PDA

View Full Version : Job losses in F1

Powered by Cosworth
16th January 2009, 07:18
From what i've heard, everybody at Red Bull and Williams have been put on 30 days notice and have to re-apply for their job. Something like a 1/3rd of the staff are going.

Alot of these jobs can be blamed on the banning of in-season testing, which effectively eliminates test teams.

Dave B
16th January 2009, 08:13
That's cost-cutting for you. While it's only right that F1 tightens its belt, there will sadly always be a human cost. :s

PolePosition_1
16th January 2009, 09:00
Can you provide a source for this rumour? Or at least where you heard this from?

Ranger
16th January 2009, 09:16
That's cost-cutting for you. While it's only right that F1 tightens its belt, there will sadly always be a human cost. :s

At least the positive side is that most of these employees shouldn't have trouble finding employment elsewhere, as the credentials of working for an F1 team speak for themselves.

Dave B
16th January 2009, 09:34
Would that were so, Malllen. Sadly we're becoming used to hearing about large-scale redundancies almost every day, and there are precious few companies actively recruiting at the moment unless you include pawnbrokers & poundshops.

Powered by Cosworth
16th January 2009, 10:31
Can you provide a source for this rumour? Or at least where you heard this from?

My ol' man has lots of friends in other teams (inc Red Bull and Williams) from when they worked for the team he was in.

At least the positive side is that most of these employees shouldn't have trouble finding employment elsewhere, as the credentials of working for an F1 team speak for themselves.

Very true, problem is there are very very few jobs in motorsport these days, alot of the mechanics working in F1 worked on road going sports cars before, and with the current 'economic climate' people arn't buying or running sports cars on the road anymore. Let alone teams pulling out left right and center in all the race series. It's a very sad state of affairs.

Ranger
16th January 2009, 11:29
Very true, problem is there are very very few jobs in motorsport these days, alot of the mechanics working in F1 worked on road going sports cars before, and with the current 'economic climate' people arn't buying or running sports cars on the road anymore. Let alone teams pulling out left right and center in all the race series. It's a very sad state of affairs.

Yes but the career path for F1 mechanics is not restricted to going back to road-going sports cars, or even the automotive industry at all I would think.

I would imagine that 'working in an F1 team' on a CV would create many other career branches for these employees to follow at least in the short term, regardless of their other qualifications.

Sleeper
16th January 2009, 11:32
Its a sad thing to see people losing their jobs but lets face it, F1 teams had gotten too big. With the need to cut costs jobs were always going to go.

wedge
16th January 2009, 14:11

My ol' man has lots of friends in other teams (inc Red Bull and Williams) from when they worked for the team he was in.

Being in Northamptonshire AKA motorsport valley you're bound to know at least a friend of a friend who works in F1. A workmate's partner has been lucky enough to keep his job as a fabricator for Renault.

Knock-on
16th January 2009, 15:03
Would that were so, Malllen. Sadly we're becoming used to hearing about large-scale redundancies almost every day, and there are precious few companies actively recruiting at the moment unless you include pawnbrokers & poundshops.

You are Sooooooo 2008!

Poundshops are being put out of business by being undercut.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1112847/Pound-shop-forced-close--99p-store-opens-road.html

You can just imagine the discussion with the reporter:

"We here at Poundland charge a premium for better quality goods. I mean, look at the people going over there. They all look like Chavs!"

:laugh:

By the way, I hear there's a Job going at Apple.

(OK, bad taste I know)

Daniel
16th January 2009, 15:56
You are Sooooooo 2008!

Poundshops are being put out of business by being undercut.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1112847/Pound-shop-forced-close--99p-store-opens-road.html

You can just imagine the discussion with the reporter:

"We here at Poundland charge a premium for better quality goods. I mean, look at the people going over there. They all look like Chavs!"

:laugh:

By the way, I hear there's a Job going at Apple.

(OK, bad taste I know)
:rotflmao:

You'd think they would have changed their name to the 98p store and undercut the 99p store!