PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 field is pretty much set

MDS
13th February 2009, 01:16
We’re a month and a half away, and based on the rumors I’m hearing Silly Season is pretty much at an end. So here is what we have, and it’s a pretty bleak picture. I only count six to ten legitimate sponsors, seven single car teams, and at least six ride buyers. That said, seven single car teams in a 22-car field isn’t all bad. Conceivably, as the sport grows stronger a number of those teams could expand and realistically lift the field to the 24-26 range in a year or two. The down side is, one car teams fold quicker.

22 Full time teams

Andretti Green Racing
7- Danica Patrick Motorola
11- Tony Kannan 7-11
26- Marco Andretti TBA
27- Hideki Mutoh Honda

Conquest Racing
36- Alex Tagliani

Dale Coyne Racing
16- (I'm hearing Nelson Phillipe has bought the seat)
18- Bruno Junqueria Zline Designs

Dryer & Reinbold Racing
??- Mike Conway

HVM Racing
33- E.J. Viso PDVSA

Luczo Dragon Racing
12- Raphael Matos

Newman Hass Racing
02- Robert Doornbos ING, Redbull
06- Graham Rahal McDonalds
??- Milka Duno Citgo

Panther Racing
4- Dan Wheldon

Team Penske
3-Will Power Sponsor who must not be named
6-Ryan Brisco Sponsor who must not be named

Team 3G
?? Stanton Barrett

PVRT
5- Mario Moreas

PCM/Rubicon
15-Buddy Rice

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
9- Scott Dixon Target
10- Dario Franchetti Target

Vision Racing
20- Ed Carpenter TonyBux

Hoop-98
13th February 2009, 01:28
in 2009 Bleak is the new ab fab....

I will be impressed if they have 22 in this climate, dealers that I call on that were selling 450 cars a month are now doing 70, it aint an excuse, it is what it is...

rh

drewdawg727
13th February 2009, 05:00
PVRT? What happened to PKV?

IWUTitan90
13th February 2009, 06:21
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-robins-indycar-mailbag-for-february-11th/

RM: My information about Bobby D's sponsorship is incorrect, as I will share a letter I received this week.

“Dear Robin, can I clarify that your assertion in the below speedtv article that Robert Doornbos is bring ING sponsorship money with him to the US is entirely incorrect in all aspects. We are not entering IRL, and we do not sponsor Robert Doornbos.

Our work with Robert was limited to driver appearances during the Bavaria City race held in Rotterdam in 2007 and 2008. I would be very grateful is you could remove this inaccuracy from the article.

Jon Tracey
Director, Press & PR ING Formula 1 Programme.”

Appears Doornbos may be coming but ING is not.

Dr. Krogshöj
13th February 2009, 08:55
Unfortunately one of my two favourite drivers (Justin Wilson and Tony Kanaan) is left without a seat. As is Ryan Hunter-Reay, Oriol Servia and Paul Tracy. But we can't complain in this climate, there will be an IndyCar series after all. Go Stanton Barrett and Milka Duno!

BobGarage
13th February 2009, 09:41
PVRT? What happened to PKV?

think he got his letters mixed up.

pkv didn't race last year. KVRT did (Kalkhoven Vasser Racing Technologies). The P (Dan Pettit) dropped out of the team before Champ Car disolved and the team changed their name to KVRT before the start of last season.

Claus Hansen
13th February 2009, 11:22
Is Tony Kanaan not confirmed ????

beachbum
13th February 2009, 12:29
I got the same impression, but then read the post again

Unfortunately one of my two favourite drivers (Justin Wilson and Tony Kanaan) is left without a seat.

Just one is without a seat - Wilson

I today's economic climate, having 22 somewhat confirmed is pretty amazing. The other major series in the US is having trouble getting sponsors for established, winning teams. The future for that racing for the middle of their season is pretty bleak as it is unlikely they will have full fields. If they do, the field may be filled out with more qualify and park teams living off the prize money paid just to start.

drewdawg727
13th February 2009, 22:31
Didn't Sarah Fisher have everything completely put together to run a full season in 2009 as well?

