PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Thread

ShiftingGears
18th January 2009, 10:52
Anyone else been enjoying the clashes between South Africa and Australia as much as I have?

18th January 2009, 11:12
No, but then I decided to save money over the summer months and put the sports channels on hold. Now I'm thinking I'd like to watch some of the Australian Open which starts tomorrow I think.

allycat228
18th January 2009, 22:49
Oh yes, seeing australia squished was great, even though i am not that fussy about graeme smith

Valve Bounce
19th January 2009, 01:13
Anyone else been enjoying the clashes between South Africa and Australia as much as I have?

It's been great cricket. Quite interesting is how the Australian team is being rebuilt, almost from scratch. We had lost three of our most intimidating players in McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist and now Matty has joined them. Then, Lee is out, and Clark (bowler) and Clarke (batsman) , and Roy through injury and suddenly we are blessed with Australia B lead by Ponting. I guess that, under the circumstances, our team isn't doing all that bad. As Sehwag has pointed out, this Australian team simply cannot bowl out twenty opposition batsmen to win a test match - God knows how long since our guys have bowled out 20 batsmen in a test match - I can't remember that far back. :(
In case somebody pipes up with the Sydney win against SA, our guys only took 19 opposition wickets, not 20.

harsha
19th January 2009, 07:48
I would think Marsh should be a strong contender for the opening position in tests despite his poor first class average which i find very surprising

harsha
3rd February 2009, 05:10
another day,another controversy :rolleyes:

i don't see why Haddin didn't apologize after the match (atleast)

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/current/story/388680.html

Camelopard
3rd February 2009, 06:11
another day,another controversy :rolleyes:

i don't see why Haddin didn't apologize after the match (atleast)

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/current/story/388680.html

Because Haddin says he didn't do anything wrong, that's why.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/haddin-fires-back-at-vettori-im-no-cheat/2009/02/02/1233423102976.html

"Haddin is positive the ball hit the bail before deflecting into his hands, although the Kiwis believe he knocked off the bails with his gloves: "I was unaware at the time that my hands were in front of the stumps. After looking at the replay my hands were in front of the stumps, but the ball I am 100 per cent sure hit the bails first then came up into my gloves," he said."

""I'm pretty disappointed in Dan that he didn't have the decency to come and speak to me after the game … rather than air his thoughts at a press conference," Haddin said yesterday."

harsha
3rd February 2009, 06:28
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=POpUTsVaAv4&feature=related

i don't see the ball hitting the stumps... :rolleyes:

Camelopard
3rd February 2009, 06:39
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=POpUTsVaAv4&feature=related

i don't see the ball hitting the stumps... :rolleyes:

The umpires didn't see anything, but you sitting several thousand miles away have all the answers............................. :(

harsha
3rd February 2009, 08:02
the miracles of TV :cheese:

the thing is...Haddin should have realized that he made a mistake,you can see when he moved away from the stumps after gathering a ball,he looked guilty but he still didn't go to the umpire.....

i was a wicketkeeper in my younger days and i never did an elementary error such as that.that's like the first rule of wicketkeeping that you are taught..and Brad Haddin is a International Keeper!!!!!!

the bigger mistake was in blaming Vettori...

i don't blame ponting for defending his players but Haddin's response left a lot to be wanted

Daniel
3rd February 2009, 09:09
The umpires didn't see anything, but you sitting several thousand miles away have all the answers............................. :(
I'm sorry Camelopard but he's a cheat and should earn a ban for bringing the game into disrepute by not apologising.

Gilchrist to me was one of the only Australian players with an ounce of integrity when he walked..... I will always respect Gilchrist :up: Haddin is on my list of players who will try anything to win.

harsha
3rd February 2009, 09:49
Gilchrist is a true icon in every sense of the word...my fav player

Camelopard
3rd February 2009, 10:13
i was a wicketkeeper in my younger days and i never did an elementary error such as that.that's like the first rule of wicketkeeping that you are taught..and Brad Haddin is a International Keeper!!!!!!

So you played cricket at test level did you? You were at the game and saw for yourself what happened did you? I guess you know what it's like to play under pressure at the highest level, all very easy when you have access to repeated slow motion replays and 'hot spots'. I was also quite an accomplished wicket keeper in my younger days as well as a ferocious fast bowler, a magical spin bolwer, not to mention a fine opening batsman who could also play first, second, third or fourth drop as required, means nothing now my son.........

Why don't we make it like north american 'football' where every ball is dissected before a panel of umpires off the field with an array of monitors showing endless replays, how long would a game take?

In fact why bother having anyone on the field at all, we could all watch endless replays of games past and pass judgement on how much better I or you could have done and pick up on all the mistakes that umpires make.

But then again I dare say that you defended singh for calling 'Andrew Symonds' a monkey or worse last year, so we all know where you are really coming from.....

Yes Adam Gilchrist was a one off and all due credit to him for following what he thought was the best course of action when playing. How many indian cricket players have 'walked' over the years?

555-04Q2
3rd February 2009, 11:29
I cant believe how quickly Australain cricket has fallen. They have been virtually untouchable for the last 15 years and now are a shadow of the great team they once were. I know that they have a whole lot of new players, but so do we. We fielded two debutants in the final game of the OZ vs SA series and still beat them. I think the Auzzies have a mental block at the moment as some of their players are pretty good in their own right. I think they will gel soon and bounce back.

harsha
5th February 2009, 03:54
So you played cricket at test level did you? You were at the game and saw for yourself what happened did you? I guess you know what it's like to play under pressure at the highest level, all very easy when you have access to repeated slow motion replays and 'hot spots'. I was also quite an accomplished wicket keeper in my younger days as well as a ferocious fast bowler, a magical spin bolwer, not to mention a fine opening batsman who could also play first, second, third or fourth drop as required, means nothing now my son.........

Why don't we make it like north american 'football' where every ball is dissected before a panel of umpires off the field with an array of monitors showing endless replays, how long would a game take?

In fact why bother having anyone on the field at all, we could all watch endless replays of games past and pass judgement on how much better I or you could have done and pick up on all the mistakes that umpires make.

But then again I dare say that you defended singh for calling 'Andrew Symonds' a monkey or worse last year, so we all know where you are really coming from.....

Yes Adam Gilchrist was a one off and all due credit to him for following what he thought was the best course of action when playing. How many indian cricket players have 'walked' over the years?

damn you ppl get sensitive...

did i say i was a test wicketkeeper :p :

did i criticize ponting's decision to defend Haddin :?:

why are you bringing the Andrew Symonds into the picture :?: ...and for that matter his international career is in shambles because of his escapades,so don't go painting him off as some kinda saint.

i've already stated that Adam Gilchrist is my favourite player.Tell me which other Australian player in the current lineup has even 10% of the determination and integrity that Adam Gilchrist bought to the game.
(it's another matter that there are no walkers in world cricket right now)....

Dhoni walked in the second ODI against Srilanka but he has to do it consistently to get that tag.

just don't criticize me cause I come from India and "supposedly" have a bias against the Australian Cricket Team.

Valve Bounce
5th February 2009, 05:15
Actually, I felt that Ponting should have called the Kiwi back when the replay showed that Haddin's gloves were in front of the wickets. It would have gone some way to make up for Little Chappel's smelly underarm.

Storm
5th February 2009, 07:33
Valve you are in dream land if you believe Ponting is going to do anything "sporting" in his life :)

Camelopard, I believe you did go off on harsha for no reason on things unrelated when the topic was the Haddin incident.
I did not see it so can't say much on it.

Daniel
5th February 2009, 07:57
Valve you are in dream land if you believe Ponting is going to do anything "sporting" in his life :) .

:up:

Couldn't agree more :rotflmao:

AndyRAC
5th February 2009, 08:24
What were England playing at yesterday - Cook, Pietersen getting themselves out. And Bell should be dropped, doesn't do it when needed.

harsha
5th February 2009, 09:21
Valve you are in dream land if you believe Ponting is going to do anything "sporting" in his life :)

rofl.... :laugh:

Camelopard
5th February 2009, 20:39
just don't criticize me cause I come from India and "supposedly" have a bias against the Australian Cricket Team.

Well why is it that you made this post, can't say off hand that you have made to many other cricket related posts except to knock australia.

Was I being too sensitive in my response, maybe, although I like to think it was too many glasses of red wine!

If you do a search on this forum you will see that I am no lover of ponting, in fact in several replies I have criticised him and imho he is the biggest problem with australian cricket, him and hilditch the chairman of selectors, hilditch was a crap cricketer and even worse selector, imo.

As for my spray against harsha, as someone who only posts negative things about australian cricket, it's hard not to believe that he has an obvious bias.

His words were I believe, 'another day, another controversy', hmmmm pretty easy to see that this is another 'go' at australian cricket.

My comments on that incident stand, Haddin said in his honest opinion he did nothing wrong, harsha wasn't there, he wasn't an umpire, he has the benefit of many replays via tv.

It's very easy to be a critic when you are thousands of miles away and not caught up in the heat of the moment. Did the umpires confer? Did they give him not out and he walked anyway? Were the umpires just having a bad day? Yes actually they were, McCullum's 'dismissal' in the first over was a good example of that.

Did NZ win? Yes and at the end of the day was justice served by NZ winning, imo yes.

So why not blame the umpires instead of haddin? As I said previously, haddin believed that he did nothing wrong.

Maybe incidents like this are why they are going to introduce the challenge rule, probably a very good idea, although as I said before it may drag out a game as things are expertly discected by the tv umpires. (just like boring North american 'football') Why not have every lbw decision subject to 'hawk eye' and for that matter every decision, they do it already for contentious fours and sixes?

It makes no difference to the event if harsha played cricket at any level and is irellevent. IMO just another internet poster trying to inflate his own ego.

Get over it, umpires and referees at all levels of society and all walks of life, including judges, police, UN inspectors, polititions, etc,etc, etc make mistakes. No body is perfect.

Valve Bounce
5th February 2009, 23:08
It makes no difference to the event if harsha played cricket at any level and is irellevent. IMO just another internet poster trying to inflate his own ego.

Not really. harsha is entitled to his opinion about anything to do with how the Aussis play, and whether they are good or poor sports. If you disagree, then go ahead and attack his post - this is a discussion forum. There is no need to attack the guy. In fact, this is not what this forum is about : personal attacks on other members.

As I posted earlier, I was disappointed that Ponting did not recall the Kiwi when replays showed the wicket keeper's gloves and not the ball , whether intentionally or otherwise, took the bails off.

Where you make the mistake is that, with the benefit of television repays, viewers like harsha (and myself) have a better view of any situation than umpires who are not permitted to change any ruling by looking at the large screen's replays.

Camelopard
5th February 2009, 23:29

(my itallics)

Sorry, but how did I attack harsha as a person? I was replying to his quote as per above?

What ever happened to 'what happens on the field, stays on the field...'?

Camelopard
5th February 2009, 23:36
Where you make the mistake is that, with the benefit of television repays, viewers like harsha (and myself) have a better view of any situation than umpires who are not permitted to change any ruling by looking at the large screen's replays.

