PDA

View Full Version : Petter Solberg WRT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Sulland
8th February 2009, 15:00
Lets look ahead and continue the discussion on Petters new Team here !

Petter asked some top brass Citroen person "what if I am faster than your factory drivers in this old car?"
answer was:……ehhhh… we don’t zink that is gonna heppen :)

Petters only question mark is the 06 engine on the Xsara, I guess there is also a question if Citroen has given him the best engine mapping available?

If not is this something his engineers can do something with ? I guess they had to get the software to play with the engine, otherwise they will have a challenge !
This is all software is it not, this thing you refer to as mapping, or is it also hardware inside the engine ?

Pictures:
http://www.glomdalen.no/bilder/article4111325.ece
http://www.glomdalen.no/article4108641.ece

Woodeye
8th February 2009, 16:11
I doubt that won't be too high in the results since the privateers haven't performed so well lately.

But I take my hat off for his attitude! :up:

Viking
8th February 2009, 16:36
If not is this something his engineers can do something with ? I guess they had to get the software to play with the engine, otherwise they will have a challenge !
This is all software is it not, this thing you refer to as mapping, or is it also hardware inside the engine ?

Petter said on radio today that he has full control on everything except the engine, Citroen has control over the engine.

I think I will let OldF (or someone else much better than me) explain about ecu mapping ;)

rallye-sport
8th February 2009, 17:47
A small movie (solberg test) : http://www.rallye-sport.fr/video-tests-psolberg-norvege/

Mirek
8th February 2009, 17:57
Can anyone translate?

JFL
8th February 2009, 18:06
look in the wrc testing tread

Kamikaze
8th February 2009, 18:43
Petter said on radio today that he has full control on everything except the engine, Citroen has control over the engine.

Not good for Petter :dozey:

Viridian Black
8th February 2009, 19:47
just glad 2 see petter still rallying. hope he can do wales rally gb this year as well!

Gard
8th February 2009, 20:02

I think I will let OldF (or someone else much better than me) explain about ecu mapping ;)

Citroen will only let them have a selection of mappings. The mappings is the software, but much testing and development is put into this. Sw controls everything, so if citroen doesn't give him the best they have. He will not stand a chance. So if top Citroen people say he will not beat c4, he probably will not.

But they need too turn of the boost to get him behind Sordo :D

eppel
8th February 2009, 21:12
http://www.tvnorge.no/Aktuelt/?clipid=2323

From TVNORGE (In Norwegian)!

tmx
8th February 2009, 21:30
It's interesting that he wants to compete all the remaining wrc rounds with the Xsara. I would like to see him concentrating on the future S2000 instead.

Koppomsbo
9th February 2009, 08:30
just glad 2 see petter still rallying. hope he can do wales rally gb this year as well!

Due to the talk i overheard yesterday he is going to full wrc from now on, just going to miss Greece. Beacause thats collide with 24 hour race

Sulland
9th February 2009, 08:35
Citroen will only let them have a selection of mappings. The mappings is the software, but much testing and development is put into this. Sw controls everything, so if citroen doesn't give him the best they have. He will not stand a chance. So if top Citroen people say he will not beat c4, he probably will not.

But they need too turn of the boost to get him behind Sordo :D

If that is the case, the next person Petter hires should be a computer programmer, familiar with the programming language Citroen has used for their mapping !

Then he can adjust the mapping schemes he got with the car, same as Citroen Sport is doing ! ;)

swordsman
9th February 2009, 08:56
If that is the case, the next person Petter hires should be a computer programmer, familiar with the programming language Citroen has used for their mapping !

Then he can adjust the mapping schemes he got with the car, same as Citroen Sport is doing ! ;)

Damn, maybe one should contact him then? :-P No clue what language they use, but I'm fast-adjusting... LOL

Brother John
9th February 2009, 08:57
It's interesting that he wants to compete all the remaining wrc rounds with the Xsara. I would like to see him concentrating on the future S2000 instead.

I agree, it would be be better to be busy with the future cars instead of with an old WRC car.
On the other side it is good that he is present in the WRC 2009.
I wish him especially a couple considerable results this year.

J.Lindstroem
9th February 2009, 08:59
I agree, it would be be better to be busy with the future cars instead of with an old WRC car.
On the other side it is good that he is present in the WRC 2009.
I wish him especially a couple considerable results this year.

I think he will start being busy with the Proton later in the season, isnt it just good for him to keep his skills up at e competitive level?

Brother John
9th February 2009, 09:03
Damn, maybe one should contact him then? :-P No clue what language they use, but I'm fast-adjusting... LOL

Il sera certainement dans français avec possible secret kodes. :D

Koppomsbo
9th February 2009, 09:19
Or else he can hire this guy ;) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-SVCjEcoBs&feature=related

Lalo
9th February 2009, 14:06
Nice to see Petter in the Xsara. It already feels good that he's back ;)

Good luck, man!!

koko0703
9th February 2009, 15:24
Hats off to Petter for putting together his own team in such a short time! I hope Petter will perform well and maybe have couple surprize. I think Petter has a real chance of getting a podium finish with this year's weak entry.

eppel
9th February 2009, 20:31
http://www.tvnorge.no/Aktuelt/?clipid=2323

From TVNORGE (In Norwegian)!

Nice attacking for Petter Solberg at the jumps! ;-)

Brother John
13th February 2009, 15:32
Petter want to have control concerning everything in his team?
He must buy rapidly another car. :s mokin: And certainly no French brand. :rolleyes:

Viking
16th February 2009, 09:40
Petter will most likely use the Xsara also next round, but he wants more help from Citroen, he says he have to be closer to the podium in Cyprus if he should remain as an “Citroen driver”.

Brother John
16th February 2009, 09:45
Petter will most likely use the Xsara also next round, but he wants more help from Citroen, he says he have to be closer to the podium in Cyprus if he should remain as an “Citroen driver”.

I can see the Xsara already disappearing to Rallycross after 2 rallys. ;)

ProRally
16th February 2009, 10:02
Same feeling here....
Could he even with C4 be closer to the podium, the 'young' generation is knocking on the door.... PG for 1

Sulland
16th February 2009, 10:06

I guess he want the car serviced and zeroized by Citroen Sport, and maybe have some OJT from his Engineers and Techs, to have a car that is as good as it can get.

He know that this will never be a C4, but he want it to last for a whole rally, and be in ship shape before the next rally !

Most of us would have wanted the same !!!

grugsticles
16th February 2009, 10:42
If Petter cant get a C4 from Citreon, whats stopping him getting a C4 engine going on the info I read on here that the C4 and the Xsara have different engines. One would assume the engines arnt actually that different and the basic geometry are the same.
Even if the difference is just in the tuning of the engine, wouldnt Citreon rather boast about their star driver (Loab) beating an opposition that isnt handy capped to begin with?

Sarac330d
16th February 2009, 10:50
Citroen can give very good car to Petter but they will never give him latest and best electronics and that is the point where all stories end. Without latest software for differential and engine Petter will never go even close to podium finish. Also in my opinion if he didn`t manage to be fast on his territory(snow) he can`t be faster on gravel or tarmac either!

urabus-denoS2000
16th February 2009, 10:53
If Petter cant get a C4 from Citreon, whats stopping him getting a C4 engine going on the info I read on here that the C4 and the Xsara have different engines. One would assume the engines arnt actually that different and the basic geometry are the same.
Even if the difference is just in the tuning of the engine, wouldnt Citreon rather boast about their star driver (Loab) beating an opposition that isnt handy capped to begin with?

There is a thing called "Homologation" that prevents privateers making an Xsara with a C4 engine,with a Focus 05 suspension and Focus 06 diffs,fABIA 05 gearbox,........

Viking
16th February 2009, 11:18
Citroen can give very good car to Petter but they will never give him latest and best electronics and that is the point where all stories end. Without latest software for differential and engine Petter will never go even close to podium finish. Also in my opinion if he didn`t manage to be fast on his territory(snow) he can`t be faster on gravel or tarmac either!

In fact Petter have always said he is better on gravel and tarmac than snow :)

Wim_Impreza
16th February 2009, 11:28
In fact Petter have always said he is better on gravel and tarmac than snow :)

Petter was in almost all the tarmac events in the past years slower than Atkinson and even Sarrazin with the same cars.

Glee
16th February 2009, 11:49
There is a thing called "Homologation" that prevents privateers making an Xsara with a C4 engine,with a Focus 05 suspension and Focus 06 diffs,fABIA 05 gearbox,........

Yes, if not he maybee could put a 307 engine in the Xsara...

Viking
16th February 2009, 11:50
@Wim

I think you have to check your statistics ;)

Sulland
16th February 2009, 12:13
I guess that Petter will start focus on 2010 sooner than planned if he can not get together a package that will give him equipment to fight for the podium, so his options are:

- Get the right parts, and electronic for the Xsara
- Buy another car (Ford)
- Quit the 09 WRC season, and concentrate on 2010, and maybe a few IRC/P WRC events for testing purposes.

But hopefully he can get the Xsara in top shape for Cyprus, to help Citroen fight off the Focus Armada !!

