PDA

View Full Version : Speed TV

shazbot
1st February 2009, 01:45
Thanks for removing my Speed TV thread. Freedom of speech eh? Pathetic.

gloomyDAY
1st February 2009, 01:48
Why does it matter? Speed TV sucks.

shazbot
1st February 2009, 01:54
True, just wanted to get it off my chest. Nothing too inflamatory. Must have said the wrong thing though. Speed TV police perhaps?

Jag_Warrior
1st February 2009, 04:11
We used to get The Legends of Motorsport, Autoline Detroit, Motorsports Mundial, WRC, Victory By Design and Lost Drive-in with crazy Bruce Dern. We still get F1 and GP2, as well as F1 Debrief and Inside Grand Prix. But for the most part, I've stopped watching the channel on nonrace weekends. The low budget reality and drag racing shows that populate the channel now, IMO, are worse than the infomercials that Speedvision used to have late at night.

All I can say is good luck to Jim Liberatore in his next race channel venture.

Easy Drifter
1st February 2009, 04:36
I concur. I used to watch Speed far more than I do now.
Once in a while I will flip over and actually find racing but usually it is Pinks or Barrett Jackson re runs. Either that or endless NASCAR blather. The mods won't let me use my nickname for NASCAR.
Even Speed News on Sunday night is mostly NASCAR now. It used to have a good balance.

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2009, 06:44
Speedvision was FAR better to watch than "Speed" and apparently it made money for someone. The only saving grace they have is they do the SCCA runoffs. I have noticed though I didn't get my Aussie Thunder v8's this year. THAT BLOWS BIG TIME!!!!

Tazio
1st February 2009, 07:00
:dozey: Speed has become a caricature of itself! :p :

Daniel
1st February 2009, 11:43
True, just wanted to get it off my chest. Nothing too inflamatory. Must have said the wrong thing though. Speed TV police perhaps?
This forum has no affiliation to Speed TV.

shazbot
1st February 2009, 14:11
This forum has no affiliation to Speed TV.

I'm sure, but why delete a harmless thread expressing a widely held opinion that Speed TV is, as someone else commented 'a caricature of itself'. There simply is way too much NASCAR, way too many cheap non racing 'reality' programs and no where near enough racing. I have nothing against NASCAR for what it is, but when it gets rammed down our throats 24/7 then it can't help but foster negative feelings. Yes, I don't have to watch Speed TV, but I work in the racing industry (from F1, Le Mans, IRL to the BTCC), I've raced on some of the best tracks in the world (and still do) and am well aware that I'm missing out on watching some great racing from around the US and the world. Today for example Speed has 12 hrs of Pimp My Ride! 12 hours. I'd like to hear some kind of justification for this drivel, when we could be watching Rally Ireland WRC.

steve_spackman
2nd February 2009, 01:54
I'm sure, but why delete a harmless thread expressing a widely held opinion that Speed TV is, as someone else commented 'a caricature of itself'. There simply is way too much NASCAR, way too many cheap non racing 'reality' programs and no where near enough racing. I have nothing against NASCAR for what it is, but when it gets rammed down our throats 24/7 then it can't help but foster negative feelings. Yes, I don't have to watch Speed TV, but I work in the racing industry (from F1, Le Mans, IRL to the BTCC), I've raced on some of the best tracks in the world (and still do) and am well aware that I'm missing out on watching some great racing from around the US and the world. Today for example Speed has 12 hrs of Pimp My Ride! 12 hours. I'd like to hear some kind of justification for this drivel, when we could be watching Rally Ireland WRC.

Speed TV has gone down the same path as MTV...

Jag_Warrior
2nd February 2009, 02:23
Speed TV has gone down the same path as MTV...

