PDA

View Full Version : Daimler AG board 'only just' approve Mercedes continued F1 prescence

Giuseppe F1
1st February 2009, 23:25
The board voted 3 votes to 2 in favour off remaining in F1........close call!!!

Board approves Mercedes F1 programme
Daimler AG remains committed to Formula One
01/02/09 16:50

Only by a narrow margin was Mercedes-Benz's continued presence in Formula One approved by the marque's parent board, a report on Sunday claimed.

The German news magazine Focus said Dieter Zetsche, Daimler AG Chief Executive, recently asked the management board to vote on whether Mercedes should prolong its 13-year collaboration with 2008 drivers' world champions McLaren.

Mercedes-Benz is currently McLaren's largest shareholder, and has supplied works engines to the Woking-based team since 1995.

Amid the global financial crisis, speculation continues that other carmakers will follow Honda in withdrawing from the expensive sport.

Focus claims that the management board's vote tallied three votes to two, meaning that for now Daimler AG remains committed to Formula One.

The same magazine, however, said BMW might rethink its BMW Sauber-branded F1 programme upon completion of the quest to win the title, theoretically at the end of this year.

F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone recently said he is pressing for the manufacturers to commit contractually to the sport long-term.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090201165053.shtml

Nikki Katz
1st February 2009, 23:35
I don't think that any manufacturer is totally safe at the moment.

trumperZ06
2nd February 2009, 15:54
:dozey: F1 Live.com's article "Board approves Mercedes F1 programme"

says the vote was three to two... with Mercedes staying in Formula One.

:rolleyes: It's starting to look like all the Major Players are reviewing their options, with BMW also mentioned in the same article.

ioan
2nd February 2009, 18:38
http://forums.motorsport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131443

trumperZ06
2nd February 2009, 19:31
:D "yep... same info from a different site...

Mercedes almost bailed... and other teams (BMW along with Renault)) are considering leaving.

;) Bernie's scrambling... trying to keep his Golden Goose afloat...

with FOTA scheming & plotting a revolution.

Cooper_S
2nd February 2009, 20:53
I have to say as a huge BMW fan I am pleased but surprised they have committed so much to 2009 not just in F1

They will contest F1, WTCC, ALMS and 2009 is their inaugural season in WSBK...

I hope they can keep it up...

As for Mercedes, being part owners of Team McLaren is a massive incentive to remain in F1...

LOL... I'd personally I'd love them to bail and see Prodrive buy their stake in McLaren

Robinho
3rd February 2009, 12:33
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45043

apparentley not true

jens
3rd February 2009, 14:26
Too many random rumours tend to circle around, which have no evidence at all. Like also the rumours about Slim or PSA buying Honda.

Cooper_S
3rd February 2009, 15:08
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45043

apparentley not true

Shame......... :laugh:

Robinho
3rd February 2009, 16:34
yeah, cos we need fewer cars on the grid, that'll make it a much better watch for us all! :rolleyes:

Cooper_S
3rd February 2009, 16:41
yeah, cos we need fewer cars on the grid, that'll make it a much better watch for us all! :rolleyes:

LOL.... who said anything about less cars on the grid or even no McLaren...

Tazio
3rd February 2009, 18:57
Too many random rumours tend to circle around, which have no evidence at all. Like also the rumours about Slim or PSA buying Honda.Jens with 51 day 4 hours, and 55 minutes untill the first race.
The rumor mill is the place to be! Soon we will be discussing actual racing.

BTW who is Flav currently shagging on the side :rolleyes:

Valve Bounce
4th February 2009, 04:16
Jens with 51 day 4 hours, and 55 minutes untill the first race.
The rumor mill is the place to be! Soon we will be discussing actual racing.

BTW who is Flav currently shagging on the side :rolleyes:

Strange you should ask, now that Boy George is in jail. :p :

Jag_Warrior
4th February 2009, 18:36
LOL... I'd personally I'd love them to bail and see Prodrive buy their stake in McLaren

Buy their stake with what, a rubber check?

If Richards was serious about getting into F1, he's already had more than enough chances to step up to the plate. IMO, he's like that Nigerian prince: just blowing hot air.

Cooper_S
4th February 2009, 22:58
Buy their stake with what, a rubber check?

If Richards was serious about getting into F1, he's already had more than enough chances to step up to the plate. IMO, he's like that Nigerian prince: just blowing hot air.

LOL...

my wish, or desire to see Mercedes gone and Prodrive take their place is just my fantasy...

I never said it was realistic... but a guy can dream can't he ;)