PDA

View Full Version : Rumour Mill 2007

Pages : [1] 2

patnicholls
6th December 2006, 20:04
Rumours and conjecture for the coming season to go in here...

mx311
2nd March 2007, 04:11
Since no one else has posted anything here I'll go first. (remember it's early in the year so not too much happening).

- Red Bull are rumoured to be looking at buying the World Superbike championship. F1 czar Bernie Ecclestone also rumoured to be interested.

- Troy Bayliss has been linked to a new factory Ducati team in the Australian Superbike series in 2008. It's rumoured that Bayliss will retire at seasons end before heading home to be team owner/manager of the new Oz Duke squad.

- Neil Hodgson linked to Yamaha France WSBK (already mentioned elsewhere).

- Honda are rumoured to be building a 4-stroke 250cc bike to try and pressure the FIM to reform the 125 and 250 rules for 2008/09. Honda and Yamaha have both stated that they'd like 250 4-strokes to replace the current 125's and 450 4-strokes to replace the current 250's, the same as what happened in motocross racing.

- The MotoGP to Indy thing seems legit. The rumour is the bikes will race the opposite way around the circuit to the F1 cars with the Turn 1 banking bypassed in favour of the pitlane warmup lane. A chicane in between oval turns 1 and 2 would slow bikes down before entering the road course. The rest of the track would be the same but backwards except for the last turn (back onto the front straight) which would be made tighter to keep bikes away from the outside wall. There have been other venues mentioned though, including Miami-Homestead and Mexico City.

maxu05
2nd March 2007, 04:41
If Bayliss is to retire, it would be great to see him still involved with racing, as he is such a good bloke. If he does manage/own a team, all the best to him, I think he deserves it :up:

harsha
2nd March 2007, 17:25
well anticlockwise @ indy doesn't seem so bad,esp if the turn 13 in f1) is taken care of....

yea,heard about the 250cc 4 strokes rule,will the 125cc be the same then cause there is no point trying to run 250cc 4 strokes and the 125cc two strokes

maxu05
2nd March 2007, 17:36
I am excited by this news, as I think the bikes should be all 4 strokes. It makes you wonder though, as Honda has just launched their "World" Honda F1 car, and California does not allow 2 strokes to race due to emission regs ? It all adds up IMO. I would love to see 4 stroke 250's and 400/450's. :up:

fatman
2nd March 2007, 20:02
4 stroke 400/450s would be excellent. I would love to have a little 450cc sport bike to ride around on.

ChrisS
2nd March 2007, 21:16
Red Bull are rumoured to be looking at buying the World Superbike championship. F1 czar Bernie Ecclestone also rumoured to be interested.

I heard about Bernie buying WSBK elsewhere too, but it seems every time a racing series is up for sale, Bernie's name pops up so I have my doubts.

maxu05
3rd March 2007, 06:38
I don't think it would be good for the sport if Bernie stuck his big snoz into it. He would turn it into a circus.

harsha
3rd March 2007, 13:48
Bernie Ecclestone buying SBK would be the worst thing to happen,i'd rather have Dorna buying SBK

ChrisS
3rd March 2007, 22:04
Dont be so quick to contempt Bernie guys, he may be a money hungry old man but he has great power and connections that could benefit WSBK

Just the contacts he has with racing circuits around the world could mean he could set up a killer WSBK calendar. I mean if he approached an F1 circuit and told them to give him a superbike race or risk losing F1 would they say no?

and he also has connections with TV broadcasters, sponsors etc...

of course if Bernie is indeed interested in buying WSBK then I believe it would be to take it, set it up and sell it for a huge profit.

NinjaMaster
4th March 2007, 10:29
I just can't see Bayliss retiring at the end of this year. He just signed a 2-year deal with Ducati and with the state of competition at the moment, it is just perfect for him and he enjoys it so much. Can certainly see him taking up suck a post for 09 tho.

leopard
5th March 2007, 05:04
Honda are rumoured to be building a 4-stroke 250cc bike to try and pressure the FIM to reform the 125 and 250 rules for 2008/09. Honda and Yamaha have both stated that they'd like 250 4-strokes to replace the current 125's and 450 4-strokes to replace the current 250's, the same as what happened in motocross racing.

This is interesting, currently Yamaha is focussing to the premiere class motogp, initiation of this new project would be positive step they will take part again fully in the smaller classes.

My the only one rider, Doni who usually plays wildcard at Sepang likely will not race 125 this season, Yamaha has stopped 2 stroke bike development and therefore They will give him chance to try 250 class :)

btw, the only thing rumour untouchable by media is official sponsor of Yamaha, FIM has listed them as Yamaha Factory Racing Team :?:

ChrisS
4th April 2007, 22:31
I came across these pics of what supposedly was HRC's 250cc 4stroke prototype.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8093/35945052ya7.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8093/35945052ya7.jpg)http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6106/73154534mh3.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6106/73154534mh3.jpg)http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1192/46330368ny2.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1192/46330368ny2.jpg)http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2034/55788988ck0.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2034/55788988ck0.jpg)http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6418/89043039ko6.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6418/89043039ko6.jpg)

I googled GPMR250X and from what I found its actually an RS125 chassis with a CRF250 engine made for GP-Mono class racing by Harc-Pro

Moriwaki also offer their own 125 chassis with several 250cc engine choices (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki)
http://www.moriwaki.co.jp/top_news/gp-mono-eng.pdf

so these arent the bikes that will replace the 125cc 4-strokes but I think they give as a first look on what to expect if GP switches from 125 and 250 2-stroke to 250 and 450 4-stroke

NinjaMaster
6th April 2007, 12:56
I read that Benelli are set to return to World Superbike in 2009 with a 1000cc V6! That would be sensational! I don't know what the regs say about 6cylinder bikes in WSB but that would certainly add some variety. They are also said to be developing a 600 supersport as well so good luck to 'em. Hope they can get back to racing and in a competitive form this time.

maxu05
6th April 2007, 14:50
Benelli back to racing, sounds good in theory, but, they will most likely turn up with an uncompetitive bike, lack of sponsors, a rider that has no hope of riding anywhere but the back of the field, then pull out after a year or 2 of dissapointing engine failures, set up problems and lack of funds and that will be the end of it. I know this all sounds a tad pessemistic (spelling doh), but that's my plan. As soon as some new manufacture (or in this case, an old name trying to bring back the glory days) states their plan to get back into racing and I get all excited about it, they usually bomb out and it pisses me off, so, this time I will be negative from the outset, so I won't be dissapointed when it all goes wrong. I hope I am wrong and they do well, BUT............

Mach24
7th April 2007, 00:10
Benelli back to racing, sounds good in theory, but, they will most likely turn up with an uncompetitive bike, lack of sponsors, a rider that has no hope of riding anywhere but the back of the field, then pull out after a year or 2 of dissapointing engine failures, set up problems and lack of funds and that will be the end of it. I know this all sounds a tad pessemistic (spelling doh), but that's my plan. As soon as some new manufacture (or in this case, an old name trying to bring back the glory days) states their plan to get back into racing and I get all excited about it, they usually bomb out and it pisses me off, so, this time I will be negative from the outset, so I won't be dissapointed when it all goes wrong. I hope I am wrong and they do well, BUT............

