PDA

View Full Version : How it SHOULD be done

Daniel
21st January 2009, 15:07
Superb live coverage of the Monte on Eurosport right now. How it should be done in my opinion.

I think this is really going to hurt the WRC. You can say whatever you want to about the quality of the drivers in the IRC but the WRC coverage is just nothing compared to this.....

http://videos.eurosport.com/irc/irc-player.shtml

Barreis
21st January 2009, 15:22
Man, WRC or ISC or whatever are amateurs..

Daniel
21st January 2009, 15:22
Man, WRC or ISC or whatever are amateurs..

:confused:

RS
21st January 2009, 15:27
:confused:

He is agreeing with you Daniel. ISC, not IRC!

Barreis
21st January 2009, 15:27
That's how it should be TV coverage.. But for some reason WRC doesn't have it.

Daniel
21st January 2009, 15:30
He is agreeing with you Daniel. ISC, not IRC!

Oops :p My apologies Barreis

Not sure what it's like online but the coverage on Sky is excellent :D Have you recorded it at home on a VHS tape Ron? :p

RS
21st January 2009, 15:33
Oops :p My apologies Barreis

Not sure what it's like online but the coverage on Sky is excellent :D Have you recorded it at home on a VHS tape Ron? :p

No, I live in the 21st century and it's going on my hard drive recorder :D

RS
21st January 2009, 15:34
You can say whatever you want to about the quality of the drivers in the IRC [/URL]

Well, Toni G seemed pretty puzzled by the pace of the IRC guys.

Daniel
21st January 2009, 15:43

Meeke's pace was especially amazing considering it's his first stage on snow.

No, I live in the 21st century and it's going on my hard drive recorder :D

Unlike some others ;) I'm recording it on Sky+ unlike some less advanced people in the rallying world :D Oh well at least some people have coverage to record unlike others :p

RS
21st January 2009, 15:56
Meeke's pace was especially amazing considering it's his first stage on snow.

Yes, very good. But Meeke has always been a driver with talent but not enough money to get into the 'Pay Drivers Tactics World Championship'

Simmi
21st January 2009, 16:04
It just needs a bit better sound editing so we aren't watching Basso's onboard but hearing Hanninen's co-driver etc. I'd love a few more maned cameras on the stage but a long stage makes it difficult. Maybe the answer is to go for a more manageable shorter stage?

Either way I can't complain too much I really liked watching that. Obviously it costs money but its not inconceivable that with a helicopter and the larger gaps between stages they could do that quite a few times per day.

Daniel
21st January 2009, 16:07
It just needs a bit better sound editing so we aren't watching Basso's onboard but hearing Hanninen's co-driver etc. I'd love a few more maned cameras on the stage but a long stage makes it difficult. Maybe the answer is to go for a more manageable shorter stage?

Either way I can't complain too much I really liked watching that. Obviously it costs money but its not inconceivable that with a helicopter and the larger gaps between stages they could do that quite a few times per day.

Very good points. It is still miles better than the WRC coverage we currently get though :)

Daniel
21st January 2009, 16:10
Yes, very good. But Meeke has always been a driver with talent but not enough money to get into the 'Pay Drivers Tactics World Championship'

Yes. A bit sad isn't it. Well at least he's getting a run in a big championship now and getting noticed. It's a bit of a shame to not see Malcolm investing in GOOD British drivers.

Barreis
21st January 2009, 16:22
Malcolm is investing - in his son..

Daniel
21st January 2009, 16:24
Malcolm is investing - in his son..

That's why I said GOOD :p

Simmi
21st January 2009, 16:52
One more problem I have with the coverage.

Why after just three stages and the leg done and dusted by 4pm do we have to wait until midnight for the days action? Hopefully it wont get lost amongst the Australian Open.

RS
21st January 2009, 17:27
One more problem I have with the coverage.

Why after just three stages and the leg done and dusted by 4pm do we have to wait until midnight for the days action? Hopefully it wont get lost amongst the Australian Open.

I kind of agree, the end of day report is only 15 minutes too, however it is on at 10:45pm UK time, not midnight.

Daniel
21st January 2009, 17:28
I kind of agree, the end of day report is only 15 minutes too, however it is on at 10:45pm UK time, not midnight.

I think Simmi was factoring in the compulsory running over of whatever is on before rallying on Eurosport.

Simmi
21st January 2009, 17:46

You are right RS. I'm sure I saw somewhere that it was at 12. You have to hand it to Eurosport for their live commitment but a 15min highlight package isnt really a very good effort is it. This is especially true when the commentators dont really have a handle on what is going on in the rally. We all have a passion and they just have a few sheets of paper.

Simmi
21st January 2009, 17:47
I think Simmi was factoring in the compulsory running over of whatever is on before rallying on Eurosport.

Yeah it gets shafted for live Timbersports on Eurosport 2!

anthonyvop
21st January 2009, 17:57
Stop complaining.
I have to wait and then download the rallies here.

Daniel
21st January 2009, 17:58
Stop complaining.
I have to wait and then download the rallies here.

You watch rallying and have a Lancia in the garage +2 for you my man :p

StevieWonder
21st January 2009, 18:17

garde was claiming about wrong tyre choice !
the same for alen

for me it is good to see a good performance of Austrian rally driver franz wittmann - pos 9 in the s2000 field with a mitsu !
quite ok

jbmarcus21
21st January 2009, 18:30
Eurosport was great !!!! :)

Leon
21st January 2009, 18:33
good job although I notice two mistakes from the commentator. He called Auriol a double world rally champion and an evo 9 as an evo 10.

overall very good.

hope for more show from gravel events

young walsh
21st January 2009, 19:00
Great coverage and half the show isn't taken up by comparing times with that bloddy "virtual spectator" as it is on the wrc

AndyRAC
21st January 2009, 19:07
It is good coverage, following on from the good start at Valais. How the sport can be shown.
What coverage is the WRC doing this year - more Superspecials?? The WRC/ISC have their heads in the sand.

Lousada
21st January 2009, 19:23
The coverage was fantastic. The cars looked great and the scenery was beautiful. They gave the top10 or so drivers about equal airtime which I liked too.
It will be even harder to watch WRC coverage now without throwing shoes at the tv-screen.

J4MIE
21st January 2009, 21:19
Yes absolutely brilliant coverage and the WRC should be very worried, being able to watch it online is great too as I found out when I was at work, well done Eurosport :up: But maybe having a low-res option would be even better.

Fantastic scenery, weather presenting a challenge, nice cars, shame about the sound as Simmi says couldn't really hear any cars at all except when they were slowing down after the flying finish. Shorter stage would be better for this of course. Just hope that none of their live stages has a problem with being cancelled due to an accident etc, that would be terrible.

Is there a schedule of the stages being broadcast over the next few days?

Raini
21st January 2009, 21:28
Yes absolutely brilliant coverage and the WRC should be very worried, being able to watch it online is great too as I found out when I was at work, well done Eurosport :up: But maybe having a low-res option would be even better.

