PDA

View Full Version : US F1 Team Press Conference - February 24th

Giuseppe F1
12th February 2009, 16:14
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21179.html

FEBRUARY 12, 2009
The USF1 team plans a launch

Peter Windsor says that the new USF1 team will be launched on Speed TV on February 24. The new team hopes that the announcement of the project will result in more backing arriving.

Windsor started his F1 career as a journalist but became Williams F1's sponsorship manager in 1985. In 1988 he left the team and tried to buy Brabham but the deal ended up in a legal wrangle, although Windsor ended up being awarded $2m in damages. In 1990 he became head of Ferrari's Guildford Technical Office but a year later went back to Williams as team manager. In 1993 Windsor went to America hoping to set up an Indycar team but when that did not happen he established a new F1 team with Japan's Tetsu Ikuzawa and Enrique Scalabroni. This opened a drawing office in Basildon, Essex, but never found the money to build the cars. Windsor then returned to the F1 media and has been working for Speed TV for several years.

Placid
15th February 2009, 01:27
Check out the website:

The countdown has begun.

http://www.usf1.com

markabilly
15th February 2009, 04:04

FEBRUARY 12, 2009

Windsor started his F1 career as a journalist but became Williams F1's sponsorship manager in 1985. In 1988 he left the team and tried to buy Brabham but the deal ended up in a legal wrangle, although Windsor ended up being awarded $2m in damages. In 1990 he became head of Ferrari's Guildford Technical Office but a year later went back to Williams as team manager. In 1993 Windsor went to America hoping to set up an Indycar team but when that did not happen he established a new F1 team with Japan's Tetsu Ikuzawa and Enrique Scalabroni. This opened a drawing office in Basildon, Essex, but never found the money to build the cars. .

Is this like fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me,
Or those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat its failures

I would love it, but reality is......................... :rolleyes:

Azumanga Davo
15th February 2009, 05:45
Enrique Scalabroni, the king of dud projects.

Tazio
15th February 2009, 07:45

FEBRUARY 12, 2009

Peter Windsor says that the new USF1 team will be launched on Speed TV on February 24. The new team hopes that the announcement of the project will result in more backing arriving.
More than the backing they already have by Fox, I mean Speed TV maybe?

I think I may have called this already!
Post# 1 "This I've got to see"

"from a base in Charlotte, North Carolina."

Which happens to be where the Speedtv studios are
Not a Bad thing in my selfish way of thinking!
Whether or not it gets on the grid,
It may bring more F1 To my TV than ever before :D
Maybe Speed TV has started reading some of their mail, and replacing "pinks all out" and Nopi Tuners
with some in depth F1 material may be embraced by race fans! :dozey:

jens
16th February 2009, 08:50
Wait a moment... Team launch and press conference? Is this team really going to exist? I thought it was a joke. :p :

Placid
21st February 2009, 03:13
I love to see FOX Sports and ESPN televise the announcement too.

call_me_andrew
23rd February 2009, 06:20
Watching Peter Windsor discuss competing in F1 with a budget less than $70 million, I was reminded of a line from the movie Bowfinger: "That's after gross net deduction profit percentage deferment ten percent of the nut. Cash, every movie cost $2,184."

nigelred5
23rd February 2009, 12:32
Well, if there was ever a time to enter F1 with a clean slate and a minimal budget, now would be the time. I've got to think that even in this economy, they must have some definite financial backing.

Knock-on
23rd February 2009, 13:10
Blimey, perhaps Team Knock-on wasn't so far fetched after all. :s

FIAT1
23rd February 2009, 20:17
Superb news. I hope it goes as planed. Good for the fans,USA and F1.

Valve Bounce
23rd February 2009, 21:08
Well, if there was ever a time to enter F1 with a clean slate and a minimal budget, now would be the time. I've got to think that even in this economy, they must have some definite financial backing.

Some guy called Stamford has promised buckets of cash.

PSfan
23rd February 2009, 21:36
Anyone catch Windtunnel last night/this morning?

