PDA

View Full Version : Next FIA president?

Knock-on
26th January 2009, 12:41
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72998

I actually agree with Ron that the next head of the FIA should be from outside of Motorsport.

When (if) Max ever goes, what would his ideal replacement look like I wonder?

Obviously they would need experience of running a large, multi-disciplined organisation but would that be enough? What would their profile be. How should they develop and steer the FIA.

If you had a blank sheet of paper, what would you do?

ArrowsFA1
26th January 2009, 13:07
As far as the FIA and motorsport is concerned one thing I'd do is have a Vice-President for each area (F1, WRC, WTCC etc) that the FIA governs. One championship, one VP.

These VP's would ultimately report to the FIA President and the WMSC.

IMHO the FIA President should be a figurehead who represents the FIA (motorsport & motoring) worldwide. The VP's would deal with the day to day "policing" of each championship.

Mark
26th January 2009, 13:55
We kind of already have that since Bernie is a VP and in charge of F1.

ioan
26th January 2009, 20:07
Well, I would take his place if it wasn't for the uproar and accusations of favoritism towards a team or another that would follow on this forum!
So, thanks but no thanks! :p :

trumperZ06
26th January 2009, 20:21
Well, I would take his place if it wasn't for the uproar and accusations of favoritism towards a team or another that would follow on this forum!
So, thanks but no thanks! :p :

:p : No worries !!!

;) Unless you have money to pay bribes like Max did !!!

26th January 2009, 20:30
So long as it's not this bloke....

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sir-fred-goodwin-to-run-for-fia-presidency-3464.html

Maybe this is who Jackie Stewart had in mind, given the RBS link?

If that is the case, then Stewart really is a "half-wit".

BDunnell
26th January 2009, 22:16
I don't think it's a good idea to think of it in terms of taking a particular type of person. It is often impossible to transplant someone who's been successful in one role into another position — just because someone has been successful in one field doesn't mean to say that they will repeat that success in another.

Tazio
26th January 2009, 23:41
I think George Walker Bush would be perfect for the job! :p :

ShiftingGears
27th January 2009, 01:30
The new FIA president needs to preside over all the series in the governance of the FIA, and not just F1.

AndyRAC
27th January 2009, 08:50
The new FIA president needs to preside over all the series in the governance of the FIA, and not just F1.

Exactly - I'm always surprised why people don't understand this. There are some message boards around and people just don't get the fact that there are other Motorsports around. Saying that, the FIA don't help themselves by concentrating on F1 (possibly understandable) to the detriment of other series.

ArrowsFA1
27th January 2009, 09:42
We kind of already have that since Bernie is a VP and in charge of F1.
But isn't he just responsible for the commercial aspect and nothing else. His VP title could almost be more of a "new years honour" bestowed by Max for services to Monaco residents ;)

Exactly - I'm always surprised why people don't understand this. There are some message boards around and people just don't get the fact that there are other Motorsports around. Saying that, the FIA don't help themselves by concentrating on F1 (possibly understandable) to the detriment of other series.
To some extent, yes it is inevitable, but I recall seeing a comment from the current President when he was first elected to the effect that he wouldn't be seen much around F1. That didn't quite work out :p

That's one of the reasons I think each championship should have its own VP. If you look at the wide ranging aspects of the FIA, both in motorsport and motoring, I don't think the President can police one particular series. They need to be a figurehead overseeing the whole organisation, not cherry picking the "best" bits.

Rusty Spanner
27th January 2009, 13:10
The next FIA president needs to explain to Bernie who actually runs the F1 (and even the wider sport). I know 'technically' there is a separation of powers between the commerical (Bernie) and sporting (FIA) side of F1 but in reality all the while it's the Max 'n' Bernie show I'm far from convinced.

jens
27th January 2009, 15:20
We may propose ideas as much as we like here, but I'm afraid if Max indeed leaves one day, he will nominate someone as his successor and basically nothing will change...

Crank
28th January 2009, 15:50
For the sake of argument I would like to take the other side and say why not? I understand Ron's point of view, but we have also complained in the past about how Max lack of motorsport background has hurt F1 regarding some technical decisions.

Furthermore we have seen signs of favoritism anyway towards "certain" taeams in red ;) , so why not choosing a guy that has some experience at senior level? Maybe someone who has left the sport for some time and/or has no ties to the big teams, that would give the teams trust towards the policing system.

I agree also with the idea of having VP's for each area of motorsport, or at least F1, because that has hindered the ability of other areas of motorsport, like rallying, to flourish.

ArrowsFA1
5th February 2009, 07:53

If that is the case, then Stewart really is a "half-wit".
Max has scotched (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/4516234/FIA-president-Max-Mosley-to-stand-for-re--election.html) that one in his usual way :rolleyes:

"Last week Sir Fred called me to say it was all nonsense. He was obviously rather embarrassed. The interesting thing is where it could have come from. It has to be someone with some kind of connection to F1. He's got to have some connection with Scotland. He's got to have no understanding of how F1 or the FIA work, and he has to be unusually stupid. There's at least one person who ticks all those boxes."

ioan
5th February 2009, 09:08
Way to go Max!
The guy alludes way better than Bernie with his "no money" try!

leopard
5th February 2009, 09:31
Who has no money, Max? How did he pay the girls? ...

Knock-on
5th February 2009, 09:41
Way to go Max!
The guy alludes way better than Bernie with his "no money" try!

Well, lets see.

Crass, insensitive, rude, insulting, unreasonable, unrealistic and living in his own reality regardless of facts or other peoples opinions.

There's at least one person that ticks all those boxes, isn't there ;)

leopard
5th February 2009, 09:51
You don't have ideal replacement for the tick then? :)

5th February 2009, 15:48
Well, lets see.

Crass, insensitive, rude, insulting, unreasonable, unrealistic and living in his own reality regardless of facts or other peoples opinions.

Yes, but I'm far too busy to be FIA President.

ioan
5th February 2009, 17:12
Well, lets see.

Bernie?

Tazio
5th February 2009, 21:20
So long as it's not this bloke....

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sir-fred-goodwin-to-run-for-fia-presidency-3464.html

If that is the case, then Stewart really is a "half-wit".That dude looks like the illegitimate butt-baby of Eddie Irvine,
and the actor that played the fag in “Are You Being Served “ :confused: :p :

Knock-on
6th February 2009, 09:37
Bernie?

Slightly closer to home ;)

grantb4
7th February 2009, 16:21
As long as Max goes ... and soon. What an ass.

markabilly
7th February 2009, 18:22
Tazio is right

George W jr. will be next FIA president.

Before all of you go fussing that he does not know anything about F1 or being qualified, well he did not know anything about being POTUS, so...........big deal, Max don't either, but he is as qualified as max.
cuase he, like MaXie, is clearly into whipping up on folks, just ask the surviors in Iraq....as well as being clearly full of "crass, insensitive, rude, insulting, unreasonable, unrealistic and living in his own reality regardless of facts or other peoples opinions."