PDA

View Full Version : Subaru joins the IRC?

steve_spackman
9th February 2009, 17:21
A Portuguese website is reporting that Subaru will be soon announcing their intentions to enter the Intercontinental Rally Challenge.

Their sources states that the Japanese manufacturer will sign up with the IRC and field a car in their production Group N class. Despite having canceled its program in the WRC, Subaru believes in the potential of the Impreza with new rules.

http://autosport.aeiou.pt/gen.pl?p=stories&op=view&fokey=as.stories/65838

Mirek
9th February 2009, 17:24
Repost ;)

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131567

steve_spackman
9th February 2009, 17:55
]Repost ;)

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131567

oops sorry didnt see that one there.

A.F.F.
9th February 2009, 20:26
Despite having canceled its program in the WRC, Subaru believes in the potential of the Impreza with new rules.

...or in other words; Despite having canceled it's program in the WRC, Subaru believes in the potential in the IRC :D

urabus-denoS2000
9th February 2009, 22:31
So basically they have just registered as a manufacter?

No works involment or something...

mjh
10th February 2009, 01:15
...or in other words; Despite having canceled it's program in the WRC, Subaru believes in the potential in the IRC :D

.... or in other words they've realised their car is a dog and unlikely to win anything against Ford and Citroen so they've relegated themselves to the 'second tier' competition :p

Mirek
10th February 2009, 10:47
So basically they have just registered as a manufacter?

No works involment or something...

Yes, they should only be registered, no works team or something like that. Tegistration is good for for Subaru customers as they will no longer be ignored by IRC media coverage.

RS
10th February 2009, 14:10
.... or in other words they've realised their car is a dog and unlikely to win anything against Ford and Citroen so they've relegated themselves to the 'second tier' competition :p

They are unlikely to win much in IRC either, apart from perhaps Safari and Japan. But as has been said, this is good for their customers and also good for them as a brand. I would have thought the IRC registration fee is not very much in return for the tv coverage they will get on any rounds where they do perform ok.

Viking
10th February 2009, 14:42
"I am still talking a lot with Subaru in Japan" Petter Solberg says to Norwegian newspaper, "for all I know I will one day be driving an Subaru again"

hmmm :)

koko0703
10th February 2009, 15:39
I don't think Subaru will enter any of circuit racing in near future as a works team, and the biggest likelihood of their return to a motorsport scene must be rallying. Then I think it's good maintain some tie to rallying with minimum investment.

ProRally
10th February 2009, 20:13
Also just heard that the Impreza Diesel cup in France is cancelled....
Due to the 'unfavorable' economic times

SanjayKumar
12th February 2009, 06:02
Since it's Group N they're competing in, I wonder if there's any way Travis Pastrana could possibly see some action.

Sulland
12th February 2009, 18:42
Pastrana in IRC would be a scoop, maybe IRC will beat WRC on getting a US round as well !

Shrike
13th February 2009, 01:25
IRC in the US would be a dream come true for us rally deprived Americans. But that most likely will never happen :(

gloomyDAY
13th February 2009, 02:06
IRC in the US would be a dream come true for us rally deprived Americans. But that most likely will never happen :( Stop being so pessimistic.

SanjayKumar
13th February 2009, 05:34
IRC in the US would be a dream come true for us rally deprived Americans. But that most likely will never happen :(

I'm not saying an American event right now, but say if Pastrana entered the IRC under Subaru USA for a few events and there was some popularity that came of it, then perhaps a rally is a few years down the road.

Donney
13th February 2009, 12:16
There's a New Subaru Rally Team announced in Spain to do the asphalt and the gravel championships.

Daniel
13th February 2009, 12:57
Also just heard that the Impreza Diesel cup in France is cancelled....
Due to the 'unfavorable' economic times

Impreza Diesel cup..... sounds like a ball of fun!

LP
13th February 2009, 15:07
maybe French members can give some links to any specifications or photos of the Impreza diesel cup car?