Well that isn't my mistake, is it? It's the mistake in the laws of the game, which I believe are changing to allow challenges to contentious issues.

It still comes back to the point that the umpires didn't give it out, blame the umpires, not me.........

Camelopard
5th February 2009, 23:58
- this is a discussion forum. There is no need to attack the guy. In fact, this is not what this forum is about : personal attacks on other members.

Sorry, if you honestly believe that statement then you haven't read too many posts from the likes of 'gary walker', anthonyvop, 'fiero 5.7', 'easy drifter', markobilly, numerous others without forgetting in my opinion the worst culprit of all, our very own fousto, but hey that's only my opinion. :)

millencolin
6th February 2009, 01:44
I got a feeling we are going to get thumped today... theres my opinion, oh and changing topic is fun

Camelopard
6th February 2009, 02:06
I got a feeling we are going to get thumped today... theres my opinion, oh and changing topic is fun

Not having ponting playing can only strengthen australia, imo.... :)

Camelopard
6th February 2009, 04:23
Not having ponting playing can only strengthen australia, imo.... :)

Then again maybe not....... :)

harsha
6th February 2009, 04:29
India is gonna get slaughtered in New Zealand..imagine playing 5 ODI's in the dusty pitches of SL and then play a Test Match in NZ without any warmup

Valve Bounce
6th February 2009, 08:11
Sorry, if you honestly believe that statement then you haven't read too many posts from the likes of 'gary walker', anthonyvop, 'fiero 5.7', 'easy drifter', markobilly, numerous others without forgetting in my opinion the worst culprit of all, our very own fousto, but hey that's only my opinion. :)

I have no intention of commenting on the posts of the members that you have mentioned. If you don't like their comments, you can take it up yourself with the mods.

At the moment, I am interested in the cricket thread, and my comments stand about Ponting and the replays which I have made above.

Daniel
6th February 2009, 08:33
Ok let us all calm down :p

millencolin
6th February 2009, 09:15
Its good to see one of my favourite players, and one of the most underrated, James 'Hopesy' Hopes bowling so well. after 7 overs he is 2/12... thats pretty darn economical... Go Hopesy!

harsha
6th February 2009, 10:05
NZ cruising at this stage 170/3 in 40 overs

ShiftingGears
6th February 2009, 10:14
Phil Hughes on the SA tour. Keep an eye on him.

harsha
6th February 2009, 10:30
i've had the feeling that Dave Warner has been rushed into the Australian side too early.

however Phil Hughes seems to be a very promising talent going by the stats of this season...

but Australia seem to be in a problem as far as Spinners are concerned.Mcgain getting picked at the age of 36 ahead of other spinners speaks of the crisis in the spin bowling dept after the departure of Warne,Mcgill and Hogg)

not that India is being on top of the spin department either...Harbhajan Singh can't produce a off-break to save his life :(

Valve Bounce
6th February 2009, 11:06
i've had the feeling that Dave Warner has been rushed into the Australian side too early.

(

I agree about Dave Warner. He is being suckered into making shots that get him out. He needs a couple of years in inter-state cricket.

harsha
6th February 2009, 11:22
IPL could probably help him out a bit...

look at Shaun Marsh,his international career was launched on the basis of his IPL performances...

Shane Watson came back into the aussie side after a strong season in IPL ( dunno whether he performed well in the domestic season too and whether his performaces for his aussie club were the key and not this)

Camelopard
6th February 2009, 11:24

however Phil Hughes seems to be a very promising talent going by the stats of this season...

but Australia seem to be in a problem as far as Spinners are concerned.Mcgain getting picked at the age of 36 ahead of other spinners speaks of the crisis in the spin bowling dept after the departure of Warne,Mcgill and Hogg)

Yep, agree with you there regards Warner and I feel the same thing may happen with Hughes, rushed, pushed far too soon, far too much expected from him, not in the least due to our newspaper media, there has to be better choices in the shefield shield.

Although I disagree regarding the spinners, as I have posted before if Warne had been given the captaincy a few years ago I feel he would still be playing cricket and australia would be doing a lot better than they are under ponting...

Warnies results in the IPL speak for themselves, nobody gave his team a chance before the competition began, I know it's only twenty/20, but the thought processes are still pretty much the same in any form of cricket.

Former Australian cricketer Greg Mathews is still playing first grade cricket in Sydney at the moment and he is 50 odd years old, I really do think that warnie had a few more years in him, but was let down by the selectors. Really who cares what he gets up to with his mobile phone as long as it doesn't detract from his playing.
It's always been said that McGain would have been picked for Victoria if not for Warne, same goes for McGill, he would have played a lot more tests for australia if warne hadn't been around.

Camelopard
6th February 2009, 11:27
I have no intention of commenting on the posts of the members that you have mentioned. If you don't like their comments, you can take it up yourself with the mods.

If you don't like any of my comments then take your own advice and take it up with the mods..... in my opinion of course......... :)

harsha
6th February 2009, 11:44
lol.....i don't think i took any offense at camelopard's posts and i hope he didn't take any offense at mine...

so let's have some white flags out :cheese:

harsha
6th February 2009, 11:47
and to be frank i don't mind getting youngsters into a team,it has worked for India,it's worked for the proteas but i don't think it'll work for the Australian cricket team

Camelopard
6th February 2009, 11:50
lol.....i don't think i took any offense at camelopard's posts and i hope he didn't take any offense at mine...

so let's have some white flags out :cheese:

I was being facetious in my original post, I was never a very good cricketer, couldn't bowl, couldn't bat, but I was a damn fine third leg...... actually some days depending on the wicketkeeper(?) I was a damn fine longstop......

:) :) :)

now where were we?

harsha
6th February 2009, 11:54
the australian selectors's baffling decisions :p :

Camelopard
6th February 2009, 12:08

agreed, if ponting goes to England as captain (which I'm sure he will). I'll be barracking for the poms........

how dreadfully unaustralian of me!

ShiftingGears
6th February 2009, 12:27

I think they're just scrambling to find a prodigous player that will somehow revive the Australian teams reputation as the best in the world. I'm sure that pressure from the ACB plays into it.

However, I'd want to know on what criteria the selectors get nominated.

millencolin
7th February 2009, 01:11
agreed, if ponting goes to England as captain (which I'm sure he will). I'll be barracking for the poms........

how dreadfully unaustralian of me!

As much as i also hate ponting, that is incredibly Unaustralian... You should tear up your passport too :p :

millencolin
8th February 2009, 09:11
HOLY TURDBALLS!!! Australia posted a decent total... 302!!! thats what I like to see

Camelopard
8th February 2009, 10:40
HOLY TURDBALLS!!! Australia posted a decent total... 302!!! thats what I like to see

'bout time Bucknor had a good, long, hard, look at himself, 2 very bad lbw decisions tonight, in both cases the batsman had hit the ball before it hit the pads, but hey the umpires are in charge and we must respect their decisions...... :)

millencolin
8th February 2009, 12:36
EVEN MORE HOLY TURDBALLS!!! We actually won a game, and quite convincingly too... wow im so glad ive got tickets to Fridays game at the 'gabba

stevie_gerrard
10th February 2009, 13:09
Anyone else loving the fact that England are still as useless at cricket as they used to be a few years ago? :p :

God i hate the ECB :(

millencolin
10th February 2009, 13:11
Anyone else loving the fact that England are still as useless at cricket as they used to be a few years ago? :p :

Yep :p :

555-04Q2
10th February 2009, 14:50

God i hate the ECB :(

:laugh: he he he :laugh:

They were pretty dismal. At least I won some money on the game thanks to them :)

millencolin
10th February 2009, 23:44
Hooray, i have tickets to what now is a decider!!!! hell yeah... gonna get my aussie xxxx gold beach cricket gear out, my cheap yellow plastic sunnies, my yellow headband and my aussie flag and drink up a storm! bring it on

555-04Q2
11th February 2009, 05:28
Good to see the Auzzie's bouncing back again :up:

Rollo
16th February 2009, 22:14

Useless indeed.

After being bowled all out for 51 to lose the first test, and then making 7 runs in what has to be the shortest test in history, at the end of day two in the Third (?) Test in Antigua, England declared at 566-9.

How's that for a turnaround in fortunes? How many sides can honestly claim to have had a tenfold increase in between two scores?

ShiftingGears
17th February 2009, 01:33
The matchwinning 20/20 catch from Adam Voges - hows that for thinking on your feet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJisYcXPE6A

Camelopard
27th February 2009, 12:08
Phil Hughes? bleah another over rated new south welshman who can't produce the goods when required. Send him back to the Sheffield Shield and wait until he matures!

Thank heavens for Marcus North, without him and Johnson we'd be really stuffed! :p :

ShiftingGears
27th February 2009, 12:49
Phil Hughes? bleah another over rated new south welshman who can't produce the goods when required. Send him back to the Sheffield Shield and wait until he matures!

Come off it. You can't judge a player by their International debut. Tendulkar got 15 in his test debut.

ShiftingGears
27th February 2009, 22:52
96 not out from Mitchell Johnson!

Camelopard
27th February 2009, 23:09
Come off it. You can't judge a player by their International debut. Tendulkar got 15 in his test debut.

Which was still 15 more than das Wunderkind. :)

ShiftingGears
27th February 2009, 23:12
Which was still 15 more than das Wunderkind. :)

Wowee!!!

555-04Q2
2nd March 2009, 05:27
The first test is turning out to be another ripper!!! South Africa are looking good with the oitch holding up well. +/- 280 runs to win for the Seth Efricans and 8 wickets for the boys from OZ. Should be cracking 5th day :up:

Rollo
2nd March 2009, 06:02
England in this series were on one occasion all bowled out for 51, amazingly scored 600 for 6 declared against the West Indies. :eek: More amazingly (and also why I think that this match must end in a draw) is that they were surpassed by 149 when the West Indies declared at 749 for 9 :eek:

This match looks in principle similar to the Pakistan Sri Lanka match, which was also a run fest and also ended in a draw (after a 600 and 700 plus innings).

Has the noble art of bowling died?

harsha
2nd March 2009, 06:55
no..

the pitches in the subcontinent(esp pakistan) and west indies are a disgrace to the name of cricket

ShiftingGears
2nd March 2009, 08:22
Wowee!!!

And Phil Hughes top scores in the second innings with 75.

harsha
3rd March 2009, 04:52
Sri Lankan team attacked in Pakistan :( :( :( :( :(

Daniel
3rd March 2009, 07:25
Sri Lankan team attacked in Pakistan :( :( :( :(
Sheesh :(

Storm
3rd March 2009, 08:30
This is crazy. Cricket in Pak is now finished.

A couple of the players are seriously injured and 4 have minor injuries..
The Indian team was supposed to tour Pak in Feb and they declined (the govt actually prohibited them, not the money hungry board) after the Mumbai attacks. so SL steps in so their board can earn more money....
I saw Imran Khan on tv after the November attacks saying it was not possible that the terrorists will ever attack sportspersons...

what do you say now Imran?

