PDA

View Full Version : Who is next to go ?

trumperZ06
22nd January 2009, 16:32
:dozey: Honda was first, now Renault pledged that they will support their Formula One team this year. Renault is said to have advised FOTA that Renault engines would not be available to customer teams beyond 2009.

Renault is laying off 98 employees... from development and aerodynamic dep'ts due to the newly installed cost saving measures.

22nd January 2009, 17:42
:dozey: Honda was first, now Renault pledged that they will support their Formula One team this year. Renault is said to have advised FOTA that Renault engines would not be available to customer teams beyond 2009.

Renault is laying off 98 employees... from development and aerodynamic dep'ts due to the newly installed cost saving measures.

Link?

trumperZ06
22nd January 2009, 17:56
;) Try this:

look up F1-live.com

"Whispers doubt Renault future"

amongst others.

F1boat
22nd January 2009, 17:58
I hope that Renault stays. F1 is a step closer to death if they leave.

22nd January 2009, 18:00
I did try that, but it doesn't mention anything about Renault telling FOTA they wouldn't be supplying customer engines.

The Aero departments have known for a long time that reductions in staff levels would be inevitable with the new regulations.

jens
22nd January 2009, 18:04
Toyota will leave too if they don't win in 2009. About Renault there are just whispers at the moment, but about Toyota this seems quite a concrete situation.

And... I'm just wondering, for how long can Red Bull afford running two teams?They may not be hit hard by economic crisis as it's been suggested, but it seems inefficient and too costly to keep two teams.

trumperZ06
22nd January 2009, 18:10
I did try that, but it doesn't mention anything about Renault telling FOTA they wouldn't be supplying customer engines.

The Aero departments have known for a long time that reductions in staff levels would be inevitable with the new regulations.

:rolleyes: You either didn't read the correct article... or you are lacking in comprehension !!!

:dozey: From the referenced F-1.com article:

"This comment was followed by whispers in F1 circles that team management may have informed the latest meeting of the FOTA alliance that Renault engines will not be available to customer teams beyond 2009".

:p : Good luck on finding a link on future posts...

trumperZ06
22nd January 2009, 18:16
Toyota will leave too if they don't win in 2009. About Renault there are just whispers at the moment, but about Toyota this seems quite a concrete situation.

And... I'm just wondering, for how long can Red Bull afford running two teams?They may not be hit hard by economic crisis as it's been suggested, but it seems inefficient and too costly to keep two teams.

;) Yep... there has been speculation as to "which team" will be next to go.

The Renault article is only the latest...

Nikki Katz
22nd January 2009, 18:19
As everyone has said, while there's little imminent threat of another team pulling out, it's possible, actually quite likely that one or two will pull out at the end of the year. 2009 is going to be a tough year globally. I think that Renault and Toyota's future depends as much on how much cheaper it'll be in 2010 as anything; if it costs comparatively little to run a team then there's little point in pulling out wherever they finish, or at least have a reasonable change of another oil billionaire buying the team. However, if the teams bicker over cuts and the FIA are non-committal or come up with bizarre suggestions and little actually gets agreed, then there could be a mass exodus of teams at the end of the year.

gloomyDAY
22nd January 2009, 19:42
Williams are probably in a heap of trouble. Their glory days are long gone and when they do achieve success all of the other teams quickly catch up and surpass any of Williams' prior gains. Also, RBS just posted some unfavorable figures and that means less money for any F1 project.

Isn't there a contractual obligation to have no less than 20 cars on the grid?
I thought I had read that on this site. Bernie might be in over his head.

:rolleyes: You either didn't read the correct article... or you are lacking in comprehension !!!

"This comment was followed by whispers in F1 circles that team management may have informed the latest meeting of the FOTA alliance that Renault engines will not be available to customer teams beyond 2009".

:p : Good luck on finding a link on future posts...Why don't you just provide a link and stop being rude?

Nothing is official. Just sit on your hands and wait.

Wasted Talent
22nd January 2009, 19:58
RBS just posted some unfavorable figures

Unfavourable???

They are now mainly owned by the Government. No money for sponsorship once any current deals finish I would think

WT

ArrowsFA1
22nd January 2009, 20:46
;) Yep... there has been speculation as to "which team" will be next to go.

The Renault article is only the latest...
Indeed, but speculation seems to be the currency of the moment.

wedge
23rd January 2009, 00:09

From my sources that figure is about right.

One of my work colleague's partner works for Renault as a fabrictor. It's been a scary few weeks because with the reduced rate of development of the cars due to banning testing therefore requires less manpower. But the consensus now is that F1 teams have been overstaffed.

The real danger is when Carlos Ghosn et al decide to call it quits and then Renualt will be in the same situation as Honda are now.

ChrisS
23rd January 2009, 06:43
Unfavourable???

They are now mainly owned by the Government. No money for sponsorship once any current deals finish I would think

WT

you would think, but no

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7843258.stm

23rd January 2009, 12:14

:p : Good luck on finding a link on future posts...

The one I read said -

"For a number of weeks we have been hearing that job losses are to take place from within the Renault F1 Enstone facility.

According to sources, the team began a 30 day consultation process on January 7th and 100 staff are to be made redundant either through voluntary or compulsory means.

It has been suggested that the aero department will take the brunt of the cuts due to FIA cost cutting measures with regards to wind tunnel usage.

Renault confirmed to ESPN Racing-Live.com that they are in the process of restructuring "as a consequence of the rule changes in F1" and that the plan "comprises of a certain number of redundancies."

