PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Whiting on the new rules

Tazio
27th January 2009, 19:24
An interesting read
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&id=45025&PO=45025

"What the teams will do is to have a Friday engine that’ll probably do the first four races or something of that nature. They’ll then take the engine out and use another one for Saturday and Sunday.

All we’ve got to do – it’ll be extra work – is to make sure that these engines remain sealed and are untouched"

Knock-on
28th January 2009, 09:55
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This makes no sense whatsoever..... yet again.

The revised, altered, new rules stated that an engine was in use for a weekend as soon as it left the pit lane.

Do they not use the Pit lane on a Friday now?????

At this rate, we're going to have teams use a practice engine for 4 or 5 meetings, last weeks race engine on a Saturday and a new one on the Sunday.

How much buggering about with engine switches is this going to mean for the teams. Getting back to the days when they would rebuild them every Saturday night.

SGWilko
28th January 2009, 11:34

The revised, altered, new rules stated that an engine was in use for a weekend as soon as it left the pit lane.

At this rate, we're going to have teams use a practice engine for 4 or 5 meetings, last weeks race engine on a Saturday and a new one on the Sunday.

How much buggering about with engine switches is this going to mean for the teams. Getting back to the days when they would rebuild them every Saturday night.

Q: So, once you’ve started the event with one engine, you will be able to change it whenever?

CW: Exactly!

I think the FIA needs thicker glasses as they really are short sighted these days. Either that or they should have gone to specsavers.

Tazio
28th January 2009, 18:33

How much buggering about with engine switches is this going to mean for the teams. Getting back to the days when they would rebuild them every Saturday night.Mind boggling isn't it? :crazy:
Max will put things "right" :p :

Daniel
28th January 2009, 20:33
Mind boggling isn't it? :crazy:
Max will put things "right" :p :

*WARNING - Bad Max joke*

I'm sure he'll "whip" things into shape :p

Sleeper
28th January 2009, 22:52
*WARNING - Bad Max joke*

I'm sure he'll "whip" things into shape :p
To be honest it was a bit limp.

mstillhere
28th January 2009, 23:01
An interesting read
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&id=45025&PO=45025

"What the teams will do is to have a Friday engine that’ll probably do the first four races or something of that nature. They’ll then take the engine out and use another one for Saturday and Sunday.

All we’ve got to do – it’ll be extra work – is to make sure that these engines remain sealed and are untouched"

I think next time I'll watch a race I'll have to have the regulation manuals next to me. Every day new rules. I had it!!!

Hondo
29th January 2009, 00:02
After last season, I wouldn't take Whiting's opinion on any rule as a sure thing.

Tazio
29th January 2009, 02:33
After last season, I wouldn't take Whiting's opinion on any rule as a sure thing.A point well taken :up:

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 09:20
To be honest it was a bit limp.

No need to "lash" out though :D

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 09:22
After last season, I wouldn't take Whiting's opinion on any rule as a sure thing.

Totally agree.

I along with most people who know about F1, have always held CW in high esteem but try as I might, I cannot find any justification for last years actions.

Daniel
29th January 2009, 09:49
Totally agree.

I along with most people who know about F1, have always held CW in high esteem but try as I might, I cannot find any justification for last years actions.

As was pointed out at the time it wasn't Charlie's place to say yay or nay to McLaren. Given that point it was silly for him to say anything.....

SGWilko
29th January 2009, 10:12
Personally, I think the rule book the FIA have, and the one sent to the teams are totally different.

The FIA book has a single page in it, with just the one sentence, written VERY LARGE so even the most visually stunded FIA appointed moron can read it.

It reads "make it up as you go along"

:D

Daniel
29th January 2009, 10:13
It reads "make it up as you go along"

Sounds like the have a lot in common with some McLaren fans! :D

SGWilko
29th January 2009, 10:16
Sounds like the have a lot in common with some McLaren fans! :D

Yes, we got sent the same rulebook by mistake, only we need a REALLY REALLY BIG magnifying glass to make out the letters...... ;)

Daniel
29th January 2009, 10:33
Yes, we got sent the same rulebook by mistake, only we need a REALLY REALLY BIG magnifying glass to make out the letters...... ;)
I think you're confused between a rulebook and something starting with p and ending with s :p