Peter was almost being informative. He claimed the $68m or $70m was the press jumping to conclusions, and that all they claimed was that they had enuff money to start. Also said that it wouldn't necessarily be 2 American drivers, and might have an experienced driver to start with.

veeten
23rd February 2009, 23:55
Well, one year later it looks like I was right.

I had posted about this last year, that Mr. Anderson was looking to make some noise about a US-based F1 team, and that the WindShear tunnel was at the center of it all. :)

http://www.windshearinc.com/

as for the possible driver that will headlight this team later, my guess is for a man that has past experience internationally: Jonathan Summerton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Summerton

http://www.jonathansummerton.com/

Dave B
24th February 2009, 09:37
Some guy called Stamford has promised buckets of cash.
:rotflmao:

nigelred5
24th February 2009, 17:09
So, anyone on the TV wanna tell us what's being said? I can't get any kind of active content here at work.

veeten
24th February 2009, 17:30
Am watching, and it looks like it's legit.

Opposed to what other teams have in employee numbers, they will have a core employment force of 100, with other areas being outsourced by the partners/vendors that supply the team.

In short, the lowered costs that FIA and FOM are moving towards is what will put USF1 on both the grid and on the map. Remember, everyone else will be scaling down to fit the new economic model, while USF1l be building at the exact same point. By encurring a lower cost at start, and being able to build as the seasons go, they could be competitive in a shorter time period as compared to previous teams over the past couple of decades.

Personally, I like the method that Anderson & Windsor are taking.

gloomyDAY
24th February 2009, 17:34
Rock n' Roll. Are you watching it live?

I really want to see the video once I get back from work.

pits4me
24th February 2009, 17:49
A very interesting approach. The poor economy and financial instabiity with current F1 teams bodes well.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/us-f1-press-conference-live-on-speed-tuesday/

It sounds like they already have a core group of technical guys committed to the fold and plenty of aerospace technology in proximity to their proposed facility location.

A laundry list of American drivers including Alexander Rossi, Marco Andretti, Graham Rahal, Scott Speed, Danica Patrick, Kyle Busch, Jonathan Summerton, etc.

It will be interesting to learn more about how Rick Weidinger's A1 Team USA fits into this after the one-on-one interviews hit the boards.

Easy Drifter
24th February 2009, 18:25
Sorry to be a cynic but what did we learn that wasn't already known.
Their head office seems to be a Starbucks. :)
They have no hired employees, although committments.
They have no design. (I suspect one is started.)
They have no drivers.
They have no engine or tranny supplier.
They have no factory. There are vacant NASCAR former shops available.
They do have probably first dibs on a top wind tunnel but do they have top technicians to interpret results? That is probably easily solved.
That wind tunnel is a commercial venture that is suposed to make money. How much time can they use it and still have it make money.
Once they really get started I would expect none of the F1 teams will want to use it for fear of comprimising their info.
They have no facilities in Europe.
They do not appear to have any air transport locked up.
There is no word on sponsorship or even where the start up capital came from.
This is just a hunch but I feel that Fox/Speed are deeply involved.
In the Machevilian world of big business they may be looking at a back up in case of future problems with NASCAR. Also to show to NASCAR that it is not the only game in town.
I hope I am wrong but it still seems a little too pie in the sky.
Just consider all the failed F1 operations over the years and they really are still in the talking stage.
As of right now I cannot see any driver (or their business Mgr. )committing to this team.

gloomyDAY
24th February 2009, 18:41
We'll see what happens in 1 year. :bounce:

Dave B
24th February 2009, 18:44
I'm getting flashbacks to Mastercard Lola :crazy:

DexDexter
24th February 2009, 18:59

Me too, same sort of talk. They need current F1 designers or the car will look like the Lola too: fat, slow and ugly. :)

jens
24th February 2009, 20:12
Windsor says they "have the budget". Well, who are their sponsors then? No information about that. A lot of talk, but very little concrete.

I have also heard their argument of most F1's technology coming from the USA despite the bases of F1 teams being located in Europe. Has anyone got more information about the background of such claim?