Almost sounds like you were describing Ilmor.

The Phantom
7th April 2007, 05:14
Or KTM/KR, or Aprilia MotoGP, or Foggy Petronas, or Kawasaki MotoGP, or WCM... it's a mean old world!

ChrisS
7th April 2007, 19:18
if Benelli return to WSBK I hope they do with a 1000cc triple, Foggy blamed his team's failure to the 100cc disadvantage so I'm curious to see how a triple of equal displacement will measure up to the twins and fours

The Phantom
8th April 2007, 12:52
Will Benelli be able to use the 1150 if Ducati get their wish for a capacity bump? The big triple would give Ducati kittens... : )

Are there any plans for the 675 Daytona to go to WSS (I assume it is legal as you can run a 750 twin...)?

NinjaMaster
10th April 2007, 04:33
Don't think so Phantom but they race one in BSS. I would love to see Triumph do it though.

ChrisS
10th April 2007, 14:20
the FIM regulations do not cover 3 cylinder supersport bikes. The 675 partly homologated to race in open supersport but not world Supersport for 2007. In BSS 3 cylinder bikes are excepted from FIM homologation

The Phantom
11th April 2007, 02:05
the FIM regulations do not cover 3 cylinder supersport bikes.

Thanks Chris - of course, no-one was building 3-cyl SS bikes before Triumph did!

Hinkley should be out there lobbying FIM to allow the 675 to compete... Ducati can give him some tips on how to go about it ; )

Mach24
1st June 2007, 06:29
Colin Edwards to Ten Kate WSBK?

Rumour has The Texas Tornado meeting with a Honda exec on the weekend of Silverstone and hanging in the Ten Kate hospitality area.

Colin still has a lot to offer, but not in MotoGP. He has only lasted because Rossi 'likes him' and he poses no threat.

Yamaha MotoGP must move toward the future and Colin is not the answer.

However I rate Colin's chances high of winning races immediately in WSBK!

Mach24
4th June 2007, 10:59
Meanwhile, Honda Gresini's Toni Elias is expected to sign for a new Suzuki satellite team that will be formed for 2008 by Jorge Martinez 'Aspar', Spain's former 80 and 125cc world champion and now a team owner in the 125 and 250cc classes, with Suzuki's former 500cc world champion Kevin Schwantz working as a team advisor. It will be a one-rider team running on Bridgestone tyres like the factory Suzukis, and the launch could be as soon as next weekend at the Catalunya round in Barcelona.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~149020~pid~1.htm

I heard AMA superbike rider Ben Spies might be on a second bike.

racer69
4th June 2007, 13:59
It could mean either the manufacturers have come to an agreement over the 1200cc WSB regulations and Alstare/Suzuki will stay there, or there'll be 3 Suzuki teams in GPs.....

maxu05
4th June 2007, 15:11
It seems so strange that the rumors of riders changing teams/manufacturers etc has started so early in the season. Usually, we must wait until around September to get such juicy information. Maybe they read our forum and they know we need some gossip/rumors to get us posting more :laugh:

Mach24
5th June 2007, 00:54
It seems so strange that the rumors of riders changing teams/manufacturers etc has started so early in the season. Usually, we must wait until around September to get such juicy information. Maybe they read our forum and they know we need some gossip/rumors to get us posting more :laugh:

Could also be that is you do not start now you might end up with the likes of OJ and de Puniet in your team. (Or Lanzi and Rolfo for WSBK people)

5th June 2007, 00:58
Colin Edwards to Ten Kate WSBK?

However I rate Colin's chances high of winning races immediately in WSBK!
Sorry, don't agree. Even given his past history in SBKs I just cannot see Colin Edwards being able to mix it up with Haga, Bayliss, Toseland (if he is still in SBK next year) and Biaggi etc at the level they are racing. He's a "text book" rider and bails when the going gets tough.

The Phantom
5th June 2007, 03:07
Sorry, don't agree. Even given his past history in SBKs I just cannot see Colin Edwards being able to mix it up with Haga, Bayliss, Toseland (if he is still in SBK next year) and Biaggi etc at the level they are racing. He's a "text book" rider and bails when the going gets tough.

I take it you did not watch Edwards vs. Bayliss for WSB 2002?

Personally I think he's one of the hardest WSB riders on the planet...

Mach24
5th June 2007, 04:34

I hope we get the opportunity to discuss this at length in 08' with Edwards in WSBK with Honda.

Edwards is not my favourite rider but I am wise enough to know he can compete with those you mention.

I can not explain Edward's results on the MotoGP Yamaha, but I do know anyone riding in Rossi's team is number 2.

Using a cricket term, Edwards is simply holding up an end.

maxu05
5th June 2007, 06:09
I agree with Murray (The Phantom) and Mark (Mach24) that Edwards would be back to his best in WSBK if he deciced to go back. If you look at Troy Bayliss's performance in Motogp, it was not so good, apart from some moments when he got some good results. I think the Motogp machines require a certain kind of rider, as to the riding style required. WSBK's are a different animal, and riders like Bayliss just suit the style of riding required in WSBK. I think Colin would be at the pointy end for sure.

5th June 2007, 07:27
I take it you did not watch Edwards vs. Bayliss for WSB 2002?

Personally I think he's one of the hardest WSB riders on the planet...
I did watch WSB 2002. Have a copy of the final race with "Keep This!" written on it. Maybe the word "bail" was a bit harsh and when I get my female brain to sort out what I'm trying to say I'll have another try.

NinjaMaster
5th June 2007, 10:15
I kind of agree with Sue about Edwards. He'll be at least 34 next year and I would prefer to see young talent coming through on the Ten Kate bike, especially given that Bayliss is likely to retire. He's a fighter though and would be competitive.
Any team/rider rumours at the moment are to be taken with a grain of salt. Talks might have started but I can't see anything being settled for months yet. Given that only 3 riders are currently contracted for next year and with such a wealth of talent pushing through from the 250 class, this silly season is going to be frantic. I've heard the exact same Suzuki rumour except with the Alstare team running Biaggi instead of Elias. Time will tell.

NinjaMaster
11th June 2007, 13:17
According to Eurosport, this is the current prospective MotoGP lineups for 2008.

Repsol Honda - Confirmed: Nicky Hayden, Dani Pedrosa.

Gresini Honda - Likely: James Toseland. Maybe: Marco Melandri, Toni Elias, Andrea Dovizioso, Kenan Sofuoglu.

Konica Minolta Honda - Confirmed: Shinya Nakano.

LCR Honda - Maybe: Carlos Checa, Andrea Dovizioso, James Toseland.

Yamaha - Confirmed: Valentino Rossi. Likely: Jorge Lorenzo. Maybe: Colin Edwards.

