PDA

View Full Version : Why I enjoy amatuer racing.

Easy Drifter
4th February 2009, 20:34
I love racing. I often go to amatuer race events at Mosport and Shannonville.
The competition is often fierce but there is a lot of comeraderie too.
If you want to see what I mean go to the CASC site (the ASN for Ont.) at www.casc.on (http://www.casc.on)
Look at their forums especially the road racing, vintage and Ice racing Forums. Makes for interesting reading and there is a lot of good by play between various teams and drivers. The officials are a friendly lot too and try to be accomodating.
The poster "Bubblecar' is the Vice President of CASC, racing a jet black Viper and his nickname is Darth Viper, :vader: and multi time champion. He takes a lot of ribbing and gives it right back.
I do not belong to the forum but read it every day.

Jag_Warrior
5th February 2009, 00:16
I agree. When amateur racers are in the paddock at VIR, it always strikes me how they'll help fellow competitors. Unless you find a couple of guys who are bitter enemies, it seems like the majority of them will offer parts and advice to just about anyone.

Valve Bounce
5th February 2009, 00:26
Jockeys make more money in amateur racing, especially in Hong Kong. :p :

Easy Drifter
5th February 2009, 01:19
Formula Atlantic racing in the heyday in the 70's was that way among the crews, even if the drivers didn't always get along. Just think of the names that came out of that era. 18 wheelers were few and far between and there were a lot of open trailers and vans or pick ups as tow vehicles.
The circuit travelled all over NA and nobody could carry enough spares so back and forth between teams was standard.
Half the time the drivers/owners didn't know where the crews scrounged stuff from.
At one race about half the field balanced their wheels on a portable static balancer I had fabricated because the local Goodyear Dealer couldn't balance our Mags.

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 07:34
All I know my favourite broadcasts on Speedvision and later Speed have been the annual coverage of the SCCA Runoffs. Fantastic racing and no money on the line at all. Too bad SPEED treats them like the red headed step child on broadcast times...