SGWilko
29th January 2009, 10:38
I think you're confused between a rulebook and something starting with p and ending with s :p

Don't take much to get us McLaren boys confused now does it? Sorry, what was your name again. Where am I again...... ;)

Daniel
29th January 2009, 10:39
Don't take much to get us McLaren boys confused now does it? Sorry, what was your name again. Where am I again...... ;)

It is the year 3000, your name is Hubert J Farnsworth and my name is Daniel :)

SGWilko
29th January 2009, 10:41
It is the year 3000, your name is Hubert J Farnsworth and my name is Daniel :)

Oh Bugger, I thought my name was Elmer Snodgrass... ;)

ioan
29th January 2009, 11:21
Oh Bugger, I thought my name was Elmer Snodgrass... ;)

Well, that explains lot's of things! :p :

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 12:20
As was pointed out at the time it wasn't Charlie's place to say yay or nay to McLaren. Given that point it was silly for him to say anything.....

I agree. But say something he did; twice.

Then went against what he said to the teams and retrospectivly asked the stewards to investigate after the race in complete contradictions to what he said to McLaren.

What's the "knock-on" effect? Well, this bloody stupid medal idea for one. Wouldn't have even cropped up without this farce.

As I said, his actions last year were were stunning and reprehensible in my opinion.

Daniel
29th January 2009, 12:23

Then went against what he said to the teams and retrospectivly asked the stewards to investigate after the race in complete contradictions to what he said to McLaren.

What's the "knock-on" effect? Well, this bloody stupid medal idea for one. Wouldn't have even cropped up without this farce.

As I said, his actions last year were were stunning and reprehensible in my opinion.
I think reprehensible is a bit much :) I think it was a dumb thing to do/say. I fully agree that Charlie was in the wrong on this matter :up:

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 12:33
I think reprehensible is a bit much :) I think it was a dumb thing to do/say. I fully agree that Charlie was in the wrong on this matter :up:

OK, I'll go with that.

It happened, it should never have happened and hopefully we will get better visibility to ensure this situation never occurs again.

Daniel
29th January 2009, 12:34
OK, I'll go with that.

It happened, it should never have happened and hopefully we will get better visibility to ensure this situation never occurs again.
Amen to that :up:

29th January 2009, 12:39

Although at least he didn't have a dossier of full designs of a rivals car.

If you think Whiting's actions were "stunning and reprehensible" what would you say about a team that had those?

Knock-on
29th January 2009, 14:27
Although at least he didn't have a dossier of full designs of a rivals car.

If you think Whiting's actions were "stunning and reprehensible" what would you say about a team that had those?

The same as I have said previously. They were guilty having access to the data, even if it wasn't incorporated into the car, and as such were rightly penalised.

I also said that $100m was way over the top and that Renault should have been similarly punished for having McLaren data for a year.

However, if you are accusing CW of cheating and he should be punished, I suggest that there is an amount of evidence to support your claim but cannot agree with your conclusion.

I think it was a monumental cock-up, incompetent and further brought the sport into disrepute but cannot believe CW would cheat.

Tazio
29th January 2009, 17:35

As I said, his actions last year were were stunning and reprehensible in my opinion.Don't look now but:
"Ferrari have had to modify the exhaust exits on the side pods of the F60, as seen at its launch at Mugello earlier this month (left diagram). In testing the length of the tailpipes has already been reduced (right diagram). Under the original text of the 2009 technical regulations the Ferrari solution was legal. That changed following a later meeting of the Technical Working Group and FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting, in which it was it was decided that exhaust tailpipes are considered part of the bodywork. "

Just don't "ring him up" during a race :laugh:

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2009/0/618.html

SGWilko
29th January 2009, 21:48
Don't look now but:
"Ferrari have had to modify the exhaust exits on the side pods of the F60, as seen at its launch at Mugello earlier this month (left diagram). In testing the length of the tailpipes has already been reduced (right diagram). Under the original text of the 2009 technical regulations the Ferrari solution was legal. That changed following a later meeting of the Technical Working Group and FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting, in which it was it was decided that exhaust tailpipes are considered part of the bodywork. "

Just don't "ring him up" during a race :laugh:

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2009/0/618.html

No, go on, bell 'im up, and say "hi, is that Charlie"? Bet yer bottom dollar he gets all confused and has no clue what you are on about.......