Tech-3 Yamaha - Likely: Sylvain Guintoli. Maybe: Makoto Tamada, Carlos Checa, Alex de Angelis, Colin Edwards.

Ducati - Confirmed: Casey Stoner. Likely: Marco Melandri. Maybe: Loris Capirossi, James Toseland.

D'Antin Ducati - Maybe: Loris Capirossi, Alex Barros, Alex Hofmann, James Toseland, Neil Hodgson.

Suzuki - Likely: John Hopkins, Chris Vermeulen.

Kawasaki - Likely: Randy de Puniet, Loris Capirossi. Maybe: Colin Edwards, John Hopkins, Chris Vermeulen, Neil Hodgson.

The maybes

KR (If they can keep hold of their sponsors) - Likely: Kenny Roberts Jr. Maybe: Colin Edwards.

Alstare Suzuki (If they move from World Superbikes) - Likely: Max Biaggi. Maybe: Ben Spies, Colin Edwards.

Aspar Suzuki, Kawasaki or Honda (If they move up from 250s and 125s) - Likely: Toni Elias. Maybe: Alvaro Bautista, Alex de Angelis.

Ilmor (If they can find some money to return) - Likely: Jeremy McWilliams.

Maybe: Alex de Angelis, Hiroshi Aoyama, Neil Hodgson, Colin Edwards.

There are a lot of rides and riders up for grabs next year so there will be rumours galore til then. I really can't believe that any MotoGP team would give Neil Hodgson a moments consideration.

tha_jackal
11th June 2007, 15:27
There are a lot of rides and riders up for grabs next year so there will be rumours galore til then. I really can't believe that any MotoGP team would give Neil Hodgson a moments consideration.

I was about to say the same thing! If he gets a ride i will be disgusted! :confused: :mad:

maxu05
12th June 2007, 05:49
Kawasaki - Anthony West ?

tha_jackal
12th June 2007, 09:48

Wouldnt that be grouse! Fingers crossed..

NinjaMaster
12th June 2007, 10:59
For the rest of the year maybe but would have to impress big time to score the ride next year. Perhaps Aspar will run a Kwak team he could ride for.

fatman
12th June 2007, 13:46
could be someone new at Kawa very soon. I will be surprised if OJ lasts another race weekend never mind the rest of the season.

maxu05
12th June 2007, 16:18
could be someone new at Kawa very soon. I will be surprised if OJ lasts another race weekend never mind the rest of the season.

Out with the OJ, and in with the Bundy Rum :laugh: Yeah ha

tha_jackal
13th June 2007, 02:21
Out with the OJ, and in with the Bundy Rum :laugh: Yeah ha

You mean in with the JD and Coke.. :D :D

Mach24
16th June 2007, 01:43
Found this little article stating Toseland's management are in discussion with Tech3 Yamaha for a MotoGP ride.

I like the last little quote which says he needs the right package.

TAKE A LOOK AT TECH3 RESULTS SINCE THEY MOVED TO MOTOGP.

Now tell me if this is the right package?

I am not JT but I would prefer to be in WSBK with a chance to win rather than in GP with a chance to not finish last.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14062007/58/tech-3-court-toseland-gp-switch.html

NinjaMaster
16th June 2007, 12:57
Every week there are different rumours of who is talking to whom.

All I gather from that article is that Toseland's management have touched base with Tech3. I'm sure they would just find out what sort of package Tech3 will have next year as far and tires and support to just weigh up their options.

I read a magazine recently (of the tree-killing kind, yes they are still around, they aren't all on-line yet!) that had a pretty comprehensive list of silly season talk. Some of the main points:
- Edwards out at Yamaha and favoured to join KR, either in MotoGP or WSB
- Melandri disillusioned with Gresini and Honda is expected to leave with Suzuki a possible destination or Ducati if Capirossi leaves
- Suzuki to field at least one more bike through the Aspar team fielding Alex deAngeles or more likely Toni Elias as the plan is being pushed by Suzuki Spain. Kevin Schwantz will manage the team which may leave opportunity open to run a second bike with current AMA superbike champ Ben Spies
- D'Antin to keep Barros with Toseland and Capirossi other possibilities
- Ten Kate to join MotoGP if one of the Honda teams falters. This may be Gresini as they are apparently having problems within the team and also with sponsors
- Toseland and Dovizioso are main candidates for Ten Kate/Gresini seats
- Konica Minolta want to run a second bike next year
- Chris Vermeulen has the pick of a number of rides but is expected to stay with Suzuki
- John Hopkins to move to Kawasaki with his Monster money (interestingly, that article said Hopkins will move, not "likely" to move like other rumours). Also, that team green may run three bikes next year with Jorge and Chris the V contacted, but most likely Capirossi who apparently already has a contract on the table to join incumbent RdP.
- Finally, depending on where you read it, Lorenzo either has already signed a contract to join Yamaha next year or Rossi has blocked a move by Yamaha to try to sign him.

Phew!!! Well, if this is the way the silly season is now, imagine how nuts it will be by seasons end!

tha_jackal
16th June 2007, 13:17
Thatll keep the rumour urges at bay, at least for a while! :D And your damn right, imagine what its going to be like towards the end of the year! Especially with a few new teams rumoured to be joining ranks..

NinjaMaster
16th June 2007, 13:54
Just so that WSB doesn't miss out on all the rumour talk, there may be a US round next year.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1181809090194780.xml&coll=2

jonny hurlock
16th June 2007, 15:33
- Finally, depending on where you read it, Lorenzo either has already signed a contract to join Yamaha next year or Rossi has blocked a move by Yamaha to try to sign him.

Phew!!! Well, if this is the way the silly season is now, imagine how nuts it will be by seasons end!

Suzi Perry and Charlie Cox were talking in the BBC Moto gp programme a few months back (maybe at le mans) sas Rossi will have his own one bike team (like in 2000/01 seasons) with Lorenzo and Edwards in the other team (works yamaha team)?

tha_jackal
17th June 2007, 02:44
Suzi Perry and Charlie Cox were talking in the BBC Moto gp programme a few months back (maybe at le mans) sas Rossi will have his own one bike team (like in 2000/01 seasons) with Lorenzo and Edwards in the other team (works yamaha team)?

Hmm, thats about right, minus Edwards :D I heard Rossi and Lorenzo will each have their own one bike teams in 08 (FIAT Yamaha/Fortuna Yamaha) in order to nip potential friction and ego clashing in the bud..

If you ask me, Id love to see Lorenzo and Rossi sharing a garage, imagine the conflict/tension! Rossi just has too much influence with Yammy im afraid (hence Edwards even riding this year.)

jonny hurlock
14th July 2007, 13:51
this could be yamaha's new line for next year what I heard off from the BBC

rossi will be teaming up with Chris Vermeulen! in the works team
lorenzo will have his own team
edwards and some else to team up with tech 3

5 yamaha bikes

patnicholls
14th July 2007, 18:40
Eurosport had the same story about Yamahas and with the same riders mentioned as possibles. You'd think Sylvain Guintoli would stay at Tech 3, he's having a quietly impressive season on such uncompetitive tyres.

