PDA

View Full Version : I'm outta here, there are too many arabs in my plane

donKey jote
20th January 2009, 20:58
We're used to headlines like this coming from the US, so why the thread?

Well this flight wasn't in the US, but in Istanbul (Turkey ;) ) :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry I could only find a german (http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,602360,00.html) link:
A US-citizen caused a Turkish Airlines flight from Istanbul to New York to be delayed by several hours, after expressing his safety concerns to a stewardess ("I don't want to fly with these arab looking and arab dressed passengers") and leaving the machine. This forced the disembarkment of the rest of the passengers for a full search of the plane. He eventually got a flight to London instead.

I can't help but ask myself what someone like this was doing in Turkey in the first place :dozey:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Roamy
20th January 2009, 21:02

Well this flight wasn't in the US, but in Istanbul (Turkey

Sorry I could only find a german (http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,602360,00.html) link:
A US-citizen caused a Turkish Airlines flight from Istanbul to New York to be delayed by several hours, after expressing his safety concerns to a stewardess ("I don't want to fly with these arab looking and arab dressed passengers") and leaving the machine. This forced the disembarkment of the rest of the passengers for a full search of the plane. He eventually got a flight to London instead.

I can't help but ask myself what someone like this was doing in Turkey in the first place

He was getting gold teeth ! :eek: :o :p

Tomi
20th January 2009, 21:09

I can't help but ask myself what someone like this was doing in Turkey in the first place :dozey:

cowardness gets amusing dimensions sometimes.

steve_spackman
20th January 2009, 21:10

this is the kinda person that gives the US a bad name and makes them look like a bunch a prats

next time i fly to the US i will say that i dont want to fly with these stupid ignorant yanks...thats fair dont ya think

Tomi
20th January 2009, 21:14
this is the kinda person that gives the US a bad name and makes them look like a bunch a prats

next time i fly to the US i will say that i dont want to fly with thiese stupid ignorant yanks...thats fair dont ya think

Dont forget to order muslim food for the flight :)

steve_spackman
20th January 2009, 21:16
Dont forget to order muslim food for the flight :)

and muslim food would be?

MrJan
20th January 2009, 21:19

What Muslims eat?

Jag_Warrior
20th January 2009, 21:19

next time i fly to the US i will say that i dont want to fly with these stupid ignorant yanks...thats fair dont ya think

Yeah, seems like there's at least one in every bunch, eh? ;)

donKey jote
20th January 2009, 21:20

a beer and a hotdog ? :laugh:

Tomi
20th January 2009, 21:21

when you buy your ticket, tell you eat only "halal" food, you might get an interesting welcome when you arrive.

Rani
20th January 2009, 21:26

I agree. Sadly though, racists come from all around not just from the US.

steve_spackman
20th January 2009, 21:40
when you buy your ticket, tell you eat only "halal" food, you might get an interesting welcome when you arrive.

or haram ;)

beef with fruit is very nice...so is Basturma

kababs are great after a heavy night on the town

Easy Drifter
20th January 2009, 22:14
Steve: Next time you fly on Saudi Airlines I suggest you order Ham and Eggs or a Pork Sandwich. :D

steve_spackman
20th January 2009, 22:24
a beer and a hotdog ? :laugh:

the only contribution the US has given to world cuisine is a big mac and a whopper

Rani
20th January 2009, 23:26
the only contribution the US has given to world cuisine is a big mac and a whopper
I wouldn't be proud of fish and chips as naional food, either...

Camelopard
20th January 2009, 23:28
Steve: Next time you fly on Saudi Airlines I suggest you order Ham and Eggs or a Pork Sandwich. :D

So you have flown EL AL have you? :)

Camelopard
20th January 2009, 23:33
What about Australia, we must be the only country that eats it's "Coat of Arms".

Mind you I don't eat 'roo, see far too many of them rotting on the side of the road after being hit by vehicles and being left to die.......

Emu on the ofter hand is quite good even if it does taste like chicken. :)

http://www.dest.gov.au/archive/HIGHERED/eippubs/eip02_4/coat_of_arms.gif

steve_spackman
20th January 2009, 23:39

you forgot the mushy peas

Camelopard
20th January 2009, 23:40

I'm quite partial to Cajun myself, does that count as american food?