Brother John
16th February 2009, 12:24
- Buy another car (Ford)
- Quit the 09 WRC season, and concentrate on 2010, and maybe a few IRC/P WRC events for testing purposes.

But hopefully he can get the Xsara in top shape for Cyprus, to help Citroen fight off the Focus Armada !!

1- is a dream.
2- same rules from Ford team.
3- Best solution.

To help Citroën? Are you entirely crazy? ;)

Daniel
16th February 2009, 12:30

They are a totally different engine!!!!!

The XU series has its roots in the early 80's whereas the EW engines have their roots in the late 90's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_XU_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_EW/DW_engine

Then you'll have an engine which doesn't match up to the transmission and various other things and of course homologation which just means you can't swap an engine from a new model into an car which IIRC never had the EW engines fitted when on sale. You can lengthen (as PSA did with the XU7JP4) or shorten the stroke of the engine to get a 2l capacity but you can't go grabbing engines which were never fitted to the car. It just doesn't work like that.

Viking
16th February 2009, 12:56
I guess that Petter will start focus on 2010 sooner than planned if he can not get together a package that will give him equipment to fight for the podium, so his options are:

- Buy another car (Ford)

Petter is talking about plan a,b and c where

A- works team(M1), top spec car
B- PSWRT, Citroen, car served in France
C- PSWRT, Ford, car served in GB

He says only wrc is an option this year, but he is open to test other cars.

Sarac330d
16th February 2009, 16:52
I have information that back in 2008 Gronholm tested Petter-s S14 WRC, and he was 0.7-1 sec per km faster even without modifing set up for his needs! So if this is true than Gronholm with S14 can challenge Loeb`s pace with C4,
than it is only problem in Petter not in car. Is anybody have this info?
I received this info from one mechanic who was at Rally GB 2008, in Motoring team which are driving Subarus in Gr.N

pettersolberg29
16th February 2009, 17:16
I assume if the Xsara keeps failing, his testing with Proton will be brought forward, and he may even enter an event in the WRC/NRC? Is that likely?

Halvis
16th February 2009, 17:50
According to TV2 in Norway, Petter says in a SMS that he in yesterdays meeting with Citroen were promised that they will give him support before Rally Cyprus. They will service the whole car, and fix the engine so he will get rid of the engine problems from this weekend. he says "new" engine, but I presume it's meant a fully checked engine, and not a completely new engine?

For those who understand norwegian.

http://www.tv2sporten.no/ovrig/article2572559.ece

The article hints that if the Xsara doesn't prove more competetive in Cyprus, he might go for Ford the rest of the season.

Sulland
16th February 2009, 19:00
The article hints that if the Xsara doesn't prove more competetive in Cyprus, he might go for Ford the rest of the season.

The way I interpret it it says he even used that as an argument in yesterdays meeting.

Good news, lets see what happens in Cyprus !

N.O.T
16th February 2009, 20:04
I think he better stay home this year...the car will not change much. Maybe try his luck with an official team when seat is available. He can also consider IRC to get some experience with an s2000

swordsman
16th February 2009, 22:13
I think he better stay home this year...the car will not change much. Maybe try his luck with an official team when seat is available. He can also consider IRC to get some experience with an s2000

I think you're right there - the car wont change much. He will never get Citroen to upgrade the car to a level competitive with Sordo and Loeb.

Viking
16th February 2009, 22:35
You dont get it do you, this kid cant sit still :)

Also, this project is now a little bigger than just Petter, 10-15 people on his paylist.

swordsman
16th February 2009, 22:39

Also, this project is now a little bigger than just Petter, 10-15 people on his paylist.

Hehe, I get it - but I still doesn't believe in him getting a good Xsara. But get me right - I love Petter fighting in the WRC so I don't wish him out :)

Sulland
17th February 2009, 08:00
I think you're right there - the car wont change much. He will never get Citroen to upgrade the car to a level competitive with Sordo and Loeb.

No guess not, but if he can get a top shape Xsara, Qusenel might see the benefit of having Petter fighting for 3rd, and push the Ford duo down the list.

If they could say; even the last car we made is better than your current......

Gard
17th February 2009, 10:33
I have information that back in 2008 Gronholm tested Petter-s S14 WRC, and he was 0.7-1 sec per km faster even without modifing set up for his needs! So if this is true than Gronholm with S14 can challenge Loeb`s pace with C4,
than it is only problem in Petter not in car. Is anybody have this info?
I received this info from one mechanic who was at Rally GB 2008, in Motoring team which are driving Subarus in Gr.N

this info has been confirmed false. they where testing completely different things. and not even on identical tracks

Gard
17th February 2009, 10:35

as it says on his car. "THIS IS MY LIFE"

efe-e
17th February 2009, 14:37
Imao, Petter will replace Aava at Stobart.

pettersolberg29
17th February 2009, 14:49
^He should but he won't because the whole idea of the Xsara is that he is free to talk to other teams throughout the season, and to do the Le mans 24.

I hope he gives up on the Xsara and starts testing the Proton and doing all the WRC rounds in a Proton as an extened test.

Sulland
17th February 2009, 16:12
Lets see after Cyprus. But if he is not closer to the top there, I think he need to sit down and think a bit long term strategic on this !

Sulland
21st February 2009, 12:09
He is working to get a C4 for Portugal !

AlfaWRC
21st February 2009, 13:48
He is working to get a C4 for Portugal !

that would be good!

alleskids
21st February 2009, 13:49
Citroen was more or less counting on Atkinson to find the budget for more rallies, so in there is a C4 WRC available.

MJW
21st February 2009, 15:10
I guess if the car planned for Atkinson was available, PSWRT would manage it but it would be engineered by Citroen. Seems a fair compromise, Citroen get to keep their secrets and allowing PSWRT to have the independence of entertaining their own guests and using team personnel for non engine / transmission parts. Not wishing to detract from Sordo but the gap between the Ford drivers and Sordo is closing, its Loeb the Ford guys cant touch. Maybe a PSWRT C4 between Loeb and Hirvonen would suit Citroen afterall. And there is a new engine for the Focus from Portugal with more power...........game on?

grugsticles
21st February 2009, 16:06
I guess if the car planned for Atkinson was available, PSWRT would manage it but it would be engineered by Citroen. Seems a fair compromise, Citroen get to keep their secrets and allowing PSWRT to have the independence of entertaining their own guests and using team personnel for non engine / transmission parts. Not wishing to detract from Sordo but the gap between the Ford drivers and Sordo is closing, its Loeb the Ford guys cant touch. Maybe a PSWRT C4 between Loeb and Hirvonen would suit Citroen afterall. And there is a new engine for the Focus from Portugal with more power...........game on?
I wouldnt get too excited about Fords 'new' engine.
Yeah, on a Dyno the engine may put out more power and torque but you can only get so much air into the engine. Its more likely that peak power and torque has been moved around the rev range through adjustments in cams, intake and exhaust designs along with tuning to achieve more power in theory. Weather this translates into better acceleration and drivability on the road is another thing.

But having said that, Im all for closing the gap between the Focus and the C4.
If Ford do seem top have a noticeable increase in speed in Portugal and Petter cant find a C4 drive, then perhaps a Ford wouldnt be as second rate as seems to be the curent situation.

Sulland
21st February 2009, 16:07
Petter said it was a pretty big culture shock to go from many seasons in Subaru to a totally different car - and his own team in the same rally, but say the grip in the Xsara is so much better than even the latest S14 - and we saw that on Řstberg, it was understeering a lot on the snow !

Lets hope they both will be more happy after their next events !

bluuford
21st February 2009, 18:07
So, Novikov is for 8 events, so that makes 3 events when at least one of the C4´s is available. Probably they can arrange one more for 7 other events. But that, most likely reduces the reliability of the other C4-s (except Loeb). And you have to remember that Ogier is confirmed only for first 6 events as well.

Now when there is a new rule that you can register only one car for 8 events to classify as a M2 team, there is a possibility that Citroen is interested that there is a car that is able to take possible points away from Ford, then I can see clear connections here. And there is still rule that you have to use same model during the season, so, then Portugal for C4 makes good sense as well.

muscrae
21st February 2009, 19:15
Petter said the grip in the Xsara is so much better than even the latest S14 - and we saw that on Řstberg, it was understeering a lot on the snow !

Great to hear another comment on the superiority of Xsara, but pity to know it's a lot back in terms of technology...

Psycho!
21st February 2009, 20:01
And there is a new engine for the Focus from Portugal with more power...........game on?
Reliable source??

MJW
21st February 2009, 20:04
MOTORSPORT NEWS UK published weekly motorsport newspaper

Psycho!
21st February 2009, 20:19
MOTORSPORT NEWS UK published weekly motorsport newspaper
OK!Thanks a lot!! ;)

OldF
24th February 2009, 21:20

Hmm, maybe you now more about mapping than I do but I try although I’m not an expert and don’t have any practical experience of ECUs but I do know how computers works.

Basically an ECU is a microcomputer consisting of a CPU or a micro controller, memory, I/O (input / output) chips and on the input side A/D (analogy/digital) converters. Here is a pic of an ECUs inputs and outputs for the amount of fuel.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/OkdF/ECU.jpg
When the software of the ECU interprets the values of the inputs, the software of the ECU converts the input signals to a memory address. Then it reads the value from that memory address and put it out as a pulse width to the fuel injectors. The ignition is adjusted earlier or later in the same manner.