Fantastic scenery, weather presenting a challenge, nice cars, shame about the sound as Simmi says couldn't really hear any cars at all except when they were slowing down after the flying finish. Shorter stage would be better for this of course. Just hope that none of their live stages has a problem with being cancelled due to an accident etc, that would be terrible.

Tomorrow should be SS5, SS8 Live, not so sure.

J4MIE
21st January 2009, 21:31
Thanks ;)

swordsman
21st January 2009, 21:37

Man, do you know about Eurosport Player? It's an online player for Eurosport, Eurosport II and Eurosport News. Costs around 40€ per year. I've got it and I love it - and you can choose, quality: normal, good, best (where best is ~DVD-resolution). I recommend it!

RS
21st January 2009, 21:47

http://www.ircseries.com/html/Tv_times.asp

Note that these times are CET (one hour ahead of GMT)

A.F.F.
21st January 2009, 21:51
How it should be done?

I think Hänninen showed at the first leg how it should be done :D

Janez
21st January 2009, 21:58
I wasn't very setisfied with the all thing...but muuuch better than nothing.

I see rally coverage woth ski downhill coverage, also bad terain, high speed... OK, there are longer distances in rally, but on the other site there is possibility of onboard cameras.

But you need to start somewhere and let's hope for the best tomorrow and later...

Simmi
21st January 2009, 22:00
Thanks ;)

I take it this has convinced you to attend the Scottish round then Jamie?

I'm definately going to make the trip up for a few days.

J4MIE
21st January 2009, 22:04
I was always going to go to the Scottish, Stirling is less than an hour from here, I'll go there straight from the RAC to do a bit of a recce ;) And I am planning on going to Barum and Sanremo as well. And also perhaps even the Azores if Jonathan doesn't get Sardinia sorted out :p :

Thanks for that chaps, will have to look into subscribing online, cheaper than Sky, but not sure how it would run on my internet connection here.

cosmicpanda
21st January 2009, 22:41
Why the WRC can't do this is beyond me.

MrJan
21st January 2009, 23:24
I'm not actually a fan of live stages, you usually don't get to hear stuff and it's difficult to cut well. That said this is well put together coverage, Martin Haven is a commentator that I actually like and it seems like they aren't treating you like idiots as tends to happen with 'World Rally on Dave'

TBH though I'd far rather that they wait until the last day of the rally and just put together a decent review of about an hour. 15 minutes is not really worth the effort IMO.

cosmicpanda
22nd January 2009, 01:26
I was slightly frustrated that they quit covering the cars with the helicopter before they got to the snow. I wanted to see the snow.

Fantasising slightly here but this is how I would like live coverage to work, all based on the internet:

1) Five minute updates every half hour, on video. Should be taken from the service park, road sections, regroups and stage ends.

2) A daily recap as well.

3) Live GPS tracking with split and overall times.

4) Streaming onboard cameras. Streaming eye-in-the-sky.

5) Rally radio to provide expert commentary.

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 01:28
I was slightly frustrated that they quit covering the cars with the helicopter before they got to the snow. I wanted to see the snow.

They showed the cars in the snow :) But the helicopter did have to move down the mountain due to low cloud which was explained on the telecast

Torsen
22nd January 2009, 02:43
wow...i couldn't DISAGREE more with the original poster....

Helicopter cam's are ok for once and a while otherwise they make the cars look way to slow especially on tarmac... the heli views in WRC in new zealand are cool cuz they show the dirt flying up due to something called torque... S2000 cars really don't need anything making them appear slower or even more under powered...

some of the inside the car views are horiably placed and don't show the road at all.... not enough road side camera views... and need exterior mounted cameras...

the intro guy stumbles all over the place and called the IRC the intercontenital rally CHAMPIONSHIP... doesn't even know his own crap...

nobody wants to see live footage of 1 out of 3 stages... we want to see action packed highlights of all three...

seriously, horriable production...

Torsen
22nd January 2009, 02:50
these stages cannot be the same ones used in the WRC when they were in MC... they might as well be on the interstate... the roads are SOOO straight...

once they got up into the snow/mountains it got slightly more curvy, but by then they were driving like grandmas around hairpins...

seriously, i love rally but come on... i just can't believe i'm mostly alone with my observations...

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 03:05

Helicopter cam's are ok for once and a while otherwise they make the cars look way to slow especially on tarmac... the heli views in WRC in new zealand are cool cuz they show the dirt flying up due to something called torque... S2000 cars really don't need anything making them appear slower or even more under powered...

some of the inside the car views are horiably placed and don't show the road at all.... not enough road side camera views... and need exterior mounted cameras...

the intro guy stumbles all over the place and called the IRC the intercontenital rally CHAMPIONSHIP... doesn't even know his own crap...

nobody wants to see live footage of 1 out of 3 stages... we want to see action packed highlights of all three...

it's his first time doing IRC commentary, he does many other championships and does them quite well.

Yes it could have been better but the WRC coverage is a lot worse and the commentary is a lot worse also. I'm sure the bugs will be ironed out for the next round. Considering this is new for Eurosport I think they did well.

You seem to be in the minority here, people want to see stages live and not crappy highlights packages like we get in the WRC.

cosmicpanda
22nd January 2009, 04:30
these stages cannot be the same ones used in the WRC when they were in MC... they might as well be on the interstate... the roads are SOOO straight...

once they got up into the snow/mountains it got slightly more curvy, but by then they were driving like grandmas around hairpins...

seriously, i love rally but come on... i just can't believe i'm mostly alone with my observations...

The third stage was used in the WRC in the last few years. The others I don't think have been used for a while.

I think all of today's stages were used last year, while the first stage of the third leg also hasn't been used for years.

People who are going to correct me if I'm wrong: am I right? :)

RS
22nd January 2009, 07:40

Lol.

I can only agree with you on two points.

- The incar camera angles on some of the cars certainly do need work, especially Vouilloz's car.
- I too would like highlights of all the stages, but they did show some brief footage from stages 1&2 at the beginning of the programme and there was a highlights programme last night (albeit only 15 minutes) but at least that was a report of what actually happened and not the ridiculous scripted nonsense you see on the WRC highlights when they are reading "as live" something which happened 7 hours ago. On balance, I would rather have one live stage per day and a small roundup of the other stages than just highlights.

S2000 cars are neither slow, nor look slow. They are somewhere in between WRCs and classic Grp Ns on pace. I am pretty sure some of the 'stars' in some of the 'teams' in WRC couldn't have won Monte SS3 yesterday, even driving their WRCars. The footage was good to watch, they were doing some nice sliding on the wide flowing section near the start in particular and I find helicpoter footage much more revealing than watching just one or two static cameras by the roadside.

The commentary was not perfect, but not bad either. He made some mistakes, but you have to remember there is no script. Try giving Paul King of WRC fame no script and then try to present the WRC programming!

The stages, stage 3 was quite wide and open at the beginning but you also had twisty sections and some snow. Rallying is all about variety, or so it should be. You will recognise the more classic Monte stages such as Col de Turini on Friday night.

On balance, I think live programming is the only way to make rallying appealing to the general population on tv. It has huge potential, imagine the last stage of a rally where 3 or 4 drivers are fighting for the lead, they can switch between them all throughout the stage comparing splits, it could go down to the finish line and you could see it live! Of course, that might not be possible in WRC where the winner is usually decided after one or two stages and the gaps are minutes and not seconds.

