PDA

View Full Version : What Price Justice in the USA

Camelopard
13th February 2009, 20:25
I added the following as a post in the Economic Downturn thread, but thought it needed it own thread.... :)

Isn't wonderfull what greed can do, how about wrecking young lives so you can have that extra million or so in the bank...... :(

Bet they don't go to prison, they will probably end up with Bernie at his health farm, I mean home detention. :rolleyes:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/13/2490498.htm

US judges admit jailing children for money

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35am AEDT
Updated Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:34am AEDT

Two judges have pleaded guilty to accepting more than $US2.6 million ($3.9 million) from a private youth detention centre in Pennsylvania in return for giving hundreds of youths and teenagers long sentences.
Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan of the Court of Common Pleas in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, entered plea agreements in federal court in Scranton admitting that they took payoffs from PA Childcare and a sister company, Western PA Childcare, between 2003 and 2006.

Teenagers who came before Ciavarella in juvenile court often were sentenced to detention centres for minor offences that would typically have been classified as misdemeanours, according to the Juvenile Law Centre, a Philadelphia non-profit group.
One 17-year-old boy was sentenced to three months' detention for being in the company of another minor caught shoplifting.
Others were given similar sentences for "simple assault" resulting from a schoolyard scuffle that would normally draw a warning, a spokeswoman for the Juvenile Law Centre said.

Tazio
13th February 2009, 20:34
Bet they don't go to prison, they will probably end up with Bernie at his health farm, I mean home detention. They will most definately do Federal time. Trust me on this one!

Tazio
13th February 2009, 23:18
Of all the citizens of the U.S., you don't mess with the kids period!
Outcries from civil rights groups to soccer moms will call for justice "swift and terrible"
The only card these Crumb-Bums have to play is to completely disassociates their actions from any other Government institution.
Thus doing damage control on Civil suits against the government!
By the way a couple years in a Federal Pen is easy time compared to state prison.
If they were sent to a State Pen, they would be dead meat! :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
14th February 2009, 04:28
What a pair of jerks! With luck...they will have a miserable time of it.

anthonyvop
15th February 2009, 19:16
I added the following as a post in the Economic Downturn thread, but thought it needed it own thread.... :)

Isn't wonderfull what greed can do, how about wrecking young lives so you can have that extra million or so in the bank...... :(

Bet they don't go to prison, they will probably end up with Bernie at his health farm, I mean home detention. :rolleyes:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/13/2490498.htm

US judges admit jailing children for money

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35am AEDT
Updated Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:34am AEDT

Two judges have pleaded guilty to accepting more than $US2.6 million ($3.9 million) from a private youth detention centre in Pennsylvania in return for giving hundreds of youths and teenagers long sentences.
Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan of the Court of Common Pleas in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, entered plea agreements in federal court in Scranton admitting that they took payoffs from PA Childcare and a sister company, Western PA Childcare, between 2003 and 2006.

Teenagers who came before Ciavarella in juvenile court often were sentenced to detention centres for minor offences that would typically have been classified as misdemeanours, according to the Juvenile Law Centre, a Philadelphia non-profit group.
One 17-year-old boy was sentenced to three months' detention for being in the company of another minor caught shoplifting.
Others were given similar sentences for "simple assault" resulting from a schoolyard scuffle that would normally draw a warning, a spokeswoman for the Juvenile Law Centre said.

It is good to know that in your country there are no corrupt judges or officials.

No system is perfect but at least here we can rest assured that these guys have faced justice fairly and will now be "very popular" in the facilty that will be holding them.
After they serve their time they will be broke as their victims will sue them for every dime they have.

So before you bash the US again please get some windex and clean the walls of you glass house!!!

Easy Drifter
15th February 2009, 19:48
I expect they will have a lovely and peaceful time of it with their new boy friend called Bubba.

Tazio
15th February 2009, 21:55
No system is perfect but at least here we can rest assured that these guys have faced justice fairly and will now be "very popular" in the facilty that will be holding them.
After they serve their time they will be broke as their victims will sue them for every dime they have.