An ECU can have several different maps and I think you have seen in some coverage when the drivers said that the engine turned on the safety mode for some reason. So a WRC car has at least two different maps, one for stages and one for safety mode or road sections. In fact I once read an article in which the writer said that there is a basic map and the tuning map consists of multipliers of that map (the basic maps values are multiplied with multipliers >1 or <1). Changing the values in the memory is mapping and to do that you have to have software in a PC that is connected to the ECU and I think the WRC teams wont give that software to anyone. Basically it’s possible to replace the original ECU with an aftermarket ECU like Motec, and start the mapping from scratch, but I don’t if it’s it prevented somehow.

Fuel map:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/OkdF/fuelmap.jpg

Ignition map:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/OkdF/ignmap.jpg

Every square in the horizontal plane is one memory location / address. ;)

Sulland
24th February 2009, 21:55
Old F, I am impressed !

Very easy to understand explanation !

OldF
24th February 2009, 21:59
Old F, I am impressed !

Very easy to understand explanation !

Thanks Sulland

Gard
25th February 2009, 08:20
and this is for a NA engine. Turbo engines will have additional inputs for boost pressure, air temps on different places.

Output for regulating boost pressure and probably air/oxygen injection in fuel system or some other tricks

JFL
25th February 2009, 13:44
and this is for a NA engine. Turbo engines will have additional inputs for boost pressure, air temps on different places.

Output for regulating boost pressure and probably air/oxygen injection in fuel system or some other tricks
and antilag

OldF
25th February 2009, 19:58

The pic was only for the fuel injectors. Have a look here on page 7.

http://www.ralliart.co.jp/GRN/homologation/data/A5718-01_LancerEvo10.pdf

It cannot be compared directly with a WRC cars input / outputs but gives a view that there are lot more I/O compared to my pic.

big_sw2000
26th February 2009, 07:05
Looks like Peter has got is C4
http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X123&test=off&url=http%3A//www.rallybuzz.com/petter-solberg-c4-portugal/

Psycho!
26th February 2009, 14:50
Looks like Peter has got is C4
http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X123&test=off&url=http%3A//www.rallybuzz.com/petter-solberg-c4-portugal/
In a question of wrc.com he refused that....

Skelly
27th February 2009, 07:12
It doesn't matter what spec Petter is given...he can drive the legs off the car when he is able....BUT...he will not be allowed to get close to the factory cars. Ahead of the Fords, Yes, but not the Loeb & Sordo.

Remember McRae & Saintz with Subaru. Team orders will come into play if he is receiving any technical help from Citroen. It would have been agreed at the start. "Get close to the factory cars & back off, or no support"

Simples!!!

Psycho!
27th February 2009, 07:28
It doesn't matter what spec Petter is given...he can drive the legs off the car when he is able....BUT...he will not be allowed to get close to the factory cars. Ahead of the Fords, Yes, but not the Loeb & Sordo.

Remember McRae & Saintz with Subaru. Team orders will come into play if he is receiving any technical help from Citroen. It would have been agreed at the start. "Get close to the factory cars & back off, or no support"

Simples!!!
But usually Sordo is behind Ford guys...So to pass them,he has to pass Sordo first!!!And another point:He doesn't take manufacturer points!So,even if he ends up higher than Sordo,then it's the Spaniard's problem,not Citroen's!! ;)

Sturla
27th February 2009, 08:43
If Petter would have been somewhere near Loeb, he would give 110% to defeat him... Petter would never back up.

But sadly Loeb is in a class of his own, so I don`t see that coming...
If given a better car to Cyprus, I do think Petter will beat Sordo..

Psycho!
27th February 2009, 09:01
If Petter would have been somewhere near Loeb, he would give 110% to defeat him... Petter would never back up.

But sadly Loeb is in a class of his own, so I don`t see that coming...
If given a better car to Cyprus, I do think Petter will beat Sordo..
Everything depend on the stage conditions....With the typical dry and rough gravel Petter can reach the podium...Tactics will come FOR SURE into play!

Fide
9th March 2009, 17:16
hope Petter will improve performance compared Norway rally.

This appeared this morning in his website :

"Citroen has given me a new engine and together with new dampers from Reiger, and more time for preparations, I really think it will be possible to fight in Cyprus. We have been analyzing and preparing in the weeks after Rally Norway and I am confident that we are much more prepared this time."

Sulland
15th March 2009, 12:37
At last Petter has found a dance-partner he finds the rhythm with, and goes where he leads. (X)Sara is the name of her !
It is so cool to se the real Mr Hollywood disco king back in the circus !!

Both he and we deserve to have him back where he belongs !

The one that took over his ex sub, said that the S14 only will work on a totally flat surface, made of wood - the parquet ! But that surface is rarely used in WRC.

Good thing he ditched her, and hooked up with Sara !! ;)

N.O.T
15th March 2009, 13:34
i wouldn;t judge peter from a good drive in cyprus....the event is very rough to draw cocnlusions....even panizzi was quick there.

Finni
15th March 2009, 13:54
i wouldn;t judge peter from a good drive in cyprus....the event is very rough to draw cocnlusions....even panizzi was quick there.

If you watch results from last five years top drivers have outpaced others by the biggest margin. For instance Cyprus and Greece were rallies where Grönholm was most superior to Hirvonen (also Latvala in Greece 2007). I would rather say Cyprus is one of the rallies that distinguishes men from the boys.

Altough admittedly it could be said that Cyprus was one of the most suitable rallies for the Xsara.

Haddock
15th March 2009, 15:11
At last Petter has found a dance-partner he finds the rhythm with, and goes where he leads. (X)Sara is the name of her !
It is so cool to se the real Mr Hollywood disco king back in the circus !!

Both he and we deserve to have him back where he belongs !

The one that took over his ex sub, said that the S14 only will work on a totally flat surface, made of wood - the parquet ! But that surface is rarely used in WRC.

Good thing he ditched her, and hooked up with Sara !! ;)

Sad indictment of how bad the recent Subarus have been - Solberg is closer to the pace in a self-prepared 4 year old Citroen than he was in a works Subaru last year. Makes you wonder what Atkinson might be capable of on gravel. If Ford want to put up a fight against Loeb this year, they'd be well advised to get Solberg alongside Hirvonen.

RAS007
15th March 2009, 16:58
Awesome result for Petter. He is about the only interesting thing in the WRC right now.

Psycho!
15th March 2009, 17:21
He will have mechanical diffs in Portugal or no??

swordsman
15th March 2009, 17:26

Agreed. I think Petter has the potential, but the Xsara wont be much of use during the fast rallies this season. It will get more difficult already in Portugal, and in rallies like Finland he wont stand a chance...

To stick with the Xsara for Cyprus was smart, but now it's time to switch. If he doesn't get a C4, I would go for a Focus.

jonas_mcrae
15th March 2009, 18:35
Agreed. I think Petter has the potential, but the Xsara wont be much of use during the fast rallies this season. It will get more difficult already in Portugal, and in rallies like Finland he wont stand a chance...

To stick with the Xsara for Cyprus was smart, but now it's time to switch. If he doesn't get a C4, I would go for a Focus.

naaa get a whale for Finland, that would be awesome!

Halvis
16th March 2009, 00:35
Congratulations to Petter, Phil and the whole PSWRT - what an achievement this has been! Not only the great result for this rally, but the whole process of making this team in such a short time, with limited recources.

Great driving from Petter, seeing in the TV footage that he didn't have a trouble free rally either, he actually had several problems, and still being pretty close to Hirvo is very, very impressive. Makes you wonder what he could do in a up-to-date car!

Donney
16th March 2009, 12:01
I think he made a great rally in Cyprus. Congratulations!!!

Mirek
16th March 2009, 12:18
I think Petter has the potential, but the Xsara wont be much of use during the fast rallies this season.

I'm not sure. For example Fabia WRC had weak engine compared to other WRCs and it was capable of something on fast rallys only. I think that engine is much more limitating on technical stages where there You need more acceleration from slow corners (I took Fabia as an example because I know it's engine performance).

GruppoB
16th March 2009, 23:45
Awesome result for Petter. He is about the only interesting thing in the WRC right now.

Absolutely Im glad hes out of Subaru.

Shrike
17th March 2009, 02:31
Congrats for sure! Very exciting especially for a private team to do so well so soon after its creation.

JFL
20th March 2009, 16:01
Total Rally with Colin Clark made a pretty long interview with Petter after RN. Petter talks about everything from Hollywood to s2000. Worth a listen.: :)
http://www.pettersolberg.com/flash/podcast_external/index.php

GigiGalliNo1
21st March 2009, 12:50
]I'm not sure. For example Fabia WRC had weak engine compared to other WRCs and it was capable of something on fast rallys only. I think that engine is much more limitating on technical stages where there You need more acceleration from slow corners (I took Fabia as an example because I know it's engine performance).

What about Colin McRae in Australia a few years back?