Roy
22nd January 2009, 07:40

Why is this not working on my PC? Any idea's?

Gard
22nd January 2009, 07:53

Finally something to agree on. the IRC (italian/french tarmac championchip) is to boring. If you played the video with some calm music, it would appear as a travel program or something. some cars crusing along in the hillside.

s2000 are lame and rally with these looks stupid on tarmac :angryfire

At least bring on some desent cars like M3 and 911

sasamsa
22nd January 2009, 08:02

Why is this not working on my PC? Any idea's?

Try a different browser. Doesnt work in firefox for me.

I like live stages like this. With onboard+helicopter+road side.
Only thing wrc showed live was short ss.

RS
22nd January 2009, 08:20
Finally something to agree on. the IRC (italian/french tarmac championchip) is to boring. If you played the video with some calm music, it would appear as a travel program or something. some cars crusing along in the hillside.

Disagree. I take it you didn't watch the live stuff yesterday? Have you not seen any WRC tarmac events recently? They slide even less, despite introduction of a tyre designed specifically to make the cars slide and dropping front and rear active diffs.

swordsman
22nd January 2009, 08:41
Rally must be live - as all really successful sports are covered live. The audience wants intense heats where you can easily understand what happens. That makes the demands on the commentary and production very high - but ANY way to cover it live on TV is a good first step. If must be live. Period.

Also, I think good online coverage is important including tracking. Wrote a blog post on this yesterday night if anyone wanna read, saw this morning that cosmicpanda has really similar opinions posted in the matter posted here afterwards. I guess everyone wants to go in the same direction...

Roy
22nd January 2009, 08:45
Try a different browser. Doesnt work in firefox for me.

I like live stages like this. With onboard+helicopter+road side.
Only thing wrc showed live was short ss.

Thanx,
It will works in IE

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 08:46

Tbh I think you're lame and you look stupid on tarmac :angryfire

Personally I think they should mandate totally screwed up suspension geometry (think 15 degrees of camer and 5 degrees of toe in) to make the cars more exciting to watch for our Norwegian friends :rolleyes: I bet if you played hymns over the WRC it would look just like Songs of Praise :)

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 08:48

I should always point out that day 1 of the Monte in the WRC used to have some fairly open stages also. If the roads were so straight then why was there such a big difference in times even between drivers on the same tyres? :)

J4MIE
22nd January 2009, 08:54
Can't believe all the criticism I'm reading here this morning!! :eek:

For those who are saying the commentary is terrible, why don't you watch the coverage today with the sound off and try to do your own, it is VERY difficult and you could see he was struggling at points with the information given to him, but that's what happens when it is live. Much prefer to watch that than wait and get the "fake live" commentary wrc-style.

As for the cars, they are what they are, the idea isn't to make them as fast as wrc cars but to make them cheaper while not being proper group n which as I'm sure you saw when the first Lancer was finishing the stage yesterday and sounded terrible. If you have seen a S2000 live in stage then they do look good, sound good and that's enough to me. If I am standing in the middle of a forest or a mountain pass it doesn't matter to me whether it is a wrc being 5 seconds/km faster, if it is being driven with style and the driver is really trying I will watch any car :)

I think some people's expectations are too high......

Gard
22nd January 2009, 09:05
Disagree. I take it you didn't watch the live stuff yesterday? Have you not seen any WRC tarmac events recently? They slide even less, despite introduction of a tyre designed specifically to make the cars slide and dropping front and rear active diffs.

I watched the live stuff and the coverage was ok. WRC has something to learn here. BUT... generally rallying on tarmac is dull. It doesn't have to be, that's why I reffered to M3's and 911's. It also is dull in WRC and with s2000 it's even worse.

Put in the booster, twice the torque and the Loebs, the Latvalas and the Solbergs and it may be OK

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 09:07
I watched the live stuff and the coverage was ok. WRC has something to learn here. BUT... generally rallying on tarmac is dull. It doesn't have to be, that's why I reffered to M3's and 911's. It also is dull in WRC and with s2000 it's even worse.

Put in the booster, twice the torque and the Loebs, the Latvalas and the Solbergs and it may be OK

I think the difference in talent is nowhere near what you think. I think Loeb and co would have struggled to win that stage in the changing conditions yesterday.

A.F.F.
22nd January 2009, 09:07

You can always choose NOT to watch it.

Roy
22nd January 2009, 09:16
Good images, Only its is pity navigator voice is not always by good car.

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 09:25
Can't believe all the criticism I'm reading here this morning!! :eek:

For those who are saying the commentary is terrible, why don't you watch the coverage today with the sound off and try to do your own, it is VERY difficult and you could see he was struggling at points with the information given to him, but that's what happens when it is live. Much prefer to watch that than wait and get the "fake live" commentary wrc-style.

As for the cars, they are what they are, the idea isn't to make them as fast as wrc cars but to make them cheaper while not being proper group n which as I'm sure you saw when the first Lancer was finishing the stage yesterday and sounded terrible. If you have seen a S2000 live in stage then they do look good, sound good and that's enough to me. If I am standing in the middle of a forest or a mountain pass it doesn't matter to me whether it is a wrc being 5 seconds/km faster, if it is being driven with style and the driver is really trying I will watch any car :)

I think some people's expectations are too high......

Definitely!

Martin Haven is a great commentator, he really is but you can't simply expect someone who usually does the WTCC to immediately know who everyone is and so on when you've just started doing the commentary.

S2000 cars sound gorgous in real life :)

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 09:33
Ha! Full stage with Kopecky on the Monte. Now that's how it's done.

miksu
22nd January 2009, 13:35
IRC and the coverage rules!! Its much more interesting to watch than WRC. lets see 2010 again, but next year IRC is the main series for me to watch :)

Simmi
22nd January 2009, 13:52
That was nice to see Kopecky skate the Fabia through the stage this morning from the 'copter! I think it fits together well with the first split and the final split format. Ideally I think a 2nd split in the middle of the stage with another camera guy would have been perfect.

I think Daniel/Jamie are right in that the commentary is only sometimes a problem because he simply isnt getting the info. I mean to start the show saying Meeke is the leader is pretty inexcusable really but there should be someone sorting him out with results.

It also sounds like he is looking at a tiny monitor. I could see every puncture yesterday on a 46inch telly but Martin clearly hasnt got that.

It does just lack a decent highlights package but on the plus side the on-board stuff was better placed today. Hopefully the next show wont be a carbon copy following Kopecky...

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 14:00
That was nice to see Kopecky skate the Fabia through the stage this morning from the 'copter! I think it fits together well with the first split and the final split format. Ideally I think a 2nd split in the middle of the stage with another camera guy would have been perfect.

I think Daniel/Jamie are right in that the commentary is only sometimes a problem because he simply isnt getting the info. I mean to start the show saying Meeke is the leader is pretty inexcusable really but there should be someone sorting him out with results.

It also sounds like he is looking at a tiny monitor. I could see every puncture yesterday on a 46inch telly but Martin clearly hasnt got that.

