PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to boil a kettle?

Hazell B
19th January 2009, 15:55
Is there a website that gives rough costs at today's prices for electrical use?

I just wondered how much it costs to boil a litre of water in the average kettle, etc.

Dave B
19th January 2009, 15:58
If there is such a website, I hope it's more accurate that the idiot who worked out (presumably on the back of a fag packet) that a Google search is equivalent to boiling a kettle :s

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/16/carbon-sunday-times-google-clarification

You can buy a little plug-in meter which shows your energy usage on any given appliance.

steve_spackman
19th January 2009, 15:58
Is there a website that gives rough costs at today's prices for electrical use?

I just wondered how much it costs to boil a litre of water in the average kettle, etc.

On average a kettle uses the same amount of energy to boil a litre of water as it takes to run a fridge for about seven hours, so it’s a good idea to boil only as much water as you need.

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/kettles/page/faqs/

Hazell B
19th January 2009, 16:28
You can buy a little plug-in meter which shows your energy usage on any given appliance.

Ah, but that would tell me how much I'm using - when I want to know how much I'm saving. Just to be awkward, like :p :

I bought a stove top 'any surface' kettle the other day, which was £31. It boils on our wood burning stove for free reasonably fast. Looks pretty, too.
We were wondering how many times we have to use it to pay for itself .... and I guess it's about 2000 times.

That's about 18 months, give or take.
It's guaranteed for twenty years, luckily :p :

Daniel
19th January 2009, 16:35
Ah, but that would tell me how much I'm using - when I want to know how much I'm saving. Just to be awkward, like :p :

I bought a stove top 'any surface' kettle the other day, which was £31. It boils on our wood burning stove for free reasonably fast. Looks pretty, too.
We were wondering how many times we have to use it to pay for itself .... and I guess it's about 2000 times.

That's about 18 months, give or take.
It's guaranteed for twenty years, luckily :p :

What? No electricity there? :confused:

:p

P.S Incidently my parents have had a big cast iron kettle which they use in winter on their wood burning stove for longer than they've had me.

Hazell B
19th January 2009, 17:05
Yes, my computer's pushbike and hamster wheel powered :eek:

jim mcglinchey
19th January 2009, 18:07
My understanding is this. A 3kw kettle running for an hour with 'leccy at say 13p / unit will cost 39p/hr to run. Say the kettle takes 3 mins to boil, then it will cost 3/60 x 39p or about 2p, and 2000 boils would cost £40, so it should take less than that to payback.

Hazell B
19th January 2009, 18:45
Good one Jim :up:

However, I usually only make me a brew as my partner's working some evenings and I didn't mention taking that into account.

steve_spackman
19th January 2009, 18:58
Good one Jim :up:

However, I usually only make me a brew as my partner's working some evenings and I didn't mention taking that into account.

did you check out the website i posted?

Hazell B
19th January 2009, 19:57
Yes thanks, and Dave's too.
Our electric kettle is fairly new, but I can't remember where it's box is so don't know it's kWh thingy, so just went for averages on the two sites.

edv
20th January 2009, 02:21
You get the added bonus of having a small humidifier when using your kettle on the wood stove. So now you will have investigate the kWh savings otherwise spent on humidification in addition to the savings enjoyed in preparing your tea.

Daniel
20th January 2009, 09:54
You get the added bonus of having a small humidifier when using your kettle on the wood stove. So now you will have investigate the kWh savings otherwise spent on humidification in addition to the savings enjoyed in preparing your tea.

I don't think we need humidifiers here ;) It's almost always raining here so it's almost always humid :(

Hazell B
20th January 2009, 18:39
No humidifier here. Rain, wet dogs breathing everywhere and damp wood being burned :p :

Hondo
20th January 2009, 18:42
Of course you know you're adding to Global Climate Change using a woodburning stove don't you? I suggest you drag the whole mess down to the beach and use it there. Water boils faster at sea level.

chuck34
20th January 2009, 18:56
Of course you know you're adding to Global Climate Change using a woodburning stove don't you? I suggest you drag the whole mess down to the beach and use it there. Water boils faster at sea level.

Water actually boils "faster" (at a lower temperature) at a lower pressure. So drag all your stuff up Mt. Everest.

Hazell B
20th January 2009, 18:57
No beaches, no ruddy mountains :mark:

Hazell Towers only :p :

Daniel
20th January 2009, 19:33
Water actually boils "faster" (at a lower temperature) at a lower pressure. So drag all your stuff up Mt. Everest.

Owned :D