PDA

View Full Version : Europe's F1 'Renaissance'

Azumanga Davo
28th January 2009, 07:24
By the looks of things, it was fairly certain a few years ago that F1 in Europe would be on a drip feed whilst many Far Eastern and Middle Eastern nations competed for a spot on the calendar.

Now I read that bids from Rome and a plan of action in France is taking place as we speak. Has the tide swung the other way? Have the investors of Asia had a rethink on their plans in F1? And if they are scared, how come Europe has suddenly found the money to afford these new complexes?

wedge
28th January 2009, 12:29
Because people in Europe actually go to F1 races

ArrowsFA1
28th January 2009, 13:04
While the new races in the Far & Middle East may bring prestige and publicity initially to nations wanting such things (it's why they're willing to pay CVC's fees) it seems that wanes after a while, and with no "fanbase" to speak of there's not much left.

Chinese GP organisers said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72236): "Formula One has only been here for five years. To build a spectator base is not easy, it's a long term operation." It's also a very costly one.

I don't know where any money would come from to finance any new European venues, but there is certainly a "fanbase".

Cooper_S
28th January 2009, 13:16
F1 was always predomitly a European based Championship... it is great to see F1 race around the world, but in recent times the push out of Europe (mainly due to sponsorship rules) meant it began to hold less appeal to me personally... so any move to ensure more European races is welcomed... and

I would also love to see a return to North America... Canada and two USAGP's would be great.

we can but hope...

K-Pu
28th January 2009, 13:40
Thatīs what happens (as I said before, and I quote myself in another thread):

Agree. The problem is that F1 is an enormously big business, a money machine, and this is the way business work. What Iīm trying to say is that Bernie is doing what any other businessman would do in his place: try to squeeze the maximum amount of money from everywhere and also paying the minimum.

And now we get to the real problem: when a sport is such a great business (the same happens with football), it starts to behave like a business: treacherous, whimsy and money-addicted, no matter what happens with the sport itself unless it collapses.

samuratt
28th January 2009, 15:16
I love your sign K-pu!!! :D

ioan
28th January 2009, 19:32
So, Bernie's to escape Europe and rule the 3rd world countries didn't work! That's a good thing.

Tazio
28th January 2009, 19:52
F1 was always predomitly a European based Championship... it is great to see F1 race around the world, but in recent times the push out of Europe (mainly due to sponsorship rules) meant it began to hold less appeal to me personally... so any move to ensure more European races is welcomed... and

I would also love to see a return to North America... Canada and two USAGP's would be great.

we can but hope...Spot on my man!
IMVVHO I think that in terms of the USGP
Someone ought to pitch it to Steve Wynn in Vegas. ;)

Shifter
29th January 2009, 01:17
Where's the backlash from our middle eastern forum members?

Tazio
29th January 2009, 02:32

You won't read about it untill after the explosion :dozey:

Azumanga Davo
29th January 2009, 07:18
You won't read about it untill after the explosion :dozey:

Golly gee, don't hold back your thoughts... :p :

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 08:57

PML :laugh:

Tazio
29th January 2009, 17:37
Golly gee, don't hold back your thoughts... :p :I couldn't pass that one up! :p :

callum122
2nd February 2009, 05:19
The 2007 Australian GP cost the state almost $A35 million dollars to host. Bernie would rake in a large amount of that sum. Anyone know what bernie would be charging these days to host a GP?
The price of a GP is far too high, eventually the F1 calendar will lose the great, beautiful tracks because their state won't finance and sponsors can't bring in enough cash.
I would probably have to cry if F1 didn't go to Spa-Francorchamps anymore lol.

HenryM
2nd February 2009, 05:46
well, we have here in brazil the GP since 73, in the past years is the event that anually generates more money in Sao Paulo, and that is something... so I think it's no that impossible to make money with one GP, and here we don't have some crazy new tracks, or some crazy Sheikh paying for it, but here I think, people will only watch f1 races like that if one driver (at least) is brazilian and have chances of victory... when we don't have anymore a good brazilian driver on f1 (I think it will be very soon, judging by what happened to brazilian motorspot in the past 10years, karting is more expensive than ever, formula races doesn't exist anymore) I think...

ArrowsFA1
8th February 2009, 18:31
Turkish Grand Prix organisers fear they could lose their Formula One race after 2011, amid reports that Bernie Ecclestone does not plan to renew his current deal with the Istanbul Park circuit.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73176

8th February 2009, 20:49
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73176

Now, if only they had built Istanbul Park on the other side of the Bosphorus, they'd needn't be worried by a European F1 Renaissance.

millencolin
9th February 2009, 01:14
I dont really mind F1 going out and exploring new races.. especially in Asia, for 2 reasons

1. Easier if i want to attend them
2. much better timezone for me to watch

but then again, i only care about myself.... im sick of being tired as buggery on mondays cause of european races :p :