MDS
13th February 2009, 22:42
My understanding is she has enough sponsorship to run at least Kentucky, Kansas and Indy, and probably a couple more ovals, but I don't think she's going to make more than 10 starts.

drewdawg727
14th February 2009, 16:02
Hmmm, I thought after her crash at Chicago that she said that she was looking to 2009 with her new sponsor and that you'd see her at a lot more races. I think I can even remember her saying that she was interested in a second car.

MDS
14th February 2009, 16:17
10 is more than 5

EagleEye
14th February 2009, 17:29
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-robins-indycar-mailbag-for-february-11th/

Appears Doornbos may be coming but ING is not.

As of today, the money has not yet been deposited. "Rob the Knob" and his handlers have missed yet another promised deadline...

And, I don't know of anyone who has recieved any email from KL in regards to any press functions with NHL next week.

Chamoo
14th February 2009, 17:40
As of today, the money has not yet been deposited. "Rob the Knob" and his handlers have missed yet another promised deadline...

And, I don't know of anyone who has recieved any email from KL in regards to any press functions with NHL next week.

Doornbos' site says that NHL wants to make the official announcement. He has basically said he is signed on his website, but, NHL is waiting to do their own announcement.

Also, it seems CITGO will be the main backer of NHL.

indycool
14th February 2009, 17:45
There are still some things that can happen with money. Rahal-Letterman has three cars in the barn and plans to run Indy with somebody. Some bucks would take that farther. Vision is hopeful of landing a sponsor for Foyt. Keith Wiggins is trying to run two cars. A few bucks can happen or not at all. Stay tuned.

DanicaFan
14th February 2009, 18:10
No. Tony Kanaan has been confirmed since last year. He signed a 5 year contract with AGR last year.

Chamoo
14th February 2009, 19:21
There are still some things that can happen with money. Rahal-Letterman has three cars in the barn and plans to run Indy with somebody. Some bucks would take that farther. Vision is hopeful of landing a sponsor for Foyt. Keith Wiggins is trying to run two cars. A few bucks can happen or not at all. Stay tuned.

If RLR does well enough in the 500 which they should since they aren't really a 500 only team, does that give them enough money to run a couple more races?

indycool
14th February 2009, 22:30
Hard to tell....if Rahal sees the money, he'll go for it.

MDS
15th February 2009, 00:21

They could just be planning on doing a press release and doing phone interviews. It's not like there are many TV outlets covering open wheel anymore. Or they might have the official unveiling of the whole thing at Homestead in in two weeks.

Vision doesn't even have a sponsor for Ed, so how are they going to find two primaries in the two weeks before testing, and we're six weeks or so before the start of the season. I think RLR and Vision will field a car for Indy, but as far as full time teams, unless something uncanny happens, the only open seat I see at this point is at Dale Coyne, and we should find that driver out at Homestead.

Chamoo
15th February 2009, 00:27
Vision doesn't even have a sponsor for Ed, so how are they going to find two primaries in the two weeks before testing, and we're six weeks or so before the start of the season. I think RLR and Vision will field a car for Indy, but as far as full time teams, unless something uncanny happens, the only open seat I see at this point is at Dale Coyne, and we should find that driver out at Homestead.

Menards announced they are backing Carpenter again this season.

TG can't expect good things to come from not running 2 cars. How can he expect owners to invest money in their teams if he isn't willing to invest in his own team. I understand he has spent a good deal of cash, but, he is sending a bad message to the owners by not running 2 cars with or without sponsorship.

Wilf
15th February 2009, 03:49

TG can't expect good things to come from not running 2 cars. How can he expect owners to invest money in their teams if he isn't willing to invest in his own team. I understand he has spent a good deal of cash, but, he is sending a bad message to the owners by not running 2 cars with or without sponsorship.

If an owner is waiting for TG to put up some money might have forgotten all the equipment, chassis and engines, distributed last year. If someone questions his commitment to the league they really should examine how the league got this far? It's time the league stands on it's own without another $4 mil from TG.

Chamoo
15th February 2009, 05:35
If an owner is waiting for TG to put up some money might have forgotten all the equipment, chassis and engines, distributed last year. If someone questions his commitment to the league they really should examine how the league got this far? It's time the league stands on it's own without another $4 mil from TG.