Karbonyl
21st March 2009, 13:22
Colin was lunatic :D

GigiGalliNo1
21st March 2009, 13:32
But still, he was in a Skoda Fabia WRC, and never saw performance like that from that car either!

Sulland
21st March 2009, 14:08
Not bad from PG in this years Norway either. The car has potential, and has good handling, but maybe need to go to an engine wizard to get the last grunt !

dukof
26th March 2009, 23:13
Petter says it looks like he will get the mechanical diffs for Argentina. Reported in norwegian newspaper VG (http://www.vg.no/sport/motor/artikkel.php?artid=551935).

Really looking forward to see how far he can push this car..

grugsticles
27th March 2009, 06:28
Petter says it looks like he will get the mechanical diffs for Argentina. Reported in norwegian newspaper VG (http://www.vg.no/sport/motor/artikkel.php?artid=551935).

Really looking forward to see how far he can push this car..

That brings up an interesting question.
If Petters Xaara esentially hjas the same engine/suspention/drivetrain as Loabs C4 leaving the only real differance between the 2 cars being the chassis, then I wonder if there is a really noticable differance between the 2?

I mean, both chassis are seam welded to make them very stiff, so apart from suspension geometry Im wondering if at the end of a rally there is any differance between the 2.

Obviously one would assume that the C4 would be better then the Xaara, but that is only an assumption - is it in fact true?

Thoughts?

Gard
27th March 2009, 07:08
That brings up an interesting question.
If Petters Xaara esentially hjas the same engine/suspention/drivetrain as Loabs C4 leaving the only real differance between the 2 cars being the chassis, then I wonder if there is a really noticable differance between the 2?

I mean, both chassis are seam welded to make them very stiff, so apart from suspension geometry Im wondering if at the end of a rally there is any differance between the 2.

Obviously one would assume that the C4 would be better then the Xaara, but that is only an assumption - is it in fact true?

Thoughts?

The engine will not have the same configuration. App. 25 bhp difference

Sulland
27th March 2009, 12:51

From this thread we read that the two cars have different engines:
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131385&page=2

Just remember the Xsara uses an old XU engine and the C4 uses a newer EW engine so there is bound to be a difference.

I guess the EW engine has different specs, and is better, not that I know in what !

Finni
27th March 2009, 14:33

If there really is such difference then Petter's car is downgraded heavely. Source???

Xsara had the best engine when it retired and there has not been room to do 25 hp's anymore for years.

MJW
27th March 2009, 16:36
If there really is such difference then Petter's car is downgraded heavely. Source???

Xsara had the best engine when it retired and there has not been room to do 25 hp's anymore for years.
Software and mapping is where this 25 hp can only be gained / lost. Also teh C4 engine is the 'new' engine, wheras the Xsara is the old XU derived motor

Gard
27th March 2009, 19:05

What the xsara had when it retired, has no relevance. Citroen decides the mapping and what Petter get.

OldF
27th March 2009, 19:59
I believe that none of the manu teams sell/rent or in another way give a car with same mapping as the ones used by the team itself. Marcus said last year, when he was a guest in the studio during the live broadcast from the last stage at NORF and the commentator asked him if he sees any difference between Hennings and the car he droved, that the suspension is the same but the engine isn’t as powerful as the manus teams cars.

Finni
28th March 2009, 14:07
that the suspension is the same but the engine isn’t as powerful as the manus teams cars.

And that's because Stobart car is one year older and the engine developement is applicable only to current homologation. I don't think they intentionally downgrade the engine.

Psycho!
15th April 2009, 15:28
I read in a Greek rallying site that Petter will have mechanical diffs in Argentina alongside with a new engine!!Tell me that is truth!! :)

pettersolberg29
15th April 2009, 17:17
It could be true - he certainly says there has been 'a lot of development'.

N.O.T
15th April 2009, 18:09
even if he gets all these stuff there is no way he can improve his performance that much to challenge the top 4, so it really doesn;t matter.

pettersolberg29
15th April 2009, 18:35
Really? Last 2 rallies = 3rd place and 4th place.

pettersolberg29
15th April 2009, 18:35
And his 3rd place was very impressive as he beat Sordo fair and square.

Donney
15th April 2009, 18:55
He is so far doing a great job with what he has in his hands, I really hope he gets better material.

Psycho!
15th April 2009, 18:58
In suitable conditions for the car he was fastest...!!So Sardinia and Acropolis can be a welcome environment for the old Xsara!

playmo
16th April 2009, 16:21
I wouldn't bet on him being higher than 5th, if i remember well, electronic diffs made the citroens go faster (just a little, though) so he will have to learn by that weekend to get as fast on mechs as on electronics.

serial jeff
16th April 2009, 16:33
Petter and Seb both think the mechanical differentials are faster, he's been trying to get them for weeks. I'm thinking he'll get another 4th, but 3rd or 5th are also very likely. It depends on whether his car is fast enough to let him beat Dani, and whether JML drives off the road again.

serial jeff
20th April 2009, 21:18
"Petter eyes third in this year's championship"

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=4568&desc=Petter%20eyes%20third%20in%20this%20year%E2%8 0%99s%20championship

That seems rather optimistic... He's certainly a better driver than Dani, but he's 9 points behind. That's a considerable deficit to make up, especially when he has such a disadvantage in power.

He'd better hope for a wet, wet season :p

Bazza2541
21st April 2009, 00:17
"Petter eyes third in this year's championship"

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=4568&desc=Petter%20eyes%20third%20in%20this%20year%E2%8 0%99s%20championship

That seems rather optimistic... He's certainly a better driver than Dani, but he's 9 points behind. That's a considerable deficit to make up, especially when he has such a disadvantage in power.

He'd better hope for a wet, wet season :p

He better hope for a miracle!!
.............several miracles!!!

Donney
21st April 2009, 07:57
It looks like a miracle but it agrees with the "Never give up" motto.

pettersolberg29
22nd April 2009, 20:50
Apparently it looks like rain on Friday - could his miracle happen?

grugsticles
23rd April 2009, 05:07
Apparently it looks like rain on Friday - could his miracle happen?
And you trust a weatherman?

I may rain, but if it does so it will rain like there is no tomorrow rendering the early runners the better road conditions (just our luck).

In any case Im hoping that this second new engine (is that right?) and the new diffs will close the gap that little bit more.
Fingers crossed for 2nd place :)

Sulland
7th May 2009, 16:47
So what is the differences btw the 2001/3 and 06 model Xsara. Will it mean much to Petter to get a 06 version ?

MJW
7th May 2009, 17:44
So what is the differences btw the 2001/3 and 06 model Xsara. Will it mean much to Petter to get a 06 version ?
Bigger intercooler, more efficient engine radiator, and improved cooling to the engine bay, also mechanical diffs. All added together it should make a difference, especially as we head for 'hot Med events' - not so obvious in the cooler rallies, as the colder / denser the air the more power can be extrated from the fuel/air mixture. Mechanical diffs, I dont know so much about but apparently they were better than active in the Xsara's, quite the opposite in the Subaru I think (SWRT/Prodrive) had good active diffs that masked a lot of the faults in S11, as S12& 12B had mech diffs the true horror of those cars became more apparent.

Halvis
8th May 2009, 10:08
It says on his webpage that it will be the same car, just updated to the latest specs as described above.

The first news about a completely new car was not correct then.

Still, very exciting news, it will be very interesting to see if the speed of the "new" car is significantly changed!

JFL
8th May 2009, 12:15
So.. Does the people think that he will get absolutly the best specs available from Citroen? Latest ECU etc.? I hope so, but I have my doubts.. It will be better for sure..

Donney
8th May 2009, 14:39
I don't know but so far he is the most exciting rally driver of the season.

OldF
8th May 2009, 18:58
Latest ECU etc.?

For a privateer to get the best ECU, never.

Fide
8th May 2009, 19:12
I don't know but so far he is the most exciting rally driver of the season.

More than that..... I he would have had a better tool after 2003 we would have had a lot of fun with Marcus, Petter and Loeb. Sadly he decided for a ton of money instead a better car. Hopefully the rest of this year we will continue enjoying this "Lone Ranger" with the hope to see him in a powerfull manufact team on 2010 otherwise "Sebastian Boredom Loeb" will continue boring all of wrc fans with his good driving skills but absolutly NONE charism.

jonas_mcrae
21st May 2009, 21:00
so they got the upgrades for the Xsara didnt they?
could this be enough to challenge for the podium? of course w/o many crashes...

serial jeff
21st May 2009, 22:59
Hopefully. After all, he got the podium in Cyprus by beating Dani Sordo fair n square, and that was with the old car... granted, Cyprus was slower and muddier so Dani's faster car wouldn't have helped him as much as it does in other rallies.

We'll see!

Finni
22nd May 2009, 11:34
So far in Sardinia I don't see any improvement in Petter's pace. I wonder how he lost his Cyprus pace. In Cyprus Petter was second fastest driver in the rally (Loeb was the fastest if road-position is considered). But after Cyprus Petter has not been even near to Hirvonen and Sordo. Is there so big difference between Cyprus and other events that makes the difference or has Citroen downgraded the vehicle after that?