Other rumours doing the rounds include:

Dovi to D'Antin Ducati?
Alex de Angelis to Suzuki/Gresini Honda?
JT to Suzuki?
Toni Elias to a Kevin Schwantz/Jorge Martinez-run Suzuki team?
etc...

Corny
14th July 2007, 18:47
he's having a quietly impressive season on such uncompetitive tyres.

we can't know if the dunlops are uncompetitive! Put a good rider on the dunlops, and we all know where they are

jonny hurlock
14th July 2007, 19:27
Eurosport had the same story about Yamahas and with the same riders mentioned as possibles. You'd think Sylvain Guintoli would stay at Tech 3, he's having a quietly impressive season on such uncompetitive tyres.

Other rumours doing the rounds include:

Dovi to D'Antin Ducati?
Alex de Angelis to Suzuki/Gresini Honda?
JT to Suzuki?
Toni Elias to a Kevin Schwantz/Jorge Martinez-run Suzuki team?
etc...

his done a better job than Tadama imo. also, he should be in tech 3 for next season imo.

Dovi to D'Antin was a bit of a intresting choice to hear.

patnicholls
14th July 2007, 19:38
we can't know if the dunlops are uncompetitive! Put a good rider on the dunlops, and we all know where they are

Well, Tamada won two races in 2004 (on Bridgestones) and in the second half of that season was as strong as anyone. He really looked set to take the title fight to Rossi until he got on Michelins and it all went wrong. He's also won three World Superbike races as a wildcard in the past, so is no slouch! Guintoli, as the top privateer in 250s last year but not near the front of races overall, wasn't really expected to do anything this year but he's been a very pleasant surprise imho.

Dunlop have their moments, but overall are some way behind Michelin and Bridgestone (as is attested to by the tyre limiting rules for M and B). At Donington, their rain tyre was woeful - both riders were nine seconds a lap off the pace and were lapped twice. They also suffer (in terms of the big class) by supplying the entire 250 and 125 field with their tyres. It would be nice if they were more competitive, but at present they aren't.

Corny
14th July 2007, 20:04
Well, Tamada won two races in 2004 (on Bridgestones) and in the second half of that season was as strong as anyone. He really looked set to take the title fight to Rossi until he got on Michelins and it all went wrong. He's also won three World Superbike races as a wildcard in the past, so is no slouch! Guintoli, as the top privateer in 250s last year but not near the front of races overall, wasn't really expected to do anything this year but he's been a very pleasant surprise imho.

Dunlop have their moments, but overall are some way behind Michelin and Bridgestone (as is attested to by the tyre limiting rules for M and B). At Donington, their rain tyre was woeful - both riders were nine seconds a lap off the pace and were lapped twice. They also suffer (in terms of the big class) by supplying the entire 250 and 125 field with their tyres. It would be nice if they were more competitive, but at present they aren't.
Tamada is a good rider yes, I know, if he's got the right package for him (bridgestone), which he hasn't got right now..
Guintoli had to start from 0 this year, so it's a bit easier for him maybe
I'm sure the dunlops are not that good, but with a real top rider (Burgess tried to get Casey on the Dunlop Yamaha didn't he?) like Casey they could be a lot closer to the front..

tha_jackal
15th July 2007, 02:37
Tamada WILL be gone at the end of the year. He's being outshone and outclassed by a rookie former 250 privateer.. Sorry, there's no excuses, he's just plain average at the moment and Guintoli (who i rate) is doing superbly.. A good rider has to be able to adapt, Makoto cant, so hes gone..

ChrisS
15th July 2007, 09:46
the main problem with the Dunlop tyres as I understand it is that the race tyres are worn out after just a few laps.

The tyres are still inferior to Michelin and Bridgestone but at the first 4-5 laps of each race the Tech3 bikes are able to keep up with the rest but after their tyres are gone they just drop to the back

namarow
17th July 2007, 01:42
Any word on Spies getting a shot at Mot GP ?

Dr. Gellar
17th July 2007, 03:26
From what I've read somewhere, Spies may be lined up for a MotoGP wildcard later this season. But the problem with this is that Suzuki's wildcards have supposedly already been determined for the year. The other option was to set up a test for Spies. Whether any of this is the case or not, IMO Suzuki would be unwise not to line up some kind of a test/wildcard for Spies in the very near future.

The Phantom
17th July 2007, 06:57
Spies is obviously a talent, however going from Superbike to MotoGP is not a walk in the park - very few have been able to really make it work. Especially since the move to 800s, where corner speed has become even more critical to good laptimes.

For every Spies there are two 250GP guys who could also potentially do the job. It will take a sponsor/factory looking to raise their profile in the US to sign him.

I think he should go to WSB, they need more Americans. Already 4/5 of 'em (not sure if Junior is completely out) in MotoGP.

Welcome, Dr Gellar : )

ChrisS
17th July 2007, 17:39
Giving Spies a wildcard ride at any track other than Laguna will mean he will finish last probably a long way behind everyone else if he manages to keep the bike upright.

Also as Phantom said there are 250GP guys (and also World SBK and BSB guys) that could do the job better. He is doing well in AMA but the truth is AMA is an one team championship with only Spies and Mladin having race winning bikes, if Spies wants to move up in the motorcycle racing world he should take a risk and move to World SBK

ChrisS
17th July 2007, 21:01
I dont know if this deserved a new topic, Bayliss says he'd like to win the title on the 1098 and then retire

http://superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/070717v.htm

tha_jackal
18th July 2007, 02:06
I dont know if this deserved a new topic, Bayliss says he'd like to win the title on the 1098 and then retire

http://superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/070717v.htm

Nah its fine here :)

I think its great TB wants to stick around. He'll keep showing the young upstarts how its done, especially when he gets his hands on the 1098 ;) Gooo Troy .

Dr. Gellar
18th July 2007, 02:22
Thank you for the welcome. It's great to finally be part of this forum.

Regarding Ben Spies and MotoGP, a feel he at least deserves a shot at a test. He's currently the best young racing talent here in the U.S. (my opinion), the defending AMA Superbike champ and possibly a back-to-back Superbike champ (if he can hold off Mat Mladin...which will be difficult at best). I'd just like to see what he is capable of. Given a test or two to get comfortable on a Suzuki MotoGP bike, I doubt he'd finish way behind everyone else. Maybe not top 10, but definitely not last.

Spies could go to World Superbike. But I don't know...I think if he can beat Mladin this year again, he proves what he can do on a Superbike.

Yes, having a sponsor with him would help to get a MotoGP ride. We'll see if that ever happens. I was hoping Spies would have been part of a Suzuki satellite team for '08 that was rumored earlier this year (Alstare, Aspar...take your pick) but looks unlikely now. After all, I believe MotoGP could use an increase on riders and teams on the gird, but that's another story.