It does just lack a decent highlights package but on the plus side the on-board stuff was better placed today. Hopefully the next show wont be a carbon copy following Kopecky...

Yeah I suspect Martin has a small TV as he was saying he was having difficulty seeing the numbers. I guess the live IRC coverage is just in its infancy so they won't be fully kitted up just yet. I suspect they'll have a nice big TV for Martin next time and perhaps the results given to Martin will be more accurate.

Oh yes and the onboard from Kopeckys car was well placed being a roof mounted camera and not a in car camera. I'm definitely going to save todays coverage on my Sky+ box. It's the best coverage I've seen for sometime.

It was refreshing to not have someone talking over the coverage all the time and just letting the excellent footage tell the story. I mean who needs to be told that someone is sliding wide when you are watching the same footage the commentator is?

Waldrons11
22nd January 2009, 14:11

I agree too, the live stages are all well and good, but unless they are done properly (with more static cameras), to the average motorsport fan and non rally obsessive it just looks boring. But then that is why live TV isn't possible for the WRC, its just too expensive to make it work. Fair play to Eurosport for giving it a go though. It was tried on the WRC several times a few years ago, but the sums just didn't add up, if the WRC were able to make money out of it, then don't you think live TV would be used? Forget about your venemous anti-WRC/ISC campaigns for a minute and think about it, if enough people were interested in watching live rallying, then more channels worldwide would have been willing to pay for it and it would happen, period. Unfortunately in todays economic climate, I can't see it happening for a while in WRC. It works on IRC because Eurosport are willing to pay for it and do it as basically as possible.

For an example of a live stage done well, just think back to the drama of Margam Park in 2003, I think Ben Edwards was commentating, now that was good coverage.

RS
22nd January 2009, 14:14
Martin Haven did make some errors this morning, but I think this may have been because the previous stage was actually still running when Kopecky started that one. Other than that he did display some good knowledge of rallying history.

Kopecky's onboard was good, it seems the cameras are just quite difficult to place in the 207.

RS
22nd January 2009, 14:19
I
For an example of a live stage done well, just think back to the drama of Margam Park in 2003, I think Ben Edwards was commentating, now that was good coverage.

That is true, yes. And they used to do live stages from the spectator Sunday on Rally GB too. But these stages were much easier because they were relatively short and in stately homes/country parks.

IRC is more revolutionary because they show complete, proper, stages live. You get more of a sense of speed from the onboards but it is not possible to show just those because the signal breaks through the trees.

Sadly, ISC/WRC promised us much and gave us little.

Incidentally, Monte is not only on Eurosport this year but some "normal" channels in Europe too.

sasamsa
22nd January 2009, 14:22
Yeah I suspect Martin has a small TV as he was saying he was having difficulty seeing the numbers.
Oh yes and the onboard from Kopeckys car was well placed being a roof mounted camera and not a in car camera.

I thought that was onboard .

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 14:24
I thought that was onboard .

Just checked my recording and it looks roof mounted :p

Rally Power
22nd January 2009, 16:33
IRC is more revolutionary because they show complete, proper, stages live. You get more of a sense of speed from the onboards but it is not possible to show just those because the signal breaks through the trees.

Sadly, ISC/WRC promised us much and gave us little.

Totally agree! Of course these live transmissions aren’t perfect, yet, but they are a major step in order to give our favourite sport the visibility that it deserves, and shows the way for WRC promotion.

Good job IRC!!! :D

Barreis
22nd January 2009, 17:01
It's good for WRC that IRC coverage is that good.. New standards will come.. I hope..

kabouter
22nd January 2009, 17:26
Martin Haven did make some errors this morning, but I think this may have been because the previous stage was actually still running when Kopecky started that one. Other than that he did display some good knowledge of rallying history.
Just watching the coverage of SS 5 now (it's working for me in Firefox by the way) and I have to agree Martin Haven is doing a fine job commenting on live rallying. But could somebody please tell the Eurosport researchers that this is not Kris Meeke's first Rallye Monte Carlo? He even won the S1600 class in 2005...

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 17:36
Just watching the coverage of SS 5 now (it's working for me in Firefox by the way) and I have to agree Martin Haven is doing a fine job commenting on live rallying. But could somebody please tell the Eurosport researchers that this is not Kris Meeke's first Rallye Monte Carlo? He even won the S1600 class in 2005...

Hey Kabouter!

kabouter
22nd January 2009, 17:48
Hey Kabouter!

Hi Daniel :wave:

I think Škoda are happy with their decision to do IRC. One stage in the Monte gives them more tv coverage than a full WRC season probably would have done...

miksu
22nd January 2009, 18:02
It's good for WRC that IRC coverage is that good.. New standards will come.. I hope..

This is true i think! I hope it will happen like that :)

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 19:08
Hi Daniel :wave:

I think Škoda are happy with their decision to do IRC. One stage in the Monte gives them more tv coverage than a full WRC season probably would have done...

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

gloomyDAY
22nd January 2009, 19:16
Good effort on the part of Eurosport!

Finally, rally coverage that didn't make me wander off or yawn.

For an example of a live stage done well, just think back to the drama of Margam Park in 2003, I think Ben Edwards was commentating, now that was good coverage.This is going to take time. I don't know anyone who did something at their best the first time. Eurosport seems to be reverting back to proper rally coverage and bringing out the fans in full force. Even the newcomers can appreciate the facts, speed, and excitement of live coverage.

I'm just sick of watching WRC coverage and hearing that same tired ol' voice on a script. Luckily I got a chance to see Rally GB in Mexico and had the voiceover in Spanish. :)

Simmi
22nd January 2009, 20:00
I think the basic nature of the broadcasts is quite a good thing. Its so simple it could be done for every single stage and instead of following splits or whatever online we could actually be watching the cars. This could be provided over the internet too. The cameras on the stage could be used to also provide footage for the later highlights package.

All that it is missing is the aforementioned highlights package (not 15mins), a few more static camera men and a bit of a presentational polish and us rally fans are laughing. Thats the way I see it anyway.

urabus-denoS2000
22nd January 2009, 20:07
It is really the closest you can get to the rally without actually being there :D

This is the top rally which I saw and followed the most out of the rallies that I havent spectated ;)
And I fell Im a part of it

sollitt
22nd January 2009, 21:24
Daniel, I agree. We cannot get the live coverage down here in middle earth but the video replay is probably the best, most professional, most interesting rally coverage I've seen in many years.

Nenukknak
22nd January 2009, 21:31
Can't wait for the col-de-turini tomorrow!

J4MIE
22nd January 2009, 21:45
It will be interesting to see what happens with the coverage in the dark :)

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 23:28
Daniel, I agree. We cannot get the live coverage down here in middle earth but the video replay is probably the best, most professional, most interesting rally coverage I've seen in many years.

When you and I agree on something I think there can be no doubt that it's the correct opinion and all other arguments should be disregarded! ;)

Really looking forward to more coverage and to seeing the night stages which the ISC so hated because they look crap on TV......

AndyRAC
22nd January 2009, 23:43
And next week we have the exciting coverage of Rally Ireland.............