BDunnell
24th February 2009, 20:21

If they do emulate that illustrious effort, I look forward to them changing their plans and being present for the first race in 2009.

nigelred5
24th February 2009, 20:28
Me too, same sort of talk. They need current F1 designers or the car will look like the Lola too: fat, slow and ugly. :)

................as opposed to most of the 09 cars? :eek:

What I take in so far;

Team members- I rekin' we can change a tire with one lug nut in 4 seconds. Whutta ya mean we get 18 people to do it?? Hell fire son, who's holdin mah beer???
These guys actually train 365 to change a 50lb tire in nascar. i suspect they can handle an F1 car right nicely.

Transportation- on F1's dime apparently, air freight travels faster than a semi hauler and the team gains 8 hours going home.

Real-Estate- There's numerous vacant racing facilities in the Charlotte area. pick one, sign a lease. Probably take a week to close the deal in this market with a paying customer.
they have been shopping for a base for their equipment in spain for a while from the reports I've read and I also believe I had seen mention of partnering with an existing (non F1) race team already based in the area.

Engine lease- apparently the Honda team has a deal for Mercedes engines if they find a buyer. How long did that take?? I won't be shocked to see Toyota power. They really want to be seen as an "american" company in a lot of respects, and in many, they are. With so big of an operation in North Carolina....

No need for engine guys- they come with the contract.

Drivers?- When was the last contract finalized for the 09 seats.? We've got an entire season of race results ahead of up and non-Americans are a possibility. Seems to me there are quite a few former F1 test drivers around. When would a new team officially fall under the testing limitations? There's plenty of tracks to test on in the US. including Indy which is still FIA grade 1 cert.

Chassis design-I suppose it's foolish to start a chassis before the ink was dry on the regulations for 2010. I suspect there are more than a handful of open wheel designers capable of designing an ugly F1 car. ;) Certainly not many Michaelangelo's at work in F1 right now. Isn't Nigel Stepney designing in car cameras or something these days.???

Things like brakes, hardware, etc. They can likely get the parts faster than the european teams considering much of it is actually sourced from the US in the first place.

Wind tunnel- they own it already and well, there apparent'y hasn't been a whole lot of work for it lately with the changes in the NASCAR and IRL regs.
Wasnt there also just a discussion on limiting wind tunnel time in favor of CFD in a cost saving measure anyway?

Financial backing... AAAAH chaaaa, there's the $64 million dollar question.... in this economy, how much do they really have, and for how long......?

It's not like the principals are strangers to F1 by any means. $400 million or so a year and several hundred Honda employees that supposedly know what they are doing garnered them a big ol "UNO" their entire time in F1 since BAR was formed. gimme a couple experienced engineers and a few photos and well, we know the basic parameters from the regs. It's not like there is much room for innovation. The regs design the car these days.
I guess I just don't see it as such a stretch considering so little of F1 is even contested in Europe any longer and maybe an actual North American based F1 team will bring back a race or two to the continent.

nigelred5
24th February 2009, 20:41
Windsor says they "have the budget". Well, who are their sponsors then? No information about that. A lot of talk, but very little concrete.

I have also heard their argument of most F1's technology coming from the USA despite the bases of F1 teams being located in Europe. Has anyone got more information about the background of such claim?

Brakes are the most obvious. Hitco and Carbon industries are in the US; Many of the Carbon suppliers are in the US. Microsoft is partnered with Mclaren on the ECU's. I've read some articles about some of the KERS technology coming from the US. I know the old Arrows team's wings used to be manufactured in an American Cyanamid plant about a mile from my house. One of my frineds used to build them.

DexDexter
24th February 2009, 21:21
Chassis design-I suppose it's foolish to start a chassis before the ink was dry on the regulations for 2010. I suspect there are more than a handful of open wheel designers capable of designing an ugly F1 car. ;) Certainly not many Michaelangelo's at work in F1 right now. Isn't Nigel Stepney designing in car cameras or something these days.???