Finni
22nd May 2009, 11:35
granted, Cyprus was slower and muddier so Dani's faster car wouldn't have helped him as much as it does in other rallies.

Muddiness was not the deciding factor. Petter's best pace in Cyprus happened in dry roads.

Alpha
25th May 2009, 08:44
A norwegian radiochannel (P4) reported today that Ford had been all over Petter this sunday. They didn't go into specifics but gave the impression that they wanted to see Petter in a Focus soon. Anyone else heard anything about that?

swordsman
25th May 2009, 09:18
A norwegian radiochannel (P4) reported today that Ford had been all over Petter this sunday. They didn't go into specifics but gave the impression that they wanted to see Petter in a Focus soon. Anyone else heard anything about that?

I think that makes sense. Ford as well as all others know that Citroen has a delicate dilemma - that Petter with an updated Xsara can steal points from their works drivers (look at what happened this weekend). On the other side, if Petter doesn't get updates to his car, a good engine mapping, etc. - he wont stay with them. I'm sure the Citroen management thinks one times and two times on how to handle Petter in the future, and I'm sure that if Ford gets close in the manu championship, Petter will have to step back. He knows that himself, and I guess Ford has a little more liberate view on those things if he drive with them. They're underdogs and I get a feeling they can use Petter a little bit more, strategically. So... I think Petter is close to a move, because he doesn't want the uncertainty of being in the Xsara. Wrote a longer post on this on my blog yesterday (hi haters!), URL in my signature :)

bluuford
25th May 2009, 09:30
yes, If they use Solberg in Stobbart and it is able to beat Sordo, then Ford manufacturer hopes are not that bad.
If Latvala can beat Loeb and Hirvonen +Solberg can beat Sordo, then that means 24 points in 6 rallies. And if Aava manages to secure money for some events (like Finland) then they can use him as a Munchis second car and in a good day he is able to be better than Sordo (Finland for example). Nothing is impossible :-)

JAM
25th May 2009, 09:49
Loeb is the first driver at Citroen, Sordo is the second. If they will give a C4 to Solberg and nominate them to manufacturers points, then Citroen has no problem at all.

Easy, don't you think?

Donney
25th May 2009, 10:37
Easy but very expensive and I don't know if they want to spend all that money.

Halvis
25th May 2009, 11:47
Easy but very expensive and I don't know if they want to spend all that money.

I think Petter is willing to pay to drive this year (which he already does!), provided he gets the best equipment. For Citroen it must be the best solution to "give" Petter a C4, and nominate him for point on the remaining gravel rallies. On tarmac Sordo is the best choice, of course.

Ucci
25th May 2009, 12:35
I think Petter is willing to pay to drive this year (which he already does!), provided he gets the best equipment. For Citroen it must be the best solution to "give" Petter a C4, and nominate him for point on the remaining gravel rallies. On tarmac Sordo is the best choice, of course.

Nothing of this is going to happen, the season is halfway through, Peter already mentioned that he will stay on his own for this year. Citroën will not ''give'' a car to nowebody, even P.Solberg. Bring money, a lot of money and than it might happen.
For me it is still a question if Peter drives all the time 100 % or is he saving the material and not taking too many risks?? If he is not all the time flat-out, if he has still some ''air'', he can mess beetwen Sordo&Mikko&J.M.L, specialy in Greece, where the pure speed of the car is not so important !

Psycho!
25th May 2009, 12:37
Petter this way will be a great threat for Seb who is no1 and with Fords pushing from behind,Citroen will not be so comfortable in swapping places...

Halvis
25th May 2009, 14:40
Nothing of this is going to happen, the season is halfway through, Peter already mentioned that he will stay on his own for this year. Citroën will not ''give'' a car to nowebody, even P.Solberg. Bring money, a lot of money and than it might happen.
For me it is still a question if Peter drives all the time 100 % or is he saving the material and not taking too many risks?? If he is not all the time flat-out, if he has still some ''air'', he can mess beetwen Sordo&Mikko&J.M.L, specialy in Greece, where the pure speed of the car is not so important !

I specific said "give" in "" because I also know that they never will give the car for free, that's why I said he could be willing to pay to drive - provided he got the best possible Citroen, meaning a top spec C4.

Sulland
25th May 2009, 15:04
Petter said to Citroen that if he did not get the 06 spec for his Xsara, he would swap to Ford, and had already talked to them + then he got what he wanted.

Petter in a Munchis is a possibility of course, but I think he is happy right now, but who knows !

Fide
25th May 2009, 15:16
All in all it is great to see Petter under the magnifier of the manus... It implies he still is good enough to battle with Sebastien. If you take into account he could have been 3rd in Argentina he got more points been a privatier (with an ancient Xsara) than he got with Subaru last years. Certainly he is giving to this chapionship the quota of fun otherwise .... Really boring to talk about 5th or 6th win in a row for Loeb.

Xsara Fan
25th May 2009, 17:59
Petter said to Citroen that if he did not get the 06 spec for his Xsara, he would swap to Ford, and had already talked to them + then he got what he wanted.

I don`t understand why Citroen gave Petter what he want. Solberg try to blackmail Citroen and they gave him Xsara`06 parts. But it would be right only if Petter would be a 'third Citroen driver' and if he helps Loeb to get maximum points. But that`s not happened. Then if Petter is only a 'MSN PS WRT' driver Citroen mustn`t help him.

swordsman
25th May 2009, 22:39
I don`t understand why Citroen gave Petter what he want. Solberg try to blackmail Citroen and they gave him Xsara`06 parts. But it would be right only if Petter would be a 'third Citroen driver' and if he helps Loeb to get maximum points. But that`s not happened. Then if Petter is only a 'MSN PS WRT' driver Citroen mustn`t help him.

Well, I guess it's as simple as the fact that Citroen knows that if Petter doesn't steal their points with a Citroen - he'll do it with another car marque :) So, I guess they let him go with it as long as Citroens manu title and Loebs drivers title aren't in clear and present danger. Today they aren't, the interesting thing would be if the championships get closer later in the season! Then, I think Petter will have harder times from Citroen, but maybe even from Ford... :)

serial jeff
27th May 2009, 01:54

Yeah it's really not blackmail... he just said that if they continue refusing to get him the parts to make his car competitive, he'd switch to someone else. After all, it must have been awful in Argentina to be cruising to an easy podium place, so close to the finish, when the car breaks because it can't take the heat.

I think he's shown again that he can compete with Seb and Mikko. I noticed that his times in the mornings when were very good; he lost most of the time in the afternoon when it got hotter.

IMO Citroen should sell him a C4, but I know they won't. Anyway, considering how many cars Conrad Rautenbach wrecks, they may not have many to spare :p

Xsara Fan
27th May 2009, 07:28
Yeah it's really not blackmail... he just said that if they continue refusing to get him the parts to make his car competitive, he'd switch to someone else. After all, it must have been awful in Argentina to be cruising to an easy podium place, so close to the finish, when the car breaks because it can't take the heat.

Hmmm... and it seems Hirvonen has 'old Focus' in Argentina 2009 cause his "car breaks because it can't take the heat"? ;)

Gard
27th May 2009, 12:04
Petter has an offer to "rent" a C4, but the price is rediculous and he will be left with a car Citroen does what they want with.

Fide
27th May 2009, 18:50
Petter has an offer to "rent" a C4, but the price is rediculous and he will be left with a car Citroen does what they want with.

Where did you see the info you mention ?

Lalo
27th May 2009, 21:59

As far as we all know, he was keen on getting a 307. A C4 was never considered by Petter WRT.

Tom206wrc
28th May 2009, 08:37
Petter and Phil in a whale at Acropolis ???? :bounce:

pettersolberg29
28th May 2009, 12:09
It certainly would be interesting to see Petter throw a whale around Greece.

There is a sentence I never thought I'd say...

alleskids
28th May 2009, 17:03
Petter will skip Acropolis due to competing in Le Mans the same weekend in the Oreca LMP1? Or has he skipped his sportscars plans?

Gard
28th May 2009, 17:11
Where did you see the info you mention ?

Come on guys, this is old news. They have also tried to buy one, but Citroen will not have any private C4's out (yet). With the price and limitations of a rented C4, that's not an option for PSWRT

pettersolberg29
28th May 2009, 18:38
I don't think Petter will do the Le Mans 24 anymore - his plans are full with rallying thankfully.

alleskids
28th May 2009, 19:33
ok thanks

Micke_VOC
28th May 2009, 23:16
I don't think Petter will do the Le Mans 24 anymore - his plans are full with rallying thankfully.

he is not on the entry list to lemans so....better with rally =)

ST205GT4
29th May 2009, 07:36
I think Petter is a great driver and a great personality. I've been a big fan of his (and Loeb and Gronholm for that matter).

However I think he's flogging a dead horse. He's never going to replace any of the current crop of drivers at either of the manufacturers.

He'll also never get the equivalent of a full factory car or support (unless he scores one with a new manufacturer who joins with S2000).

Unfortunately I think he's pretty much finished as a serious contender in the WRC.

lcd
29th May 2009, 08:11
Has anyone heard more rumors about Petter thinking of changing xsara to peugeot 307,
for Acropolis rally?

