View Full Version : 50 killed in New York plane crash

Wade91
13th February 2009, 14:39
http://news.aol.com/article/new-york-plane-crash/342026 :(

i heard on tv that the death toll could rise still

driveace
13th February 2009, 19:12
Woke up to this bad news.No warning of any problems then nosedived
Condolences to all who lost family and friends ,reminds me of an accident at Leeds/Bradford a few years back ,with im sure a similar aircraft.The pilot took off then reported back to the control tower he had a problem with the auto leveller and did his air craft LOOK level.He decided to do a loop and return ,but never got back .He nosedived into a corn field killing all on board.A girl i knew ran to the scene and was 1st there But it was obvious there was nothing she could do as it was partially buried and all were killed.,it was near the village of Weeton in West Yorkshire

steve_spackman
13th February 2009, 21:38
Woke up to this bad news.No warning of any problems then nosedived
Condolences to all who lost family and friends ,reminds me of an accident at Leeds/Bradford a few years back ,with im sure a similar aircraft.The pilot took off then reported back to the control tower he had a problem with the auto leveller and did his air craft LOOK level.He decided to do a loop and return ,but never got back .He nosedived into a corn field killing all on board.A girl i knew ran to the scene and was 1st there But it was obvious there was nothing she could do as it was partially buried and all were killed.,it was near the village of Weeton in West Yorkshire

A widow of the 9/11 terror attacks was among those killed in the New York state plane crash, relatives have said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7889106.stm?lss

13th February 2009, 22:41
this is a real sad story...my prayers go out towards the families

ShiftingGears
14th February 2009, 00:46
Rip :(

Easy Drifter
14th February 2009, 03:17
Another sad one. Apparently no distress call, just sudden silence.
Other planes nearby at time reported sudden icing conditions.
The black boxes have been retrieved so they may help to figure out what happened.

Mark in Oshawa
14th February 2009, 04:14
I was about 15 miles away and drove by the approach to the runway of Buffalo Intl. on the Thruway. I couldn't imagine flying in that schmengey weather and woke up to the story on the radio at 530am (I spent the night just east of Buffalo). Scary stuff and everyone in Western NY was preoccupied by it for sure. I delivered in Rochester and it was the topic of conversation there.

The only really weird and mysterious part of this is that the plane was flying north AWAY from the Airport apprently when it crashed. Clearence is the suburb where it came down and it is north east of the airport and the plane was on a northward trajectory. Now if that doesn't make this strange, nothing else will. I pray for those lost, and hope they find some answers. I just hope like hell it isn't a flaw in the plane itself. The Bombardier Q400 is built in Toronto and I have a couple of friends who work on its assembly. They will take this one to heart.

Jag_Warrior
14th February 2009, 04:46
A widow of the 9/11 terror attacks was among those killed in the New York state plane crash, relatives have said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7889106.stm?lss

It was tragic enough without that, but I can't imagine how their families feel with this on them too.

One of the survivors on Flight 1549 had a brother who was killed in the 9/11 attack. He said the main thing driving him to get out of the sinking plane was knowing that his family couldn't take the loss of another son in this way.

Terrible tragedy.

Easy Drifter
14th February 2009, 05:12
Last I heard, and this contradicts earlier reports, is the pilot reported heavy sudden icing on wings and windshield. Other planes did report icing.
Apparently there has been a tape released of the pilot and Buffalo control talking but I have not heard it.
Icing can affect the controls big time but should not affect the engines and supposedly the engines were sputtering, according to ground reports.
The intensity of the fire seems to indicate a fuel fire but that is my speculation.