I'm sure that an F1 car can indeed be designed by "open wheel designers", it's just not going to be a quick one. F1 is much harder than that, ask Toyota, Honda etc. etc. Still I hope the team makes it onto the grid, maybe they could be like Minardi with those smiling faces :) . Well, anything new is good.

jens
24th February 2009, 21:36
The main strange thing about this proposed new team is that they are trying to be so blatantly nationalistic. Alas already purely this aspect doesn't create any belief in the team. Heck, even in Force India the only "homemade" component is... well, the team owner and his sponsoring company. The rest is international.

truefan72
24th February 2009, 22:22
If i werre them I would hire the entire super Aguri staff

pits4me
24th February 2009, 23:14

The claim is real jens. You can start here: http://www.techbriefs.com/
I've seen some very innovative electro-fluidic systems originally developed for jet fighters that found a home in F1.

Most technology partners keep below the radar for obvious reasons.

pits4me
24th February 2009, 23:27
Ken Anderson reckons he has a head start with his new team as far as technology is concerned: Quote

"Most of the technology in Formula 1 comes from the United States to begin with," he said. itv.com/f1

I personally wasn't aware of this, but I suppose you learn something new everyday.

Northrop Grumman (via TRW), Lockheed Martin, SAIC, UTC, Boeing . . .
Timing is perfect given the overhaul of outdated ground transportation systems.

nigelred5
25th February 2009, 01:30
The main strange thing about this proposed new team is that they are trying to be so blatantly nationalistic. Alas already purely this aspect doesn't create any belief in the team. Heck, even in Force India the only "homemade" component is... well, the team owner and his sponsoring company. The rest is international.

Force India is nothing but an ego stroke for yet another "trillionaire" as Windsor repeatedly referred to in the press conference. It's still the same ol Jordan team It's always been based in Silverstone. It's no stranger than A1GP being ENTIRELY nationalistic. That's how we do things. Waht's strange is that it's a Brit leading the charge. ;)

I still fail to see why so many people seem to have the attitude no one outside of England or Maranello is capable of designing and building a competetive F1 Car. No one has because no one has seen the need to in the last 40 years. We build things like supercomputers and full composite hypersonic fighter jets and interplanetary spacecraft in this country. Not every racer in the U S goes to sleep every night listening to duelling banjos.

gloomyDAY
25th February 2009, 03:07
Doesn't matter if this teams floats or not, Peter does have a good point (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73414).

Formula 1 is too cold when it comes to their fans. No one is ever allowed inside their facilities nor do any teams really encourage drivers to be more open with fans. A few autographs and chats would only help the sport. We want to be intrigued, so please let us in your door!

Tazio
25th February 2009, 03:21
Not every racer in the U S goes to sleep every night listening to duelling banjos.

And why not ??? :laugh: (starts at two minutes in)

RyKvD-4IxOY

anthonyvop
25th February 2009, 04:35
I met with some people down at the Homestead-Miami Speedway today. they were there talking with certain Indycar team and crewmembers about working for another team.

It appears there is another US group looking to start an American F1 team but unlike USF1 they don't want to announce anything until they have actually started the team.

Dave B
25th February 2009, 08:47
If they've got any sense they'd make an offer for Honda and set up in the UK using the existing facilites and staff. They'd avoid paying the FIA deposit, they wouldn't have to wait a year to see any TV revenue, and they'd have a ready-to-go car with which to gain a year's experience.

Then, if they are still determined to be a 100% USA team, they could relocate to the States and poach the most talented staff.

ArrowsFA1
25th February 2009, 09:44
I still fail to see why so many people seem to have the attitude no one outside of England or Maranello is capable of designing and building a competetive F1 Car.
It's a very Euro-centric view :) One which sees US motorsport in terms of NASCAR as an unsophisticated, contrived entertainment show in comparison with F1. It's not one I share.

However, I had my doubts about USF1 when the news first broke, and I still have doubts. Not because they intend to be US-based, but because, other than Toyota, setting up an F1 team from scratch has not been done in a decade, and they've chosen perhaps the worst time to do it in economic terms.