Speaking of which how did Avery Island (the home of Tabasco) cope with Katrina?
Nearly stepped on a little 'gator in their wildlife reserve a few years ago, scared the crap out of me!

steve_spackman
20th January 2009, 23:42

whats the national food of Israel?

Rani
20th January 2009, 23:47
whats the national food of Israel? dead Gazian??
Yeah. Also, the secret ingredient in our matazah bread is christian children's blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libel_against_Jews

Camelopard
20th January 2009, 23:47

Hey, I don't know if that question is quite kosher...................

Yes I know, don't give up my day job! :)

Camelopard
21st January 2009, 00:03
More plane related sillyness, wouldn't you be pee'd of if you were one of the crew and not in on this act.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/21/2470862.htm?section=justin

S African plane crew arrested over drugs haul

Posted January 21, 2009 10:42:00
The crew of a South African Airways plane were arrested after more than 310,000 pounds worth of cannabis and cocaine was found on a Johannesburg-London flight, customs officials said.
Border agency officials found 50 kilograms of cannabis and four kilograms of cocaine in three bags, said an HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) spokesman.
The flight and cabin crew - 10 women and five men - were arrested after the plane landed at London's Heathrow Airport at 8:00am local time.
"When the crew were passing through a customs clearance point... the UKBA (UK Borders Agency) officers found a quantity of cannabis in three suitcases," spokesman Bob Gaiger said.
"As a result of that the entire crew of the plane... were arrested and they're now being held in custody and being interviewed by HMRC," he added, confirming that the pilot was also among those detained.
Further searches revealed a white powder that tested positive for cocaine.
"Interviews will be taking place and will probably go into tomorrow, and then we will decide whether we are going to charge anyone," Mr Gaiger said.
He added that some of those in custody could be released or bailed.
Mr Gaiger also underlined how seriously British customs take such cases.
"HMRC, together with UKBA, play a vital role in the fight to prevent illegal drugs from entering the UK and in protecting our communities from the violence and corruption that always accompany this hideous trade," he said.
- AFP

chuck34
21st January 2009, 00:16
What about Australia, we must be the only country that eats it's "Coat of Arms".

Mind you I don't eat 'roo, see far too many of them rotting on the side of the road after being hit by vehicles and being left to die.......

Emu on the ofter hand is quite good even if it does taste like chicken. :)

http://www.dest.gov.au/archive/HIGHERED/eippubs/eip02_4/coat_of_arms.gif

Does Emu taste like Ostrich? I love me some Ostrich.

Camelopard
21st January 2009, 00:23
Does Emu taste like Ostrich? I love me some Ostrich.

According to this site http://www.eggscape.com/birds.htm they are related,

so one would presume that the taste is similar, although again I'm presuming that in a farmed environment a lot of the flavour would come from what they have been fed.

chuck34
21st January 2009, 00:27
According to this site http://www.eggscape.com/birds.htm they are related,

so one would presume that the taste is similar, although again I'm presuming that in a farmed environment a lot of the flavour would come from what they have been fed.

I knew they were related, that's why I asked. I guess I never thought about the farm raised vs. wild issue. That could change things a lot.

Coffee encrusted Ostrich is to die for. If you ever get a chance to have that, go for it.

Easy Drifter
21st January 2009, 02:41
Never flown El Al but I know enough not to ask. Probably safer than asking on a Saudi plane though.
Cajun cooking yum yum, especially blackened catfish and good Jambalya.
When I go to Mosport there is a restuarant in Lindsay, where I stay, that serves really good Jambalya. About 1/2 hr from the track.
90% of the meat I eat is Buffalo or Elk and some Venison. Elk tonight.

leopard
21st January 2009, 03:20
The original story tells that when being alone, The US is a coward. ;)

rah
21st January 2009, 06:20

There are plenty of terrible foods in the US. But don't lump them all in the same boat. I love chicken fried steak. I was only in the USA for 3 weeks and I put on 5 kg. I put it mostly down to chicken fried steak. I could almost feel my arteries hardening while I ate it.

ChrisS
21st January 2009, 08:04

While I get what you are trying to say I think its worth pointing out that Turks are not Arabs.

So in a way, you are showing the same ignorance as the flight passenger thinking Turk/muslim = Arab ;)

21st January 2009, 12:16

Loaves & fishes?