Valve Bounce
3rd March 2009, 09:18

The Indian team was supposed to tour Pak in Feb and they declined (the govt actually prohibited them, not the money hungry board) after the Mumbai attacks. so SL steps in so their board can earn more money....
I saw Imran Khan on tv after the November attacks saying it was not possible that the terrorists will ever attack sportspersons...

I can only say that it will be a long time before any team will agree to visit Pakistan - Maybe Bangla?

Dave B
3rd March 2009, 09:46
Some policemen escorting the team have been killed, and some of the team are injured. :\

Initial reports conflict, which is not surprising given that it must be a confusting scene at the moment. The Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article5836281.ece), for example, reports 6 deaths and 8 injuries; the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7920260.stm) reports 5 deaths and "at least 5" injuries.

Ranger
3rd March 2009, 09:46
:( Horrendous.

Australia is playing Pakistan for a few matches in the UAE. Just as well.

I'd say that without any chance of future international matches in Pakistan that their own cricket team will crumble. A shame considering they were once a world champion team.

themo
3rd March 2009, 10:33
Latest from sky At least seven players were injured, along with their British assistant coach Paul Farbrace.

Five police officers and the driver of a second coach travelling behind the team bus were killed. One umpire was hurt

harsha
3rd March 2009, 10:42

i remember seeing Imran on TV saying that,
...........this could have so easily been a bigger tragedy than it already is (imagine one of the cricketers dying)

harsha
3rd March 2009, 10:44
:( Horrendous.

Australia is playing Pakistan for a few matches in the UAE. Just as well.

I'd say that without any chance of future international matches in Pakistan that their own cricket team will crumble. A shame considering they were once a world champion team.

If the situation continues...it will be Talibanistan Vs LeT Vs JuD playing a triangular series against each other in 5 years time

ozrevhead
5th March 2009, 11:53
I wonder how safe people think India is right now? Yes they were not involved but they are next to each other geographically so it wouldnt be hard for them to get into the country. Yhe IPL would be a masive security risk

The umpires arrived back into Australia today

how they were left there for dead really makes me feel ill....
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25143165-23212,00.html

Instead of ten guards as promised they had two and after the police got the other convoy with the cricketers in it they didnt come back for the officals. One police officer was seen playing dead outside the bus and when everything stoped he got up and cheered!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25141534-23212,00.html
Also this was the only day that the Paki's bus was delayed - everyone other day they went the same time as the sri lankan's and the officals.....I dont believe in fxxxxing coincedences!

One reporter said it all for me - he was talking to some locals who have been thorugh all this terrible happenings in Pak for ages and he said that everyone had some hope left as they felt 'Well we still have our Cricket" - they dont even have that now :(

harsha
5th March 2009, 15:44
Hey India is pretty safe,ofcourse you do not have to take my word on it but Indians DO NOT tolerate terrorism...

Pakistan encouraged Terrorism against India and is now paying the price for it

ozrevhead
5th March 2009, 20:49
what happend in Mumbi then?

harsha
6th March 2009, 06:10
what happened in Mumbai is something similar to what happened in 9/11 new york city

India is not a place where you have to look around for a terrorist attack that might happen even as I type this..

you don't have to take my word for it,and i wouldn't blame ppl for feeling scared to visit the subcontinent..it just won't be the proper way to play cricket if they are not thinking of the game..

Storm
6th March 2009, 06:53
Yes there were bomb attacks in some cities and a horrible attack on Mumbai, but this is not considered "normal". It is due to militant outfits which are being harboured in Pak occupied Kashmir. Now these along with Taliban are biting Pak's a$$ too as their govt (Musharraf mainly) cosied up with the US war on terror. I can type this without fear of a bomb exploding, like it seems to happen in Pakistan every week. Yes some places are more vulnerable here too but then they exist all over the world.

By that token, nobody would be living/working in NYC and flying on airplanes again in the US.

ozrevhead
6th March 2009, 08:12
what happened in Mumbai is something similar to what happened in 9/11 new york city

India is not a place where you have to look around for a terrorist attack that might happen even as I type this..

you don't have to take my word for it,and i wouldn't blame ppl for feeling scared to visit the subcontinent..it just won't be the proper way to play cricket if they are not thinking of the game..
no where is really but Pak and India are next to each other - it wouldn that hard to go from one border to another

I dont think its safe for them to be in the subcontinent - some players want to go and that's their choice.....Safety of the players is more important than stroking the BCCI's ego :mad:

harsha
6th March 2009, 09:36
hard as it might sound to some,i felt safer in India than in Singapore or the US

555-04Q2
6th March 2009, 10:15
Bl@@dy Auzzies are giving us a klap at the moment :(

Camelopard
6th March 2009, 11:14
Yum, humble pie has never tasted so good! Well done Phil Hughes and what a way to bring up your maiden test century.

555-04Q2
6th March 2009, 14:39
Yum, humble pie has never tasted so good! Well done Phil Hughes and what a way to bring up your maiden test century.

Cheeky Auzzie :p :

Yeah, Hughes played well :up: Our bowling aint been that great though :(

Camelopard
6th March 2009, 23:05
Cheeky Auzzie :p :

Sorry 555, I wasn't having a go at South Africa, I was making a comment on a post that I had previously made about Hughes, again sorry for any confusion.

Ranger
8th March 2009, 20:13
Well, don't eat too much, he's 136 not out in innings two. :p :

A duck, a fifty and two hundreds in your first 4 innings. Not bad!

AndyRAC
8th March 2009, 20:41
Bl@@dy Auzzies are giving us a klap at the moment :(

And just wait until they get to England for The Ashes - ouch!!!

Camelopard
8th March 2009, 23:41

See what a bit of justified criticism can do!!!!! :)

Let's also hope that Mitch isn't overworked and burns out, is he going to the IPL this year?

555-04Q2
9th March 2009, 10:39
Sorry 555, I wasn't having a go at South Africa, I was making a comment on a post that I had previously made about Hughes, again sorry for any confusion.

No worries mate :) Even if you were, we deserve the criticism for the way we have been playing in the last two tests :(

555-04Q2
9th March 2009, 10:40
Well, don't eat too much, he's 136 not out in innings two. :p :

Good replacement for the legendary Maddy Hayden :up:

ShiftingGears
10th March 2009, 05:09
Brutal bowling from Mitchell Johnson.

Valve Bounce
10th March 2009, 05:49
There's still a chance for the Proteas to draw this match - it's not over until they get Duminy out.

555-04Q2
11th March 2009, 10:26
Well done Auzzies :up: They have pounded us at home :( Lets hopr the last test is more competitive :)

Camelopard
8th July 2009, 02:25
The Ashes!

Will the frist ball define the series like last time in Brisbane?

Is Thommo's opinion of Ponting correct?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/01/2613458.htm

Personnally I think he's right, but you would expect that, wouldn't you!

Has Hughes been sussed out by the pommy bowlers? He went very cheaply in the previous match, both times to Harmison with short pitched balls aimed at his body.

No Brett Lee, good or bad for Australia?

I'll watch the first session tonight but don't intend having a late one.

Camelopard
8th July 2009, 02:54
Will the frist ball.......

I really should proof raed(!) stuff befoe I hit enter!

Of course I meant first ball. :)

555-04Q2
8th July 2009, 11:16
The Ashes!

Will the frist ball define the series like last time in Brisbane?

Is Thommo's opinion of Ponting correct?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/01/2613458.htm

Personnally I think he's right, but you would expect that, wouldn't you!

Has Hughes been sussed out by the pommy bowlers? He went very cheaply in the previous match, both times to Harmison with short pitched balls aimed at his body.

No Brett Lee, good or bad for Australia?

I'll watch the first session tonight but don't intend having a late one.

Australia should walk this Ashes series. Brett Lee out is a good thing. He hasnt bowled well for a long time now.

AndyRAC
8th July 2009, 12:26
Australia should walk this Ashes series. Brett Lee out is a good thing. He hasnt bowled well for a long time now.

Australia to win 5-0! Well that's what Pigeon said.....as usual!!

555-04Q2
8th July 2009, 15:47
Australia to win 5-0! Well that's what Pigeon said.....as usual!!

No way. Not 5-0! Maybe 2-1 or 3-1 with one rained out draw.

Rollo
9th July 2009, 05:25
336-7 hardly seems like the imposing bowling arsenal which will cause a 5-0 loss. Grant that the English batsmen didn't set the world on fire, but they'd probably be another 50 or so runs up if Pietersen hadn't played such a stupid shot.
Prior's 56 just made Hilfenhaus and Hauritz look... silly.

Go on underestimating England, Australia. When Broad and Swann start firing, expect surprises.

AndyRAC
9th July 2009, 22:03
Ho-hum, Australia certainly made their intent fairly clear. Two fantastic innings by Punter & Katich, the English bowling was pretty toothless - which goes against what all the 'experts' were saying.

Rollo
10th July 2009, 01:14
The English tail wagged for 99 runs, whilst those same bowlers didn't seem to make much of an impact on Katich or Ponting.

Australia are probably good for about 500 on this pitch, and then England will do something equally as drawn out. This match is hurtling ever so slowly towards the dastardly land of the draw.

As the freight train of destiny, crashes straight through the Transit van of doom...

Rollo
12th July 2009, 21:30
That has to rank up there as one of the most nailbiting endings to a Test Match I've seen in a while. Yet the most significant innings was by Monty right at the end which yielded the following:

7*

In the end that little star is all that stood between Australia and victory. The real irony is that it was the rain itself which nearly gave Australia a win. Ponting told Radio 4 that Australia "probably scored too many runs" to force a result.
Maybe, but that's cutting it very very fine if that's the case.

Ranger
12th July 2009, 23:50
England bringing the physiotherapist onto the field for no reason in the final session was a bit dubious.

AndyRAC
13th July 2009, 07:30
England bringing the physiotherapist onto the field for no reason in the final session was a bit dubious.

A bit dubious?? It was rank, absolutely no need for it. Strauss should hang his head in shame, poor captaincy and then that. I'm all for playing hard, but that was 'pretty ordinary', as Punter said.

Rollo
14th July 2009, 00:02
Ponting is hardly what you'd call a bastion of the "Spirit of the Game", do we need to remind him of his "catch" of Ganguly in Sydney in January?

http://datastore.rediff.com/images/briefcase/56565C686468605965636E645E7064/yu9kei12aqn8wtcr.D.0.07ponting.jpg

And as for time wasting: 98 overs were planned for the day and 98 were bowled. The stalling for time didn't affect how many overs the Aussies were allowed, it just meant there would be no bonus overs. And if that's the case, then why didn't anyone ping Australia for bowling only 22 overs in the first session? You can't accuse the opposition of time wasting, when your own bowlers actually led to the delayed finish in the first place.