Translated from :
http://www.rally.gr/default.asp?menu_code=wrc-news-article&article_id=16468&race_id=0

What could be done is to have a faster car. And given the fact that following a battle with even higher temperatures, such as the Acropolis, the Norwegian admitted that considering the prospect of changing the car, the Peugeot 307 to look like the most likely replacement scenario. «I feel that I am in the corner. Plus, we have fought in several games and we know exactly who we are than the competition. This topic will discuss with Phil and see what we do for the next race. Temperatures will be relevant should consider very seriously what we do. I do not want to waste my time. Surely the fun too, but now we have to sit at a table and analyze the data. I know that with high temperatures, I can not push and go faster »

Tom206wrc
29th May 2009, 08:34
Well, the whale leaving in very cold temperature water...it clearly resist to high temperatures of Greece :p :

Leon
29th May 2009, 08:45
Has anyone heard more rumors about Petter thinking of changing xsara to peugeot 307,
for Acropolis rally?

Translated from :
http://www.rally.gr/default.asp?menu_code=wrc-news-article&article_id=16468&race_id=0

What could be done is to have a faster car. And given the fact that following a battle with even higher temperatures, such as the Acropolis, the Norwegian admitted that considering the prospect of changing the car, the Peugeot 307 to look like the most likely replacement scenario. «I feel that I am in the corner. Plus, we have fought in several games and we know exactly who we are than the competition. This topic will discuss with Phil and see what we do for the next race. Temperatures will be relevant should consider very seriously what we do. I do not want to waste my time. Surely the fun too, but now we have to sit at a table and analyze the data. I know that with high temperatures, I can not push and go faster »

answers/thoughts by petter himself

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=231&featureid=1543&desc=WRC%20Pirelli%20driver%20blog%20-%20Petter%20Solberg

pettersolberg29
29th May 2009, 11:38
I think Petter is a great driver and a great personality. I've been a big fan of his (and Loeb and Gronholm for that matter).

However I think he's flogging a dead horse. He's never going to replace any of the current crop of drivers at either of the manufacturers.

He'll also never get the equivalent of a full factory car or support (unless he scores one with a new manufacturer who joins with S2000).

Unfortunately I think he's pretty much finished as a serious contender in the WRC.

I know you're just trying to be argumentative, but I think its an argument worth having. You can't just state things like 'he's pretty much finished' without at least an ounce of evidence to support it.

In my opinion, he is far from finished. Winning stages and getting podiums in a 3 year old Xsara is highly impressive. In Cyprus he beat Dani Sordo fair and square.

As for 2010, he's already had meetings with Proton and Fiat, and is even planning an event with the Fiat this year if he can fit it in his schedule. If Petter can win stages and get podiums in the Xsara, think what he could still do with the full support of Fiat or any other manufacturer.

lcd
29th May 2009, 16:12
I wouldn't like to be a part of this arguement, but I've been expecting much more from Peter...I don't know If It's his fault, or team, or the car, or whatever...I just expect more from him;so his performance to be as high as his reputation! Needless to say, I'm one of his devoted fans...

pettersolberg29
29th May 2009, 16:31
I wouldn't like to be a part of this arguement, but I've been expecting much more from Peter...I don't know If It's his fault, or team, or the car, or whatever...I just expect more from him;so his performance to be as high as his reputation! Needless to say, I'm one of his devoted fans...

Expecting much more from Petter? You mean this year or 2004-2008 period?

DonJippo
29th May 2009, 17:10
As for 2010, he's already had meetings with Proton and Fiat, and is even planning an event with the Fiat this year if he can fit it in his schedule.

If that is the criteria then Fiat's man next year is not Petter but Kimi ;)

Cloverleaf
30th May 2009, 20:02
When did FX leave the team?

http://www.pettersolberg.com/html/team/
Here says Francois Xavier DEMAISON is the chief engineer of PSWRT.

And this video of WRC.com
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=300&featureid=1186&desc=Features:%20Differentials
Citroen Junior Team Engineer Francois Xavier Demaison (FX) explains the function of differentials

pettersolberg29
30th May 2009, 20:17
No idea?

I don't think FX has left the team as he was with PSWRT for Rally Italy. Maybe he combines both roles.

SubaruNorway
31st May 2009, 00:55
Yeah he works for both

tmx
31st May 2009, 05:36
If that is the criteria then Fiat's man next year is not Petter but Kimi ;)
Not anymore after breaking a suspension on third stage.

Rallyper
31st May 2009, 09:14
Not anymore after breaking a suspension on third stage.

Where did you find that info about Kimi. I saw on the site of he rally that he had retired but not why. Any pics somewhere? :confused:

c4
31st May 2009, 09:31
Where did you find that info about Kimi. I saw on the site of he rally that he had retired but not why. Any pics somewhere? :confused:

Video clips of Kimi's demise

http://www.rallybuzz.com/raikkonen-rally-crash/

Tom206wrc
2nd June 2009, 22:29
What's Petter decision for the car he will use at Acropolis :confused:

pettersolberg29
2nd June 2009, 22:31
Nothing heard yet - so assume the Xsara remains.

Finni
3rd June 2009, 10:22
If I was in Petter's position I would try Pug or Focus.

JFL
3rd June 2009, 22:51
Quote from http://www.bilnorge.no/artikkel.php?aid=34072

"To all of you Petter Solberg-fanatics out there: you can enjoy yourself now. Does he seem competitive now? Just wait until we can tell whether a new, exciting agreement will soon be on the table. It should be able to get him back where he truly belongs, among those with a permanent seat on the podiums.

In about one or two weeks' time, it all should be in place."

Wonder what this means.. Time will show.. ;)

grugsticles
4th June 2009, 05:52
Oh pleeeaaaaaaaaaase let it be a factory drive! Or even access to a full spec car.
From what ive read hear and there is sounds as though he has used most of his season budget getting the Xxara up to spec, so he probably cant afford to buy a C4/Focus.

Go Petter, go you good thing!

Donney
4th June 2009, 08:04
Stobart would be awesome.....

tmx
4th June 2009, 08:10
Awesome fighting for the same place Henning has been getting and the guys from Munchi.

Sulland
4th June 2009, 14:41
Shell Oil is coming into PS WRT as a big sponsor, and saves the rest of the season !! Nothing on new car, but improvements on the old one for the heat issue from Citroen Sport is being done ! Lets see if he can get a new car as well....

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=no&ie=UTF-8&sl=no&tl=en&u=http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/06/04/sport/rally/petter_solberg/motorsport/6561976/

Fide
4th June 2009, 15:08
Great, really great .... Inside the car and as a business man making agreements.

muscrae
4th June 2009, 17:43
Suberb news !!!!

Allyc85
4th June 2009, 18:42
So happy to hear that!!

tolis
4th June 2009, 18:47
Last year he came in Greece with a new car, this year he will come with a new sponsor!!!

pettersolberg29
4th June 2009, 19:18
http://www.pettersolberg.com/html/?lang_pref=en

Petter drives a Mitsubishi with his normal sponsorship - a new car perhaps?!

Mirek
4th June 2009, 19:21
An Evo VI for Acropolis? :D

MJW
4th June 2009, 20:04
Shell Oil is coming into PS WRT as a big sponsor, and saves the rest of the season !! Nothing on new car, but improvements on the old one for the heat issue from Citroen Sport is being done ! Lets see if he can get a new car as well....

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=no&ie=UTF-8&sl=no&tl=en&u=http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/06/04/sport/rally/petter_solberg/motorsport/6561976/
Two year deal with Shell, I wonder where that leaves the possibility of a factory BP Ford or TOTAL Citroen? Maybe PSWRT is here to stay
for next year and just get a more competitive car? I would be surprised if its a Mitsu, Skoda or Pug. Petter knows there are only two cars that could give him what he wants, a C4 (best rally car ever) or a 09 Focus. I dont think there are any more evolutions of these two cars planned so the 09 versions could be used by private teams in 2010, as I think non factory drivers must drive 'last years model'

pettersolberg29
4th June 2009, 21:45
I've been told he's still using the Xsara.

The Evo is Stig-Olof Wakfridsson’s ex-works car that Petter borrowed for the show. Duno why the effort was put into putting the livery on it, but who knows?

JFL
4th June 2009, 22:25

The Evo is Stig-Olof Wakfridsson’s ex-works car that Petter borrowed for the show. Duno why the effort was put into putting the livery on it, but who knows?
Petter does'nt have more then 1 Xsara, and to use that for show is much more expensive then using a old car.. :) The livery costs about 500-1000 Euro.. And to be a taxi for 30 guest co-drivers and do donuts with the Xsara would be far more expensive..

pettersolberg29
4th June 2009, 22:31
Thats a good point, although surely he could have borrowed a Xsara rather than confuse people as to what car he's driving!

JFL
4th June 2009, 22:49
A xsara 1.4i you mean? ;) :)

pettersolberg29
4th June 2009, 22:56
Whatever car floats his boat ;)

Mirek
5th June 2009, 00:48
Ford has contract with PB, Citroën with Total, Abarth with Selenia, Peugeot with Total. Contract with Shell means he can't join any of these works teams. The only one which has Shell as a partner is Škoda...

redrover
5th June 2009, 05:14
]The only one which has Shell as a partner is Škoda...