Rani
21st January 2009, 13:23
Loaves & fishes?
Falafel is usually referred to as the national food over here, although its origins are in Egypt.

steve_spackman
21st January 2009, 13:38
There are plenty of terrible foods in the US. But don't lump them all in the same boat. I love chicken fried steak. I was only in the USA for 3 weeks and I put on 5 kg. I put it mostly down to chicken fried steak. I could almost feel my arteries hardening while I ate it.

people in the US would fry a salad if they could get away with it...

Roamy
21st January 2009, 15:29
people in the US would fry a salad if they could get away with it...

Better than a freaking Kidney Pie Mate !!

steve_spackman
21st January 2009, 15:44
Better than a freaking Kidney Pie Mate !!

you had steak and kidney pie???

21st January 2009, 17:10
Falafel is usually referred to as the national food over here, although its origins are in Egypt.

Oh.....I could have sworn I've seen a book about olden times Israel where some bloke fed a lot of people with loaves and fishes.

Rani
21st January 2009, 17:16
Oh.....I could have sworn I've seen a book about olden times Israel where some bloke fed a lot of people with loaves and fishes.
There's also this book where all the israelis eat manna, but I've never seen it sold on the street.

Roamy
21st January 2009, 17:37
you had steak and kidney pie???
Actually I have but only kept it for 5 minutes and then passed it on to the street :p

Seriously - yes and it was quite good :p

steve_spackman
21st January 2009, 17:43
Actually I have but only kept it for 5 minutes and then passed it on to the street :p

Seriously - yes and it was quite good :p

glad you enjoyed it. now you got to try spotted dick ha ha

Roamy
21st January 2009, 17:45
I will stick to spotted pussy thank you!!

Easy Drifter
21st January 2009, 18:53
Beaver Tails. Heart attack on the spot along with diabetes. :eek:

Or try a Mosport McBreakfast. Bacon, fried egg and processed cheese on a hamburg bun. The cardioligists favourite. :eek:

donKey jote
21st January 2009, 19:19
While I get what you are trying to say I think its worth pointing out that Turks are not Arabs.

So in a way, you are showing the same ignorance as the flight passenger thinking Turk/muslim = Arab ;)

Tell me where I said Turks are arabs :)
The guy said too many people looked like arabs / dressed like arabs - I'm presuming he meant something along the lines of olive-skinned / headscarves. These traits you tend to find in Turkey too, so he should have expected it.

You don't know me do you ? (While I may be ignorant in many other ways, I was born in Istanbul ;) )

rah
22nd January 2009, 01:15
Beaver Tails. Heart attack on the spot along with diabetes. :eek:

Or try a Mosport McBreakfast. Bacon, fried egg and processed cheese on a hamburg bun. The cardioligists favourite. :eek:

Sounds good except for the dodgy processed cheese. We have bacon and egg sandwiches every now and then. Great with cheese. Army eggs are also great.

Easy Drifter
22nd January 2009, 04:46
Processed cheese is as close to to real cheese as articficial turf is to grass.

Roamy
22nd January 2009, 04:53
Tell me where I said Turks are arabs :)
The guy said too many people looked like arabs / dressed like arabs - I'm presuming he meant something along the lines of olive-skinned / headscarves. These traits you tend to find in Turkey too, so he should have expected it.

You don't know me do you ? (While I may be ignorant in many other ways, I was born in Istanbul ;) )

You Goddamned Terrorist - what city do you live in now. :p

leopard
22nd January 2009, 07:17
What's difference between terrorist and aggressor? both of them destroy and killing human. :)

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 09:19

I can't remember the name of them but Caroline bought me some of these sausages which were filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon. I'm quite sure I could feel my arteries hardening when I was eating that. Fatty food stuffed with fatty food all wrapped up in a fatty food :crazy:

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 09:22
Since we're talking about fatty foods try this

A breakfast bin lid
2 cumberland sausages, 2 bits of bacon, a fried egg, mushrooms and black pudding all on a bun.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 09:51
I can't remember the name of them but Caroline bought me some of these sausages which were filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon. I'm quite sure I could feel my arteries hardening when I was eating that. Fatty food stuffed with fatty food all wrapped up in a fatty food :crazy:

I've found it. It's a berner sausage. I think you could clog your arteries up just looking at it.