I agree with you guys about some 250GP riders that could be just as good as Spies. Their knowledge of the tracks on the MotoGP alone gives them some advantage. Nonetheless, I am excited to see what Lorenzo, Dovisioso, and De Angelis, to name a few, can do when/if they get to the big show.

mx311
19th July 2007, 06:03
Well here's what we know about MotoGP season 2008.

Repsol Honda - Nicky Hayden and Dani Pedrosa
Marlboro Ducati - Casey Stoner and Marco Melandri
Fiat / Fortuna Yamaha - Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo

Then on top of that Gresini are currently deciding between Toni Elias, Alex de Angeles, Andrea Dovizioso and James Toseland.

D'Antin Ducati have Alex Barros, Alex Hoffman, James Toseland and Toni Elias on speed dial.

Suzuki look like they want Chris Vermuelen and Loris Capirossi for next year, whether they get them both is in the air.

Kawasaki have John Hopkins and are chasing Loris Capirossi. Randy de Puniet may well stay there alongside is Capirex choses Suzuki.

Konica Minolta want two bikes next year. Shinya Nakano and James Toseland were said to be the riders but if they get two bikes the other one will probably be ridden by whoever Honda need to place so that could be Elias, Dovizioso etc.

Tech3 will keep Sylvain Guintoli (if he doesn't get a better offer) and their second rider will probably be the best guy left without a ride, ie Colin Edwards, Ant West etc.

Anyone else? Oh if their is a Aspar Suzuki team then Toni Elias or Alex de Angeles should be their top picks.

The Phantom
19th July 2007, 06:52
Great to see you back Matt!

Spies could go to World Superbike. But I don't know...I think if he can beat Mladin this year again, he proves what he can do on a Superbike.

Agreed - if you can beat Mladin on a Superbike you can probably run at the front of a WSB field with the right bike.

tha_jackal
19th July 2007, 08:42
Well here's what we know about MotoGP season 2008

Kawasaki have John Hopkins and are chasing Loris Capirossi. Randy de Puniet may well stay there alongside is Capirex choses Suzuki.

Tech3 will keep Sylvain Guintoli (if he doesn't get a better offer) and their second rider will probably be the best guy left without a ride, ie Colin Edwards, Ant West etc.

Umm, ive heard Kawasaki are likely to run three bikes next year, so if Capirossi is going to Suzuki, then a likely Kawasaki three rider team would be Hopkins, DePuniet and West? No?

Also, I think Ant has a great chance to show Randy up for the remainder of this year. Hes adapted very well to the Ninja and will only get quicker, (bar Laguna, as he doesnt know it) i think he's been impressive (watch out for him at Misano, where he won in WSS)..

Matt, its amazing how Ant's fortunes have changed since the last time you were around, what are your thoughts?

Cheers.

NinjaMaster
19th July 2007, 14:16
I wouldn't go as far as saying Kwak are likely to run three bikes but are considering it. Kawasaki ran three bikes in WSB and found it logistically too difficult so I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to stick with 2 factory bikes unless they can find someone willing to run a satellite team. Maybe Aspar if Zook can't come to the party?

NinjaMaster
23rd July 2007, 14:24
As far as I can gather, this is what 2008 is looking like so far:
confirmed, likely

Repsol Honda: Nicky Hayden, Dani Pedrosa
Gresini Honda: Andreas Dovizioso, James Toseland, Alex de Angeles
LCR: Carlos Chucka
JiR: Shinya Nakano
Fiat Yamaha: Valentino Rossi
Fortuna Yamaha: Jorge Lorenzo
Tech3 Yamaha: Colin Edwards, James Toseland, Sylvain Guintoli, Ant West
Rizla Suzuki: Chris Vermeulen, Loris Capirossi
Aspar Suzuki: Toni Elias, Ben Spies, Alex de Angeles
Monster Kawasaki: John Hopkins, Randy de Puniet, Ant West, Roger-Lee Hayden, Alex de Angeles
Ducati Corse: Casey Stoner, Marco Melandri
D'Antin Ducati: Alex Barros, Alex Hoffman, Sylvain Guintoli, Ant West, Andreas Dovizioso, Alex de Angeles

tha_jackal
23rd July 2007, 14:42
Pretty close i rekon, ill add some stuff..

LCR: Carlos Chucka, Ant West (Cecchinello wanted Ant for 250s in 2006, but he ended up moving all the resources of the team to GP with Stoner after Pons' team folded (Stoners option at that time.))
Rizla Suzuki: Chris Vermeulen, Loris Capirossi, Ben Spies
Aspar Suzuki: Toni Elias, Ben Spies, Alex de Angeles (team unlikely, more like 2009)
Monster Kawasaki: John Hopkins, Randy de Puniet, Ant West, Roger-Lee Hayden, Alex de Angeles, Loris Capirossi
Ducati Corse: Casey Stoner, Marco Melandri, Loris Capirossi (third bike)

patnicholls
24th July 2007, 00:06
There is a lot of 'third bike' talk (Ducati, Suzuki, Kawasaki) - is this down to the field being a teeny bit thin at 19 this year after Ilmor's departure and with the possible/probable departure of Team Roberts? (although Dorna want them in)

Let's hope they come to fruition, more competitive bikes is good. And the grids this year have been very close, with even Tech 3 in the mix more than I thought they would on the grid at least.

The Kawasaki one is a tough one - Randy has been very fast, particularly in qualifying, but has started crashing a little too much. Roger Lee put himself in the frame too but is probably an outsider - another season of AMA maybe. Ant is going well too, pretty consistant. Although if he hadn't gone off track at Donington in the wet, could have been a lot higher.

Certainly this weekend's chat puts Capirossi either staying at Ducati on a third bike or Suzuki rather than Team Green.

mx311
24th July 2007, 07:06
There is a lot of 'third bike' talk (Ducati, Suzuki, Kawasaki) - is this down to the field being a teeny bit thin at 19 this year after Ilmor's departure and with the possible/probable departure of Team Roberts? (although Dorna want them in)
There is always talk of more bikes on the grid and it almost never happens. Why? Because the factory teams really struggle to run more that two bikes. Ever heard the old saying, "it takes four times the work to run two bikes, it takes ten times the work to run three."

Team Roberts is interesting, from what I've heard if Gresini leave Honda then their two bikes will be offered to JiR and Team KR. I've also heard Team KR linked with running Kawasaki's. It would be a shame to lose them altogether. Running a customer bike may be the way to go. Shame though after last years performances.

The Kawasaki one is a tough one - Randy has been very fast, particularly in qualifying, but has started crashing a little too much. Roger Lee put himself in the frame too but is probably an outsider - another season of AMA maybe. Ant is going well too, pretty consistant. Although if he hadn't gone off track at Donington in the wet, could have been a lot higher.
Well from what I've heard if the Monster deal comes off then they have the say on who rides the Green (and black) machines in '08, so that's a big hello to Roger-Lee Hayden as Monster want two Americans. If Kawasaki are left to choose then I think failing signing a 'big name' rider then they'll stick with RdP, simply because they invested a lot in him. Again the old saying goes, "you can teach a fast rider to stop crashing".

