PDA

View Full Version : FIA driver's ranking list

A.F.F.
27th January 2009, 19:55
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2009/01/789035

According to MTV3 FIA starts a weekly ranking list for drivers which is similar they use in tennis, ATP. Points are earned in all FIA rally series and one use is to help rally organizers around the world to build starting order. Apparently they FIA tried it already last year with demo-version in which they faced some problems. For instance Gardemeister was in postion 87 because he had so many retirements.

FIA won't use ranking system in WRC but in ERC and national series. WRC might be in later on. Then they reserve first ten positions for drivers in WRChampionship.

Ranking system should be all public at 2010.

urabus-denoS2000
27th January 2009, 20:00
Nice

But why not public in 2009?

tolis
27th January 2009, 20:17
Nice

But why not public in 2009?

In fear of making a mistake!!!

urabus-denoS2000
27th January 2009, 20:22
They already tested it in 2008...

Corny
27th January 2009, 20:24
I don't think this can be done effective, for example: Al Qassimi will be in top 25 with such an idea, while he's not even in top 200 if you look at pure talent ;)

Mirek
27th January 2009, 20:30
I agree. In my opinion it is quite stupid idea. What is the ranking based on? How about importance of results and rallys? Even national events have very different competition and difficulty...

What if Duval makes 2 rallys in season and retiress in both. Will he after that start somewhere down the field and overtake others on every stage?

NRI
27th January 2009, 20:34
Yes , very silly idea !

AndyRAC
27th January 2009, 20:35
Can't see the point myself - never had this years ago when the WRC was strong - so why now. Sounds like another gimmick to add some interest to the series.
Why not have an egg & spoon race to determine the starting order..........

BDunnell
27th January 2009, 20:43
Can anyone explain the point of this?

They should bring back individual event seeding, in my opinion, though.

urabus-denoS2000
27th January 2009, 21:05
I dont think its based for WRC,more for FIA cups....

Tomi
27th January 2009, 21:14
]I agree. In my opinion it is quite stupid idea. What is the ranking based on? How about importance of results and rallys? Even national events have very different competition and difficulty...

What if Duval makes 2 rallys in season and retiress in both. Will he after that start somewhere down the field and overtake others on every stage?

It's based on results, propably it will have somekind of coefficient system.

A.F.F.
27th January 2009, 21:25
Yes, sorry I left out the vital info. Like Tomi said, ranking is based on results.

Mirek
27th January 2009, 21:27
Ok, but see the example. We all know Duval is fast but if he has no results for any reason, does it mean he should start somewhere from behind? I don't think so. The starting order is for safety reason and if someone very fast is going from down the field, he must overtake many others and that's not the good way for sure.

Results, results... Victory in Slovakia is not the same as in Italy. And even in Italy, there are hundreds of rallys in many different series. How could the results be compared?

Tomi
27th January 2009, 21:37
]Results, results... Victory in Slovakia is not the same as in Italy. And even in Italy, there are hundreds of rallys in many different series. How could the results be compared?

maybe something like, Slovakia winner gets 10x1 ranking points, Italian 10x2 points, IRC 5x10, top european national series 6-7x10, and wrc 10x10 points, but it will be difficult to rank series, or on what bases to rank.

A.F.F.
27th January 2009, 21:38
At Mirek, I'm sorry but in that article they don't say it. They just admit it has flaws.

TKM
27th January 2009, 21:39
It's based on results, propably it will have somekind of coefficient system.
Exactly, should be a coefficient based on stage times, not overall results.

Tomi
27th January 2009, 21:46
But i think this system is only giving somekind of hint where the driver should start, normally i dont think there has been problems with the starting order.

PLuto
27th January 2009, 22:47
I was near to chance do that official ranks for FIA... But I am happy they will do it "alone", because I dont agree with their rules.

I am thinking about ranking system for a veeeeery long time, but I hadnt found the good system for it yet...

mjh
28th January 2009, 01:56
Why not have an egg & spoon race to determine the starting order..........

Because of the problems designating the 'control' chicken species to apply for each race, and restrictions on the spoon size to stop manu teams from spending too much money on expensive spoons with enhanced egg grip..... :)

I'll get me coat.....

FabiaFan
28th January 2009, 08:01
But i think this system is only giving somekind of hint where the driver should start, normally i dont think there has been problems with the starting order.

Like in tennis for example? There is this ATP ranking, but in Wimbledon they never accept it...

J4MIE
28th January 2009, 08:58
This has got to be the most pointless thing I have ever heard :s

AndyRAC
28th January 2009, 09:10
This has got to be the most pointless thing I have ever heard :s

Considering the mess the WRC is in, plus the excellent IRC Monte Carlo Rally, you would think there would be more pressing issues than another pointless hair-brained idea. Is this the best they can do??

TMorel
28th January 2009, 10:12
If the top ten are purely reserved for the WRC guys, does that mean that Ogier could win every round of the IRC but still be ranked below Wilson?

It's almost as bad as F1's medals system

AndyRAC
28th January 2009, 10:37
If the top ten are purely reserved for the WRC guys, does that mean that Ogier could win every round of the IRC but still be ranked below Wilson?

It's almost as bad as F1's medals system

Don't forget that the WRC is a far superior, more competitive series than the IRC - which is for has beens/never beens!! So Wilson should be ahead of Ogier - I mean he's only won the JWRC and the Monte.

A.F.F.
28th January 2009, 11:31
:laugh:

After reading this brief feedback FIA probably isn't so sure they want ranking public 2010. :D

jonkka
1st February 2009, 09:08
juwra.com has had WRC rankings since 2005