PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Bite's

Tazio
8th February 2007, 21:32
(GMM) Russia is back on Bernie Ecclestone's F1 radar, according to media reports.

The news agency 'Agence France-Presse' says the north western city of St. Petersburg has made a proposition to the F1 supremo about a future race.

"We have good contacts with him," sports minister Viatcheslav Fetissov is quoted as saying.

Ecclestone is understood to have targeted St. Petersburg or Moscow as ideal locations for a Russian GP in 2005, after making at least two visits to the country.

"It won't take forever (to organise) because I won't be around for ever," he said at the time, "and I want to see it!"

76-year-old Ecclestone is also quoted by the Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo this week as saying that his sport has entered a "new era".

"We need places like China, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi," he insisted, "which have something to offer. At places like Imola or Magny Cours, we don't know what we can offer our guests."

Oh I don't know Bernie.
Traditional f-1 courses
What is it these other places have to offer(besides money)
Alot of non-European F-1 fans like the Idea of spending a little time in France, and Italy as part of an F-1 holliday

luvracin
8th February 2007, 21:36
2005??

zoostation
8th February 2007, 23:27
2005??

yeah bernie wanted a 2005 russian gp, but it never happened.

anyone else worried that we will end up with most of the races being in the middle of nowhere on bland tracks with about 100 people watching? (and all because of Bernie's 'new markets')

wmcot
9th February 2007, 05:49
anyone else worried that we will end up with most of the races being in the middle of nowhere on bland tracks with about 100 people watching? (and all because of Bernie's 'new markets')

Not Tilke!!!!

ShiftingGears
9th February 2007, 06:44
I don't want more sterile tracks on the calendar...I want a track that is undulating, shaped by the nature surrounding it, not a flat location that's decided by the wallets of those around it. It seems that with this attitude towards circuits that the former is something that was and will never be again.

ioan
9th February 2007, 08:40

To be honest Magny Cours is at least as much in the middle of nowhere as any new track might be.

jso1985
9th February 2007, 20:50
I'm with Bernie if his objetice is to take Imola and Magny Cours off the calendar!

wmcot
10th February 2007, 07:29
I'm with Bernie if his objetice is to take Imola and Magny Cours off the calendar!

And any other track as long as he can find a new one that pays more! :(

tinchote
10th February 2007, 07:56
Any news here? What are we talking about? :confused:

futuretiger9
10th February 2007, 10:20
I agree, ANY track in a new market can't be much worse than Magny Cours. I would much prefer the French GP back at Paul Ricard anyway. At least it's got some atmosphere.

As for Russia, well I suppose it makes sense from a financial point of view. The sponsors may like it, and why NOT Russia? The only worry would be the nature of the track.

EuroTroll
10th February 2007, 11:27
I'd love a St. Petersburg GP! Only 400 km from Tallinn.. ;) Go, Bernie! :D

I bet the Finns wouldn't mind either.

janneppi
10th February 2007, 11:51
I wouldn't be bothered. :p :

Ian McC
10th February 2007, 12:15
(GMM) Russia is back on Bernie Ecclestone's F1 radar, according to media reports.

He has a hell of a lot of money but I am not sure he has enough to buy Russia! :eek:

10th February 2007, 14:21
anyone else worried that we will end up with most of the races being in the middle of nowhere on bland tracks with about 100 people watching?

You've not been to Magny Cours then.

It's in the middle of nowhere and, if it wasn't for Renault sending their workers in by the busload, would be lucky to get 100 people.

And since when has St Petersburg or Moscow been 'in the middle of nowhere'?

10th February 2007, 14:27
I agree, ANY track in a new market can't be much worse than Magny Cours. I would much prefer the French GP back at Paul Ricard anyway. At least it's got some atmosphere.

That should be 'did have some atmosphere', as it's a private test track now with no spectator facilities.

EuroTroll
11th February 2007, 00:00
I wouldn't be bothered. :p :

It's been more than half a ****ing century. Why don't you let it go. :p :

janneppi
11th February 2007, 08:37
It's not because of some old border disputes, it's because i have very little interest to go follow a F1 race, and even less interest to go to Leningrad for that. :)

futuretiger9
11th February 2007, 11:49
I'd love a St. Petersburg GP! Only 400 km from Tallinn.. ;) Go, Bernie! :D

I bet the Finns wouldn't mind either.

Yes, it could turn into a home race for Kimi and Heikki, just like Hungary used to be for the two Mikas.

jso1985
11th February 2007, 19:33

That's what I was wondering too, didn't know St. Petersburg, Istanbul and Shanghai were in the middle of nowhere...
People need better arguments to bash the new tracks

veeten
11th February 2007, 19:42
well, then how about the other St. Petersburg... in sunny, warm Florida? :D :cool:

jso1985
11th February 2007, 20:07
crappy street track IMO ;)

blakebeatty
12th February 2007, 06:16
You've not been to Magny Cours then.

It's in the middle of nowhere and, if it wasn't for Renault sending their workers in by the busload, would be lucky to get 100 people.

amen to that. there are like 13 000 000 people in moscow. i would love to see a russian gp. the more countries the better. the fly away races are very well attended, canada is regularly sold out, usgp has huge attendance (though it looks empty as indianapolis holds 250 000 people)

montreal, indianapolis, brazil, interlagos, china, japan. these are all beautiful facilities and help to celebrate the diversity of f1.