USF1 talk a good talk at the moment, and appear to have exciting plans. I wish them all the best, and if they make it to the grid I hope they build a car as good looking as the Eagle :s mokin:

DexDexter
25th February 2009, 12:52
We build things like supercomputers and full composite hypersonic fighter jets and interplanetary spacecraft in this country. Not every racer in the U S goes to sleep every night listening to duelling banjos.

But can you build good passenger cars or competitive racing cars? Maybe USF1 will be the first one.

nigelred5
25th February 2009, 13:09
And why not ??? :laugh: (starts at two minutes in)

RyKvD-4IxOY

fingernails+chalkboard comes to mind (More of a Rocky Top kinda guy myself) ;)

wedge
25th February 2009, 13:27
It's a very Euro-centric view :) One which sees US motorsport in terms of NASCAR as an unsophisticated, contrived entertainment show in comparison with F1. It's not one I share.

However, I had my doubts about USF1 when the news first broke, and I still have doubts. Not because they intend to be US-based, but because, other than Toyota, setting up an F1 team from scratch has not been done in a decade, and they've chosen perhaps the worst time to do it in economic terms.

USF1 talk a good talk at the moment, and appear to have exciting plans. I wish them all the best, and if they make it to the grid I hope they build a car as good looking as the Eagle :s mokin:

Agreed

The financial climate is the major obstacle but with the new regulations with testing and so forth are a benefit.

A more open factory sounds interesting as I've heard good things about the Penske factory where you can see the staff at work and view their race cars past and present. How it will work in a paranoid industrial espionage F1 environment remains to be seen.

nigelred5
25th February 2009, 13:38
But can you build good passenger cars or competitive racing cars? Maybe USF1 will be the first one.

Well, actually, we can and we do if people actually get in them and drive them without a preconceived notion of what to expect. The problem is the manufacturers decided they know better what Americans needed in a car. What they think we need and what we actually need is also still quite different than what Europeans need or want. Drive cross country in an M3 sometime with two kids. 5 days and 4K miles of expansion joints still ring in my spine. Next time I do it, it won't be in an M3!!! I'll admit, I own and drive VWAG products, but I've owned a GM van for 9 years and have owned several american cars, and they are no better or worse than any Euriopean car I've owned, just different.

Don't kid your self, there are PLENTY of crap vehicles produced in Europe. I was born there, I've lived there, I've owned them and I've cursed them on a regular basis. I've cursed my wife's A4 about once a week since we've had it. At least a human being can fit in most of what Americans build. ;)

How many times has a Corvette won Lemans?? Ever driven a Cadillac cts-v? I'll take you on in a 5 series in one ;) When Americans WANT to produce something to compete internationally, they can and will.

I'm enthusiastic, I'm 100% supportive of the effort, and I'm optomistic that they will capable of doing every bit as well as the Hondas, Toyotas, and Minardis on a 10th of the budget.

DexDexter
25th February 2009, 14:32
Well, actually, we can and we do if people actually get in them and drive them without a preconceived notion of what to expect. The problem is the manufacturers decided they know better what Americans needed in a car. What they think we need and what we actually need is also still quite different than what Europeans need or want. Drive cross country in an M3 sometime with two kids. 5 days and 4K miles of expansion joints still ring in my spine. Next time I do it, it won't be in an M3!!! I'll admit, I own and drive VWAG products, but I've owned a GM van for 9 years and have owned several american cars, and they are no better or worse than any Euriopean car I've owned, just different.

Don't kid your self, there are PLENTY of crap vehicles produced in Europe. I was born there, I've lived there, I've owned them and I've cursed them on a regular basis. I've cursed my wife's A4 about once a week since we've had it. At least a human being can fit in most of what Americans build. ;)

How many times has a Corvette won Lemans?? Ever driven a Cadillac cts-v? I'll take you on in a 5 series in one ;) When Americans WANT to produce something to compete internationally, they can and will.

I'm enthusiastic, I'm 100% supportive of the effort, and I'm optomistic that they will capable of doing every bit as well as the Hondas, Toyotas, and Minardis on a 10th of the budget.