555-04Q2
15th July 2009, 15:56
Ponting is hardly what you'd call a bastion of the "Spirit of the Game", do we need to remind him of his "catch" of Ganguly in Sydney in January?

http://datastore.rediff.com/images/briefcase/56565C686468605965636E645E7064/yu9kei12aqn8wtcr.D.0.07ponting.jpg

And as for time wasting: 98 overs were planned for the day and 98 were bowled. The stalling for time didn't affect how many overs the Aussies were allowed, it just meant there would be no bonus overs. And if that's the case, then why didn't anyone ping Australia for bowling only 22 overs in the first session? You can't accuse the opposition of time wasting, when your own bowlers actually led to the delayed finish in the first place.

The time wasting by England was to get to within 9 minutes of the close of play so the innings change (if the last wicket fell) couldnt take place (10 minutes is required to change innings). It had nothing to do with overs bowled, just for England getting to 19 minutes to the hour.

Well done to Austrailia, a truly dominant performance. Bring on the second test.

Rollo
16th July 2009, 23:21
The time wasting by England was to get to within 9 minutes of the close of play so the innings change (if the last wicket fell) couldnt take place (10 minutes is required to change innings). It had nothing to do with overs bowled, just for England getting to 19 minutes to the hour.

It's a lovely little theory you have, it's a pity that's it's so horribly wrong. The actual operation of Law 16 tells you why:

http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-16-start-of-play-cessation-of-play,42,AR.html

Law 16 Start of Play, Cessation of Play:

6. Last hour of match - number of overs
When one hour of playing time of the match remains, according to the agreed hours of play, the over in progress shall be completed. The next over shall be the first of a minimum of 20 overs which must be bowled, provided that a result is not reached earlier and provided that there is no interval or interruption in play.
The umpire at the bowler's end shall indicate the commencement of this 20 overs to the players and the scorers. The period of play thereafter shall be referred to as the last hour, whatever its actual duration.

Ponting and Strauss had already agreed that there would be a minimum of 98 overs bowled in the day owing to 8 overs being lost on Day Four. Because Australia had only bowled 22 overs in the first session of Day Five, when England's 95th over came which was the 78th over in the day, it was already 05:22pm BST. The final over of the day happened 06:42pm which is well after the required 06:00pm, so there wouldn't have even been a change in innings anyway.

I should also point out that Day One of the Second Test finished at 06:10pm, so yet again Australia are bowling at a slow over rate.

Camelopard
19th July 2009, 12:16
Strauss showing that he is no better than punter:

http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/engine/current/match/345971.html

"Well, I have to say the replays of that Hughes dismissal did seem to indicate the ball hit the ground. Certainly there's no way the third umpire could have given it - but he wasn't asked. Billy Doctrove made the call from square leg to tell Koertzen it had carried. Throw in Katich being caught off a no-ball and the Australians will feel hard done by."

ha ha.................. Do I detect a conspiracy here?

But the poms invented the game therefore they can do what they like like............

Except it seems that the game originated in Northern Belgium.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7919429.stm

Rollo
20th July 2009, 08:08
Well I have no doubt that it wasn't a catch.

The question as we go into day 5 is twofold.

1. Can Australia chase down the highest fourth innings' winning target to win?
2. Did England declare far too early?

Australia was given two full days to chase down 500 runs. Not that that's impossible, but if I was the English captain I would have declared sometime either at lunch or before tea on Day Four. Ideally give the opposition 4 sessions to chase the target, but six I think is just asking to be thumped.

stevie_gerrard
20th July 2009, 11:02
1. Yes
2. No

Australia are a commanding side, we saw how well they did in Cardiff. They can easily get 200 today. However, if England were to bowl them out, then they needed as long as possible. I think it will end up being very tight, so i hope England did make the right decision not to add an extra 50 runs yesterday morning.

Rollo
20th July 2009, 12:57
Well actually:

1. No
2. Yes :D

...and with it the first England Ashes win at Lord's since 1934. 1-0 to the Eng-er-land.

Camelopard
21st July 2009, 07:54
Hmmm, I'm beginning to rethink my opinion of Hughes, let's hope he makes me eat my words again.

It also seems very possible that my wanting an English victory so that Punter, Nielsen and Hilditch are given the sack may in fact happen.

If the poms win the ashes this time, I guess the whole team will be given knighthoods as it would be hard to follow up on their rewards in 2005.

No changes in the Australian team for the next test? Drop Mitch untill he gets his head together, replace him with Clark or Lee? Marcus North, one score out of 4 innings at this level is not enough, same goes for Hughes. As for Hussey, even given his bad luck with incorrect decisions, he needs a spell, although I'd be tempted to put him up the order to first drop, drop punter down, what about opening with Haddin and putting Hughes down the order where his bad technique against fast bowling mighten be so obvious?

No doubt England had the better of the conditions and some very dubious decisions (actually downright atrociously incorrect ones) in their favour, it's getting to the stage where all decisions should be referred to the third umpire, surely there has to be some new blood out there in umpire land? About time Rudi retired and Billy was given a seeing eye dog, bring back Aleem Dar, well maybe not!

Any other of the very quiet aussies got anything to say?

millencolin
21st July 2009, 10:54
Mitch's bowling may still be up the creek, but his batting performance was a bright spot on a all round crap day yesterday. I don't think he needs to be dropped just yet... a 'tail ender' getting 60-odd runs is bloody valuable

Storm
22nd July 2009, 08:24
The look on Ponting's face during the last couple of days of this test - fun to see :)

Atleast he was gracious in his post match chat on tv.
I guess it was some PR though even he must have realised by now how stupid & whiny he comes off all the time when he opens his mouth.

555-04Q2
22nd July 2009, 11:21
Well done to England. A fine Test match win. The series is starting to get interesting with each team dominating a Test apiece. Bring on #3 :up:

stevie_gerrard
27th July 2009, 10:43
Was a great test at Lords, i'm looking forward to the Edgbaston one a lot now :D I genuinely think England can do it providing the aussies don't replace Johnson, whos leaking runs a lot at the moment.

Now i havent watched a lot of aussie tests since the loss of Warne, Mcgrath, etc, but i wondered if someone could tell me who out of the current bowling line up is a leader with the ball? I'm assuming it was meant to be Mitch but hes really struggled. Could Clark be brought in for his leadership qualities with the new ball?

harsha
30th July 2009, 02:38
I'd pick Australia to win this series....not that I'm a great Aussie fan or anything...just think that England with the injury doubts and KP being out will have a severe disadvantage

steve_spackman
30th July 2009, 02:44
Any good cricket games out for the PC?

harsha
30th July 2009, 03:24
ashes cricket 2009 is slated to come out in august this year i think...

should be worth a look at...

steve_spackman
30th July 2009, 03:26
ashes cricket 2009 is slated to come out in august this year i think...

should be worth a look at...

Cheers i shall look out for that.

Camelopard
1st August 2009, 00:55
Oh dear, the awful aussies have failed again, personally I think the selectors made a mistake in dropping Hughes. Hussey and North are the two I'd have gotten rid off and brought in Clarke or MacDonald(sp?).

How many times does a player have to fail at a critical time to get dropped, no wonder certain players don't seem to be trying very hard not to get out. Hussey, first ball, bowled leaving it! You don't get a 'sighter' at this level of cricket, even if your nickname is 'Mr Cricket'!

The sooner punter goes the better......................... rant over!

stevie_gerrard
3rd August 2009, 09:35
It is most likely that this test will end in a draw but ive been mightily impressed with how England have taken the game to Australia in an attempt to win the match despite nearly 2 days of rain! :eek:

Strauss isnt the best leader England has ever seen, but hes made some good decisions in this test and has lead from the front on the batting side of things, i think he deserves a lot of credit for what hes done so far. Obviously, if he was to win the ashes, that would make him as big a legend as Vaughan was in 2005.

555-04Q2
3rd August 2009, 11:08
I have to say that England are playing alright and, besides the first test, the Auzzies have been absolutely dreadfull this series, kinda like the All Blacks!

Daniel
3rd August 2009, 11:10
I have to say that England are playing alright and, besides the first test, the Auzzies have been absolutely dreadfull this series, kinda like the All Blacks!
Hey hey! The Aussies aren't as big chokers as the All Blacks! :p

555-04Q2
3rd August 2009, 11:18

:laugh: Have to agree with you there :laugh:

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2009, 16:00
Back to the good old days for England :up:

:bigcry:

Hawkmoon
7th August 2009, 19:03

All out for 102. :rotflmao:

Ahem. So, did England forget which end of the bat is which or did Australia finally remember how to bowl? Time will tell I suppose.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2009, 19:50
Reminds me of the Michael Atherton days :(

race_director
9th August 2009, 12:36

we have all blacks in cricket ? i must have been watching something elese all these years instead of cricket

race_director
9th August 2009, 12:38
anyway looks like ENGLAND gonna lose big time this time . pointing once again goona hang out with his wang out :(

Valve Bounce
9th August 2009, 14:17

Yeah!! they choked the living daylights out of the Poms, and it only took two and a half days.

555-04Q2
10th August 2009, 11:20
WOW! What a comeback by the Auzzie's :up:

Gonna be a great final Test :up:

stevie_gerrard
10th August 2009, 12:39
All the momentum with Australia, isn't that a familiar depressing story? :(

I've said it all series, Bopara needs to go. Yeh he may have been unlucky with his second innings dismissal but he simply is not in form and this is the problem England have had for ages. They keep their trust in players who are not at their best instead of sending them back to county cricket and getting their form back. Bring back Flintoff even if hes only 30% fit, it will be his last test match for England and the painkillers will get him through it.

I thought that Ian Bell was a natural number 3 for both county and country? He played at 3 numerous times i seem to remember, may be good to move him to 3, play Trott 4, Collingwood 5, Flintoff 6, Prior 7, Broad 8. As much as rob Key is an experienced batsmen, didn't he have a bad time of it last time he was drafted in to solve the problem?

Also, as much as Ramprakash has been smashing the runs off for his county, that counts for nothing in test cricket. I agree with the experts, leave him out, he had his chance previously.

ShiftingGears
10th August 2009, 14:27
Bopara has been crap all through the Ashes. If I were an English selector I'd drop him.
I'll be interested to see whether the selectors pick Stuart Clark for the final test. He was very underwhelming.

Valve Bounce
10th August 2009, 14:45
Bopara has been crap all through the Ashes. If I were an English selector I'd drop him.
I'll be interested to see whether the selectors pick Stuart Clark for the final test. He was very underwhelming.

Maybe Brett Lee gets a return.

stevie_gerrard
17th August 2009, 15:26
Brett looked very good in the lions game at the weekend, i think he probably deserves a chance if hes 100% fit, bring him in for clark and you have a menacing bowling line up.

555-04Q2
18th August 2009, 15:53
I heard that Trott is to play in the final test :?: How many South Africans does it take to make up an English Test Team :crazy:

Rollo
19th August 2009, 03:56
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090818/tod-playing-cricket-can-make-you-nicer-s-6058bda.html
Cricket can make people better behaved and more cooperative, according to research in Britain published Tuesday, which might surprise fans following the current Ashes series.
A study says cricket makes people better behaved and more cooperative. The study from Loughborough University in central England looked at the impact of StreetChance, a scheme which encourages young people in tough inner city areas of London to play cricket.
It found that the game helped them to boost confidence, improve communication and negotiation skills and take responsibility for decision-making, as well as improving their maths and team work.