Dr. Gellar
24th July 2007, 07:41
There is always talk of more bikes on the grid and it almost never happens. Why? Because the factory teams really struggle to run more that two bikes. Ever heard the old saying, "it takes four times the work to run two bikes, it takes ten times the work to run three."

Team Roberts is interesting, from what I've heard if Gresini leave Honda then their two bikes will be offered to JiR and Team KR. I've also heard Team KR linked with running Kawasaki's. It would be a shame to lose them altogether. Running a customer bike may be the way to go. Shame though after last years performances.

Well from what I've heard if the Monster deal comes off then they have the say on who rides the Green (and black) machines in '08, so that's a big hello to Roger-Lee Hayden as Monster want two Americans. If Kawasaki are left to choose then I think failing signing a 'big name' rider then they'll stick with RdP, simply because they invested a lot in him. Again the old saying goes, "you can teach a fast rider to stop crashing".

Just want to start off by saying I love reading your posts. Great stuff!

I wish I'd seen this before I had replied to a post of yours on another thread. I'm surprised to hear that KR could run Kawasaki's next year. That's good news, if for no other reason than that it shows there is plenty of interest in the KR effort. I'd read somewhere that Ducati is also interested in the KR engine situation for next season. If the Kawasaki rumor were to pan out, would it actually be customer bikes, rather than just engines??

larantuka
24th July 2007, 09:18
Just want to start off by saying I love reading your posts. Great stuff!

I will say it too, please post more!

tha_jackal
24th July 2007, 14:11
I love reading matt's posts to, for a laugh :D Coz i know from experience that probably half (maybe more) of them never come anywhere near to fruition.. Still great to read what is possibly in the works.. Keep it up :up:

NinjaMaster
25th July 2007, 15:06
Just read a bit more speculation.
Apparently Loris has signed a 1 year deal to ride for Suzuki next year.
Alex de Angeles says he is 99 percent sure of being in MotoGP next year, likely with D'Antin.
It seemed universally believed that Lorenzo would be run in a separate Yamaha team to Rossi. However Davide Brivio has stated that this isn't possible so it looks like they will be teammates after all.
Kawasaki seem particularly up-in-the-air. As Matt mentioned, R.L. Hayden is apparently a big show due to sponsorship and was told that he needed to impress at Laguna for his chance, which he did. Edwards is also on Kawasaki's list due to his experience but he's likely for Tech3 with Michelins.

osg
26th July 2007, 00:25
Just read a bit more speculation.
Apparently Loris has signed a 1 year deal to ride for Suzuki next year.
Alex de Angeles says he is 99 percent sure of being in MotoGP next year, likely with D'Antin.
It seemed universally believed that Lorenzo would be run in a separate Yamaha team to Rossi. However Davide Brivio has stated that this isn't possible so it looks like they will be teammates after all.
Kawasaki seem particularly up-in-the-air. As Matt mentioned, R.L. Hayden is apparently a big show due to sponsorship and was told that he needed to impress at Laguna for his chance, which he did. Edwards is also on Kawasaki's list due to his experience but he's likely for Tech3 with Michelins.

De Angelis???? WTF? Waste of time IMHO. As for Lorenzo, the rumors are all over the place. There still is a belief that Yamaha may run a fully backed 1 bike team effort for Lorenzo....... now if thats not a pointer to no-one wanting to ride with him, then i don't know what is!!

NinjaMaster
26th July 2007, 14:36
I kinda understand where you're coming from osg but think you're perhaps a little harsh. Yes, he only has one race win in 123(?) starts even with some real top equipment but he has really matured a lot in the last couple of years and is putting in some real solid results. I kinda see him as like a Nicky Hayden, just lacking that extra edge for consistent race wins which is what would keep him out of a real top MotoGP ride.

tha_jackal
26th July 2007, 14:45
According to MCN (take it or leave it :p ) Carlos Checa has been offered a role as a full time Ducati test rider for 2008, replacing Itoh. It is believed Checa is likely to take this job as his career is 'winding down'..

That leaves the LCR seat free and it is believed Dovizioso's wage demands are two expensive for Cecchinello's outfit which leaves him in discussion with more 'affordable' riders; (i.e Randy DePuniet) I think Ant West would be the most affordable rider in the paddock and he'd give you damn good value for money! ;)

Furthermore, Ben Spies to Suzuki GP in 2009 is 'a done deal' according to the man himself, he will also ride several wildcard races next year (likely to be the US rounds and Valencia) .. Colin Edwards will not know his future with Yamaha and in MotoGP until after Brno and Livio Suppo belives its highly likely Loris Capirossi will leave Ducati in 2008 and the option of a third bike will only be run if Capirossi is riding it..

Again, this is MCN reporting, so take it on what it's face value as british rumour and pure speculation..

ChrisS
26th July 2007, 15:41
some World Superbike rumours also from MCN, World SBK will race at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah in 2008

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/july/jul23-29/jul2807worldsuperbikesetforusreturn/?&R=EPI-93022

racer69
26th July 2007, 17:30
There still is a belief that Yamaha may run a fully backed 1 bike team effort for Lorenzo....... now if thats not a pointer to no-one wanting to ride with him, then i don't know what is!!

superbikeplanet.com throws out an interesting theory on the Yamaha line-up, saying a possibility could be a Rossi one-man team on Bridgestones.......

T-D
26th July 2007, 23:00
some World Superbike rumours also from MCN, World SBK will race at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah in 2008

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/july/jul23-29/jul2807worldsuperbikesetforusreturn/?&R=EPI-93022
this rumour is noot even remotely accurate. wsbk is negotiating with barber motorsports park for the usa round, not miller.

osg
26th July 2007, 23:49
I kinda understand where you're coming from osg but think you're perhaps a little harsh. Yes, he only has one race win in 123(?) starts even with some real top equipment but he has really matured a lot in the last couple of years and is putting in some real solid results. I kinda see him as like a Nicky Hayden, just lacking that extra edge for consistent race wins which is what would keep him out of a real top MotoGP ride.

that is a spot on analogy......... sorry ninja, i use a sledgehammer way too often online :( , when i should use a blow up one instead :p :

ChrisS
27th July 2007, 09:05
superbikeplanet.com throws out an interesting theory on the Yamaha line-up, saying a possibility could be a Rossi one-man team on Bridgestones.......

I think this bridgestone tyres thing is getting out of hand, Honda and Yamaha have deep ties with Michelin and aren't going to jump ship at the first sign of trouble, even Rossi personally has benefited greatly from Michelin over the years

Besides Michelin may be down this season but a company with its recourses and know how will make a comeback.

ChrisS
27th July 2007, 15:06
this rumour is noot even remotely accurate. wsbk is negotiating with barber motorsports park for the usa round, not miller.