We've never had it so good!!

tolis
22nd January 2009, 23:49

Which channel covers rally Ireland?

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 23:51
Which channel covers rally Ireland?

the ISC puts together a package and then pimps it out to the networks who usually do their own voiceover or use the standard English commentary which is woeful.

tolis
22nd January 2009, 23:54
the ISC puts together a package and then pimps it out to the networks who usually do their own voiceover or use the standard English commentary which is woeful.

Thanks Daniel!!!

AndyRAC
23rd January 2009, 00:01

Is there anything worse than 'as live' coverage - 2 days later? Why do they do it?

I'm really looking forward to the Live night stages - give Eurosport credit for trying it.

MrJan
23rd January 2009, 00:27
Is there anything worse than 'as live' coverage - 2 days later? Why do they do it?

No there isn't and the unfortunate thing is that TV execs still haven't realised that probably 70% of their audience believes that the WRC coverage is abysmal.

As I've said before I'm not overly keen on live stages, they tend to drag and show a warped picture of what is going on, but I would far rather watch 1 live stage of this IRC coverage than the reports that you get with WRC ON DAVE

Mitch555
23rd January 2009, 05:24
I don't see why people are complaining about live video. All the more exposure for the sport. And exposure is good. Even though I haven't had the ability to watch it, I look forward to downloading it, or streaming it somewhere.

People can complain that "Oh the S2000 cars are so boring" "Oh the drivers aren't very good" "The cars look slow"

1. I challenge you to go out there and drive faster in those conditions.

2. Congratulations to the IRC & Eurosport for thinking outside the box and trying something which is sort of new, rare, tricky and rewarding for the fans. A lot of you west europeans are spoilt rotten as you guys call under 60 competitors a small entry list, have a rally within 250km of you nearly on every week, for some aussies its more like 1 every 4-8 weeks pending where you live, some countries even bigger waits. For these people, being able to log onto the internet, watch some live footage, its nearly as good as being there, and certainly helps with the "rally bug" (I enjoyed watching Eye in the Sky when it was used in NZ and AUS)

It's definately better than nothing, and what we get offered from ISC/WRC. So lets not bash it until WRC can come out with something better, which somehow I doubt they will...

RS
23rd January 2009, 08:57

Now now Andy, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

AndyRAC
23rd January 2009, 09:13

Yes, guilty as charged!!

No offence to the Irish organisers, but I have the feeling next week's event will be a damp squib.

Daniel
23rd January 2009, 10:06

I've never agreed with that. I think sarcasm is one of the highest forms of wit!

urabus-denoS2000
23rd January 2009, 10:10
Congratulations to the IRC & Eurosport for thinking outside the box and trying something which is sort of new, rare, tricky and rewarding for the fans. A lot of you west europeans are spoilt rotten as you guys call under 60 competitors a small entry list, have a rally within 250km of you nearly on every week, for some aussies its more like 1 every 4-8 weeks pending where you live, some countries even bigger waits. For these people, being able to log onto the internet, watch some live footage, its nearly as good as being there

:up:

ShiftingGears
23rd January 2009, 12:43
I've never agreed with that. I think sarcasm is one of the highest forms of wit!

Or maybe it's a sarcastic statement ;)

J.Lindstroem
23rd January 2009, 14:08
du you know if its possible do see the live coverage from col de turini on the internet or is it published on the irc video site afterwards?

Brother John
23rd January 2009, 14:52
du you know if its possible do see the live coverage from col de turini on the internet or is it published on the irc video site afterwards?

Try this one, however, in French. I don´t know if it will work. :s mokin: http://www.rtbf.be/chatbox/sport_event/rtbf-chatbox.php?id_coverit=

Daniel
23rd January 2009, 21:55
Wow..... just wow..... the coverage on the Col de Turini earlier was excellent. Yeah night stages sure make for crap TV :rolleyes:

RS
23rd January 2009, 22:01
Just watching it now, they have also done a nice wrap-up of the previous 2 days action before the final 2 stages kick off.

Daniel
23rd January 2009, 22:21
Just watching it now, they have also done a nice wrap-up of the previous 2 days action before the final 2 stages kick off.

I hope they pretended it was live :p

RS
23rd January 2009, 22:33
I hope they pretended it was live :p

Lol, of course not, this is IRC, they don't need to feign excitement!

I'm sorry, but anyone who says they don't enjoy this coverage of Turini is lying through their teeth!

F1boat
24th January 2009, 06:25
It was brilliant... Best rally... thing I have ever seen. Possibly best motorsport spectacle on TV... Last night I was watching it just to see can IRC be nice and how is the night rally Monte Carlo, and, boy, I was stunned. I didn't know anything about the IRC, the drivers, the cars, it didn't matter. It was spectacular.
Great Friday night, it was.

Helstar
24th January 2009, 06:50
Absolutely SUPERB. Not the perfection, but we are really close. Congrats to Eurosport ! I didn't go to Monte this year, but except the cold it was almost the same fun lol

Daniel
24th January 2009, 07:01
With all the excitement around the Monte this year I'm sure the ISC will go along with their traditional pretend it's live format, not show anything live other than perhaps some super specials and they will continue to use those great onboard cameras which face back at the driver and co-driver and don't show the car actually doing what it does and giving you a sensation of speed :dozey:

cali
24th January 2009, 07:23
Dunno if somebody from IRC/Eurosport or Martin Haven is reading our forum, but at the beginning of the penultimate stage he told to viewers something like "i'm gonna let you sit back and enjoy the ride without commentary and provide you news from time-to-time". Very nice, they are doing exactly what people are writing about here. Excellent coverage yesterday!

We will see what ISC has to offer in Ireland :vader:

Simmi
24th January 2009, 10:01
It is just a shame the next round will probably only revert back to the highlights package. I dont think they will be doing any live stages from Brazil will they? I didnt really expect them too but I could definately get used to this type of coverage on rallies.

Well done Eurosport!

Daniel
24th January 2009, 10:46
It is just a shame the next round will probably only revert back to the highlights package. I dont think they will be doing any live stages from Brazil will they? I didnt really expect them too but I could definately get used to this type of coverage on rallies.

Well done Eurosport!

From what I heard they will be doing live coverage on other rounds.

HaCo
24th January 2009, 11:09
A gravel rally is nicer to show to 'new' rallyfans than a tarmac (at least when it's not snowing on tarmac :D :D ). It would be good if they did some live broadcast of a gravel rally as well...
Kenya would be great, with the African background, but also Portugal I think. But I think it should be super hot, with lots of duts, great heli footage! :D

DonJippo
24th January 2009, 11:26
From what I heard they will be doing live coverage on other rounds.

Yes from selected events not from all.

Daniel
24th January 2009, 11:34
Yes from selected events not from all.

Better than the ISC coverage though. What live stuff did we get last year? A few SSS's and that was all. To be fair I really liked the live Monte Super Special last year but the rest was boring. :up:

A.F.F.
24th January 2009, 11:44
ISC coverage last year was worse than previous years indeed. I find Eurosport's effort really good, should be a wake-up call for ISC too.

