one actually seems to want it other than the rounds which have some slim hope of being retained on a more permanent basis.