What about Suzuki, they are the other Shell team. He may think it a good idea to run the Suzuki's

Gard
5th June 2009, 07:45
]Ford has contract with PB, Citroën with Total, Abarth with Selenia, Peugeot with Total. Contract with Shell means he can't join any of these works teams. The only one which has Shell as a partner is Škoda...

When going the s2000 route I think they'll keep the PSWRT solution. Not the same need for a factory team then.

DonJippo
5th June 2009, 08:13
I dont think there are any more evolutions of these two cars planned so the 09 versions could be used by private teams in 2010, as I think non factory drivers must drive 'last years model'

Non factory drivers can drive latest model if available, only limitation is for Manufacturer Teams they must use cars homogolated on previous year. But in reality which factory team would want to give their latest version for non-factory driver? It does not make any sense.

bluuford
5th June 2009, 08:40
Non factory drivers can drive latest model if available, only limitation is for Manufacturer Teams they must use cars homogolated on previous year. But in reality which factory team would want to give their latest version for non-factory driver? It does not make any sense.

Well, Ford´s last year car is practically the same as this year car. What would be the point to give him a car? They need one driver who is able to fit between Citroen and their factory drivers to still contest for Manu title and hope that Jari and Mikko are faster than him and one of them is faster than Loeb. They can register him as a Munchis points scorer or Stobbart points scorer and move one of the Stobbart drivers to Munchis. There is no conflict with sponsors in satellite teams. Last year one of Aava´s sponsor was Addinol while he was driving C4 or Focus and one sponsor was Catwees (while driving Focus) who is distributing Citroen´s :-) Only M1 teams are related to those title sponsors.

Mirek
5th June 2009, 10:59
Of course, You're right. I was just thinking loud about works teams sponsors ;)

Gard
5th June 2009, 11:11
Well, Ford´s last year car is practically the same as this year car. What would be the point to give him a car? They need one driver who is able to fit between Citroen and their factory drivers to still contest for Manu title and hope that Jari and Mikko are faster than him and one of them is faster than Loeb. They can register him as a Munchis points scorer or Stobbart points scorer and move one of the Stobbart drivers to Munchis. There is no conflict with sponsors in satellite teams. Last year one of Aava´s sponsor was Addinol while he was driving C4 or Focus and one sponsor was Catwees (while driving Focus) who is distributing Citroen´s :-) Only M1 teams are related to those title sponsors.

Placing a Stobart car a head of Loeb/Sordo doesn't give any more points to BP Ford. The BP Ford team has to get ahead of Citroen Total. That's not gonna happen without help from Bosse or Petter. Problem is, both of them will add cost BP Ford doesn't have money for.

bluuford
5th June 2009, 11:48
Placing a Stobart car a head of Loeb/Sordo doesn't give any more points to BP Ford. The BP Ford team has to get ahead of Citroen Total. That's not gonna happen without help from Bosse or Petter. Problem is, both of them will add cost BP Ford doesn't have money for.

Well, If Jari-Matti is able to keep his current form then I cannot see problem why he cannot keep his car in front of Loeb. And if Mikko manages to take third and someone in Stobbart can keep Sordo behind then Ford does not win point but Citron looses one point. That means +1 to Ford :-) That was what I was thinking for. If Ford manages to put two Stobbarts in Front of Sordo, then it is +2 for Ford.

Psycho!
5th June 2009, 19:11
But Sordo is not that bad on gravel anymore.Henning can't pass him.Aaaaa!!!Maybe Wilson junior.....

noel157
6th June 2009, 00:43
Well, If Jari-Matti is able to keep his current form then I cannot see problem why he cannot keep his car in front of Loeb. And if Mikko manages to take third and someone in Stobbart can keep Sordo behind then Ford does not win point but Citron looses one point. That means +1 to Ford :-) That was what I was thinking for. If Ford manages to put two Stobbarts in Front of Sordo, then it is +2 for Ford.

Won't happen, Sordo is nearly as fast as Hirvonen on gravel now although maybe not as lucky with reliability. Really can't see a Stobart ahead of him.

bluuford
6th June 2009, 06:57
Won't happen, Sordo is nearly as fast as Hirvonen on gravel now although maybe not as lucky with reliability. Really can't see a Stobart ahead of him.

That is why Ford needs to get Solberg in Stobart or into their team, then they have three drivers able to drive faster than Sordo. And if they manage to take Aava for some events (like Finland), then there is a possibility that they have four drivers able to beat Sordo :-) That is just theoretical approach :-)

noel157
6th June 2009, 09:25
That is why Ford needs to get Solberg in Stobart or into their team, then they have three drivers able to drive faster than Sordo. And if they manage to take Aava for some events (like Finland), then there is a possibility that they have four drivers able to beat Sordo :-) That is just theoretical approach :-)

Agree but it depends just how much Papa Wilson wants to win the Man Champ. With the present line up it doesn't look like he is that serious, no?

GigiGalliNo1
9th June 2009, 05:19
Least he has a new website...!

Looks pretty good and some of his sponsor money must of gone to that! Hope for a new car too! :D

pettersolberg29
9th June 2009, 18:21
Least he has a new website...!

Looks pretty good and some of his sponsor money must of gone to that! Hope for a new car too! :D

Really? Looks the same to me...

Sulland
10th June 2009, 22:02
Petter will do a comparison test btw the two french oldies after the next rally, to see if the whale is better, espesially on straight line speed, where he looses out with the Xsara !

Lets see what he decide on !

Finni
10th June 2009, 22:52
Petter will do a comparison test btw the two french oldies after the next rally, to see if the whale is better, espesially on straight line speed, where he looses out with the Xsara !

Lets see what he decide on !

If there is clear difference in straight line speed it must be due to downgraded engine of the Xsara.. In simultaneous accelaration videos Xsara has always been as good as 307 and better than Focus -06.

GigiGalliNo1
11th June 2009, 14:43
Really? Looks the same to me...

Oh, maybe I never went on the Flash version haha

woops!

Psycho!
11th June 2009, 19:20
If there is clear difference in straight line speed it must be due to downgraded engine of the Xsara.. In simultaneous accelaration videos Xsara has always been as good as 307 and better than Focus -06.
But the 307 has a better top speed even than the normal Xsara!It was the king of Finland.I still remember the 1-2-3 at the opening stages of rally Finland 2004...Don't forget that fast rallies are on cards for the rest of the year... ;)

JFL
12th June 2009, 21:00

I don't know if people can see this, but here is a album of Petter in the show.. Uses some of his old cars as well :)

http://www.facebook.com/friends/?added&ref=tn#/album.php?aid=261184&id=866850014

jbmarcus21
17th June 2009, 13:56
Somebody says when and where Petter tests 307 this week ?

Sulland
18th June 2009, 20:52
In what parts of the car has the development continued ? Is it mostly on the tarmac setup, or is it more ?

Gard
18th June 2009, 21:30
Somebody says when and where Petter tests 307 this week ?
Somewhere in Poland, probably monday

MJW
18th June 2009, 21:35
Somewhere in Poland, probably monday
No - Poland test is with the Xsara, 307 in France, and I think its been.......

DonJippo
18th June 2009, 22:06
No - Poland test is with the Xsara, 307 in France, and I think its been.......

You really think he would change for 307?

Barreis
24th June 2009, 10:46
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76490

JFL
1st July 2009, 22:06
According to his facebookstatus: "Petter is up to something tomorrow..."
Wonder what? Test?, Meeting with a new team? New car? New sponsors? ..

Blitzerflitzer
1st July 2009, 22:48
"Petter is up to something tomorrow..."

Solberg im Citroën C4? (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/top/topnews/d16/d/2009/07/01/solberg-im-citroen-c4/index.html)

Translation:

Solberg in the Citroën C4? (http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=de&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-magazin.de%2Ftop%2Ftopnews%2Fd16%2Fd%2F2009%2F07%2 F01%2Fsolberg-im-citroen-c4%2Findex.html&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=)
Petter Solberg tested on Thursday a Peugeot 307 in the hope that his old Xsara repulse them. But he may have another option.....

Tom206wrc
2nd July 2009, 14:15
News ???? :confused:

jbmarcus21
2nd July 2009, 14:57
he is on Test today in Mazamet in France, i think ........ ??

Tom206wrc
2nd July 2009, 15:16
On Autohebdo website they write Solberg was happy with the test with whale vs Xsara ;)

serial jeff
2nd July 2009, 17:39
I noticed on the entry list for NORF he's named the xsara, but can that be changed?

VFTS
2nd July 2009, 18:26
I noticed on the entry list for NORF he's named the xsara, but can that be changed?

Yes, he can change car, but he cant change class(A8).

bluuford
2nd July 2009, 18:56
Yes, he can change car, but he cant change class(A8).
You can change class as well if all the competitors are agree :-)

VFTS
2nd July 2009, 19:54
You can change class as well if all the competitors are agree :-)

OK, thats new for me. I talked to some competitors before a WRC-event and they told me that they couldnt change class.

