PDA

View Full Version : WRC (#1) -a bit disappointed

tannat
15th January 2009, 11:54
So I've been catching up with gaming on m PS2, and finally finished a complete championship on the game WRC (the first one, and only one available in the States), and I'm a bit disappointed.

Granted, it does have 14 distinct rallies with 5 stages each + bonus stages (LOTS of stages!), and it does have all the factory entries in authentic liveries for the 2001 WRC season, and you see 'real driver' names on the scoreboard (Sainz, Makinen, etc) although Colin McRae is referred to as 'Ford driver'. The grpahics are what you would expect from a circa 2001 game-probably pretty darn good when it was in its prime.

My disappointment comes from a bit of the hover feel for the car. It's not as bad as VRally 3, but not as good as CMR3,4,5 etc.

More diasappointment from unrealistic car gearing. In the tallest gear you will frequently bump the rev limiter on many of the champ stages. Rarely is the medium gearing necessary, and short gearing is worthless.

While I've only tackled one rally on the highest difficult setting I sense that it will not be too challenging. And there are no superspecials-but that isn't too much of a bother.

I guess after years of seeing this game posted on the WRC site in various iterations (WRC2, 3, etc) I had hoped for more, but feel a bit let down.

Perhaps the got it right in later editions :(

jso1985
18th January 2009, 18:54
and the game is too easy...

I guess they got it right later on but sadly NTSC countries weren't included anymore :(

I am evil Homer
19th January 2009, 09:31
WRC3 is probably the best...balance of better physics, some long stages, 9 stages per rally plus you have the Fabia in the game.

Tour de Course is my favourite....some great stages that disappeared in later games.

AndyRAC
19th January 2009, 14:57
I just prefer WRC2, some nice long stages. I don't mind WRC4, that's not a bad game either, however, WRC5 - What were they thinking? Only 3 short stages per Rally - ridiculous! As for the 'random happenings' the retired cars are believable, but the others seem contrived. A poor effort, and the last one made.
Imagine trying to make one on the current season.......2 works teams.

pino
19th January 2009, 17:06
Best game of the series is WRC3 :up: but I like WRC4 too, and as for WRC5..it's just a joke :down:

steve_spackman
20th January 2009, 03:24
i got the first WRC game for the ps2...i just bought it to say 'i have it'.

did anyone ever try rallisport challenege 2 for the xbox...i must say the stages are the best i have ever seen on any rally game. Some of the stages take around 10-12 mins to complete and even get some good night stages too..get around 10-11 stages per country. australia, monte carlo, gb, argentina, sweden and usa. have hillclimb events, rallycross, and very very good super special stages.

tannat
20th January 2009, 12:18
i got the first WRC game for the ps2...i just bought it to say 'i have it'.

did anyone ever try rallisport challenege 2 for the xbox...i must say the stages are the best i have ever seen on any rally game. Some of the stages take around 10-12 mins to complete and even get some good night stages too..get around 10-11 stages per country. australia, monte carlo, gb, argentina, sweden and usa. have hillclimb events, rallycross, and very very good super special stages.

Yeah-RC2 was alright. pent a lot of hours on it. Great car selection, long stages, etc....

Would love for that group to produce a 100% WRC sim......

steve_spackman
21st January 2009, 02:01
Yeah-RC2 was alright. pent a lot of hours on it. Great car selection, long stages, etc....

Would love for that group to produce a 100% WRC sim......

yes i agree would be great if the did bring out a true rally sim..the stages on that game were more detailed than the CMR games...

greenchile505
24th January 2009, 04:44
Has anyone in the States come up with a clever way to play WRC 2,3,4 here?? Perhaps a computer monitor and some additional hardware? I still play CMR3 (PS2) and CMR Mac several hours per week each, but I would love to drive the other official WRCx titles.

I too easily defeated WRC (1), and while something about it was good, I quickly passed it on to a friend after finding a copy of CMR3.

Perhaps this is a good place to ask. What is the latest "proper" rally simulator? I do not believe "Dirt" or "Dirt 2" have true rally structure (rally cars only, SS stages, FIA drivers points), but are more like TOCA, in that there is a garage full of many types of vehicles, and many types of courses.

UKOG~Will
24th January 2009, 09:37
Hasn't been a decent rally sim since CMR2005 or Rally Evolved, which was rubbish