That was a month ago this is now

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=11147

patnicholls
27th July 2007, 23:53
The Alex de Angelis thing is a tough one.

I think I underrate him - never quite expect him to be in the championship running but then notice just how many second places he does get. Admittedly, one race win in 100+ odd isn't enough, but he has had some horrendous luck in there amongst other things. Pedigree-wise he's not quite a Lorenzo or Dovi, but you could do a lot worse.

Possibly the most interesting mover will be Dovi - aside from Dani he's the only Honda rider in all GP classes to win any races this year, so they will want to hang onto him. But after the nightmare that they've had in the top class this season, will he go there if a D'Antin Ducati came up, for instance?

NinjaMaster
29th July 2007, 04:50
Could Dovi be a possibility for a Kwak or Suzuki seat? He is sick of not get support from the Honda factory and his only Honda options next year are privateers so would he be keen to go for a factory ride, even at one of the lesser manufacturers?

The Phantom
30th July 2007, 06:45
de Angelis went all the way to Laguna Seca just to watch the racing! That's pretty cool if you ask me.

tha_jackal
30th July 2007, 08:08
de Angelis went all the way to Laguna Seca just to watch the racing! That's pretty cool if you ask me.

:laugh: .. And you dont think he would have dropped into a few team garages to let them know he hopes to head into GP's next year? To tell that his services are available and that he hasnt been out of the top four in any race in the 250s this year?

Pretty good opportunity with no other 250 riders around IMO.. Surely there was an ulterior motive, other than 'just watching the racing' ;)

T-D
30th July 2007, 20:23
alex doesn't have an agent to contact the teams? i'd be surprised that he would have needed to go across the atlantic merely to have some exclusive fac time with the teams.

ChrisS
30th July 2007, 22:20
alex doesn't have an agent to contact the teams? i'd be surprised that he would have needed to go across the atlantic merely to have some exclusive fac time with the teams.

sometimes being there in person even if its just to shake a few hands smile for the cameras and talk for a few minutes can help you more than an agent

The Phantom
31st July 2007, 03:58
Yeah I'd have to agree Jackal, he was doing a bit of PR while enjoying the Californian sunshine ;)

ozrevhead
31st July 2007, 12:27
I think this bridgestone tyres thing is getting out of hand, Honda and Yamaha have deep ties with Michelin and aren't going to jump ship at the first sign of trouble, even Rossi personally has benefited greatly from Michelin over the years

Besides Michelin may be down this season but a company with its recourses and know how will make a comeback.
True - but its hide time he and everyone else stop blaming/crediting tires for the championship standings

tha_jackal
1st August 2007, 12:37
Toseland to Yamaha.. Looking likely..

Question is, with what team and as whose teammate?

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/daisy/archive/2007/08/01/268140.aspx

NinjaMaster
1st August 2007, 13:43
My guess would be a Michelin shod Tech3 Yamaha alongside Colin Edwards.

tha_jackal
1st August 2007, 13:49
Mmm, or it could be that Yamaha start another team? And have Toseland alongside Lorenzo? With Rossi in his own team and Edwards joining Guintoli at Tech 3? Yamaha is set to go full scale and match it with Honda.. ;)

ChrisS
1st August 2007, 14:37
BBC reports he will be racing for Yamaha factory team.

how safe is Guintoli at Tech3? wasn't he there because of Dunlop? though I think he did a good job so far

tha_jackal
1st August 2007, 14:38
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61255

patnicholls
1st August 2007, 23:49
JT's move does open a massive door of opportunity at Ten Kate, especially with the rumour that they may fancy expanding to four Superbikes as well as the two Supersport machines.

It seems fairly likely that Roby will stay, as he brings a very good sponsor and also has improved markedly over this season as he gets to grips with a four-cylinder bike. We all know he's a smart rider from his time in 250s so should continue to get better.

Kenan seems a shoe-in to move up, strolling as he is to the WSS title with Ten Kate.

As for other possibilities, some thoughts from me:

Kiyo and/or Jonny Rea to move from BSB to WSB, or Leon Camier for a real outside bet[/*:m:q1o8plo4]
Michel Fabrizio to go to the top Honda team at Honda's behest[/*:m:q1o8plo4]
Andrew Pitt to get another shot at WSB following his excellent stand-in WSS rides for Ten Kate this year[/*:m:q1o8plo4]
Other top WSS runners to move up (Charpentier [prob not], Harms, Jones?)[/*:m:q1o8plo4]
Or even someone from Superstock 1000?[/*:m:q1o8plo4]

tha_jackal
2nd August 2007, 00:38
If Ant West isnt in GP next year, then Ten Kate would be silly NOT to look at him as an option for one of those four bikes.. He took it to Sofuoglu during his wildcards in WSS while learning tracks, tyres and the bike and would really go well @ Ten Kate on a big SBK IMO..

Overall though I hope he stays in GPs :) But Ten Kate wouldnt be a bad fallback option at all... (Like Ninja has stated earlier i believe?)

Cheers!

jonny hurlock
2nd August 2007, 01:33
Kenan seems a shoe-in to move up, strolling as he is to the WSS title with Ten Kate.

As for other possibilities, some thoughts from me:

Kiyo and/or Jonny Rea to move from BSB to WSB, or Leon Camier for a real outside bet[/*:m:suzca7w8]
Michel Fabrizio to go to the top Honda team at Honda's behest[/*:m:suzca7w8]
Andrew Pitt to get another shot at WSB following his excellent stand-in WSS rides for Ten Kate this year[/*:m:suzca7w8]
Other top WSS runners to move up (Charpentier [prob not], Harms, Jones?)[/*:m:suzca7w8]
Or even someone from Superstock 1000?[/*:m:suzca7w8]

if I was ten kate for next season I would like to buy in with Rolfo is Kiyo because he got exprenince with the bike also a possiable double bsb champ, or if he goes to moto gp (might happen) it will be Johnny Rea (red bull money)

ChrisS
2nd August 2007, 08:25
Kiyonari is an HRC rider, if he moves to world SBK would that mean HRC support for Ten Kate (or even an HRC team?)

seppefan
2nd August 2007, 13:38
Sofuoglu?

tha_jackal
2nd August 2007, 14:14
Considering Ten Kate are expanding to four WSBK bikes next year the options are almost endless.. Id bet one of Rea or Camier will get a go.. Kiyo maybe? Ant West, if he isnt in GPs? Barros, Edwards, Pitt?

ChrisS
2nd August 2007, 14:18
its likely,though Ten Kate may choose a more experienced rider that can be a title contender from the start. If Ten Kate runs 4 bikes like its rumoured then Sofuoglu could get a seat at the junior team

maxu05
3rd August 2007, 02:38
I think there maybe a few Motogp riders to choose from towards the end of the year. With so many newcomers to Motogp, someone has to leave.

