PDA

View Full Version : The last straw

cheekycobra
20th January 2009, 23:15
As an avid BTCC and motorsport supporter, It pains me to read that politically correct Britain has hit my sport, and my local venue, in Croft...
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/bsb/news/173357-0/bird_furious_as_croft_future_put_in_doubt.html

It may be to early for a petition etc, but it could soon be time for all motorsport fans to pull together and rid this cr*p from our venues

(Sorry but Im just so mad on reading this that im typing rubbish in anger, but im sure you are as angry as I am).

cos
20th January 2009, 23:25
There was a related petition organised during last year; and judging by the official Government response (http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17266) it doesn't look as though sites like racing circuits or airfields will get any kind of special dispensation.

Having said that, I live within 300m of a football stadium; maybe I should sue the club for them being responsible for my suffering of "noise pollution" every other Saturday? £150,000 would certainly help pay off that student loan...

VkmSpouge
20th January 2009, 23:31
It is ridiculous. I suppose they would have a point if they lived there before it became a race track but somehow I doubt that was the case. Bunch of NIMBYs should be kicked out of court if the courts had any sense.

Dave B
21st January 2009, 08:28
I have absolutely ZERO sympathy with anybody who moves near to an existing facility - be it a racetrack, airport, factory or whatever - then complains about the noise.

If they didn't realise there was a racetrack in the vacinity when they bought their houses then the court action should be against their estate agent or optician, not the circuit.

BDunnell
21st January 2009, 09:10
I have absolutely ZERO sympathy with anybody who moves near to an existing facility - be it a racetrack, airport, factory or whatever - then complains about the noise.

With commercial airports, there is one case in which I think sympathy is justified — if the noise footprint of the airport is altered in such a way as to affect different areas that previously only suffered from a bit of aircraft noise. This will soon happen if different approach and climbout paths to and from Heathrow are implemented. But generally I agree with you.

Bezza
21st January 2009, 13:32
Think I might move to Croft and complain too, what an easy £150,000!!

This country is becoming a joke.

Eurotech
21st January 2009, 16:04
At least the £150,000 means that the grupy old buggers can move to somewhere else at stop ruining other peoples enjoyment.

Neil Adams
21st January 2009, 20:43
the case should have never gone to court,
the person sueing the circuit is the circuit owners former wife!

convaluted reasons behind the case imo

LiamM
21st January 2009, 21:09
Think I might move to Croft and complain too, what an easy £150,000!!

This country is becoming a joke.

Ah don't worry, I live near a busy road if I open my window I can hear the traffic.....anyone think I have a case against the Highways Agency?

PDS
21st January 2009, 23:06
If the wind is in the right direction, it is amazing what you can hear!

VX_Rules
22nd January 2009, 15:44
Idiots.

Eurotech
22nd January 2009, 16:55
Idiots.

Amen to that.

WSRfan82
23rd January 2009, 07:41
if i dont remember rightly did somethign like this happen at brands were there is a house at the back of dingdell and the owners got a sound thing on the GP track.

im a big fan of croft and its annoyed me, its plan and simple if you dont like the noise motorsport makes why the hell move there in the first place...stupied idiots

i bet it these blumming people after a green planet moving there to stop motorsports lol

Eurotech
23rd January 2009, 17:13
that is a valid point because I dn't know about any of you, but If I was moving to a house where I wanted peace and quiet then I would check the are first for Airports and Racetracks. Its not like Croft os a small place that you could just drive past without realising...

This is what annoys me because its these stupid f***ing idiots who move to these places and then complain when there are cars running on the racetrack.

Would you move next to a railway line and then complain to the train company if they ran trains on it every fortnight? No. Its the same principle.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DazzlaF1
24th January 2009, 13:57
How daft is that, what a ridiculous case to bring to court. What are they going to do now, campaign to get the circuit shut down for good? would'nt be suprised if they tried.

Plus they only have 2 big race meetings every year, the BTCC and British Superbikes, so its going to be a bit noisy for 2 weekends, just TWO weekends a year and still people have the nerve to complain, id love to see them come out in front of the 30'000+ people that go to these 2 meetings every year and say so.

What nutters.

BTCC2
24th January 2009, 19:26
What an absoulte disgrace!

Hopefully common sense will prevail here.

kmchow
26th January 2009, 01:19
The Vancouver Molson Indy (CART/openwheel) race also got a lot of flak during the years they were in Vancouver for the very same thing. Residents complained about the noise. The organizers tried to compromise by offering general admittance tickets, cutting back track time and offered to put up residents in hotels away from the track. But even some residents were not satisfied.

Les
26th January 2009, 13:03
What an absoulte disgrace!

Hopefully common sense will prevail here.

it hasn't - they have lost the appeal :(

VkmSpouge
26th January 2009, 14:33
Bad decision not just for common sense but for motor racing as a whole in the UK.