Psycho!
2nd July 2009, 20:18
GUYS STORM TO PETTER'S Facebook!!!There are photos from the test!!!!

serial jeff
2nd July 2009, 20:23
GUYS STORM TO PETTER'S Facebook!!!There are photos from the test!!!!

I don't see any... most recent action seems to be from yesterday? :confused:

edit: Ah, I see them. Thanks! :D

pettersolberg29
2nd July 2009, 21:07
Link? Can't find them...

serial jeff
2nd July 2009, 21:14
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2027433&id=1421302948&l=2de5fc8da3

Tom206wrc
2nd July 2009, 21:14
Have we got to be registered on Facebook to acceed pics ???? :confused:

Edit: OK thanks Serial Jeff ;)

pettersolberg29
2nd July 2009, 21:20
Thanks jeff

gloomyDAY
2nd July 2009, 22:20
Solberg is testing both the Xsara and 307?

I wonder which direction he decides to take.

bluuford
2nd July 2009, 22:35
OK, thats new for me. I talked to some competitors before a WRC-event and they told me that they couldnt change class.

24.3 AMENDMENTS ON THE ENTRY FORM
A competitor may freely replace the car declared on the the entry form with another from the same group and the same class, up to the moment of scrutineering.
and:
27.1 CHANGE OF CLASS ENTERED
At the time of scrutineering, if a car does not correspond as presented to the group and/or class in which it was entered, it may be transferred to the appropriate group and/or class recommended by the scrutineers upon the decision of the Stewards.

A few years ago Daniel Carlsson changed the class and the condition was that all the entrants had to agree that change.

noel157
2nd July 2009, 22:37
The Whale still looks well, especially in silver. Hope Petter chooses it, something different and I presume more suitable than the Xsara for NORF (should be more powerful, no?)

JFL
2nd July 2009, 22:38
more powerful, yes.... handling? Who knows...

DonJippo
2nd July 2009, 22:46
Solberg is testing both the Xsara and 307?

I wonder which direction he decides to take.

For Finland neither one of these is a solution, he needs something that does not have "best before 2005" on it... :dozey:

Xsara Fan
2nd July 2009, 22:54
Hmmm.....
Facts:
- 2004 built Peugeot 307 WRC with chassis number 009
- 2004: 3 starts in WRC.
- 2005: no starts.
- 2006: to B.S.A. (Hungary Rally Championship with János Tóth, French Rally Championship with Jérome Grosset-Janin, Czech Republic International Rally Championship & OMV ADAC Rally Deutschland with Štěpán Vojtěch, Belguim Rally Championship with Bruno Thiry);
- 2007: French Rally Championship with David Salanon (only tarmac rallyes).
- 2008: AFAIK French Rally Championship with David Salanon

It seems to me that if Petter will change Xsara to 307 we`ll hear some 'we have no power' or 'we have no speed' news from PS WRT...

Mirek
2nd July 2009, 23:08
For Finland neither one of these is a solution, he needs something that does not have "best before 2005" on it... :dozey:

The best years of 307 were 2006 and 2007. The car was still developped (and even produced) and was different to that used by factory team in 2005.

JFL
2nd July 2009, 23:10
Hmmm.....
Facts:
- 2004 built Peugeot 307 WRC with chassis number 009
- 2004: 3 starts in WRC.
- 2005: no starts.
- 2006: to B.S.A. (Hungary Rally Championship with János Tóth, French Rally Championship with Jérome Grosset-Janin, Czech Republic International Rally Championship & OMV ADAC Rally Deutschland with Štěpán Vojtěch, Belguim Rally Championship with Bruno Thiry);
- 2007: French Rally Championship with David Salanon (only tarmac rallyes).
- 2008: AFAIK French Rally Championship with David Salanon

It seems to me that if Petter will change Xsara to 307 we`ll hear some 'we have no power' or 'we have no speed' news from PS WRT...

Fact about the Subaru Impreza WRC
Norwegian champion 07 and 08....
wonder why the new Impreza cant handle the wrc, when it handles national events so good?

The quote from Petter regarding the speed of the Xsara is not only a complaint... It's a fact.. In a test b4 the Polish Rally, Andreas Mikkelsen recorded a topspeed 8-12 km/h faster then Petter's Xsara.. In a Skoda!!

Xsara Fan
2nd July 2009, 23:13
Fact about the Subaru Impreza WRC
Norwegian champion 07 and 08....
wonder why the new Impreza cant handle the wrc, when it handles national events so good?

The quote from Petter regarding the speed of the Xsara is not only a complaint... It's a fact.. In a test b4 the Polish Rally, Andreas Mikkelsen recorded a topspeed 8-12 km/h faster then Petter's Xsara..

Last year Atko with the same cars was faster than Petter. I think that Petter isn`t so good...

JFL
2nd July 2009, 23:18
Last year Atko with the same cars was faster than Petter. I think that Petter isn`t so good...

Yeah... You are probably right about that!
The Xsara is the best car this year also, even if its in a private team, so I think Petter is making a big fool of himself with his amateur driving..
If we got Atko in that Xsara I'm sure he would have been leading the championship by now... easy...
It's a shame.... He should just call it quits, and give up... :dozey:

Mirek
2nd July 2009, 23:36
In a test b4 the Polish Rally, Andreas Mikkelsen recorded a topspeed 8-12 km/h faster then Petter's Xsara.. In a Skoda!!

Do You have exact numbers?

N.O.T
2nd July 2009, 23:40
The thing is that if peter doesn;t get into an official team he cannot go higher than 4th speedwise no matter the car he uses....

JFL
2nd July 2009, 23:46
]Do You have exact numbers?
Colin Clark said it on wrc-radio last weekend..

pucky54
2nd July 2009, 23:48
The thing is that if peter doesn;t get into an official team he cannot go higher than 4th speedwise no matter the car he uses....

Sure he can, if he will not use a Ford or a Citroen ;)

btw: the 307 works car was the car to beat in Finland

gloomyDAY
3rd July 2009, 00:10
The Xsara is the best car this year also, even if its in a private team, so I think Petter is making a big fool of himself with his amateur driving..
If we got Atko in that Xsara I'm sure he would have been leading the championship by now... easy...
It's a shame.... He should just call it quits, and give up... :dozey: :rotflmao:

Thanks. Just made my day!

N.O.T
3rd July 2009, 00:32
Sure he can, if he will not use a Ford or a Citroen ;)

btw: the 307 works car was the car to beat in Finland

NO.. the driver driving the 307 was the man to beat in finland

N.O.T
3rd July 2009, 00:35
It's a shame.... He should just call it quits, and give up... :dozey:

he didn;t say that atko would do all that you say...he just said the truth ...that Atko sent peter to school last year...

JFL
3rd July 2009, 00:44
he didn;t say that atko would do all that you say...he just said the truth ...that Atko sent peter to school last year...

Petter is finnished...he should really throw in the towel.... Atko is a much safer bet for any team.. :p

I'm not bothering to defend that.. If you did'nt see why that happened..
Easy explained..
They drove with different parts at some rallies to try them out.. Not all of them worked out.
One of them wanted to win rallies...

Xsara Fan
3rd July 2009, 01:13
Petter is finnished...he should really throw in the towel.... Atko is a much safer bet for any team.. :p

I'm not bothering to defend that.. If you did'nt see why that happened..
Easy explained..
They drove with different parts at some rallies to try them out.. Not all of them worked out.
One of them wanted to win rallies...

You defend Petter cause he is Norwegian :) That`s ok - the same with me. I`ll defend Novikov anyway.

JFL
3rd July 2009, 01:33
Maybe a little, but I think he's taken a lot of crap for be honest! If he keeps his mouth shut it's wrong, if he says something, its wrong.. All I know that in a right car, he's up there.. He has beaten them all... McRae, Mäkinen, Märtin, Sainz, Loeb, Burns, Grönholm, Hirvonen etc.... and some of them in the same car as himself.. He's been struggling for some years...
And now he show's who he is.. with a car that can't win, he is still up there in the not so fast stages..
I think that the Xsara has more in it then what his car has got... But that is how it is.. If he ever get's a top spec car again, I'm sure he will win... until then... Enjoy Loeb ... as long as it lasts..

N.O.T
3rd July 2009, 01:37
It was Solbergs choice to go for the money at subaru than compromise and get a better car...now he pays that price...

JFL
3rd July 2009, 01:43
He did'nt set his own paycheck... And if he was so bad, why did they even bother to pay him that much? G'nite.. ;)

Cloverleaf
3rd July 2009, 01:46
-Choosing the car wise- Petter is not on his own. FX really knows the potential of these 2 cars and whatever they choose it will be the best they can get.

And you do not have to be a norwegian to realize the fact that Petter is doing great with an ancient car in private hands.

N.O.T
3rd July 2009, 01:50
-Choosing the car wise- Petter is not on his own. FX really knows the potential of these 2 cars and whatever they choose it will be the best they can get.

And you do not have to be a norvegian to realize the fact that Petter is doing great with an ancient car in private hands.

define great...... the car he uses cannot give a clear picture of what his capabilities are if he gets in a proper one....anyone with his experience talent and his skills would do the same thing.