Like I said, I understand he has pumped a large sum of money, but if some prospective sponsor looks into the IRL and sees TG isn't willing to put a second car in, what message does it send to someone who doesn't know.

It's the same thing as when Gerry Forsythe said he wasn't going to run a second car in CCWS. The sky was falling and I'm sure it worried some of the owners about the future of the series if one of the owners refused to run 2 cars.

indycool
15th February 2009, 05:44
As I recall, they're still trying to find money for Quattro.

Chamoo
15th February 2009, 06:05
As I recall, they're still trying to find money for Quattro.

I feel TG should be running IV with or without sponsorship. Unless this is simply a ploy to try and get some sponsorship money, and TG is planning on running 2 cars either way, he should confirm two cars now.

indycool
15th February 2009, 11:48
It's February. Why?

MDS
15th February 2009, 14:00

That's what they've said, but there is no Menards signage on the Vision website.

SarahFan
15th February 2009, 15:38
It's February. Why?

because it's febuary

no time like the present

SarahFan
15th February 2009, 15:40
wouldn't it be nice if Tony was actually serios about this racing thing and put a driver or two in the the car(s) who had a shot at winning a couple races and competing for a championship

instead Vision racing is just another example of what is wrong with AOWR

indycool
15th February 2009, 15:48
Carpenter had a few good runs last year, although no, he wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Tony.

SarahFan
15th February 2009, 16:16
Carpenter had a few good runs last year, although no, he wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Tony.

it would make a statement if Tony put Wilson in the second seat.... and a third for Tracy at Long beach, Indy, Texas, Toronto and Edmonton

Chamoo
15th February 2009, 17:20
I'm not even upset with the fact that Foyt and Carpenter are the two drivers. Foyt actually made some big leaps on road courses this year.

indycool
15th February 2009, 17:22
I don't know what statement that would make.

SarahFan
15th February 2009, 17:44
I don't know what statement that would make.

it would send a message that the IRL is about serios competition, racing for wins and championships with world class race car drivers......

instead of driving around to fill the field and create a bump or two

kev1n
15th February 2009, 19:22
What are the odds of this many cars making it to the end of the year? Is there a chance some may pull out if the results arent forth coming?

indycool
15th February 2009, 19:55
Oh.

Wilf
16th February 2009, 04:57
Oh.
Every driver finishing 15th or lower should be fired so Ken can put his selections in the field.

Chamoo
16th February 2009, 05:22
What are the odds of this many cars making it to the end of the year? Is there a chance some may pull out if the results arent forth coming?

I doubt you'll see anyone stop racing because the results aren't there. The purses aren't big enough where the purses can cover part of the season.

If teams do pull out due to "lack of results" it will be due to lack of money in all truthfulness.

I doubt you see any cars announced to do a full season pull out though.

SarahFan
16th February 2009, 14:26
Every driver finishing 15th or lower should be fired so Ken can put his selections in the field.

how do you fire a ride buyer?

indycool
16th February 2009, 15:54
Just tell 'em Ken said so.

EagleEye
16th February 2009, 16:34
Doornbos' site says that NHL wants to make the official announcement. He has basically said he is signed on his website, but, NHL is waiting to do their own announcement.

Also, it seems CITGO will be the main backer of NHL.

Kathy has not emailed anyone about any pending press release/new annoucements this week.

If there was going to be a press involved, they would be notified in advance.

The only group indicating this is a done deal is Rob the Job and his handlers. As of today, the money still has not arrived....

ykiki
16th February 2009, 16:53
Kathy has not emailed anyone about any pending press release/new annoucements this week.

The only group indicating this is a done deal is Rob the Job and his handlers. As of today, the money still has not arrived....

Is it the CITGO money that hasn't arrived? One would think that Doornbos isn't really bringing any money to the table and that things are getting financed by Milka's sponsorship.

As far as the pending press release goes...how far in advance does a pre-release get released? Some of us don't know these things. I can understand a pre-release telling reporters to be at "Location X" for a press conference at a certain date and time. However, how does this work if the team simply wants to issue a piece of paper with sponsorship and driver info?

indycool
16th February 2009, 16:55
If they hold a press conference with the principals, theyll send by email or other means an invitation as to when and where. If they're just going to announce it, they'll email the information to the media and put it on their website.

