PDA

View Full Version : F1's future

mstillhere
18th January 2009, 02:41
Hi guys and girls,

like many of you I was curious to see how the new cars would look like with the new rules this year. After seeing the first three I have to say that I am very disapponted.

While applauding all the teams for putting in their best efforts, all these quite identical cars, show in what misery the sport is nowadays.

Once the place for the most luxurious and cutting edge cars now just the shadows. I hate the design of these new cars. They all look like made in China. They all are pretty much identical. To notice a difference between cars you need a pair of magnifing glass. And yes, the different colors help.

How near do you think is the end of Formula 1? Where is heading? Has it reached its pick and now is going slowly down?

Dave B
18th January 2009, 16:52
I'm not sure F1 cars were ever "luxurious", but I take your point. However, there are differences between the cars - at least the few we've seen officially launched so far - but they are increasingly subtle.

But does that really matter? We don't moan if two football teams wear the same boots, nor whinge about tennis players using identical rackets. In fact, we've often wondered who would come out on top in identical equipment. Hopefully the performance of the cars will be even closer than in 2008, and we'll get a much better sense of who is the best driver.

End of F1? I rather hope it's a new beginning.

BDunnell
18th January 2009, 17:10
I don't care about the appearance of the cars — within reason — so long as the competition is good.

jso1985
18th January 2009, 20:02
I don't care about the appearance of the cars — within reason — so long as the competition is good.

Indeed.

The cars look awful now, but as long as the races are good I don't care, F1 isn't a beaty contest.

And F1 cars have been looking pretty much the same(compared to other teams in the same season) since the 80's anyway

jens
18th January 2009, 21:28
To my eyes the differences between the three so far launched contenders are quite visible, so I'm not worrying yet - development and progress carry on in F1. Actually I feared worse (that indeed the cars would look the same), but at least it's not the case yet. Considering current hi-tech level of F1 we really can't expect massive differences between cars, like someone is racing with wings and another one not. :p : The development phase of cars has reached quite far already and the opportunities of finding something revolutionary are decreasing anyway.

Sleeper
18th January 2009, 21:44
To be honest, the three cars I've seen so far have looked quite different from each other, and will look different again when they take to the track in Melbourne.

mstillhere
19th January 2009, 02:17
Well, then it's my eye sight. If I were to look at all those cars, especially from the front, without any color on them, I would have a real tough time in recognizing wich one is wich. Good thing that most of you don't. I think, and I know I sound quite catastrophic here, that F1 as we know it is all over. Next thing you know, you'll have hybrids, electric etc. 800 HP engines? Nope. Only fully rechargeble lithium batteries and the KERS, of course. :(
I am disappointed, since I don't see any more that design freedom that charecterized so much F1 cars. The one with the best IDEAS -and luck- used to would win races and champioships. I wonder what it would take this time to make a team a winning one. Better solar panels? There really is not much room for creativity left, with all these impositions. At least for now, the same engine idea was put aside. but who knows for how long.

Valve Bounce
19th January 2009, 02:57
Hi guys and girls,

like many of you I was curious to see how the new cars would look like with the new rules this year. After seeing the first three I have to say that I am very disapponted.

While applauding all the teams for putting in their best efforts, all these quite identical cars, show in what misery the sport is nowadays.

Once the place for the most luxurious and cutting edge cars now just the shadows. I hate the design of these new cars. They all look like made in China. They all are pretty much identical. To notice a difference between cars you need a pair of magnifing glass. And yes, the different colors help.

How near do you think is the end of Formula 1? Where is heading? Has it reached its pick and now is going slowly down?

How do you operate your magnifying glass technique during a race?

mstillhere
19th January 2009, 04:15
How do you operate your magnifying glass technique during a race?

Very carefully :) . You know what I mean though. We are in the midst of a major crisis. Is F1 able to survive through their money saving gimmicks?

Is the end result the F1 we all know or just a surrogate? I don't believe that the big wigs think strait. On one hand they say:"reduce cost, save, save, save". On the other: "And by the way install those kers, no matter how much they cost" as correctly Montezemolo pointed correctly out.

Making engines last 8 races? I cannot imagine how slowly these cars will be racing in order to preserve their engines for their next race. No....wait...RACES!!!

F1boat
19th January 2009, 07:34
I am very disappointed. Last year, in the final races, the cars were close to each other in terms of performance, passing was not easy, but possible and the cars were super beautiful.
I fear that now it is all gone.

Knock-on
19th January 2009, 10:30
You could remove the livery and easily tell the difference.

McLaren rear wing, Toyota stub nose, Ferrari mirrors, invisible Honda etc. All very distinctive.

wedge
19th January 2009, 13:37

Of course its reached its peak. The main emphasis has been on aero - look at NASCAR and IRL they've gone backwards and made their cars look fugly.

But part of F1 racing is about the future so I think hybrid technology has a lot potential especially if you free up the rules. It would be just like the good old days when you had grounds effect, aerofoils, fans.

I never fully understood the criticisms of 'alternative' energy. Oil will run out at some point, its just a 'shame' that it has impacted on our generation. You can take away the sounds and smells but racing is racing and there's nothing better than to see 2 or more drivers going wheel to wheel.