Very well stated Tony! :up:

markabilly
16th February 2009, 00:35
Very well stated Tony! :up:

no they have judicial immunity and will pay not one dime. Bleive it or not, there is only one group of people completely immune from suit, (and not merely damages, but from even being sued, and that is judges)

As to bubba, well jail house lawyers are well valued, and will get spl treatment, but not from no Bubbas, so my guess is that they will escape their just deserves, tooo bad

steve_spackman
16th February 2009, 00:36
It is good to know that in your country there are no corrupt judges or officials.

So before you bash the US again please get some windex and clean the walls of you glass house!!!

i dont see how he was bashing the US to be honest....

Im sure that he didnt mean anything to it, but you are a very sensitive nation.

Easy Drifter
16th February 2009, 01:23
I wonder what will or has happened to the contracted detention centres that were doing the bribery.
First if proven guilty I would expect immediate cancellation of their contracts and charges being laid.
The Judges may not be open to civil suits but I would expect the Companies involved would be.
I know Cdns. would go ballistic in the same situation and I certainly expect the US will.
Not knowing US law will it remain a Pa. case or will the Feds. get involved? Anybody know?

Tazio
16th February 2009, 01:43
I wonder what will or has happened to the contracted detention centres that were doing the bribery.
First if proven guilty I would expect immediate cancellation of their contracts and charges being laid.
The Judges may not be open to civil suits but I would expect the Companies involved would be.
I know Cdns. would go ballistic in the same situation and I certainly expect the US will.
Not knowing US law will it remain a Pa. case or will the Feds. get involved? Anybody know?This is a Federal offence!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...13/2490498.htm

Tazio
16th February 2009, 01:52
As to bubba, well jail house lawyers are well valued, and will get spl treatment, but not from no Bubbas, so my guess is that they will escape their just deserves, tooo bad

As I stated earlier

By the way a couple years in a Federal Pen is easy time compared to state prison.
If they were sent to a State Pen, they would be dead meat!

Tazio
16th February 2009, 01:58
no they have judicial immunity and will pay not one dime. Bleive it or not, there is only one group of people completely immune from suit, (and not merely damages, but from even being sued, and that is judges)
It will be interesting to get the details as to what the deal was that they actually struck! They are not immunized from the IRS.
Tax evasion dating back to 2003 could bring a stiff financial penalty :eek:

Easy Drifter
16th February 2009, 03:04
Thanks Taz. Dummy here missed that! :dozey:

Tazio
16th February 2009, 03:09
i dont see how he was bashing the US to be honest....

Im sure that he didnt mean anything to it, but you are a very sensitive nation.Steve I can't speak for Tony but:

"What Price Justice in the USA"
is a rather provocative title for a thread!

Labeling America sensitive is rather presumptuous to put it mildly.
This is a rather large diverse Country.
Go down to Alabama and tell them Ol’ Boys they’re sensitive.
Then get back to me! :D

anthonyvop
16th February 2009, 03:31

With their conviction they loose their immunity. Pretty much every case these guys heard will now most likely be overturned and the Prosecutors will either have to retry them or cut deals.

Hondo
16th February 2009, 04:15
It will be interesting to get the details as to what the deal was that they actually struck! They are not immunized from the IRS.
Tax evasion dating back to 2003 could bring a stiff financial penalty :eek:

Tax evasion back to 2003 will get them a Cabinet job in Obama's administration.

Tazio
16th February 2009, 04:25
Tax evasion back to 2003 will get them a Cabinet job in Obama's administration.That's pretty funny 'ero :D
It Got Al Capone a really long stretch on "The Rock"
Like I said, I'm very interested what kind of deal these Crumb Bums cut!

Camelopard
16th February 2009, 08:54
"What Price Justice in the USA"
is a rather provocative title for a thread!

Of course it's meant to be provocative, threads with namby pamby titles don't get read nor commented on :) .

As I said in the first post, I had originally placed it in the Economic Downturn thread but it only had 1 reply, here by it's self, it gets people talking.

I'd like to think that these ratbags will get their just deserts, but I dare say they will have transferred all their assets to theirs wives, declare bankrupcy and be out and about enjoying their freedom within a few years, maybe write their memoirs whilst inside, meanwhile they have possibly caused irreparable harm to some young lives.