http://southbound.ph/blog/wp-content/photos/oldmanila/oldmanila-sausage.jpg

GridGirl
22nd January 2009, 13:04
I've never eaten pork in my life even though I'm not a muslim. I ended up eating sausages for the first time ever last weekend and to be quite honest I was disappointed. I tried beef and lamb ones but not together obviously. The way people always made out when I said I'd never tried them was like I was missing out on a great thing, I suppose they were OK but I don't think I'd bother eating them again. :s

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 13:24
I've never eaten pork in my life even though I'm not a muslim. I ended up eating sausages for the first time ever last weekend and to be quite honest I was disappointed. I tried beef and lamb ones but not together obviously. The way people always made out when I said I'd never tried them was like I was missing out on a great thing, I suppose they were OK but I don't think I'd bother eating them again. :s

I think you just need to try some proper sausages. There really are some godawful sausages out there :mark:

Try some of these :)

http://www.debbieandandrews.co.uk/sausages/index.html

GridGirl
22nd January 2009, 13:42
Well they were Sainsbury's taste the difference so they can't have been too bad although I have nothing to compare them against. I still don't and won't eat pork and maybe pork sausages are just better. :) The same goes for bacon sandwiches....I guess I'll just never know. :p

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 13:44
Well they were Sainsbury's taste the difference so they can't have been too bad although I have nothing to compare them against. I still don't and won't eat pork and maybe pork sausages are just better. :)

As a sausage lover (oi!) I have to say the sainsburys taste the difference range is rather disappointing. Pork sausages are where it's at but there are good beef sausages out there too.

Why don't you eat pork? :p

Dave B
22nd January 2009, 13:45
Supermarket sausages (even Taste the Difference, Finest etc) are so-so. Fine as part of a huge fry-up, but not great on their own. Find yourself a decent local butcher and try some proper hand-made sausages and I bet you'll love them. :facelick:

I'm particularly looking forward to Susy's birthday as we'll be ooop north and her parents' local butcher makes some lurrrvery ones with pork, beef, Guinness, Jack Daniels, apple, onion... whatever you want. Not all in the same sausage, I hasten to add...

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 13:51
Supermarket sausages (even Taste the Difference, Finest etc) are so-so. Fine as part of a huge fry-up, but not great on their own. Find yourself a decent local butcher and try some proper hand-made sausages and I bet you'll love them. :facelick:

I'm particularly looking forward to Susy's birthday as we'll be ooop north and her parents' local butcher makes some lurrrvery ones with pork, beef, Guinness, Jack Daniels, apple, onion... whatever you want. Not all in the same sausage, I hasten to add...

Spoken like a true connoisseur ;)

My favourite sausages come from here and they're the apple and pork ones :)
http://www.edwardsofconway.co.uk/system/index.html
Sainsburys sell them on the shelves and at the meat counter here but not sure if it's a national thing as Edwards of Conwy are local ish to us.

The Debbie and Andrews Sicilian, Harrogate and Perfect Pork sausages are all excellent too and should be available at Morrisons and Sainsburys.

Dave B
22nd January 2009, 14:08
Hmm, I may have to do some investigating. Damn you Daniel, I'm hungry now! :p

Firstgear
22nd January 2009, 14:23
On the lighter side of what people say on airplanes:

