PDA

View Full Version : social networking

steve_spackman
19th January 2009, 20:59
sites like Facebook and Myspace..

is all info you put down safe and secure or is it passed on to other sources?

leopard
20th January 2009, 06:47
It is likely that you can't remember even only by name person(s) you have listed on the friend-list. :)

Dave B
20th January 2009, 09:04
Anything you place on a social not-working site instantly becomes avaiable to a billion internet users, so it's as safe and secure as you choose to make it.

I have friends who proudly display their home address and phone numbers, genuinely believing that as they've set their profile to "private" that somehow affords them security :s

That said, I joined Facebook with a dedicated email address and it's not once received any spam, so I do accept that they don't share your details willy-nilly.

Have you tried FriendFace (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg)? ;)

Daniel
20th January 2009, 10:17
Anything you place on a social not-working site instantly becomes avaiable to a billion internet users, so it's as safe and secure as you choose to make it.

I have friends who proudly display their home address and phone numbers, genuinely believing that as they've set their profile to "private" that somehow affords them security :s

That said, I joined Facebook with a dedicated email address and it's not once received any spam, so I do accept that they don't share your details willy-nilly.

Have you tried FriendFace (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg)? ;)

I prefer this one :) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlSkU0TFLs

I'm on facebook but I've not put my full name on and not really put that many details on other than my birthday. Anyone who I actually want to have my address or phone number already has it anyway :crazy:

MrJan
20th January 2009, 12:18
I have my name and birthday but no phone number or anything. TBH it's probaby still possible to find where I live etc. with virtually no effort.

leopard
20th August 2009, 06:59
Like my post #2, I only have a few friends in my list, they are friends that I really knew, can be classmates or workmates. Not a blogwalker, because I spend great deal of my time on here, so people here are considered as friends... I encourage people here who already registered account on FB or FS to make friendship...

Leopard

Drew
20th August 2009, 15:16
There's nothing on my facebook or myspace that I wouldn't mind telling somebody I just met, except maybe my email address :p :

edv
20th August 2009, 16:11
Supposedly, your privacy on Facebook can become a concern once you've started playing with the 'applications'. Applications, once installed, can have access to all of your profile information, whether set to private or not. So I avoid any of those 'apps'

Wade91
20th August 2009, 16:12
i use my full name on facebook, and my e-mail, you can search for people on facebook, by name or e-mail adress, but your profile page can only be viewed by people on your friends list, however i dont have my street adress or phone number listed

Wade91
20th August 2009, 16:14
Supposedly, your privacy on Facebook can become a concern once you've started playing with the 'applications'. Applications, once installed, can have access to all of your profile information, whether set to private or not. So I avoid any of those 'apps'
theres no reason to avoid apps, apps are alot of fun, and the apps may can acess your profile info, but their not gonna shair it with anyone

christophulus
20th August 2009, 16:43
There's nothing on my facebook or myspace that I wouldn't mind telling somebody I just met, except maybe my email address :p :

Same here, plus I only accept friend requests from people I know well in person, so I don't really see how it can be unsafe?

GridGirl
20th August 2009, 18:33
I haven't been on my myspace for years. I do have facebook but I am getting quite annoyed with things like friends always advertising their nail business or Ann Summers parties and I don't even want to know what rubbish farmville is. I'm quite sure it can't be that interesting.

leopard
21st August 2009, 03:41
I think such feeling unsafe is a bit paranoid... ;)

GridGirl, as long as your friend adv on their business is worthwhile I think it is good and harmless to build partnership and support our friends' business...

Drew
21st August 2009, 11:26
I haven't been on my myspace for years. I do have facebook but I am getting quite annoyed with things like friends always advertising their nail business or Ann Summers parties and I don't even want to know what rubbish farmville is. I'm quite sure it can't be that interesting.

I play mafiawars, I'm addicted :D

Plus one thing, depending on your settings people in the same network as you, can see your profile :)

stevie_gerrard
24th August 2009, 14:09
There are settings on facebook that you can set to protect your identity and personal information to just people that you do know. I have facebook and do have a lot of information on mine, but its all protected to just those i accept as friends.

MrJan
24th August 2009, 15:02
There are settings on facebook that you can set to protect your identity and personal information to just people that you do know. I have facebook and do have a lot of information on mine, but its all protected to just those i accept as friends.

Don't you believe it, there are fairly easy ways to stalk people on FB and skirt around the filters etc.

steve_spackman
24th August 2009, 20:35
Ive seen people on Facebook with over 1000 'friends". I have 143 and they are either family, work mates or actual people i know.

airshifter
25th August 2009, 03:22
Ive seen people on Facebook with over 1000 'friends". I have 143 and they are either family, work mates or actual people i know.

And of those 143, can you assure that they are all security aware on their computers? Privacy on the internet is much like STD's, be careful who you share things with. :laugh:

steve_spackman
25th August 2009, 03:44
And of those 143, can you assure that they are all security aware on their computers? Privacy on the internet is much like STD's, be careful who you share things with. :laugh:

I hope they are computer aware....

Privacy on the internet is much like STD's, be careful who you share things with

thats actually a good point

MrJan
12th March 2010, 14:25
I've taken a calculated risk and become friends with someone called MrJan Jan. Today is the most beautiful day of my life :D

harsha
15th March 2010, 15:09
used to play mafia wars on facebook....became level 180 odd...but then stopped playing for the past 6 months or so....didn't see the point of it...

might as well play scrabble instead

Mark in Oshawa
15th March 2010, 21:44
Facebook is a favourite destination for me besides these pages. I usually hit both in the course of my day. Other than "Bejewelled" I stay away from the games. Most of them are pointless and stupid.