Fischer
24th January 2009, 11:48
The sound of those cars is almost annoying.

wrc_flipper
24th January 2009, 11:54
Better than the ISC coverage though. What live stuff did we get last year? A few SSS's and that was all. To be fair I really liked the live Monte Super Special last year but the rest was boring. :up:

Well around Rally Ireland we will know who gets the WRC Championship Promoter role. If ISC don't get it from whoever else went for the job (possibly Eurosport and ValueAdd group) they may not do a lot for the next two years as they are out of the job! If ISC do get it hopfully they will start as soon as pssoble to promote the championships!

ShiftingGears
24th January 2009, 14:55

Worse than the sound of the WRC's?

piquet20
24th January 2009, 17:05
eurosport's fillol...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72985

Barreis
24th January 2009, 17:28
Good stuff!

Helstar
24th January 2009, 18:59
You must be kidding ... the Fords sound like Toyota Prius when it's runnin on electric mode ...

RS
24th January 2009, 19:47
You must be kidding ... the Fords sound like Toyota Prius when it's runnin on electric mode ...

Yes :D

Out of the S2000s, the Skoda sounds particularly awesome, it even bangs on gearchange under heavy accelleration :)

Daniel
24th January 2009, 20:11

I will not hear someone speak badly of the monotonous fart sound of the Focus WRC! Never!!!!!!!!

Allyc85
24th January 2009, 22:01
Massive well done to Eurosport and all involved with the coverage :D

Got to say I was impressed with how the night stages turned out on live TV as other forms of motorsport have just been a screen full of headlights lol. The cameras were in good places and watching onboard coverage of cars allying into the dark on snow was soo good :D

Your taking the pee arnt you? You should really hear an IRC car live the engines actually sound like they are being thrashed where as WRC cars are very flat sounding.

J4MIE
24th January 2009, 22:05
Anyone have any contact details for Eurosport so wee can tell them how great we think it was? Every little bit of encouragement helps :D

AndyRAC
24th January 2009, 22:22

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72984

Quite promising - I really hope that RSAC Rally Scotland has some live coverage - though hopefully I'll be there watching.
I was going to say that the gauntlet has well and truly been thrown down to the FIA/ISC/WRC - but I can imagine them all being not terribly bothered about this 'lesser series'. Live Superspecials are were the action is at - and no more - and you will be grateful!!

MrJan
24th January 2009, 22:48
Who was the bird interviewing the Arbath principal? She was absolutely awful but I'd have no complaints if we saw more of her :cheese:

AndyRAC
24th January 2009, 22:55
Who was the bird interviewing the Arbath principal? She was absolutely awful but I'd have no complaints if we saw more of her :cheese:

Haven't a clue, some of her questions were inane. Yes, she's a looker, but I want somebody who will ask more than 1 question, then say thank you.

Apart from that, I had no real complaints. Wait until the weekend and the ISC dross.................

cosmicpanda
25th January 2009, 00:33
I will definitely follow the other rounds with live coverage. Maybe I'll end up following the IRC more than the WRC.

This saddens me a bit, as I live in NZ and the IRC doesn't come here.

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 02:07
Looking to the future, it is clear to me that the IRC and WRC will simply be unable to run alongside one another. The only solution has to be some sort of merger.

gloomyDAY
25th January 2009, 06:23
Looking to the future, it is clear to me that the IRC and WRC will simply be unable to run alongside one another. The only solution has to be some sort of merger.Merger? Why? I don't see anything beneficial for the IRC to merge with the WRC.

I think everyone is fed up with WRC's:

-humdrum format
-awful coverage
-absent promoter
-misguided technical regulations

Daniel
25th January 2009, 10:32
Not the perfection, but we are really close.

Certainly. I hope Eurosport have a sit down and look at the coverage and see what worked and what didn't and think of ways to make the coverage even better I can't help but think that having another commentator alongside Martin Haven, perhaps a an ex-rally driver would be good for the English coverage, but then of course you'd have to do that for the each language so perhaps not possible :mark:

Daniel
25th January 2009, 10:33
Dunno if somebody from IRC/Eurosport or Martin Haven is reading our forum, but at the beginning of the penultimate stage he told to viewers something like "i'm gonna let you sit back and enjoy the ride without commentary and provide you news from time-to-time". Very nice, they are doing exactly what people are writing about here. Excellent coverage yesterday!

We will see what ISC has to offer in Ireland :vader:

Yeah that was great. I couldn't help but sit on the couch and wonder if I was dreaming. The pictures really do speak for themselves and Martin understands that unlike some other people.....

PLuto
25th January 2009, 13:05
Anyone have any contact details for Eurosport so wee can tell them how great we think it was? Every little bit of encouragement helps :D

There isnt needed to send them emails. They need feedback from people watching TV and from headmasters of Eurosport. As I know, feedback from Monte was very, very positive :)

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 13:06
Merger? Why? I don't see anything beneficial for the IRC to merge with the WRC.

-humdrum format
-awful coverage
-absent promoter

What I was getting at was making the IRC the WRC, if that makes sense. Having two competing major championships will do neither any favours.

PLuto
25th January 2009, 13:12

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72984

Quite promising - I really hope that RSAC Rally Scotland has some live coverage - though hopefully I'll be there watching.
I was going to say that the gauntlet has well and truly been thrown down to the FIA/ISC/WRC - but I can imagine them all being not terribly bothered about this 'lesser series'. Live Superspecials are were the action is at - and no more - and you will be grateful!!

Yes, Scotland is one of the events, where is live coverage planned. But everything is about money...

Simmi
25th January 2009, 13:24
Next weekend there will be a live stage through the Donegal streets which will be on wrc.com and probably Eurosport too. I think it will take place on Sunday morning.

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3655&desc=Countdown%20to%20Rally%20Ireland

ShiftingGears
25th January 2009, 13:35

-humdrum format
-awful coverage
-absent promoter

Less competition. The IRL/CCWS merger was hardly a marger, as one side dictated the terms of the merger.

AndyRAC
25th January 2009, 16:16
Less competition. The IRL/CCWS merger was hardly a marger, as one side dictated the terms of the merger.

I wonder how long both series can co-exist.
WRC has the name, history and 4-5 drivers.
IRC is new, less restrictive regarding events, rules, tyres, etc

Just watching the WRC preview, and it all seems so 'samey'.

Rally Power
25th January 2009, 17:00
As most of you have already said, the TV and Net coverage of the Monte Carlo were absolutely remarkable and will make history at the rally world. I’m certain at next IRC rounds Eurosport Events amazing job of creating new standards for rally promotion will continue.
Some suggestions to improve Live coverage:

1. Two or three more ground cameras, at the initial and final parts of the
stages; :cool:
2. Split screen display, in order to punctually follow 2 drivers at same time; :s mokin:
3. Multi (cockpit, dashboard and front bumper) on-board switching cameras, to give a even more dynamic view of pilot’s performance. :bounce:

Well done Eurosport and IRC!!! :up:

PLuto
25th January 2009, 17:42
As most of you have already said, the TV and Net coverage of the Monte Carlo were absolutely remarkable and will make history at the rally world. I’m certain at next IRC rounds Eurosport Events amazing job of creating new standards for rally promotion will continue.
Some suggestions to improve Live coverage:

1. Two or three more ground cameras, at the initial and final parts of the
stages; :cool:
2. Split screen display, in order to punctually follow 2 drivers at same time; :s mokin:
3. Multi (cockpit, dashboard and front bumper) on-board switching cameras, to give a even more dynamic view of pilot’s performance. :bounce:

Well done Eurosport and IRC!!! :up:

Nice ideas, but everything is about money. It is about technical details, but this version of TV coverage was very expensive. With your "improving", it should be more more expensive. There are some technological questions, which are difficult to change and difficult to pay...