West Jet is an Airline with head office situated in Calgary. West Jet airline attendants make an effort to make the in-flight "safety lecture" and announcements a bit more entertaining.
Here are several real examples that have been heard or reported by passengers from real flights:
On a West Jet flight, there is no assigned seating, you just sit where you want. Passengers were apparently having a hard time choosing, when a flight attendant announced, "People, people we're not picking out furniture here, find a seat and get in it!"
———————–
On another West Jet Flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said, "Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights. This is for your comfort and to enhance the appearance of your flight attendants."
————————
On landing, the stewardess said, "Please be sure to take all of your belongings. If you're going to leave anything, please make sure it's something we'd like to have."
————————
"There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this airplane."
———————–
"Thank you for flying West Jet Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."
—————————
As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at the Vancouver airport, a lone voice came over the loudspeaker: "Whoa, big fella. WHOA!"
————————-
After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in Ontario, a flight attendant on a West Jet flight announced, "Please take care when opening the overhead compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as hell everything has shifted."
———————–
From a West Jet Airlines employee: "Welcome aboard West Jet Flight 245 to Calgary. To operate your seat belt, insert the metal tab into the buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other seat belt; and, if you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised."
———————
"In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, masks will descend from the ceiling, stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with more than one small child, pick your favorite."
———————–
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but we'll try to have them fixed before we arrive. Thank you, and remember, nobody loves you, or your money, more than West Jet Airlines."
————————
"Your seat cushions can be used for flotation; and in the event of an emergency water landing, please paddle to shore and take them with our compliments."
———————–
"As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses."
—————————
And from the pilot during his welcome message: "West Jet Airlines is pleased to announce that we have some of the best flight attendants in the industry. Unfortunately, none of them are on this flight!"
—————————–
Heard on West Jet Airlines just after a very hard landing in Edmonton; The flight attendant came on the intercom and said, "That was quite a bump, and I know what y'all are thinking. I'm here to tell you it wasn't the airline's fault, it wasn't the pilot's fault, it wasn't the flight attendant's fault, it was the asphalt."
——————————
Overheard on a West Jet Airlines flight into Regina on a particularly windy and bumpy day: During the final approach, the Captain was really having to fight it. After an extremely hard landing, the Flight Attendant said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Regina. Please remain in your seats with your seat belts fastened while the Captain taxis what's left of our airplane to the gate!"
——————————
Another flight attendant's comment on a less than perfect landing: "We ask you to please remain seated as Captain Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal."
———————
An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the runway really hard. The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the door while the Passengers exited, smile, and give them a "Thanks for flying our airline." He said that, in light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment. Finally everyone had gotten off except for a little old lady walking with a cane. She said, "Sir, do you mind if I ask you a question?"
"Why, no, Ma'am," said the pilot. "What is it?"
The little old lady said, "Did we land, or were we shot down?"
——————-
After a real crusher of a landing in Halifax, the attendant came on with, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please remain in your seats until Captain Crash and the Crew have brought the aircraft to a screeching halt against the gate. And, once the tire smoke has cleared and the warning bells are silenced, we will open the door and you can pick your way through the wreckage to the terminal."
———————–
Part of a flight attendant's arrival announcement: "We'd like to thank you folks for flying with us today. And, the next time you get the insane urge to go blasting through the skies in a pressurized metal tube, we hope you'll think of West Jet Airways."
———————–
Heard on a West Jet Airline flight. "Ladies and gentlemen, if you wish to smoke, the smoking section on this airplane is on the wing. If you can light 'em, you can smoke 'em."
———————–
A plane was taking off from the Winnipeg airport. After it reached a comfortable cruising altitude, the captain made an announcement over the intercom, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Welcome to Flight Number 293, nonstop from Winnipeg to Montreal. The weather ahead is good and, therefore, we should have a smooth and uneventful flight. Now sit back and relax.. OH, MY GOD!"
Silence followed, and after a few minutes, the captain came back on the intercom and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am so sorry if I scared you earlier. While I was talking to you, the flight attendant accidentally spilled a cup of hot coffee on my lap. You should see the front of my pants!" A passenger yelled: "That's nothing. You should see the back of mine!"

Daniel
22nd January 2009, 14:25
On the lighter side of what people say on airplanes:

Hey! Get your own thread! We're talking about Sausages here :p

Firstgear
22nd January 2009, 15:15
Airplanes - sausages, same basic shape so I thought it would be ok.

But.....ummmm....ok back to sausages then.

I work next to an A & W (fast food chain here) and about once a week on the way into work, I can smell the bacon frying as I walk from the parking lot. Kinda makes me hungry & queezy at the same time.

Years ago I worked up north, where all you could get for breakfast was bacon, eggs, sausages..... I've had enough of it to satisfy for a lifetime.

Yougurt, fruit & cereal for breakfast for me, thanks.

There. Is that close enough to qualify as "on topic" for the "sausages" thread?

Easy Drifter
22nd January 2009, 17:32
I like Chorizo Sausage. Spicy but not overly hot.
Honey Garlic Pork pretty good.
Also Elk or Buffalo sausage. Maple Elk nice for breakfast.
Neither Elk or Buffalo are greasy.

J4MIE
22nd January 2009, 19:47
Sausages get the thumbs up from me :up:

donKey jote
22nd January 2009, 20:29
puagh :vomit:
British sausages are only good for people who don't know their Wurst :p :

donKey jote
22nd January 2009, 20:32
:laugh:
a city near you and yer missus :vader: :p :

Easy Drifter
22nd January 2009, 21:05
I forgot about the Brats and corn at Road America.