SarahFan
16th February 2009, 17:17
Just tell 'em Ken said so.

typical response.....

void of reality

Lousada
16th February 2009, 18:11

Who says he will sign with NHL? His website makes no mention of any team whatsoever. And as his sponsors are probably Dutch, the press conference will perhaps be in NL.

EagleEye
16th February 2009, 18:16
Is it the CITGO money that hasn't arrived? One would think that Doornbos isn't really bringing any money to the table and that things are getting financed by Milka's sponsorship.

As far as the pending press release goes...how far in advance does a pre-release get released? Some of us don't know these things. I can understand a pre-release telling reporters to be at "Location X" for a press conference at a certain date and time. However, how does this work if the team simply wants to issue a piece of paper with sponsorship and driver info?

His people have been saying they have a deal with NHL and it is based on him bringing money (which has yet to arrive....again). He went so far to say that he had three offers, when in fact he had made three offers.

His people announced they had signed a deal, but no word yet frm NHL. Kathy does a great job of notifying people in advance of any announcements, so that we can be there. So far, nada.

ykiki
17th February 2009, 16:47
Conquest Racing
36- Alex Tagliani

Yet it will be Jaime Camara testing at Homestead next week. Hmmm....

MDS
18th February 2009, 12:28
Apparently Stanton Barrett will be driving a #98 Interush car with pain scheme similar to what the team ran at Motegi last year, according to a drawing on ICS.com

garyshell
18th February 2009, 19:11
Apparently Stanton Barrett will be driving a #98 Interush car with pain scheme similar to what the team ran at Motegi last year, according to a drawing on ICS.com

Yep, as I remember they experienced quite a bit of pain last year... :s mokin:

Gary

SoCalPVguy
18th February 2009, 22:36
Do not count on Doornbos at NHL - due to sponsorship / patron problems that deal is most likely OFF at this time.

MDS
19th February 2009, 04:20
I know the IRL brass is pushing the idea that its going to be 24-26 full time cars, but I'm pretty sure its going to be 22 FT with some part time and a number of Indy only entries.

Yet it will be Jaime Camara testing at Homestead next week. Hmmm....

Apparently Camara and Tags will be splitting the ride. As I understand it they had a sponsor for Tags bail, the team took pay cuts and Camara bought himself a number of starts with Conquest.

Eric Bachelart From the preseason conference calls they do in instead of a full-blown media week:

We were a two-car team last year. It's our ambition to stay a two-car team. We have to be realistic. It's very possible that we might have to share the car between two drivers for the season.

It's also looking more and more like Vision will only have one car for the in-law. Per Calvin

First of all, I spoke with Ed Carpenter yesterday, and he said it didn't look good for Vision being able to run Anthony this season. When I saw Anthony about two weeks ago, he said his grandfather's team didn't have the extra sponsorship, either. He said that if he's still unemployed as May approaches, he'll run the 500 in one of his grandfather's car.

Ineffectual
19th February 2009, 15:51
Oh.

That's the kind of searing insight we need more of around here.

DanicaFan
25th March 2009, 04:17
I guess this is our silly season thread.. :confused:

This might sound harsh but good news, Milka Duno's funding didnt go thru as planned and she is without a ride at the moment!! Doornbos is still in. No loss with Milka out. :)

Nikki Katz
25th March 2009, 18:41
I guess this is our silly season thread.. :confused:

This might sound harsh but good news, Milka Duno's funding didnt go thru as planned and she is without a ride at the moment!! Doornbos is still in. No loss with Milka out. :)
I was under the impression that the whole reason that they offered the seat to Duno in the first place is that it would bring in enough money to support their other drivers. I'm sure I saw somewhere that Doornbos has confirmed that he doesn't yet have enough sponsorship for a full season. But he has gone well in testing, so hopefully he'll be able to see the season out. Though as far as losing Duno goes I really couldn't care less.

The car count seems significantly lower than many people were saying a while ago, which is obviously a shame. At least the merger did happen last year - I think that both series would be in serious trouble now if they were still separate.