MrJan
25th January 2009, 18:20

MOstly it would be money and equipment. If the IRC had the name of the WRC then all the things we've been saying which will make coverage better (more cameras etc.) will be brought in. As it is the IRC is only the WRCs wimpy twin in the background.

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 18:30
I wonder how long both series can co-exist.
WRC has the name, history and 4-5 drivers.
IRC is new, less restrictive regarding events, rules, tyres, etc

Just watching the WRC preview, and it all seems so 'samey'.

I simply don't see how they can for any length of time.

Simmi
25th January 2009, 18:53
I simply don't see how they can for any length of time.

Especially if they are rotating rallies on a year by year basis. The casual fan wont have a clue. They will negatively impact upon one another, but at this stage you could also argue it could keep the WRC on its toes and hopefully pressure them into improving their championship.

I would like to see them eventually merge. People (including me) badmouth the WRC on a frequent basis but all everyone really wants is to see it prosper again and be a healthy viable championship.

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 19:46
Especially if they are rotating rallies on a year by year basis.

Exactly.

AndyRAC
25th January 2009, 20:11
Especially if they are rotating rallies on a year by year basis. The casual fan wont have a clue. They will negatively impact upon one another, but at this stage you could also argue it could keep the WRC on its toes and hopefully pressure them into improving their championship.

I would like to see them eventually merge. People (including me) badmouth the WRC on a frequent basis but all everyone really wants is to see it prosper again and be a healthy viable championship.

I quite agree - there are a number of us on here who 'badmouth' the WRC - but it's with good reason. Basically, we were sold a lie - change the Rallies, formats, etc this will give good TV and media coverage. While I didn't like this, I was prepared to go along if it improved the coverage - for a short time it did. However, there was very little Live coverage.
Not only that, but every year came stupid rules which make one scratch your head. Tyre restrictions, route restrictions, etc
Now, look at the IRC - different tyres/compounds, Live TV, etc

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 20:33
I quite agree - there are a number of us on here who 'badmouth' the WRC - but it's with good reason. Basically, we were sold a lie - change the Rallies, formats, etc this will give good TV and media coverage. While I didn't like this, I was prepared to go along if it improved the coverage - for a short time it did. However, there was very little Live coverage.
Not only that, but every year came stupid rules which make one scratch your head. Tyre restrictions, route restrictions, etc
Now, look at the IRC - different tyres/compounds, Live TV, etc

The fact is that the FIA has acted at least a year too late with regard to S2000 and the WRC. It has thus created a dreadful situation for itself — a rival series involving drivers, teams and events that should be part of the WRC as the premier rally championship in the world. This simply cannot continue. But I don't think the situation is insoluble for the FIA. Far from it, in fact. The basis of the WRC's future is surely there already — in the IRC.

A.F.F.
25th January 2009, 20:47
Maybe FIA is wiser than we thought? It let other do the hard work and just pick the pie when it's ready :)

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 20:49
Maybe FIA is wiser than we thought? It let other do the hard work and just pick the pie when it's ready :)

Could be. Good point.

RS
26th January 2009, 08:51
The best solution at the moment would seem to be to scrap the WRC and rename IRC as WRC. Better rules, better mix of events, better tv coverage, more real teams.

If Eurosport are serious about bidding for the WRC promoter tender, then I think they just made a fabulous audition last weekend...

AndyRAC
26th January 2009, 09:04
The best solution at the moment would seem to be to scrap the WRC and rename IRC as WRC. Better rules, better mix of events, better tv coverage, more real teams.

If Eurosport are serious about bidding for the WRC promoter tender, then I think they just made a fabulous audition last weekend...

At the moment, there should only be one winner,......and it ain't ISC - Whose 'coverage' is lazy and formulaic. But we know how the FIA operate.

Simmi
26th January 2009, 10:23
The coverage is lazy and formulaic but part of me still likes the fact that there is some presentation quality to the WRC and it is this area where Eurosport cannot compete in my opinion. Hopefully it is something they can improve upon over time.

Saying that the WRC may be polished, but from a competition point of view, you have to use that great old biblical phrase 'you cant polish a turd'.

If you were to combine the two (taking the best bits from both) you would get this:

WRC: The name and prestige (of an FIA sanctioned World Championship), the history, the remaining minority of the worlds best drivers, Ford and Citroen. Knowledge of running a championship (albeit not always that well) for years.

IRC: Fan support, competitive class of car (with many cars ready to race), a great rules package that hasn't been savaged by cost-cutting, a promoter and championship who think outside the box, Peugeot, Abarth and Skoda, varied and 'exciting' events (SAFARI!!!!! etc), live television expertise (with the willingness to actually try it), and finally the IRC has what I would call 'spirit'. It seems like it is trying to bring back everything good about rallying which is why it has struck a chord with so many rally fans.

So basically if you could combine all these positive aspects into one 'all-new WRC' then you could have a top-level championship that the sport of rallying actually deserves. The big question is who would be the global promoter, and when will the FIA actually grow some balls to make a decision that doesn't take 18-months - because this kills all progress.

In a few years with an improved economic climate the WRC could really rise. Like they say in The Dark Knight, 'the night is always darkest before the dawn'.

J4MIE
26th January 2009, 20:45
Of course, the good thing about the coverage was that none of the live stages were cancelled, this is where problems may occur and I'm sure it will happen at some point during the year, what do they show then?

RS
26th January 2009, 21:14

Max Moseley visited the service park at Monte, seemed to be taking quite an interest in the S2000 cars.

Daniel
26th January 2009, 21:17
Of course, the good thing about the coverage was that none of the live stages were cancelled, this is where problems may occur and I'm sure it will happen at some point during the year, what do they show then?

This problem isn't unique to rallying though. Cricket suffers from the same problems and they just make do with showing old cricket games :)

AndyRAC
26th January 2009, 21:22
It would be interesting to know what the 'Rally Professionals' thought of the event and the coverage. I suspect there would be a difference of opinion between WRC people and say some of the Rally journalists. It will be interesting to read Motorsport News/Autosport this week to see what the feedback was, as until last week Autosport hadn't bothered with it - but they had a decent preview of the IRC season.

sasamsa
30th January 2009, 15:57
Petter Solberg said on rally radio that WRC should have live stages like IRC..
And something about that people need to open their eyes and that WRC should have had live stages long time ago..

Lousada
30th January 2009, 17:20
WRC has had live stages for a few years now, as those superspecials count for the general ranking. The WRC needs more than just live proper stages, it needs an all around rethinking of every aspect.