Eurotech
26th January 2009, 16:40
what will become of Croft now?

Thruxton is limited to just 12 days of motorsport per year for the same reason. It surely can't be happening again.

BTCC2
26th January 2009, 17:24
So what happens now?

Dickie L'Amour
26th January 2009, 17:29
Just read this on btcc.net and Alan Gow has called it a "real travesty of justice". It is awful what this country is turning into. The way I have read it though is that the residents who compakined will get less compesnation but their legal bills to be covered by Croft will be substantial (around £700,000)!!!

Croft will be limited to 40 noisy days a year. That of course could have severe implications for their revenue streams but hopefully they can find a way as Thruxton has had to in having its competitive days cut back.

That does not make this decision any less galling. I'd love to hear the judge's reasons for siding with the family.

BTCC2
26th January 2009, 20:33
According to the local news it was affecting their lives greatly due to the large amounts of excessive noise produced by the circuit.

Don't bloody move there then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thetrooper_uk
27th January 2009, 20:35
It goes to show that if you have the right legal team anything is possible. If you look on google maps the only house that is that close is a farm house and farm building. So maybe Croft can sue them for the smell of Sh#t that comes from the farm on a daily basis.

It's a sad day when these kind of people get their way and lots of other people will suffer and possibly lose their jobs if Croft has to close. If it is the owners former wife then the judge should have realised she was up for revenge and throw the case out.

DazzlaF1
27th January 2009, 22:49
According to the local news it was affecting their lives greatly due to the large amounts of excessive noise produced by the circuit.

Don't bloody move there then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took the words right outta my mouth there, I bet they dont complain now then now their mortgage is pretty much paid off.

Absolutely ridiculous

Dave B
28th January 2009, 07:50
it hasn't - they have lost the appeal :(

The press release probably speaks volumes by what they don't say:

26th January 2009
For immediate release
CROFT CIRCUIT - OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Croft Promosport Ltd is extremely disappointed with the Court of Appeal's decision today in relation to the recent High Court Judgment, which has serious implications for the circuit and the motor racing industry generally

We are reviewing the position carefully and would not wish to make any further comment at this stage.

ENDS

:mad:

52Paddy
28th January 2009, 08:59
A sad, sad day for British Motorsport. :(

In a way, I hope it is the owner's former wife trying to get back at him. That way, we know that noise pollution isn't a problem and she's just acting the toolbox. Its a worse scenario in my opinion, if they are sincere about their difficulties dealing with the noise, especially considering that the track goes way back to the 1920s. It was still an airfield back then, but motorsport did take place at the venue.

VX_Rules
28th January 2009, 15:55
Thats the end of Croft then because of some spiteful dumb arse cow, and the courts decide fit to prosecute the circuit... This country is a shambles.

reidy_fan
28th January 2009, 19:55
well over 11 thousand of us have joined a group on facebook to show solidarity and support. the battle may be over but the war will be won

Bezza
29th January 2009, 10:15
reidy_fan whats the group called I will join up

I just hope Oulton Park doesn't go the same way, although there is barely a house in sight round there!

LiamM
29th January 2009, 11:21
Save Croft Circuit

71minus2
29th January 2009, 12:33
I can see a large number of "The Watson family are money grabbing whores" posters around the circuit this year!

Makes me want to drive the 200+ miles to the circuit to join in with the protest, air horns at the ready.

71minus2
29th January 2009, 12:40
family details including full address and phone number available for free on 192.com

wedge
29th January 2009, 16:01
According to Autosport:

"The residents, who live within 300 metres of the track, are Derek and Julia Watson and their daughter, Jill Wilson - the ex-wife of Jimmy Wilson, whose Croft Classic and Historic Motor Sports company brought motorsport back to the North Yorkshire venue in 1994.

The circuit was refused permission to lodge a further appeal with the House of Lords and is now exposed to potential claims from other local residents."

Seems like someone didn't want to be brought up with a bunch of petrolheads.

hicksy
29th January 2009, 16:11
I cant believe that the reason that they moved there in the first place was due to a former relative gaining employment at Croft and now that are biting the hand that feeds them. Someone gets a job at the circuit, they move in 300 meters from the circuit (so can even walk to work) then complain about the noise from their place of employment. I wonder if that person is still working there and earning money from Croft.

I am due to go to Croft in May in my other role as photograper. Maybe I can make a case that while shooting the races, my ear drums were damaged by the noise and also sue the circuit.

ShiftingGears
30th January 2009, 11:48
Sometimes the idea of some people getting put down for the common good is quite appealing.

tyreman2
31st January 2009, 15:55
the case should have never gone to court,
the person sueing the circuit is the circuit owners former wife!

convaluted reasons behind the case imo

What's that saying about a woman scorned?