PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Mayer (1935-2009)

jonny hurlock
1st February 2009, 02:20
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=317863

I didn't know this until now, none of the other websites are noticing he has passed away, so, RIP Teddy

ArrowsFA1
1st February 2009, 15:02
Very sad news. I will always associate Mayer with James Hunt's 1976 title winning season at McLaren and he clearly was a major figure in McLaren's history from the very beginning.

RIP.

Chris Herr
1st February 2009, 21:16
Not to take anything away from Teddy, but I'll remember him most for his opposition to the innovative Chaparral 2J, which in turn helped kill the Can Am series.

kodiak
3rd February 2009, 17:01
Teddy Mayer

It is with great sadness that I learned about the passing away of Teddy Mayer.
Many older Racing fans, like I’m, will remember him for his active role in the best
Racing series this Planet ever saw, the CanAm Challenge. As a Dutchy, I learned more
About Teddy when the charismatic Brittish hero James Hunt got involved in a fierce
Year long battle for the F.1 Championship with Austrian Niki Lauda (this man is still
Commentator for a German TV station covering F.1 races) The year was of course 1976.
Remembered by many as one of the most thrilling duels in Racing history. Including all
the fuss about regulations, decisions and Race results corrections , sometimes token months after the disputed GP. Not only for Hunt, but moreso for Mayer, it was a year that coloured the hair of these men more gray than they wanted. In those days, I was a vivid fan of James Hunt and therefore the whole McLaren Team. It motivated me to learn more about the person
Teddy Mayer. At the Dutch GP in ’76, I got the privilege and opportunity to meet Mr. Mayer.
It was only for a few minutes but, as stated in the memoriam, he took the time to talk to me, a
Young teenager (17), in a very friendly way. Like he had no problem talking to everyone.I will never forget his relaxed, symphatetic face. Smiling most of the time, as he was known for.
Many questions popped my mind that day. Like the situation since Lauda’s crash at the
Nürburgring. Time ran out. But my impression of this man was, and will always be, very positive.
Thanks to Teddy, I got interested in CanAm Racing and learned about the great work he did with Bruce [McLaren]. Tracking the F.1 McLaren team since 1976, I felt sorry for Mayer when all the cars, succeeding the M23, failed to deliver. The short lived Beatrice adventure had no future as long as Heavy weight ex-champ Alan Jones took the wheel.
Teddy Mayer was certainly one of the most succesful Teammanagers and accessible persons in Racing History. In a time when the common Racefan had access to the drivers and teammembers during an event. Those days are long gone by.
With his passing away, a part of my youth is also gone.

Dear Teddy, R.I.P.

kodiak
4th February 2009, 01:52
Teddy Mayer

It is with great sadness that I learned about the passing away of Teddy Mayer.
Many older Racing fans, like I’m, will remember him for his active role in the best Racing series this Planet ever saw, the CanAm Challenge. As a Dutchy, I learned more About Teddy when the charismatic Brittish hero James Hunt got involved in a fierce Year long battle for the F.1 Championship with Austrian Niki Lauda (this man is still Commentator for a German TV station covering F.1 races) The year was of course 1976.
Remembered by many as one of the most thrilling duels in Racing history. Including all the fuss about regulations, decisions and Race results corrections , sometimes token months after the disputed GP. Not only for Hunt, but moreso for Mayer, it was a year that coloured the hair of these men more gray than they wanted. In those days, I was a vivid fan of James Hunt and therefore the whole McLaren Team. It motivated me to learn more about the person Teddy Mayer. At the Dutch GP in ’76, I got the privilege and opportunity to meet Mr. Mayer.
It was only for a few minutes but, as stated in the memoriam, he took the time to talk to me, a Young teenager (17), in a very friendly way. Like he had no problem talking to everyone.I will never forget his relaxed, symphatetic face. Smiling most of the time, as he was known for.
Many questions popped my mind that day. Like the situation since Lauda’s crash at the Nürburgring. Time ran out. But my impression of this man was, and will always be, very positive. Thanks to Teddy, I got interested in CanAm Racing and learned about the great work he did with Bruce [McLaren]. Tracking the F.1 McLaren team since 1976, I felt sorry for Mayer when all the cars, succeeding the M23, failed to deliver. The short lived Beatrice adventure had no future as long as Heavy weight ex-champ Alan Jones took the wheel.
Teddy Mayer was certainly one of the most succesful Teammanagers and accessible persons in Racing History. In a time when the common Racefan had access to the drivers and teammembers during an event. Those days are long gone by.
With his passing away, a part of my youth is also gone.

Dear Teddy, R.I.P.

Griffon
5th February 2009, 18:56
Not to take anything away from Teddy, but I'll remember him most for his opposition to the innovative Chaparral 2J, which in turn helped kill the Can Am series.

The 2J had nothing to do with the death of Can-Am. The series was killed by Porsche, as they have done with a good many other series.

blito
8th February 2009, 23:13
oh yes, Porsche, god damn them for being so good at all things sports car related :D

and RIP Teddy Mayer, another F1 legend is laid to rest.