RS
30th January 2009, 22:05
So ISCs new deal is having an affect already. There is a funky remix of the WRC theme tune :D

I'm sure they've been doing this all along, but on the Ireland coverage this evening I have noticed how all camera shots are specifically framed to focus on the trackside sponsor logos and not the cars or road, sometimes they even just leave the camera pointing at the advertising boards and don't follow the cars!

urabus-denoS2000
30th January 2009, 22:37
At least there are still some interested sponsors! ;)

Simmi
31st January 2009, 12:12
So ISCs new deal is having an affect already. There is a funky remix of the WRC theme tune :D

I'm sure they've been doing this all along, but on the Ireland coverage this evening I have noticed how all camera shots are specifically framed to focus on the trackside sponsor logos and not the cars or road, sometimes they even just leave the camera pointing at the advertising boards and don't follow the cars!

The camera work is totally based around these adverts you are right. Has anyone had an experience on a stage with these boards that annoyed you.

In Ireland 2007 the camera crew turned up about half an hour before the stage ran with their boards, and they moved literally 50 spectators out of the way (including me) so they could place the boards in the place they wanted. People were being forced back into a huge bog or having to move when many had been there waiting for a number of hours.

Then when I watched the coverage back they barely even used that corner! I mean talk about shafting true rally fans!

Also did anyone really have a clue what was going on with Aava's crash from the on-board footage provided? You literally could not see what on earth happened. Extremely poor I felt when you consider it was probably the days major event.

BDunnell
31st January 2009, 12:41
Petter Solberg said on rally radio that WRC should have live stages like IRC..
And something about that people need to open their eyes and that WRC should have had live stages long time ago..

I must say I'm finding it hard to understand why this issue is so crucial. I thought it had been proved that rallying isn't that live TV-friendly a sport and that attempts to make it so have been amongst the reasons for its decline.

RS
31st January 2009, 13:38
I must say I'm finding it hard to understand why this issue is so crucial. I thought it had been proved that rallying isn't that live TV-friendly a sport and that attempts to make it so have been amongst the reasons for its decline.

ISC and FIA colluded to make changes to the format events in order to make them more tv friendly (9-5 schedule, repeated stages e.t.c.) and the tv only seems to have got worse.

The point is that IRC have managed to bring us live proper stages (not stadium superspecials or town centre shows) WITHOUT changing the spirit of rallying.

For me, it is the only way to make rallying look exciting on TV. Not the bull**** commentator pretending that he's doing a live commentary when someone goes off.

mjh
31st January 2009, 13:39

I think people have watched the Monte coverage (which was very good) and extrapolated that live coverage is the answer....

It will be interesting to see if Eurosport bring us live stages from Japan, Kenya and Brazil.

Or if people are still wetting themselves with excitement after watching live coverage of Ypres or Spain.

RS
31st January 2009, 13:45
I think people have watched the Monte coverage (which was very good) and extrapolated that live coverage is the answer....

It will be interesting to see if Eurosport bring us live stages from Japan, Kenya and Brazil.

Or if people are still wetting themselves with excitement after watching live coverage of Ypres or Spain.

I'm certain there won't be live coverage from the three you mention, but Eurosport have already said there will be live coverage from three further rallies this year (including Scotland), more next year, and then all from 2011.

Monte was great, but actually it could have been even better because there were no real fights left going into the final stages. Imagine the potential it has when there are two or three drivers separated by a small amount of time going into the final stage - they will be fighting for split seconds and you can see it all there and then.

I do expect ISC to try and copy this for WRC eventually, but we will all know who the pioneers were :)

Simmi
31st January 2009, 13:46

They wont be doing live stages from these countries. It is obviously a lot easier to work the logistics of live stages in Europe. Kenya probably wont even run as a round of the IRC anyway.

Tomi
31st January 2009, 13:47

Agree, rally will never be a tv sport , but it would not be too difficult to make one 2-3 minutes stage every day of the rally live on tv, and skip the pathetic SSS, it has been done before, long time ago already.

RS
31st January 2009, 13:56
Agree, rally will never be a tv sport , but it would not be too difficult to make one 2-3 minutes stage every day of the rally live on tv, and skip the pathetic SSS, it has been done before, long time ago already.

At least 5 minutes would be better, 2-3 minutes will still be carpark stages. They are doing one in Ireland, should be quite good to watch but it is only 1.5kms, still not real rallying.

mjh
31st January 2009, 14:00
They wont be doing live stages from these countries. It is obviously a lot easier to work the logistics of live stages in Europe. Kenya probably wont even run as a round of the IRC anyway.

Exactly - which is why it puzzles me that people elsewhere in the forum have put foward that IRC should replace or is preferrable o the WRC. But their coverage of the 'world' events is likely to be little different to the WRC. If anything worse - I find the WRC website much better, though I guess that is a matter of taste to some extent.

A lot of people seem to have a downer on the WRC. I know there are big issues to resolve as the sport takes on cost saving measures and there is transition to the new cars. I just think the series is being written off prematurely. Attending the WRC is still a great experience, and it is still much more a world event than the IRC.

We just need Mr bl*dy consistency to retire so we can get excited about who might win the championship each year :p :

Tomi
31st January 2009, 14:01
At least 5 minutes would be better, 2-3 minutes will still be carpark stages. They are doing one in Ireland, should be quite good to watch but it is only 1.5kms, still not real rallying.

that would mean 5 min betveen starting, might take too long if want to show all cars.

JFL
31st January 2009, 14:04
We just need Mr bl*dy consistency to retire so we can get excited about who might win the championship each year :p :
Or maybe we need Citroen to give their Drivers equal equipement! Juniors and M1 and privateers..

Zamppa
31st January 2009, 19:33
Monte was great, but actually it could have been even better because there were no real fights left going into the final stages. Imagine the potential it has when there are two or three drivers separated by a small amount of time going into the final stage - they will be fighting for split seconds and you can see it all there and then.

I do expect ISC to try and copy this for WRC eventually, but we will all know who the pioneers were :)

You know, there was live coverage from the final stage of Rally New Zealand 2007... ;)

There were also the live stages from the Monaco circuit in 2007 and 2008, and from the top of my head Chris Atkinson was battling for third place on both occasions.

Not taking anything away from the excellent Monte Carlo coverage, just reminding the tight rally finishes on live TV have been done before.

RS
31st January 2009, 21:51
You know, there was live coverage from the final stage of Rally New Zealand 2007... ;)

There were also the live stages from the Monaco circuit in 2007 and 2008, and from the top of my head Chris Atkinson was battling for third place on both occasions.

Not taking anything away from the excellent Monte Carlo coverage, just reminding the tight rally finishes on live TV have been done before.

This is true, and Monaco in particular was quite entertaining and good for marketing with the harbour backdrop, but none of these were really proper rally stages.

The final stage from Ireland was supposed to be live on tv I thought, but it is not on Eurosport? Is it just online?

Motorsportfun
1st February 2009, 01:19
Meanwhile, a little step forward was done with a new nice Intro and graphics has been renewed.