The team also confirmed that they have a staff committee "working on how to effectively put in place the restructure of the company" but could not comment further"

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090122115744.shtml

There isn't another article about job losses at Renault on that site.

So, again, can you provide the link?

trumperZ06
23rd January 2009, 15:23

:rolleyes: Ahh come-on Tamburello,

You were questioning specific information...

"Renault telling FOTA they wouldn't be supplying customers engines" after this year!!!

;) The referenced article from F1-Live.com "Whispers doubt Renault future"... was explicate !!!

:p : Including a comment on the percise number of people to go !!!

23rd January 2009, 15:30
:rolleyes: Ahh come-on Tamburello,

You were questioning specific information...

"Renault telling FOTA they wouldn't be supplying customers engines" after this year!!!

;) The referenced article was explicate !!!

:p : The Aero employment reduction was a comment, and the referenced article did provide additional detail about the number of people involved.

But where's the link to your "referenced" article?

trumperZ06
23rd January 2009, 15:45
But where's the link to your "referenced" article?

:rolleyes: Geeze.... go to F1-Live.com and look it up !!!

The article is dated... January 22nd, "whispers doubt Renault future" !!!

My computer found it at:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090122153034.shtml

23rd January 2009, 15:51
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090122153034.shtml

Thank you.

trumperZ06
23rd January 2009, 16:09
Williams are probably in a heap of trouble. Their glory days are long gone and when they do achieve success all of the other teams quickly catch up and surpass any of Williams' prior gains. Also, RBS just posted some unfavorable figures and that means less money for any F1 project.

Isn't there a contractual obligation to have no less than 20 cars on the grid?
I thought I had read that on this site. Bernie might be in over his head.

Why don't you just provide a link and stop being rude?

Nothing is official. Just sit on your hands and wait.

;( BMW offered to buy into team Williams and were rejected a few years ago.
That likely resulted in Williams position today.

;) The web site and article info was "POSTED" on the third thread.

Comments on Bernie's likely problem if " ONLY 18 cars are on the grid"
were posted earlier, on another thread.

:dozey: That may be why Bernie is scrambling to find a buyer for Team Honda, or trying to induce another entry... even though Bernie denies any need for 10 teams/20 cars.

Knock-on
26th January 2009, 09:54
Why don't you just provide a link and stop being rude?

I just typed up "Whispers doubt Renault future" into Google and it came straight up.

Didn't seem that hard....

CNR
26th January 2009, 10:38
http://blogs.iht.com/tribtalk/sports/f1/?p=549
ING troubles to hit F1 program

The Dutch financial services company, ING Groep, which took an injection of 10 billion euros last year during the financial meltdown has today announced that it has posted its second quarterly loss in a row, this time for 3.3 billion euros. According to reports by Bloomberg, the company will cut 7,000 jobs as it attempts to reduce costs in 2009 by 1 billion euros. The company will also tap into 22 billion euros of Dutch state loan guarantees for its troubled loan portfolio, Reuters reported.
ING is one of the top sponsors in Formula One, with a title sponsorship of the Renault team, and title sponsorship of two races and with track advertising at 14 of the 18 races last year. The company has also had a large marketing campaign connected to its Formula One program over the last couple of years.
As part of the cost cuts the company is cutting its Formula One sponsorship by 40 percent in 2009. An ING spokesperson told the IHT that the company would assess mid-year whether or not to continue the sponsorship beyond 2009. He also said that the 40 percent cut would have to do with all activities that are not included in the company’s contracts with Formula One. In other words, Formula One’s contractually obligated income will remain untouched, but ING will cut down on certain activities - hospitality, for instance, and likely marketing campaigns - that are not part of the contractually obligated deals it has with the Renault team and the FOM.

26th January 2009, 21:05
http://blogs.iht.com/tribtalk/sports/f1/?p=549
ING troubles to hit F1 program

What a shame that some do-gooder/politically correct fools had to ban tobacco sponsorship.

F1 survived previous downturns because of tobacco sponsorship. Now it looks as though hundreds of people could end up unemployed because of it.

I hope the idiots who supported the tobacco ban choke on their quorn as the read the Guardian.

trumperZ06
26th January 2009, 21:07
;) Bernie's "House of Cards" might be falling...

First, it was team Honda withdrawing.

Then Bernie "advanced" funds to Williams to prop up the team.

Now, it looks like Renault will have to "make do" with only 40 percent of the customer support they expected from ING.

:dozey: Bernie first sez it's not important... how many cars are on the grid.

Now he's suggesting the established teams might be allowed to enter THREE cars, to grid twenty cars.

He also said the teams can now get by with less money... that F-1 is pushing reduced co$ts.

Then he says the Big teams should be allowed to spend as much as they want for new development.

:rolleyes: Bernie is running around in a frenzy... offering solutions that he changes (sometimes by 180 degrees) from day to day !!!

:p : Imagine a leprechaun who has just lost his pot of Gold...

that would be Bernie, dashing hither & yawn,

searching to recover the magic, once again.

ioan
26th January 2009, 22:58
:rolleyes: Bernie is running around in a frenzy... offering solutions that he changes (sometimes by 180 degrees) from day to day !!!

:p : Imagine a leprechaun who has just lost his pot of Gold...

that would be Bernie, dashing hither & yawn,

searching to recover the magic, once again.

I think his time has come to disappear from the stage!
It's been many years since the last time he was useful to F1.