PDA

View Full Version : Giant Horse

Mark
10th February 2009, 12:06
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45437000/jpg/_45437100_49a99e7f-5e0e-4f80-809a-e3e9f8309256.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
10th February 2009, 12:09
what is that? 80ft high? :eek:

Ranger
10th February 2009, 12:12
We have a lot of big objects here in Oz, nothing that big!

Brown, Jon Brow
10th February 2009, 12:13
What does it eat?

Now I know why farmers have such big sheds but don't let anyone in them!

Hazell B
10th February 2009, 13:11
What does it eat?

Whatever it damned well likes :p :

Another mystery solved :up:

Is that what they've gone for then, as the southern version of The Angel of the North? At least it wasn't a fairy :)

Sonic
10th February 2009, 20:23
and I'm gonna get to drive past it EVERY day! Shheeeech

Anyone know where I can get a 5 foot tall sugar lump?

Sonic :)

ps hello to all btw

Rollo
10th February 2009, 21:33

Farmers obviously don't want hordes of Greeks jumping out and leveling everything. History tells us that that you shouldn't let very big horses in anywhere for fear of Greeks.

and I'm gonna get to drive past it EVERY day!

That'll be in your Williams FW15C I assume? Wouldn't it just be easier to get Tails to fly his plane?

GridGirl
11th February 2009, 08:23
I really like the Angel of the North but I really don't think there is any need to do a mock imitation of some large object in the South. Can they not come up with something more innovative. The Angel of the North was new and different 10 years ago. Maybe the South should think of somethign else and at roughtly £2m to build it sounds like a big waste of money.

leopard
11th February 2009, 09:38
Amazing ......... my grand father's horse is nowhere high to it, would he have strong enough mentality when he runs across a baby jaguar, go diego go ...

Dave B
11th February 2009, 09:49
Can they not come up with something more innovative. .
You should see the designs which lost :s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7387938.stm

jim mcglinchey
11th February 2009, 10:26
I think they picked the least imaginative one, I mean I could've said
" Lets stick a 150 feet high horse in the middle of the field...that'll be £100K thankyou." But Im sure it has alot more meaning than a philistine like me would appreciate.

ShiftingGears
11th February 2009, 11:48
They shouldve dressed that high voltage tower up as a scarecrow instead. Those people have no imagination :p :

Mark
11th February 2009, 12:23
It's going to cost council tax payers a fortune in grass to feed the thing.

schmenke
11th February 2009, 14:43
You should see the designs which lost :s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7387938.stm

The horse seems the most reasonable of that lot :s

BDunnell
11th February 2009, 14:54
Give it a few months and it will be absolutely filthy.

vauxhall corsa
11th February 2009, 17:32
how can it be that big it's MASSIVE

Hazell B
11th February 2009, 18:33
Am I missing something here, or is there a reason they chose a horse? Kent has no racing industry to speak of and it looks like a Thoroughbred to me :confused:
Or is it suggesting freedom or something? The headcollar says it shouldn't represent freedom, but maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, having had a few days to think about it and another look at Mark's picture, I think it's a major mistake. And that's from somebody who looked at a large grey Thoroughbred with a view to buying him, three weeks ago.

To top it all, TB's are bred from Arab horses and not even a native British breed. They're just something we invented. :mark:

Firstgear
11th February 2009, 18:35
I'll have to repeat what the French dudes in Monty Python's Holy Grail said:

"We already got one, and it's very nice."

(although not quite as big as the one you're proposing)

Dave B
11th February 2009, 18:48
Am I missing something here, or is there a reason they chose a horse? Kent has no racing industry to speak of and it looks like a Thoroughbred to me :confused:
Or is it suggesting freedom or something? The headcollar says it shouldn't represent freedom, but maybe I'm wrong?
There's a racecourse near Folkestone, what more do you want? :p

Serious answer: Invicta is the motto of Kent, hence the name of a rubbish radio station and hundreds of other companies in the area. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_horse_of_Kent

inimitablestoo
11th February 2009, 18:58
There's already an Angel of the South isn't there? It's in Islington according to my Monopoly board.