All right. It would be nice to have the team in F1 next year, and maybe they will surprise a lot of people, it's just that after 25 years of following F1 it's a bit difficult for me to believe that somebody will reinvent the wheel all over again and do what others have tried and failed numerous times- be succesful with little money and resources.

pits4me
25th February 2009, 15:28

The Corvette ZR-1 seems to please a lot of Europeans. Then there's the custom Cadillac Escalades and Hummers for the 'trillionaires.'

pits4me
25th February 2009, 15:37
All right. It would be nice to have the team in F1 next year, and maybe they will surprise a lot of people, it's just that after 25 years of following F1 it's a bit difficult for me to believe that somebody will reinvent the wheel all over again and do what others have tried and failed numerous times- be succesful with little money and resources.

That's what's intriguing about Peter Windsor's role. Will we be seeing a new spin on the Dan Gurney AAR Eagle? I'm still recovering from the Alligator.

http://www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/alligator_home.html

nigelred5
25th February 2009, 16:33

Well, it's not like 1000 people and $400 million worked either ;)

jens
25th February 2009, 18:40
Well, it's not like 1000 people and $400 million worked either ;)

So you see - if even a large budget doesn't guarantee success, then there are even less chances for a team with a tiny budget.

nigelred5
25th February 2009, 19:46
So you see - if even a large budget doesn't guarantee success, then there are even less chances for a team with a tiny budget.

I guess I've been involved with far many David's than Goliath's in my years. Ever heard of the expression Too many cooks spoil the pot? Look what super Aguri did.

I'm not saying they are going to come in and win the WDC and constructors champoinship in 5 years, but who knows what they will even be driving in 5 or even 10 years. These guys know F1 from the sharp end of the grid, and Ken Anderson also knows how well a team can function with far fewer empolyees from his days in American racing. Personally, I want to know what 1000 people do in a F1 team. I suspect watching a pit stop tells a LOT about how things are done in F1.

AS far as the access to the teams, Yeah, the Nascar facilities are pretty amazing to visit, not to mention the track. The average fan can buy a pass and stand in the paddock just about anywhere. This summer my kids and I sat on side of the Ganassis GrandAM car talking to Scott Pruitt before the race in New Jersey and I'm a total nobody, just a fan. F1 could learn a WHOLE lot in the fan experience aspect. They are racing drivers, not gods.

Tazio
25th February 2009, 23:33
fingernails+chalkboard comes to mind (More of a Rocky Top kinda guy myself) ;) Have it your way :p :

_n9prNixjbg&feature=related

In the Bluegrass Genre I prefer Flatt, and Scruggs' "Balad of Jed Clampett"
Ya' awl come back now ya' hear! :)

gloomyDAY
28th February 2009, 16:30
http://www.impawards.com/2004/posters/team_america_world_police_ver2.jpg

America, fudge yeah!

markabilly
1st March 2009, 14:11

It should be as pretty as an old eagle, esp since I thought it was always better to win than to look good while losing, but if you can not have the former, might as well have the latter..... :s mokin:

Buying Honda might not be necessary as they and even others might be thinking a cheap, endless supply of competitve engines and drive trains, and the rest is relatively easy

ChrisS
2nd March 2009, 14:53
usf1.com now redirects to usgpe.com, anyone knows if that means anything?

pits4me
2nd March 2009, 17:06
The may have restrictions of using the "F1" term with FOM. At least until they are officially a recognised team. This is just a preliminary effort to get one going.

pits4me
3rd March 2009, 20:15
The F1 restriction has been confirmed. http://www.USf1.com will be known as http://www.USgpe.com (US Grand Prix Engineering) until the official USF1Team is formed and http://www.USF1Team.com approved for use by FOM.

FYI - the domain http://www.USF1Team.com was reserved on Feb. 05 2009 via godaddy.com

ChrisS
4th March 2009, 07:36
US Grand Prix Engineering

I can see Peter Windsor used his former employer WilliamsF1, aka Williams Grand Prix Engineering as inspiration for the name ;)