Tazio
16th February 2009, 10:27
I'd like to think that these ratbags will get their just deserts, but I dare say they will have transferred all their assets to theirs wives, declare bankrupcy and be out and about enjoying their freedom within a few years, maybe write their memoirs whilst inside, meanwhile they have possibly caused irreparable harm to some young lives.
That may fly in other countries, but the wife goes down with the ship (unless they divorce) in the U.S.of A. in matters such as these. O.J. did some irreparable damage, got away with it criminally, and in Civil court got taken to the cleaners.

BTW your thread would have been just as eye-catching entitled:
"What Price Justice"

If you think important public servants get a free ride when it comes to financial scams in this country I suggest you Google Randlall "Duke" Cunningham!
Here I'll do it for you:

Cunningham resigned from the House on November 28, 2005 after pleading guilty to accepting at least $2.4 million in bribes and underreporting his income for 2004. He pleaded guilty to federal charges of conspiracy to commit bribery, mail fraud, wire fraud, and tax evasion. On March 3, 2006, he received a sentence of eight years and four months in prison and an order to pay $1.8 million in restitution.[1] Prior to his political career, he was an officer in the United States Navy for 21 years during which time he became a flying ace for actions during the Vietnam War.

Tazio
16th February 2009, 10:58
As I suspected these two Cumb-Bums got the maximum jail time, plus restitution. Rest at ease. For the most part The Justice system of this country does not overlook such destructive crimes regardless of the social status of the "Perp's"

Two Luzerne County Judges yesterday pleaded guilty to federal charges that they received millions of dollars in kickbacks from two persons engaged in the operation and construction of juvenile detentiLuzerne County, Penn., Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael T. Conahan Plead Guilty to Fraud in Juvenile Detention Scheme
Date: January 26, 2009on facilities in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. The guilty pleas of Judges Mark Ciavarella, Jr. and Michael T. Conahan resulted in seven year prison sentences for both men. The offenders must pay restitution and resign from their positions. The Pennsylvania state bar association is expected to immediately and permanently disbar both judges from the practice of law

These men are ruined!!!

Tazio
17th February 2009, 10:22
Apparently there is a fringe benefit to the investigation leading to the Convictions of these two C.B's
They were in the pocket of a personal injury attorney who happened to be a part owner of the detention center that gave the kick-backs.
These Judges were playing both sides of the street. Making sure this third Crumb-Bum got maximum pay-out on cases he took on contingency :eek:

WILKES-BARRE — Attorney Robert J. Powell, whose holding company allegedly paid kickbacks to Luzerne County Judge Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., won nearly $16 million for his clients in Judge Ciavarella’s courtroom from June 2005 through February 2008, court records show.

In 2005, Judge Ciavarella, who faces 87 months in federal prison on fraud and conspiracy charges, tacked nearly $2 million in damages on top of a $7.5 million jury verdict Mr. Powell won in a medical malpractice suit.

Mr. Powell’s company, Vision Holdings LLC, wired $220,000 to Pinnacle Group of Jupiter LLC, a Florida company controlled by Judge Ciavarella and his co-defendant, former county Judge Michael T. Conahan, in two transactions in 2004, federal prosecutors allege.

As president judge from 2002 to 2006, Judge Conahan controlled the assignment of cases and judges. Judge Ciavarella succeeded him and served in the top spot until Jan. 23, when he resigned as president judge, but kept his seat on the bench. The state Supreme Court suspended Judge Ciavarella with pay Wednesday and barred Judge Conahan from serving as a part-time senior judge. They’ve agreed to plead guilty in federal court Feb. 12 and serve seven years and three months in a case involving nearly $30 million in county contracts they allegedly helped steer to two juvenile detention centers co-owned by Mr. Powell.

A review of court documents shows Judge Ciavarella handled at least 10 cases in which Mr. Powell was a plaintiff’s attorney. Three of those cases yielded multimillion-dollar verdicts. One verdict, in a legal malpractice case, is being challenged because of the ties between Judge Ciavarella and Mr. Powell.

Mr. Powell did not respond to e-mail and telephone requests for comment Thursday. Judge Ciavarella’s attorney, Albert Flora Jr., did not respond to a request for comment from the judge.

The plea agreement that these two made makes for some interesting reading
You can find the links at the bottom of this Link
http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2009/01/30/news/sc_times_trib.20090130.a.pg6.tt30judges_s1.2269820 _loc.txt

555-04Q2
17th February 2009, 11:33

Dude, there is something seriously wrong with you :(