PDA

View Full Version : Who are the backup drivers to the works teams

curry
2nd February 2009, 01:30
Say that one of the 4 works drivers was unable to compete for a few rounds of the championship.

Who would Malcolm and Oliver turn too?

Citroen

At the moment I would have to say Chris Atkinson, but possibly Sebastien Ogier later in the season if he progresses well.

Ford (interesting one)

If it was a tarmac event then I think Malcom would go for Francois Duval, but if it was gravel I reckon he might go for Urmo Aava. I suppose Gigi Gali would be considered as would Petter Solberg. But what about a Marcus Gronholm come back?

If anyone suggests Matthew Wilson they will be shot at dawn :D

Interesting discussion if anyone wants to add their 2 cents worth.

Koz
2nd February 2009, 05:49
Solberg would be a choice for everyone, if Malcom can get past his ego.
Duval is another good choice for everyone.

Marcus and Markko won't be back...

mjh
2nd February 2009, 06:41
... A hooker for Max, and we're all set :p

Just one hooker? That won't get you very far! :D

Daniel
2nd February 2009, 08:40
Just one hooker? That won't get you very far! :D
A lashing for you! Oh wait.... no .... a lashing for Max!

urabus-denoS2000
2nd February 2009, 09:41
A few years ago M-Sport would take Miggins

curry
2nd February 2009, 15:13
Solberg would be a choice for everyone,

Forget Norway, as it a specialty event, do you reckon Citroen would go for Petter over Chris for rally Cyprus?

Viking
3rd February 2009, 08:33
Forget Norway, as it a specialty event, do you reckon Citroen would go for Petter over Chris for rally Cyprus?

Wery hypothetical question but yes, since Petter has won the Cyprus rally and have more than 20 stagewins there.

Barreis
3rd February 2009, 10:44
F.Duval..

ChickenMcNugget
3rd February 2009, 11:14
They'd mostly draw from their M2 squads, I'm sure. Ford, I imagine, would probably opt for Henning on loose surfaces and Duval on the hard, and Citroen may call up Ogier on any surface.

Finni
3rd February 2009, 13:09
Wery hypothetical question but yes, since Petter has won the Cyprus rally and have more than 20 stagewins there.

In terms of driver capabilities and adaptativenes Petter would be first the first choise. But because Chris has already opened relationship with Citroen that could change the situation.

Iskald
3rd February 2009, 14:31
In terms of driver capabilities and adaptativenes Petter would be first the first choise. But because Chris has already opened relationship with Citroen that could change the situation.

About "relationship with Citroën": What is the name of the car Petter will drive in Norway...?

JFL
3rd February 2009, 18:47
I wonder what will happen if Petter beat the Citroen M1. Will they bother? Maybe in a good way? l

Barreis
3rd February 2009, 21:45
I would like to see good competetion..

curry
4th February 2009, 02:45
I couldn't see Oliver picking Petter over Chris for any event at the moment with the exception of Norway. Chris has tested and run the C4, that would be a big advantage if this scenario ever arose.

With regards to Ford, would you honestly pick Henning over Urmo? Bottom line is they both go off regularly but Urmo has a lot more speed to offer.

Viking
4th February 2009, 07:51
With regards to Ford, would you honestly pick Henning over Urmo? Bottom line is they both go off regularly but Urmo has a lot more speed to offer.

Stage wins 2008, Henning 16, Urmo 5 :bandit:

Tomi
4th February 2009, 07:59
Ford would propably try to get Grönholm or if its a tarmac event then maybe Duval.
Citroen maybe Atkinson or Ogier, maybe Duval for tarmac as well.

Barreis
4th February 2009, 08:13
I see F.Duval as only man who could beat S. Loeb on tarmac..

J.Lindstroem
4th February 2009, 09:24
I see F.Duval as only man who could beat S. Loeb on tarmac..

I'd say bring in Philipe Bugalski!

AndyRAC
4th February 2009, 09:32
I'd say bring in Philipe Bugalski!

Jesus Puras - who beat Loeb in San Remo 2001!! (yeah, Loeb's first WRCar drive)

J.Lindstroem
4th February 2009, 09:36
Jesus Puras - who beat Loeb in San Remo 2001!! (yeah, Loeb's first WRCar drive)

That whould be even better! OT: What happened to him? He drove something in 2002 did'nt he but was'nt any good?

curry
4th February 2009, 10:00
Stage wins 2008, Henning 16, Urmo 5 :bandit:

I'll have a quite wager with you that the score is reversed this year :s mokin:

koko0703
4th February 2009, 14:35
I bet the choice will come down to Petter or Chris at the moment although Duval is also a strong candidate on tarmac. But how about Gardemeister? He won't win it but likely to bring any car in top 5.

Brother John
4th February 2009, 14:42
Backup drivers this year?
First you need teams and number one drivers! ;)