Caroline
11th February 2009, 19:52
The last suggestion shown on the BBC site is hilarious. I made something not all that different when I was in primary school with papier mache and paint. They all seem pretty bonkers to me.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44633000/jpg/_44633851_whiteread466.jpg

Rollo
11th February 2009, 22:12
I can save people £x,000,000s just by connecting a 9V battery to mains power and then wires from each of the terminals of the battery to the top of an iron pyramid. The effects are thus:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/c/a/fca9817b5fa601e4141ce2d15a3887a2.jpg
- A Giant Pair of Scissors floating in the sky.

Of course if you really wanted to repeat the experiment, you could build the pyramid not in iron but some other element such as lismuth, surgery, glue or emporium.

Roamy
11th February 2009, 22:13
never invest in anything that eats while you sleep !!!

Hazell B
12th February 2009, 15:13
There's a racecourse near Folkestone, what more do you want? :p
A fine course, nice five furlong.
Rather nasty food in the boxes, though :(

Serious answer: Invicta is the motto of Kent, hence the name of a rubbish radio station and hundreds of other companies in the area. :)

Ah, I never knew.
Cheers Dave :up:

vauxhall corsa
12th February 2009, 18:46
i wonder how much it would weigh

Daniel
13th February 2009, 02:00
Whatever it damned well likes :p :

Just make sure you keep your hands flat when you're feeding it! :p

Dave B
13th February 2009, 10:41
Will it be, erm.. anatomically correct, I wonder. :s

Mark
13th February 2009, 11:15
You mean hung like a horse? :p

GridGirl
13th February 2009, 12:58
Well I've been wondering that exact thing this this thread was started, its just that I didn't want to be the one to point it out!

jim mcglinchey
13th February 2009, 13:12
as Harry Hill would say " DIRTTY GIRL...".

Hazell B
13th February 2009, 16:44
Looking at the picture, he's a gelding. They have no erm, dangly bits to speak of.

It's all stored inside, and needs cleaning from time to time. You tend to learn early in the horse owning experience that cutting your fingernails before such a job is wise, if not life saving :mark: As I know somebody will ask, I'll tell you what you do with the smeg and skin that you've removed - or rather suggest you DO NOT let my dog lick your face on cleaning day :eek:

MrJan
13th February 2009, 16:52
I saw something somewhere which did actually say that you could tell it was a stallion. I'm no horsey person but I think they were implying that it's tackle would be present and correct :D

Thanks for the graphic imagery Hazell, I'm just going off to throw up somewhere ;)

Dave B
13th February 2009, 16:56
It's all stored inside, and needs cleaning from time to time. You tend to learn early in the horse owning experience that cutting your fingernails before such a job is wise, if not life saving :mark: As I know somebody will ask, I'll tell you what you do with the smeg and skin that you've removed - or rather suggest you DO NOT let my dog lick your face on cleaning day :eek:
They do say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and yet with those 70-odd you've painted a picture in my head far more vivid than I expected or wanted! :eek:

Hazell B
13th February 2009, 17:12
I saw something somewhere which did actually say that you could tell it was a stallion. I'm no horsey person but I think they were implying that it's tackle would be present and correct :D

Thanks for the graphic imagery Hazell, I'm just going off to throw up somewhere ;)

Throw up? Lightweight. It's just a bit of muck :p :

Anyway, while reading 'stallion' may be what everyone's doing, I'm willing to bet it's a gelding they build. His testicles will be spray painted bright red (or golden by a Beckham fan) within days otherwise. Anyway, stallions develop a cresty (arched) neck and geldings don't. He has a flat neck, no crest. He's also got rather weedy shoulders, which wouldn't do much of a job at pinning a mare down. It's all hormones, a stallion's build, and that horse isn't very manly looking to me. If they are making him a stallion, he's a untried one - like a racehorse who still races - and that's rather making the point Kent's full of virgins :p :

vauxhall corsa
13th February 2009, 20:23
that horse is class