Not far from it. So as soon as I turn on Speed and they have a show about transgender race car drivers or gay NASCAR fans, I'm done... well & truly done!

schmenke
2nd February 2009, 14:33
The only reason I don't dump Speed TV is because it's part of my "bundled" cable package :dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2009, 14:57

The WRC doesn't have the sponsors to pay to be on, and Speed wasn't making enough off the advertising vs ratings equation for it to be on. Motorsports coverage is expensive and if the ratings are not there, then they will find something cheap to put on. You and I both hate pimp my ride but somehow it is cheaper than covering real racing. I suspect most series, with the exception of NASCAR and F1 are paying for TV coverage and not willing to pay enough often.

The issue I have with Speed though is they don't actually try to have shows that would interest racing fans. They are catering to the punk with his hat on backwards with the 1500w stereo system that is pounding so hard my teeth are rattling. Why they want this demographic is silly....but that is advertising in America. Cater to the "youth" market. Never mind the whole point of the channel I thought was to provide coverage of motorsports events. Speedvision survived just fine until Fox came along and bought it and changed it to Speed. Why Fox is doing what they are doing is a mystery to me....and how it makes money is a mystery to me as well.

I do know if I had to pick it NOW, I likely wouldn't but it is part of my "bundle" that comes with all my other sports programming...

steve_spackman
2nd February 2009, 15:00
The WRC doesn't have the sponsors to pay to be on, and Speed wasn't making enough off the advertising vs ratings equation for it to be on. Motorsports coverage is expensive and if the ratings are not there, then they will find something cheap to put on. You and I both hate pimp my ride but somehow it is cheaper than covering real racing. I suspect most series, with the exception of NASCAR and F1 are paying for TV coverage and not willing to pay enough often.

The issue I have with Speed though is they don't actually try to have shows that would interest racing fans. They are catering to the punk with his hat on backwards with the 1500w stereo system that is pounding so hard my teeth are rattling. Why they want this demographic is silly....but that is advertising in America. Cater to the "youth" market. Never mind the whole point of the channel I thought was to provide coverage of motorsports events. Speedvision survived just fine until Fox came along and bought it and changed it to Speed. Why Fox is doing what they are doing is a mystery to me....and how it makes money is a mystery to me as well.

I do know if I had to pick it NOW, I likely wouldn't but it is part of my "bundle" that comes with all my other sports programming...

agree

Easy Drifter
2nd February 2009, 16:33
Even Speed Report (aka NASCAR promotion) was dumped last night for a pimp.
Oh well the Stupor Bowl game was good.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2009, 22:36
Turned on Speed today and watched 2 hours of the SCCA runoff's while awaiting the dispatch that didn't come. Racing on SPEED...go figure!!!

tmx
4th February 2009, 04:00
In the past I remember seeing live 24 hours coverage of le mans 2001. And there was onboard of finland rally and Markko Martin winning in Greece. That's how I got introduced to rallying. Now there's nothing good on it.

leopard
4th February 2009, 05:00
I think it's just because no one can claim the only one channel of racing, there will be some categories remain out of their coverage. You can make selective choice about programs useful or not. Else, since racing is strongly related to speed, anyone will come to the SPEED first before going elsewhere. imo...

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 07:41
I think it's just because no one can claim the only one channel of racing, there will be some categories remain out of their coverage. You can make selective choice about programs useful or not. Else, since racing is strongly related to speed, anyone will come to the SPEED first before going elsewhere. imo...

The problem is they don't cover anything but F1 and NASCAR reliably. Some races from Star Mazda and Atlantics air at funny times..and the World Challenge and ALMS have their dates on SPEED but live broadcasts are hit and miss. The Rolex was on Speed, but since that is a NASCAR owned property it gets far more play than the ALMS 12 hours of Sebring, a superb event on a classic circuit with much more interesting cars. How SPEED covers THAT one will be telling. The Rolex got 16 hours of coverage......so 3/4 of the 12 hours isn't asking for too much is it?

Roamy
7th February 2009, 08:50
speed tv has sooooo much going on their webpage it looks like someone puked on my pizza

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 09:43
It's worse now than ever....and it has always been pretty lame...