I also post nothing that is not pretty much something I couldn't tell a stranger, and I do not put or even mention the names of my wife and daughter. No pictures of them either......

I don't worry much about the filters and all that stuff, but most of what I would share with friends they know already. They don't need more evidence or pieces of my life online.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th March 2010, 22:04
Facebook is great for finding out when your girlfriend is moving on to someone else :(

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2010, 02:17
Facebook is great for finding out when your girlfriend is moving on to someone else :(

Good point..and I KNOW a guy who found it out that way!!!

Mark
16th March 2010, 09:42
Good point..and I KNOW a guy who found it out that way!!!

Yes and I read a news story when I woman changed her status to 'Single' and her ex-boyfriend went around her house and killed her :s

Brown, Jon Brow
16th March 2010, 09:45
Yes and I read a news story when I woman changed her status to 'Single' and her ex-boyfriend went around her house and killed her :s

Well, I'm not going to do that. :p

I've done some 'Facebook stalking' and seen pictures and wall posts that just make everything obvious :(

BeansBeansBeans
16th March 2010, 10:00
Like many things, FB can be useful and enjoyable but only if used in the right way. I can't stand it when people air their dirty laundry in their status updates.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th March 2010, 10:03
Like many things, FB can be useful and enjoyable but only if used in the right way. I can't stand it when people air their dirty laundry in their status updates.

That does make me cringe a little.

Daniel
16th March 2010, 12:44
Sometimes it can be funny though :)

This was one of my updates from a couple of weeks ago

Daniel Vn loves it when people flip out on Facebook. If I post a innocent remark on one of your facebook updates please feel free to remove me from your friends list, then have an argument with me via some messages, accuse me of calling you a child abuser then threaten to report me to the police if I post on any of your friends walls because I'm a sick person. ROFL

But you're right. The updates I hate are the ones which are just crying out for someone or anyone to respond so you can get involved in a conversation like Fred has had a horrible weekend and wants a hug etc etc Or I'm so pissed off with life or men or cockroaches or something. If you want to tell people something then tell them!

GridGirl
16th March 2010, 13:27
Sometimes it can be funny though :)

This was one of my updates from a couple of weeks ago

But you're right. The updates I hate are the ones which are just crying out for someone or anyone to respond so you can get involved in a conversation like Fred has had a horrible weekend and wants a hug etc etc Or I'm so pissed off with life or men or cockroaches or something. If you want to tell people something then tell them!

I absolutely hate status updates like you've just mentioned. I'm begining to think half of my facebook friends are manic depressives who are desperate for some attention.

I do find it quite strange how people seem to enjoy putting all thier problems on facebook. My dad has been quite ill for the past year. He's been resusitated numerous times, and had surgery four times in the last year. I haven't felt the need to disclose any of this to all my facebook friends. It really would have been like a session with depression if i'd updated my status for everything that went wrong relating to my dad. It's bad enough its happened to me. I don't feel the need to inflict my doom and gloom onto everyone else.

BeansBeansBeans
16th March 2010, 13:44
It's just emotional incontinence isn't it? Many people seem unable to keep things to themselves or their immediate friends and family.

Daniel
16th March 2010, 15:05
It's just emotional incontinence isn't it? Many people seem unable to keep things to themselves or their immediate friends and family.
Exactly. TBH I'm sure I do it sometimes as well but for some people almost everyday thing. GG has a point, I was on her friends list and I didn't know her dad I don't think I'd want constant updates etc etc :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2010, 18:28
I usually post a line commenting on the weather, or somethign funny. My latest comment is: "I am wanting to pull out the golf clubs and clean them, or would this bring on a late winter/early spring snowstorm?"

Boring? Ya....but I try not to give away what is really irritating me....reality is the place for that.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th March 2010, 22:25
I only post interesting things on my status. Such as cutting myself on ice cubes :dozey:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=584373027#!/group.php?gid=5230723306&ref=ts

J4MIE
17th March 2010, 02:22
Yeah I don't like the apps on it, very annoying! It is good for keeping in touch with people though. I mainly use it for putting photo albums up to be honest.

Daniel
17th March 2010, 09:47
Yeah I don't like the apps on it, very annoying! It is good for keeping in touch with people though. I mainly use it for putting photo albums up to be honest.
I must admit that I'm the same. I generally don't join groups and I don't install apps :)

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 23:06
I joined the Facebook site and will accept many if not all friend requests. I wish I had known sooner.

martinbalmer
18th March 2010, 10:08
Facebook has brought with it a twist to the chain-letter phenomenon. 'Forward this to all your contacts or die' e-mails and fake virus alerts have evolved.

Now we also have bogus groups and fan pages claiming you'll get some sort of reward for joining and inviting your friends.

And copied updates and messages warning 'do not add this person' because they're a peadofile, a computer hacker, a scammer, speed camera installer, whatever, and they're get into your mind and make your pants turn green.

Dave B
18th March 2010, 10:54
But you can see who's been looking at your profile if you just install this toolbar and change your privacy settings... :p

Mark
18th March 2010, 11:09
I'm forever having to respond to emails giving my username and password to reverify my account. I spent more time emailing my password to people than actually using it :rolleyes:

patnicholls
18th March 2010, 12:24
I absolutely hate status updates like you've just mentioned. I'm begining to think half of my facebook friends are manic depressives who are desperate for some attention.

:up:

After the whole world got on Facebook, I have come to the conclusion that I'm a lot more 'normal' compared to my friends than I had previously thought!