PDA

View Full Version : My Anti-Virus is gumming up my PC

Valve Bounce
25th January 2009, 03:29
I am currently running Cyberscrub's AV, which I just determined is gumming up my PC. It will not even permit me to defrag my PC unless I exit Cyberscrub.

rah
25th January 2009, 09:31
I am currently running Cyberscrub's AV, which I just determined is gumming up my PC. It will not even permit me to defrag my PC unless I exit Cyberscrub.

Try NOD32. Best I have found. Doesn't make a dent in performance.

cosmicpanda
25th January 2009, 10:32
I have NOD32, although I have heard that there are better ones out there - something like BitDefender or similar. Not bothered enough to change, though :)

I've never had problems with system performance with it, either.

Valve Bounce
31st January 2009, 00:45
We have had serious power blackouts during the heatwave in Melbourne which caused my PC to just simply conk out (crash out) when the power cut out. As a result, my Cyberscrub initially refused to load the kernel and I had to uninstall and re-install it from my CD. The Cyberscrub AV subscription was supposed to last for life without any renewal. WELL!! that just isn't happening because the next time I rebooted my PC, Cyberscrub refused to load and told me to renew.

My solution was to uninstall it, and download Grisoft's AVG instead, and now I am using Free version of AVG.

31st January 2009, 08:38
I used to subscribe to McAfee but am now using Avast which is free and quite popular - seems ok. I've downloaded CCleaner and Adware as well.

Sorry, that should be Ad-Aware 2008.

Roamy
31st January 2009, 15:56
If I were one of you Windoze people I would rush out and get Windoze 7.

This actually may be a formidable operating system for once.

yodasarmpit
31st January 2009, 17:34

I'll probably put Windows 7 on one of my machines, when it's actually released.
The beta is proving quite stable for a beta at least.

Daniel
31st January 2009, 17:50

It's faster than Vista but that's about it. It is far less intuitive and usable than Vista. I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed with Windows 7 tbh. Sure it's faster but personally I'd rather spend an extra £100 buying a better processor or some more RAM than buy Windows 7.

Valve Bounce
31st January 2009, 23:46
OK!! I'm using AVG FREE and my PC seems to be working faster. So far, so good!!