See? There you go.

Dear Britain,
Please invade out country so that we might learn the ways of civilisation, being better behaved, afternoon tea and so that we can learn to play cricket and beat you at it like every other test playing nation except Zimbabwe who are quite mad.

Yours Sincerely,
The T.P.L.C.

PS: We hate the French too, if that helps.

CaptainRaiden
19th August 2009, 11:54
we have all blacks in cricket ? i must have been watching something elese all these years instead of cricket

The New Zealand Rugby team is called the All Blacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Blacks.

He was referring to how their Rugby team has been awful lately.

Jeez....

Rollo
21st August 2009, 02:27
England sort of stumbled to 307-8 at the end of Day One. It was an odd sort of day really. The press seem to think that England struggled but 307 is a terrible score really, it's a sort of a nothing score.

The litmus test to see how good it actually is will be on days three and four when the pitch starts to deteriorate. 307 in the context of the game might very well prove to be entirely adequate.

emporer_k
21st August 2009, 17:30
england 332 all out
austarlia 160 all out

englands score seems rather good now.

Camelopard
23rd August 2009, 03:19
Well the other ozzies that are usually going 'oi oi oi' have been very quiet, so I guess I'lll have to say something. brilliant bowling by Board.

'Mr Cricket' shows his class yet again when under pressure, Callum Ferguson must be very happy waiting in the wings! Most of the aussies batsmen have shown that they are flat track bullies.

Who says it harder to get dropped from the Australian cricket team than it is to get in to it?

Maybe I'll get my pre series wish that Australia will lose and hopefully then it will be realised that 'punter' although a very good batsman is a dud captain.

Bring back Warnie and make him captain, I say!

rant over.

Camelopard
23rd August 2009, 04:11
[quote="Camelopard"]Well the other ozzies that are usually going 'oi oi oi' have been very quiet, so I guess I'lll have to say something. brilliant bowling by Board./[quote]

Damn, I hate making spelling mistakes, of course I meant Stuart Broad. I saw in todays paper that Stuart's dad says his son's improved performance is partly down to the confrontation at Edgbaston with Mitch. :)

If I can find a link I'll post it.

Camelopard
23rd August 2009, 04:14
.....brilliant bowling by Board.

Damn, I hate making spelling mistakes, of course I meant Stuart Broad. I saw in todays paper that Stuart's dad says his son's performance is partly down to being reved up after the confrontation at Edgbaston with Mitch. :)

If I can find a link I'll post it.

GridGirl
23rd August 2009, 11:29
I was glad to see Trott get a century yesterday. Although I'm not sure I want too see another Warwickshire batsmen get into the England squad seeing as the county side are not doing great as it is. Grr

Robinho
23rd August 2009, 15:29
Aus 238-5, still need over 300 more and England have another day (if they don't finish it today) to bowl them out, the balance is very muchi n the favour of the England team at the moment

Robinho
23rd August 2009, 17:35
nearly there now 343-8, 2 wickets to win the ashes

Robinho
23rd August 2009, 17:37
343-9, Harmison on a hat-trick, what a way to end it - can he do it?

no apparently not, but a 2 wicket maiden, should finish it off with a day to spare

MrJan
23rd August 2009, 17:42
So, so close.

Robinho
23rd August 2009, 17:49
oh yeah, get in

MrJan
23rd August 2009, 17:51
Thrashed the buggers

Rollo
24th August 2009, 02:08
Dear Australia,

I found this in a cookbook; it may be of some use.

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
Salt and pepper
Cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them. Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream. Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

Enjoy.

ozrevhead
24th August 2009, 02:58
I was going to congratulate you guys but since your being as sporting as OJ Simpson I'd rather choke on my own weetbix - nothing worse then sore winners :mad:

As for Australia well today we gifted the wickets away - there was no deamons or granades out there, worst performance by an Australain Team - there are a few changes I'd make

M Clarke should be our Captain[/*:m:cwfzykos]
Sack the secletors - poor selection choices (no s clark untill the last test where we needed a spinner instead etc.)[/*:m:cwfzykos]
Retirement for hussey, hugues back in[/*:m:cwfzykos]
Siddle your not up to it[/*:m:cwfzykos]
Pick either Hauritz or Krezja and stick with them come rain hail or shine.[/*:m:cwfzykos]
Stop being so ****n nice - we were able to win the test matches because we bet the teams mentally before a ball was bowled. Who cares if the Poms or Indians dont like us. ACA have created a bunch of pansies! :mad: :mad:[/*:m:cwfzykos]
Attitude adjustment - everyones playing for themselves not the team[/*:m:cwfzykos]

Camelopard
24th August 2009, 03:13
I really hope we get drawn in the same pool as the poms in the next soccer World Cup in South Africa, now to beat the poms at soccer that really would be something!

ozrevhead
24th August 2009, 03:15
I really hope we get drawn in the same pool as the poms in the next soccer World Cup in South Africa, now to beat the poms at soccer that really would be something!
woudnt it just :D either that or beat the Poms in hosting 2018

Camelopard
24th August 2009, 03:23
Weren't they given OBEs and MBEs last time? What sort of rewards will the pommy team get this time, Knighthoods?

Australia may have slipped to number 4, but they are still in front of England in the world rankings.

AndyRAC
24th August 2009, 08:09
Weren't they given OBEs and MBEs last time? What sort of rewards will the pommy team get this time, Knighthoods?

Australia may have slipped to number 4, but they are still in front of England in the world rankings.

I'm a Pom, and it feels strange - I'm not sure the best team won. Australia must feel sick being beaten by a pretty average team, and a team without a middle order. Remember, this team beat South Africa in South Africa, they'll be back, no worries.

MrJan
24th August 2009, 08:13
I was going to congratulate you guys but since your being as sporting as OJ Simpson I'd rather choke on my own weetbix - nothing worse then sore winners :mad:

You Aussies know all about being sore winners too :p :

Retirement for hussey, hugues back in

Hussey puts on 121 and stays at the crease until the very last while the rest of his team collapse around him and you repay him with being dropped?

Camelopard
24th August 2009, 08:43
Hussey puts on 121 and stays at the crease until the very last while the rest of his team collapse around him and you repay him with being dropped?

Go back and read some of my previous posts in this thread, Hussey aka 'mr cricket' has not performed when needed except when chasing a highly improbable 540+ 4th innings score to win.

I don't mind you poms being sore winners, however I don't like all the poms who live out here because it's a great country, keeping their british citizenship and bagging anything ozzie including sporting teams and moaning on and on about how much they like the royal family and how we shouldn't be a republic.
That also includes all the kiwis that have come here 'coz they can't get jobs in NZ and they constantly put poo on this place and say how much better the awl blicks are at rugby and how much better things are at home (as if!).

rant over.................. :)

stevie_gerrard
24th August 2009, 14:38

As for Australia well today we gifted the wickets away - there was no deamons or granades out there, worst performance by an Australain Team - there are a few changes I'd make

M Clarke should be our Captain[/*:m:c6e221oi]
Sack the secletors - poor selection choices (no s clark untill the last test where we needed a spinner instead etc.)[/*:m:c6e221oi]
Retirement for hussey, hugues back in[/*:m:c6e221oi]
Siddle your not up to it[/*:m:c6e221oi]
Pick either Hauritz or Krezja and stick with them come rain hail or shine.[/*:m:c6e221oi]
Stop being so ****n nice - we were able to win the test matches because we bet the teams mentally before a ball was bowled. Who cares if the Poms or Indians dont like us. ACA have created a bunch of pansies! :mad: :mad:[/*:m:c6e221oi]
Attitude adjustment - everyones playing for themselves not the team[/*:m:c6e221oi]

I think it is fairly obvious that neither England or Australia deserved to win this series. When England were poor, they were awful. When England were good, they were very good. When Australia were good, they were devestating. When Australia were poor, they really were as bad as England.

England won back the ashes because they won the big battles. First win at Lords in 73 years. Holding on at Cardiff, Bowled brilliantly at the Oval. There are so many examples of where the ashes were won. Sometimes the main contribution was poor batting or poor umpiring (Has there ever been an Ashes series with so many poor decisions???) but both sides showed their quality.

From the list, i tend to agree with some of the points. M Clarke will make an excellent captain and i do think that Ponting needs to relieve his duties to concentrate on his own performance, because i think hes struggling now. Needs a fresh face. Though saying that, would love to see him back in 4 years as captain so we can make him the first australian captain to lose 3 ashes series in England :p :

Very strange to leave Hauritz out at the Oval. If they had brought him in for Clark, i reckon Australia would have won despite the fact hes not the best spinner. Although conceding a lot of runs, i was impressed with Krezja on the tour of India (i think that was his debut series?) when you need wickets, he seems to be the man for the job.

Hussey batted brilliantly at the Oval, and i think it would be harsh to drop him when he has made some big runs more recently. I think the fact he finally has another century under his belt will have the same effect that it did for Hayden back in 2005, when his place was under pressure before hitting a century and batting beautifully in 2007. I think he deserves one more tour to prove himself. I do think Phillip Hughes is a star of the future, and once he learns how to play a controlled game instead of trying to smash every ball, he will be a great opener for Australia.

I think its incredibly harsh to say that Siddle should go when he was one of Australias top wicket takers! Bowled better than Hilfenhaus in my opinion and looks a top player for the future as well. can score some very handy runs lower down the order too.

England still need some refinement. Collingwood could be the next one to find himself getting the chop, and providing Bopara continues his resurgence in county cricket (double century after being dropped from England), then he could be brought back into the squad. Cook looks vunerable as well after a very poor series with only one score. Anderson may need to prove something as well in the next tour because Sidebottom is hot on his heels.

I'm looking forward to the tour of South Africa this winter. That tour will prove how far we have gone in 4 years. If we are as good as we are meant to be having beaten Australia at home in 2005 and 2009, then we should be competitive against the number one side in the world at test level.

Camelopard
25th August 2009, 01:17
I know that I have never had an original thought in my life, so why start now.

Some of the comments from here are good.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/fairweather-pom-cricket-fans-enjoy-moment-in-the-sun/2009/08/24/1251001857685.html

I must admit that I didn't know that Prior was a South African, that must make nearly half the team from SA.

Strauss,
Trott,
Prior,
Petersen,
Koertzen,

althought the last 2 didn't play in all tests!

"Sure, Andrew Strauss claimed the Ashes. But how do we know he didn't scoop them up on the half-volley?"

I'm truely glad that the most famous English "South African" of all, Toni Greig wasn't commentating....................

555-04Q2
25th August 2009, 11:04
I know that I have never had an original thought in my life, so why start now.

Some of the comments from here are good.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/fairweather-pom-cricket-fans-enjoy-moment-in-the-sun/2009/08/24/1251001857685.html

I must admit that I didn't know that Prior was a South African, that must make nearly half the team from SA.

