PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable front wings + nosecone swaps?

Shifter
13th February 2009, 09:45
So, the front wings have adjustable upper sections. I figure it's a pull-cord setup along with return springs much like a throttle cable in a basic car, but I am not certain.

Almost every grand prix, someone's front wing gets bent, and the driver comes into the pits and, very efficiently, the nosecone is replaced, bringing with it a new front wing.

Because of the adjustable 'winglets' or whatever you'd term them, will the noscone replacement take longer? How difficult will the swap be this year?

Shifter
13th February 2009, 09:54
Just did some digging and apparently, at least with BMW, the adjustable flaps are power operated, so they can be plug-and-play. Still wonder what effect damage would have...

Mark
13th February 2009, 10:02
Presumably the team will know what setting the car had before the crash so will set the new nose to the correct setting before fitting. Not an issue?

Robinho
13th February 2009, 13:05
i have read the connections are proving to be a problem for fast nose changes, it might cost the teams a few seconds extra over previous years where they were very quick with nose changes

ioan
13th February 2009, 13:34
I think they all use self powered systems (electrical would be easiest, hydraulic would be already a bit more complicated).
These are mounted in the front wing end plates, if I'm not mistaken.

truefan72
13th February 2009, 16:31
Hmm seems like it will cause more problems than it is worth. Electronics always go bad, malfunction or worse. Also changing the part seems like a bit more work than it is worth. Why not make the adjustment when you are in the pits. The benefits of an adjustable front wing seem to be far less than the trouble they could cause.

K-Pu
13th February 2009, 16:48
Maybe this can be a focus of unreliability, but I´m not sure... It seems (to me) that it can not be that difficult to make them reliable, although in case of collision or whatever forces you to change your nosecone...

Anyway, it can always go wrong and if you want to adjust it you´ll have to go to the pits and so on, like the old days. Anyway, this spices up (a little bit) the incoming season, so I´m waiting for something to happen...