PDA

View Full Version : The diffuser of Toyota & Williams

jens
28th January 2009, 22:11
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73038

Now that's interesting. Wil & Toy together? I wonder if those two teams had some kind of co-operation in working out that solution? ;) As much as I have heard, they have it in other areas too besides engine (like gearbox).

Well, I just hope this won't be banned as out of the six teams, who have unveiled their 2009 challenger so far, those two teams have the least amount of expectations on them, so it would be great to see some underdogs actually gaining an advantage over others in some areas!

Bruce D
29th January 2009, 05:51
I find it interesting that Williams & Toyota have both gone for different types of KERS systems - checking which works best with their engine in a quicker way?

Anyway, first it was Ferrari last week and their exhaust system, now its Williams & Toyota and their diffuser. Sounds to me like McLaren and BMW have sour grapes before they've even started losing... :P

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 09:17
I find it interesting that Williams & Toyota have both gone for different types of KERS systems - checking which works best with their engine in a quicker way?

Anyway, first it was Ferrari last week and their exhaust system, now its Williams & Toyota and their diffuser. Sounds to me like McLaren and BMW have sour grapes before they've even started losing... :P

FYI, BMW, Mercedes and Toyota all questioned the legality were the Ferrari exhaust pipes to be used during the season while Renault commented on the diffuser issue. Hardly sour grapes and can't find any mention of McLaren in there.

It's quite normal given all the rule changes that the teams will be clarifying regulations.

ioan
29th January 2009, 11:15
FYI, BMW, Mercedes and Toyota all questioned the legality were the Ferrari exhaust pipes to be used during the season while Renault commented on the diffuser issue. Hardly sour grapes and can't find any mention of McLaren in there.

It's quite normal given all the rule changes that the teams will be clarifying regulations.

As far as Ferrari's exhaust pipes are concerned, the only rule that might have been broken , AFAIK, is the one stating that no body parts (nd starting with December 2008 exhaust pipes are considered part of the body) should have a radius smaller than 75 mm, so making the outer diameter of the exhaust pipes be at least 75 mm would solve the "problem".

PS: FYI Mercedes = McLaren in F1. :p :

Bruce D
29th January 2009, 11:51
can't find any mention of McLaren in there.

The article I saw in Autosport said "the teams" - which I took to mean McLaren too, and seen as McLaren seem to need "clarification" of every thing any team does these days, I presumed they were involved. ;)

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 12:12
The article I saw in Autosport said "the teams" - which I took to mean McLaren too, and seen as McLaren seem to need "clarification" of every thing any team does these days, I presumed they were involved. ;)

When I read the quote it was actually from Norbert which is quite logical as it relates to the engine.

However, it's fair to say that when Norbert speaks, he speaks for McLaren Mercedes :)

Bruce D
29th January 2009, 13:39
You never know, he could be speaking on behalf of Force India these days! ;)

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 14:21
You never know, he could be speaking on behalf of Force India these days! ;)

Good point :laugh:

Assumption is the mother of all F**k-ups :D

SGWilko
29th January 2009, 16:38
As far as Ferrari's exhaust pipes are concerned, the only rule that might have been broken , AFAIK, is the one stating that no body parts (nd starting with December 2008 exhaust pipes are considered part of the body) should have a radius smaller than 75 mm, so making the outer diameter of the exhaust pipes be at least 75 mm would solve the "problem".

PS: FYI Mercedes = McLaren in F1. :p :

I think, seeing as how we are referring (assuming the title thread is an obvious give-away - and yes, I am using my EXTRA LARGE MAGNIFIER) to the diffuser of Toyota and Williams, and the team in question that raised the issue with the FIA was Renault, I fail to see why you implicate the McLaren Mercedes team in this instance.

Tazio
29th January 2009, 18:20
"An official protest cannot be lodged until a race weekend, and the FIA is likely to pass judgement on the issue before the season begins. If Williams and Toyota’s structures are legal, other teams will presumably rush to copy the design onto their own machines."
http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/f1-news/williams-toyota-diffuser-arrangements-to-be-scrutinised/
It really is a scamble to "test the waters" As this artical states The FIA(although by their own rules) cant consider a protest untill a race weekend will be having to clairify their @sses off in the interim I see some unhappy campers comming out of this!