Strauss,
Trott,
Prior,
Petersen,
Koertzen,

althought the last 2 didn't play in all tests!

"Sure, Andrew Strauss claimed the Ashes. But how do we know he didn't scoop them up on the half-volley?"

I'm truely glad that the most famous English "South African" of all, Toni Greig wasn't commentating....................

There is a standing joke in South Africa that England are our "B" team :D Even Monty Panesar has his roots in Durban.

Well done to the England though. Great series win. Australia slip to fourth on the Test Rankings List :s hock:

Daniel
25th August 2009, 11:08
I think it's an absolute joke that South Africans are allowed to play for the English team. If they can't field a decent team of Englishmen they should lose like they're done most times in the last 20 years.....

555-04Q2
25th August 2009, 11:14
I think it's an absolute joke that South Africans are allowed to play for the English team. If they can't field a decent team of Englishmen they should lose like they're done most times in the last 20 years.....

Its the England way. Look at their rugby union side. Its got ex South Africans too :s hock:

Daniel
25th August 2009, 11:23
Its the England way. Look at their rugby union side. Its got ex South Africans too :s hock:
Personally I think if someone does this they should lose their rights as a South African and never be given the opportunity to live in SA again.

Ranger
25th August 2009, 11:48
Good win by England. Some dubious moments during the series but ultimately Australia weren't good enough.

It doesn't excuse the 9 consecutively terrible innings that preceded it.

Hughes was dropped for much less.

Camelopard
25th August 2009, 13:24
Good win by England. Some dubious moments during the series but ultimately Australia weren't good enough.

It doesn't excuse the 9 consecutively terrible innings that preceded it.

Hughes was dropped for much less.

I agree, but people only remember your last innings!

richermartyn
29th August 2009, 07:20
Thank you,
I am Richer Martyn,
I like the information you shared. I extremely thank you. Be connected with me and help after this time also.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th May 2010, 19:52
England beat Australia to win the World Twenty20!! :D

harsha
17th May 2010, 05:20
Congratulations World XI

Camelopard
22nd July 2010, 07:01
Well done Pakistan to bowl the aussies out for 88, I just hope they can go on and win this one.

punter gave the opposition a free kick when after winning the toss he decided to bat!
Is there a decent captain any where else that would not have put the opposition in, given the ground conditions?

Bring on the ashes this summer, if punter is still captain, I'll be backing england, whoops I mean the World XI. :)

555-04Q2
23rd July 2010, 15:49
Murali hits 800 test wickets. Quite amazing.

Camelopard
24th July 2010, 08:40
Murali hits 800 test wickets. Quite amazing.

At least he has now retired which hopefully will mean the end of changing rules just to allow bowlers with a rather dubious action to compete! :)

Whilst I'm stirring the pot, can anyone out there tell me that Hussey or North deserve their places in the side, I really hope the selectors show some balls and make major changes for the Ashes. The 2 test against India will be a good chance to bed in some new talent...................... OK North took 6 wickets in the last test, but I'm sure he was picked as a batsman!

There used to be an old saying that it was harder to get dropped from the Australian team, than it was to get picked for it.........

Camelopard
24th July 2010, 11:55
Well that was close, the aussies nearly pulled it out of the fire, well done Pakistan and bad luck Australia, a few more runs from their 'batsmen' could have made all the difference.

I can't remember who said this, maybe Roy or HG, but "the aussie batsmen need to have a good, long, hard look at themselves....." :)

Camelopard
6th August 2010, 16:12
Good reading:

http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/471156.html

"With Australia's batting line-up showing regular brittleness - 160 at The Oval (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/345974.html), 150 against West Indies in Perth (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/406191.html), 127 in Sydney (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/406200.html) and 88 at Headingley (http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/426395.html) - they need the No.6 to be capable of stability. In those four innings North scratched 8, 1, 20 and 16."

Brown, Jon Brow
31st August 2010, 18:49
What does everyone think about the betting scandal involving Pakistan players?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/8957755.stm

Englands criketers are asking for the Pakistan players involved to be banned. I agree. Any form of scandal in sport just makes us not want to watch it.

555-04Q2
7th September 2010, 11:35
What does everyone think about the betting scandal involving Pakistan players?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/8957755.stm

Englands criketers are asking for the Pakistan players involved to be banned. I agree. Any form of scandal in sport just makes us not want to watch it.

Then don't watch sport at all as cheating, doping etc happens in all sports. Sad, but a fact of life.

Eki
7th September 2010, 11:44
jGLsAkeRd84

Just trying to get into the mood.

Eki
7th September 2010, 11:48
Hey, there's a Finnish Cricket association! You learn something new everyday.

http://www.cricketfinland.com/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/English/Menu/News

555-04Q2
2nd November 2010, 19:16
Phew! Nearly threw it away against Pakistan again :crazy: RSA 2-1 up :)

Camelopard
30th November 2010, 10:15
Hmmm, interesting first Ashes test.

Some Australians batsmen ended up as I expected they would in the first innings, Ponting, Clarke, North failed, gee what a surprise, Hussey redeemed himself, however if Aleem Dar had got it right it may have been a very different outcome when Hussey was in the eighties. Apart from that blemish the umpires had a very good game unlike Rudi in previous series who could be guaranteed to to get some very important decisions wrong.

I can only hope that Hussey's form continues, Punter showed what a crap pitch it had become and more importantly how he manages to score runs when when there is no pressure on him and the team, by his second innings dig. Like a lot of his team he can't perform when the pressure is really on.

There seems to be a malaise in the team that can't just be put down to the players having a bad test. I don't need to restate my dislike for Nielsen as a coach and as for Hilditch still being a selector, he should have made way for Chappell and not Merv Hughes, Hilditch was a crap cricketer and an even worse selector imo.

Clarke has always been a disruptive influence in the team even though he has apparently split with the Bingle woman. So why don't they pick some one that that doesn't have any baggage and more importantly, no injury concerns.

Congrats to Peter Siddle, what an inspired piece of bowling to earn himself a hat trick on the first day and a very welcome birthday present for him.

I don't understand why they don't they play Watson down the order as an all rounder and pick 2 specialist openers.

As I have stated previously I would be happy to see Oz loose to the S.A. second eleven if it means punter and neilsen are sacked and as a proud Aussie supporter, it hurts to say this.

To quote Shane Warne who still seems to have the best cricket brain in Australia, the batsmen in the team have become like koalas.

That is, they (the batsmen) are a protected species........

As I have said many times before, it seems that it is more difficult to get dropped from the Australian team that it is to get picked for it!.......

ShiftingGears
30th November 2010, 11:29
That is, they (the batsmen) are a protected species

Yep. No idea why North is in the team.

Also, Clarke is likely to be test captain of Australia once Ponting retires. Cannot picture that.

Camelopard
3rd December 2010, 00:59
FFS, how embarrassing for the Aussies, punter's demeanour when questioned by the press about Mitch being dropped says it all.

It seems that Clarke is a quick learner, punter was giving him batting tips the other day:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iX3p9Oa5xfsI_LzKb4A-OyMd4Lyg?docId=CNG.a9d4b3fe0478a236ada6517e35f1c26 9.481

Time for some new blood..............

555-04Q2
3rd December 2010, 04:55
"Punter" is one of the most successful batsmen in the history of Test and ODI cricket and one of the most successful captains of all time too. I don't think he needs any tips from a lightie!

Camelopard
3rd December 2010, 05:42
"Punter" is one of the most successful batsmen in the history of Test and ODI cricket and one of the most successful captains of all time too. I don't think he needs any tips from a lightie!

I was being sarcastic (:rolleyes :) as punter was out first ball he faced and Clarke didn't manage to face many more....... :p

So is North's 26 a success? Still don't think they will drop him, especially seeing as the next test in his home state.

Camelopard
7th December 2010, 00:35
Well done England (or is it well done Southern Africa? :) :) ).

Surely that has to have been North's last chance! Do the selectors have the guts to drop punter mid series, maybe he'll do a 'Kim Hughes' and retire.

There is something seriously wrong in the team regarding attitude, they are world class players including the bowlers who shouldn't just capitulate like they have done recently.

At least Clarke managed to get some runs this time and if Katich is injured who do you pick in place of him? Warnie has already been asked to make a comeback, unfortunately it seems he said no.

Where are all the Engerland supporters? Rub it in to us Aussies whilst you can!

Bring on Perth.........

Rollo
7th December 2010, 01:15
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50322000/jpg/_50322240_flags.jpg

Swann got 5 wickets, Pietersen's 227, Cook made 148, and Australia have had their first innings defeat since the West Indies hammered them in 1993.

To sum up:
England win by 1 inning, 71 runs, 5 wickets, 11 players, 1 country, hundreds of alcoholic beverages, a quarter of a flag and entire language.

And CricInfo are too craven to acknowledge the result:
http://twitpic.com/3dm0ze

AndyRAC
7th December 2010, 13:08

Surely that has to have been North's last chance! Do the selectors have the guts to drop punter mid series, maybe he'll do a 'Kim Hughes' and retire.

There is something seriously wrong in the team regarding attitude, they are world class players including the bowlers who shouldn't just capitulate like they have done recently.

At least Clarke managed to get some runs this time and if Katich is injured who do you pick in place of him? Warnie has already been asked to make a comeback, unfortunately it seems he said no.

Where are all the Engerland supporters? Rub it in to us Aussies whilst you can!

Bring on Perth.........

Yeah, the best England side South Africa has produced; Strauss, Prior, Trott, Pietersen, etc ;)
Why did Clarke apologise on Twitter for not walking - ridiculous.
Have England won 1 Test or the series 5-0?? The media have gone OTT....Wind yer necks in!!

Brown, Jon Brow
7th December 2010, 20:11
The Aussies bowling attack just seems really weak. It is hard to see them taking 20 wickets in a game at the minute.

Daniel
7th December 2010, 21:31

:rotflmao: So true. I think there is something really wrong about a player who has lived most of their life in one country and was born there to suddenly start playing for another. Personally I think people like this should be banned from playing international sport for life. If someone was born in one country and then moved at a young age to another then I could understand them playing for either country but to start playing professionally in the country of your birth and then move is rubbish. It's just club cricket but with misleading flags....

The only thing worse than these players is English/Australian/Whatever supporters that cheer them on as if they're English/Australian/Whatever

555-04Q2
8th December 2010, 05:24
I don't care where our players are from, as long as they are flying the English flag I don't care. :)

Its refreshing to see us back to winning ways in sport. Motorsport, Rugby, and now cricket!! We just need a football team now.. :D

But it is not England that is winning. Half the team are from another country. FFS, I played against KP in a club game here when he still had African blood in his veins and a green passport. You can't paint a leopard and call it a lion, its still a leopard no matter what shirt it wears!

Camelopard
8th December 2010, 06:08
But it is not England that is winning. Half the team are from another country. FFS, I played against KP in a club game here when he still had African blood in his veins and a green passport. You can't paint a leopard and call it a lion, its still a leopard no matter what shirt it wears!

I was only making a joke about "Southern Africa" the :) should have been a give away. I said this rather than "South Africa" as the coach or "team director" is Andy Flowers who was born in Zimbabwe.

Personally I don't care where the players come from and who they play for as long as cricket is strong!

The majority of the batsmen and the wk may be originally from South Africa, but I believe all the bowlers that have played in the first 2 tests were born in the UK.

They performed extremely well to bowl Australia out in Adelaide like they did, because if they had bowled like the Australians, the second test probably would have been a draw as well.

Maybe the fact that there are so many South Africans in the English side points to issues within SA cricket........

Daniel
8th December 2010, 07:23
Maybe the fact that there are so many South Africans in the English side points to issues within SA cricket........

That is certainly true. But when the best players are going to play for England then there are always going to be problems with South African cricket.

555-04Q2
8th December 2010, 10:46

Its our quota system that drives professional sportsmen overseas, particularly to the European region. Politics and sport don't mix!

Camelopard
9th December 2010, 06:05
KP has been having some fun. Guess he'll really be upset at the loss of 3 points.........

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/09/3089404.htm?section=justin

Camelopard
16th December 2010, 03:13
Here we go again, Oz are 3 for not very many..... A good toss to win, me thinks!

Brown, Jon Brow
16th December 2010, 13:06
Good first day for England. Australia all out for 268. :D

ShiftingGears
16th December 2010, 17:06
...And Mitchell Johnson top scores![

QUOTE=Brown, Jon Brow;871988]Good first day for England. Australia all out for 268. :D [/QUOTE]

Yeah, Australia are not going to win this test series.

I can't see them winning a test match this series either.

Valve Bounce
18th December 2010, 22:33
...And Mitchell Johnson top scores![

QUOTE=Brown, Jon Brow;871988]Good first day for England. Australia all out for 268. :D

Yeah, Australia are not going to win this test series.

I can't see them winning a test match this series either.[/QUOTE]

How things change. The Aussis decided to lift their game to put an end to the Bring Back Warnie campaign. Now even Liz Hurley has dumped him and the campaign has ground to a sudden halt - nobody wants to see Warnie back. :p :

Daniel
18th December 2010, 22:35
Anyone who rules out the Aussies in a cricket match does so at their own peril.

Camelopard
19th December 2010, 03:26
Well done Australia, although to be quite honest I thought that England would easily score the runs required to take this test, over 2 full days on a very good batting pitch they should have able to do what South Africa did a few years ago.

Still a few questions for Australia, is Hughes the answer at opener? Will punter play in the next test (personally I hope not!) seeing as he has broken a finger.
Drop Clarke down the order? and move Hussey up, after all he has been coming in very early anyway. One of the commentators said that Hussey has scored over half the Australians runs.

What happened to England? All the pressure is now back on them, how could they bat so badly in 2 innings after such good performances in the first 2 tests?

This test was a good example of why Test cricket is still such a good game, bring on Melbourne......

Valve Bounce
19th December 2010, 04:34
What happened to England? All the pressure is now back on them, how could they bat so badly in 2 innings after such good performances in the first 2 tests?

There was an article in one of the papers a couple of days ago: the coach of Western Australia used to coach South Africa last year, and he said that the Proteas took the game up to the Poms by bouncing them and it worked. This is exactly what the Aussis did, and the Poms didn't like it; and apart from things getting nasty down in the trenches, the Poms were bounced out.

Daniel
19th December 2010, 09:06
There was an article in one of the papers a couple of days ago: the coach of Western Australia used to coach South Africa last year, and he said that the Proteas took the game up to the Poms by bouncing them and it worked. This is exactly what the Aussis did, and the Poms didn't like it; and apart from things getting nasty down in the trenches, the Poms/Sarf Efricans were bounced out.

Edited for accuracy :D

Daniel
19th December 2010, 09:15
Yeah, the best England side South Africa has produced; Strauss, Prior, Trott, Pietersen, etc ;)
Why did Clarke apologise on Twitter for not walking - ridiculous.
Have England won 1 Test or the series 5-0?? The media have gone OTT....Wind yer necks in!!

This makes me laugh even more now :) 2 matches through with 1 draw and a win for England the media seemed to be acting like it was a foregone conclusion that England were going to win. Ffs!!!! This is Australia we're talking about and more often than not they rise to the occasion and fight back strongly and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of the Australian team in any way shape or form.

ShiftingGears
19th December 2010, 13:07
An excellent victory by Australia, was gladly proven wrong. How quickly things change - especially Mitchell Johnson's form. A brilliant return of form after a horrendous slump. Still quite confused at Hughes' selection. He was out of form joining the test team, and did nothing with the bat, while in-form state players like Callum Ferguson were overlooked.

Daniel
19th December 2010, 17:21
If England don't win this I'll blame the South Africans.. :D

:up: :rotflmao:

AndyRAC
19th December 2010, 17:45
Well done to Australia, very good performance, expecially from Hussey, Johnson and Harris. Surely Ponting, Clarke and others will get big runs soon. England were pretty gutless this morning. Not a good sign.
Contest back on, should be good!!

555-04Q2
20th December 2010, 05:41
Knew this would be a close ashes and it is proving to be. I think it will be a drawn series though :(

555-04Q2
20th December 2010, 05:44
If England don't win this I'll blame the South Africans.. :D

Well at least the decent SA players we kept are giving the Indians a bloody good hiding in the first test :D

This is not the India I know though :s hock: They are way better than what they pitched up with. Hopefully they will come right in the second test. Well done to Tendulkar on his 50th test century :crazy:

Camelopard
26th December 2010, 06:33
Normal service has resumed........

ffs, 98? give me a break.

Mind you it was a good toss to win, but all credit to the Poms, they bowled very, very well. Dean Jones said something along the lines of whoever bats first needs to be zero wickets down at lunch.........

At this rate it could be all over in 2 days.

Hopefully the aussies will loose by an innings and there will be a clean out before the Sydney test and 'punter' will ride off into the sunset regretting the fact that he didn't get out when the going was good.

Bring back Warnie.................................... I say.............. :)

Koz
26th December 2010, 07:12
Normal service has resumed........

ffs, 98? give me a break.

Mind you it was a good toss to win, but all credit to the Poms, they bowled very, very well. Dean Jones said something along the lines of whoever bats first needs to be zero wickets down at lunch.........

At this rate it could be all over in 2 days.

Hopefully the aussies will loose by an innings and there will be a clean out before the Sydney test and 'punter' will ride off into the sunset regretting the fact that he didn't get out when the going was good.

Bring back Warnie.................................... I say.............. :)

I can see Warnie saving a batting collapse :p

Would be nice to see both openers get centuries :)

Rollo
26th December 2010, 22:56
In terms of a day's play, yesterday ranks up there as being almost perfect for the English.

They have a ten wicket plus a 59 run lead. This was Australia's lowest first innings score at the MCG in history. Wisden tells me that they even posted 104 in 1877.
England at this point should consider going after Victoria's record of 1107. I figure that they could get it and still have time to spare to take another ten wickets. :D

Koz
27th December 2010, 05:52
What a disgrace the aussies are...

I don't know what's worse, Lady Ponting and her PMS or the wonderful crowd booing a batsman walking to the crease, or some of the crowd cheering when a batsman gets hit...

All up, classless.

Edit: Anyone want to enlighten me on all that Pietersen hating?

Camelopard
27th December 2010, 23:26
So after "punter's" petulant outburst yesterday, are there any Australians on this forum that are going to defend his tantrum?

Bring back Warnie, at least he had some class! :D

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/nothing-better-than-boxing-day-at-the-mcg--unless-you-get-a-duck-20101223-196ml.html (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/pontings-men-are-humiliated-20101226-197wt.html)

From the above link, Dean Jones, remember that this written before the start of play.

"Of batting in the first session, former Test and Victorian batsman Dean Jones advised: ''Every ball that is pitched up has to be treated carefully. It might look like a Christmas present, but treat it as if it has a bomb in it. DO NOT DRIVE IT, no matter how good it looks.''

"If your team is 0-35 at lunch then you are winning. Wickets are the priority, not runs. Don't panic because you will make hay after lunch when the pitch settles down. You must back your defence, and let the bowlers bowl to you. Batting gets easier on this pitch as the game goes on,....................."

Brown, Jon Brow
28th December 2010, 11:44
England look like they are set for victory. This is clearly because the Aussies are crap.

Rollo
28th December 2010, 22:00
At the beginning of Day 4, England are 4 wickets away from retaining The Ashes; they have 12 hours of play to do it in. Unless there is a very very massive wag from the Australian tail, you could bet your house on it.

Rollo
29th December 2010, 00:58
ENGLAND RETAIN THE ASHES The win was by an innings and 157 runs...

People of England: Wake up the neighbours, set off the car alarm, make the dogs howl and jab your loved ones so they're awake - it's your DUTY

People of Australia: Get the mowing done you lazy gets.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th December 2010, 22:14
Englands bowling attack has been amazing this series.

ShiftingGears
30th December 2010, 13:52
Englands bowling attack has been amazing this series.

Indeed, they've been most excellent.

Selectors drop Ponting citing his injured finger, which was the easy excuse that they were going to make. Even though he clearly didn't appear to suffer from it at all.

Hopefully Usman Khawaja can do something more with the bat.

Michael Clarke has been pretty woeful as well.

ShiftingGears
30th December 2010, 13:58
ENGLAND RETAIN THE ASHES The win was by an innings and 157 runs...

People of England: Wake up the neighbours, set off the car alarm, make the dogs howl and jab your loved ones so they're awake - it's your DUTY

People of Australia: Get the mowing done you lazy gets.

It's certainly going to be an interesting time ahead seeing how Australian cricket is going to reshape itself. I suspect there will be a lot more new blood in the team come the next post-Ashes test.

Camelopard
5th January 2011, 12:14
Different captain, same result.................

Australia needs to go back to basics, pick opening batsmen that are openers, pick bowlers that can bowl a variety of balls, pick a spinner and stick with them.

The Australian Cricket board have a lot to answer for, if they had supported Andrew Symonds, as they should of, instead of kowtowing to the ICB, he may still be playing for Australia and doing a lot better than many of the current players......

Also, if the ACB had given their support to the best spin bowler to ever play the game, he would probably still be playing and probably be the captain.

Instead they decided to go with a loser (punter) who allegedly was punched out by a transsexual after he made inappropriate pass at them, this allegedly happened in a very well frequented late night establishment in Kings Cross.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/oct/29/cricket.features1

After watching Warnie bowl during the cricket show yesterday, I have no doubt that he still has the ability to play test cricket and listening to his commentary I think he has one of the most astute cricket brains around.

Hilditch (who by the way was a very, very ordinary cricketer and is no better as a selector) has a lot to answer for, he needs to go as does Clarke, (that was a good shot he got out to in the first innings, wasn't it?).

I'd also be inclined to p*ss Hadden off and pick Paine as Hadden's shot selection in the first innings when Australia was in trouble was verging on the ridiculous, maybe he was just p*ssed off with the crap performance of the so called 'batsmen' in the team. Watson is NOT an opener.............

Mind you, this takes nothing away from the poms, they have played very, very well and have given the 'Ashes' the attention and importance that this series deserves.

Australia thought they could just turn up and pretend to be interested and the series would be theirs, ho hum..............

any comment vb?

Brown, Jon Brow
6th January 2011, 13:45
Another day of total English (and South African) dominance! :D

Retro Formula 1
6th January 2011, 13:52
Australia's performance has really taken the enjoyment out of winning the Ashes. Apart from one match, it's been totally one sided and really rather embarrassing.

I'm very glad we have retained the Ashes but please Australia, sort yourselves out. It's not even fun to take the p*ss out of the current team.

ShiftingGears
6th January 2011, 15:57
The Australian Cricket board have a lot to answer for, if they had supported Andrew Symonds, as they should of, instead of kowtowing to the ICB, he may still be playing for Australia and doing a lot better than many of the current players......

Symonds had his chances, he only has himself to blame for his actions. If he knew how to get his act together it wouldn't have been a problem.

As for Hilditch, well...I am interested to know what the criteria for appointing a selector is.

555-04Q2
7th January 2011, 05:10
Australia = :s hock:

Camelopard
7th January 2011, 10:42
Symonds had his chances, he only has himself to blame for his actions. If he knew how to get his act together it wouldn't have been a problem.

Sorry I disagree, Symo was hung out to dry by the ACB because they didn't want to upset the current force/money in the game, that is, India.

How come someone can call another player a 'monkey' and nothing is done about it by anyone, including the ICC or the ACB? All hail the great God money!!!!!! :mad:

No wonder Symo was pissed off, I'd probably take to drink as well............

As stated earlier I really hoped Australia would loose, (very un Australian, I know) so that it would mean the end of punter, but even I never imagined it would be as embarrassing as this and this time we can't even blame incompetent umpires from the dark continent!

But as I have said repeatedly, England played way above what anyone expected and good on them for putting test cricket first rather than being mesmerised by the big dollars of the hit and giggle game.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th January 2011, 13:53
Nothing like a smiling pom! :D

Valve Bounce
7th January 2011, 23:15
I have come to the inescapable conclusion that the third test in Perth was fixed. :(

MrJan
8th January 2011, 01:22
What do you call a successful Aussie cricketer?

Retired :D

Seriously bad time for the Aussies, toothless bowling and giving away wickets far too easily. When you look at the number of centuries that England batsmen got during the series it becomes clear how bad the bowling problem is for Australia.

Gotta love Swanny though, seems to bring a great energy to the team.
TQiInLXGkw8

Camelopard
8th January 2011, 02:04
The arrogance of Hilditch knows no bounds, his refusal to take any blame for the thrashing of the team he helped pick is unbelievable.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/players-beaten-not-panel-hilditch-20110107-19iqs.html

The selectors "had done a very good job" my rear end.............. :mad:

Meanwhile on a brighter note, the Southern Stars take a 2 nil lead against England in their series.

In the second game, Australia won by 9 wickets...... (yes I know I'm clutching at straws, but it is all in good fun :) )

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/474618.html

CaptainRaiden
8th January 2011, 02:14
Sorry I disagree, Symo was hung out to dry by the ACB because they didn't want to upset the current force/money in the game, that is, India.

Heh, butt-hurt much after the Poms gave your team a thrashing, and the declining state of Australian cricket? At least don't come up with some bullsh!t excuse for Symonds' downfall. "Current force/money in the game, India." :laugh:

How come someone can call another player a 'monkey' and nothing is done about it by anyone, including the ICC or the ACB? All hail the great God money!!!!!! :mad:

Wow, new heights of ignorance. Do you remember the fatass Darren Lehmann's racist incident in 2003 against Sri Lanka, for which he was banned for five matches? In the same way, Harbhajan Singh too was banned for three matches after the Symonds incident. I am in no way a fan of Harbhajan Singh, and I believe that racist idiot should never be allowed again to play for India again, ever. But try at least to be unbiased and look at all the facts, or else you come off sounding really ignorant.

No wonder Symo was pissed off, I'd probably take to drink as well............

Yep, because that's what all the winners do. :rolleyes: Blame India for this too. Also, conveniently ignore the fact that his commitment towards Australia pretty much went up in the air. He missed team meetings because he was 'fishing'. Then got into a drunken brawl in a pub with some dude wanting to take a picture with him. Gave drunk interviews, called Brendan McCullum a "piece of sh!t", said he liked looking at his teammate Matt Hayden's fine wife. WAY to go for a professional sportsman.

The ACB is currently paying for his psychologist bills, hoping to get him fixed. Symonds, and Symonds alone is responsible for the predicament he is in right now. Stop finding idiotic excuses for the current state he is in.

Camelopard
8th January 2011, 03:46
Ho hum, here we go again, when anyone dares to criticise India you get all uppity and get your knickers in a knot. :)

Heh, butt-hurt much after the Poms gave your team a thrashing, and the declining state of Australian cricket?

Go back and read my posts, I don't have a problem at all with Australia being beaten by a better side, in fact, shock horror, I'm even down as saying that I wanted Australia to loose.

Wow, new heights of ignorance. Do you remember the fatass Darren Lehmann's racist incident in 2003 against Sri Lanka, for which he was banned for five matches? In the same way, Harbhajan Singh too was banned for three matches after the Symonds incident.

Why mention Lehmann? I don't approve of what he said, nor is there any place in cricket for racist remarks, regardless of who says it. I don't have any time for racism in any way shape or form.
Also, please tell me why you need to make uncomplimentary remarks about Lehmann's physique, what does that add to your point?

Did Singh serve his 3 match ban? No, it was overturned on appeal after the BCCI threatened to cancel the tour. Mind you he did loose some of his match fee after he was found guilty of a Level 2.8 offence.

http://india-australia.cricket.deepthi.com/harbhajan-singh-andrew-symonds-racism-hearing.php

So who is showing their ignorance now? It's ok, I accept your apology! :)

As for the rest of your anti Symond's rant, he is doing very nicely thanks and has retired to the farm.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/free-spirit-symonds-happy-out-of-spotlight-20101222-195lp.html

A lot of it no doubt due to the amount of money he has made from the IPL.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/21/2169303.htm

Dare say he is very happy, as long as his farm isn't under water (as most of Queensland seems to be).......... But if it is, I'm sure he'll go fishing.............

CaptainRaiden
8th January 2011, 11:01
Ho hum, here we go again, when anyone dares to criticise India you get all uppity and get your knickers in a knot. :)

Heh, not really actually, I don't even like the Indian cricket team that much. ;) If you read my post again carefully, the whole rant is in response to you blaming someone else for Symonds' downfall. If you would have blamed Ricky Ponting for it, I would have reacted the same.

Why mention Lehmann? I don't approve of what he said, nor is there any place in cricket for racist remarks, regardless of who says it. I don't have any time for racism in any way shape or form.
Also, please tell me why you need to make uncomplimentary remarks about Lehmann's physique, what does that add to your point?

The Lehmann incident was similar to this, where he got run out I guess and went to the Sri Lankan dressing room to call them black c****, whereas about the Symonds incident, it was said that Singh was only making a friendly gesture to Brett Lee when Symonds interrupted and prompted him to call him a monkey. Which I don't really believe, especially with Singh's checkered past. I truly believe that Harbhajan is a douchebag.

As for calling Lehmann a fatass, I never liked the guy or how he handled himself, especially during that incident in 2003. The way he was extra apologetic afterward to save his ass and job, was slimy to say the least, so sue me. :p

Did Singh serve his 3 match ban? No, it was overturned on appeal after the BCCI threatened to cancel the tour. Mind you he did loose some of his match fee after he was found guilty of a Level 2.8 offence.

http://india-australia.cricket.deepthi.com/harbhajan-singh-andrew-symonds-racism-hearing.php

So who is showing their ignorance now? It's ok, I accept your apology! :)

I really don't remember BCCI threatening to quit the series. If that was the case, then apologies indeed for my half baked cricket knowledge. :D But from what I remember, there was a week long trial and the verdict was finally passed by a New Zealander judge and I don't know how much of his decision was influenced by the BCCI.

As for the rest of your anti Symond's rant, he is doing very nicely thanks and has retired to the farm.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/free-spirit-symonds-happy-out-of-spotlight-20101222-195lp.html

A lot of it no doubt due to the amount of money he has made from the IPL.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/21/2169303.htm

Dare say he is very happy, as long as his farm isn't under water (as most of Queensland seems to be).......... But if it is, I'm sure he'll go fishing.............

Any IPL team would still be hugely interested in him, because he's an explosive cricketer and a treat to watch. Retiring is no way to live for an amazing cricketer still in his physical peak, and what could still be his prime.

But all this doesn't change the fact that the rest of it is all his doing. He didn't really have to turn to alcohol for whatever happened, as much as I'm gravely sorry for the disgusting behavior of my countrymen. He didn't have to get into brawls, say inappropriate things on national TV etc. etc. Almost all great athletes of black or mixed heritage in every sport have had to go through these kinds of name calling, but they eventually prevailed. I guess he needed to be just a bit more patient.

Camelopard
8th January 2011, 22:58
Interesting development: :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/09/3109069.htm?section=justin

CaptainRaiden
9th January 2011, 17:29
Interesting development: :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/09/3109069.htm?section=justin

Well, that's certainly going to be interesting to watch. Imagine them celebrating a wicket together or batting on the crease. There'd be BIG lack of communication there I suppose. :p Too bad I won't be able to watch any cricket in the next year or so, thanks to being in Europe.

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 11:42
South Africa vs India tomorrow in the second ODI. SA leads 1-0 in the 5 match series. Looking forward to a great game on the highveld tomorrow.

BTW, how about England over OZ in the Pro20! Poor Shane Watson, his performance deserved to be on the winning side.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th January 2011, 12:05
England lose and end their Twenty20 winning streak. WTF? :confused:

Useless losers don't deserve to wear the shirt! :p

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 12:32
Can't win em all Jon!

555-04Q2
19th January 2011, 10:22
Wonderfull...Seth Efrica choke again to go down 2-1 in the 5 match ODI series against India :mad:

Another failed world cup campaign coming right up.

Camelopard
19th January 2011, 10:41
Don't bet on it being a failed campaign from SA! I would put them as favourites, by the way, have you seen the side picked by hilditch? old hacks and hasbeens................................

Some one please tell me who Brad Hodge has offended. I hope the selectors prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it! :rolleyes:

555-04Q2
20th January 2011, 05:02
Not a chance Camelopard! We are born chockers when it comes to cricket tournaments. We should have 3 cricket world cups (92, 96 & 99) by now but we failed when it counted everytime. Even in 03 & 07 we were very strong but nothing! They need to talk to our rugby side on how to close out matches and win tournaments.