ChrisS
3rd August 2007, 20:22
most of the MotoGP guys are midpack riders and midpack riders in MotoGP are pretty much midpak riders in SBK as well

Edwards could be an option if he is out but I dont think he is, he also ruled out SBK

I think Ten Kate should give Fabrizio a seat. He is young but he has been racing for a while now and knows all the circuits

Mach24
4th August 2007, 09:44
Apparently Ten Kate were to announce the 2008 rider line up at Brands this weekend, but have backed away from doing so.

I must say I was very surprised to see JT on the prime HRC bike at Suzuka only to be followed by an announcement of his move to chief rival Yamaha in the week following.

Seems JT may have pulled a shifty on Honda/Ten Kate?

It will be very interesting to see where Johnny Rea & Kiyo end up in 08'.

T-D
5th August 2007, 04:13
rea neil hodgson's have the same manager as jt--roger burnett. he is pushing hard to get rea out of bsb and into wsbk next year because that's the only way to motogp. he was not sanguine about neil's options in wsbk however.

leon haslam was also in the paddock stoking rumours of airwaves switch to wsbk. leon also wants to be in wsbk again next year.

if ducati have a clue they will dump lanzi for rea or haslam.

tha_jackal
6th August 2007, 08:56
Ten Kate WSBK Lineup for 08 as 'rumoured' by Fox commentators:-

1. Kenan Sufoglu
2. Anthony West
3. Robby 'Hanspree' Rolfo
4. Broc Parks

I like the looks of that.. Although, im not completely sure Parkes has prooven himself as a potential regular WSBK front runner.. Id also prefer that Ant stays in GP's.. But as far as a fallback option goes, that looks like a good one...

Mach24
6th August 2007, 12:19
Ten Kate WSBK Lineup for 08 as 'rumoured' by Fox commentators:-

1. Kenan Sufoglu
2. Anthony West
3. Robby 'Hanspree' Rolfo
4. Broc Parks

5. Xaus
6. Rea
7. Kiyo
8. Brookes
9. Edwards
10 Barros
11 Checa
12 Pitt

I am sure there are a few more sniffing around.........

NinjaMaster
6th August 2007, 13:00
The commentators also mentioned the return of Virginio Ferrari as the manager of a/the Kawasaki superbike team. I would love to see him return running a new factory squad alongside the current PSG-1 team to add more dept to the field.

Mach24
6th August 2007, 13:07
The commentators also mentioned the return of Virginio Ferrari as the manager of a/the Kawasaki superbike team. I would love to see him return running a new factory squad alongside the current PSG-1 team to add more dept to the field.

It was announced in the past week or two that Kawasaki and PSG were forming a stronger partnership with Factory support for 08'.

ChrisS
6th August 2007, 13:14
wasn't SBK going to announce whether or not they are going stateside in 2008 and release a provisional calendar at Brands?

NinjaMaster
6th August 2007, 13:56
It was announced in the past week or two that Kawasaki and PSG were forming a stronger partnership with Factory support for 08'.
Yeah, I see that he has already been taken on as team manager for PSG-1. Hopefully this is the start of a new, more competitive Kawasaki.

SBK are never very reliable on when they make their announcements. Hopefully they can organise a return to the US.

The Phantom
6th August 2007, 16:50
I think Ten Kate should give Fabrizio a seat. He is young but he has been racing for a while now and knows all the circuits

I agree, Chris - Fabrizio is one of the top Honda guys not on a top bike.

However, it's possible that Brookes could/would perform as well if given access to the top level machinery.

Rudedawg
6th August 2007, 22:05
I agree, Chris - Fabrizio is one of the top Honda guys not on a top bike.

However, it's possible that Brookes could/would perform as well if given access to the top level machinery.

I think Fabrizio's stint in Motogp has given him a boost and I think he will do well in the Ten Kate stable. When looking at his performance at Brands he could do even better on a Ten Kate bike.

burger
9th August 2007, 02:14
I think Fabrizio's stint in Motogp has given him a boost and I think he will do well in the Ten Kate stable. When looking at his performance at Brands he could do even better on a Ten Kate bike.

Ten Kate demand their riders perform at their maximum every race. Have a look at how consistent Toseland has been and Vermeulen before him. Now look at Carpentier the past two years and Sofuglu (sp?) this year.

Fabrizio is too inconsistent to be considered for Ten Kate - some weeks he is awesome and rides very well (like at Brands last weekend), other weeks he's pretty average.

burger
9th August 2007, 03:09
5. Xaus
6. Rea
7. Kiyo
8. Brookes
9. Edwards
10 Barros
11 Checa
12 Pitt

I am sure there are a few more sniffing around.........

Andrew Pitt has a pretty good relationship with Ten Kate and did a very good job subbing for Carpentier earlier in the season. Plus he had 2 pretty good seasons with Yamaha Italy. Possible

Rea and Kiyo are both contracted with HRC, not sure when those contracts are up, so that may prevent them from going with Ten Kate.

I reckon Brookes will stay with Stiggy next season.

Xaus hasn't raced a 4 cylinder production bike since before the Crimean war - he may be back with the factory Ducati team next season, or will stay with Sterilgarda and ride a 1098 with them.

Checa? Who knows

Edwards? May well still be in motoGP next year

Barros? Could be told to F-off after the way he ditched Klaffi at the end of the 06 season

Just my 2c worth tho

The Phantom
9th August 2007, 04:01
Fabrizio is too inconsistent to be considered for Ten Kate - some weeks he is awesome and rides very well (like at Brands last weekend), other weeks he's pretty average.

That's a fair comment. He might be one of those riders that needs everything perfect to be comfortable to push hard.

I was wondering about Neukirchner too - he was a rising star not so long ago but now nothing?

NinjaMaster
9th August 2007, 13:08
Ten Kate demand their riders perform at their maximum every race. Have a look at how consistent Toseland has been and Vermeulen before him. Now look at Carpentier the past two years and Sofuglu (sp?) this year.

None of Vermeulen, Muggeridge, Parkes, Charpentier even Toseland were very consistent before heading to Ten Kate. I think Fabrizio would be a consistent top 5 runner with Ten Kate. Said that, I don't think he will be picked up by them next year.

In something a little different, I read also that Valentino Rossi is being investigated by the Italian Tax Office over undeclared income of a possible $90mil(AUD). Perhaps he has been on the dole all this time and his racing has just been a little cash job on the side!

ChrisS
9th August 2007, 17:15
so soup reports that JT's replacement will be ... Neil Hodgson.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/070807a.htm

maxu05
9th August 2007, 17:22
so soup reports that JT's replacement will be ... Neil Hodgson.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/070807a.htm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

tha_jackal
10th August 2007, 03:35
God help us if he gets the ride! Give it to a young brit with promise like Rea or Camier for heavens sake, anyone but Neil! Sheesh.. :D He'll probably turn it down, like he did the Gresini ride, he's way to good for the best bike in WSBK :lol:

burger
10th August 2007, 05:39
None of Vermeulen, Muggeridge, Parkes, Charpentier even Toseland were very consistent before heading to Ten Kate. I think Fabrizio would be a consistent top 5 runner with Ten Kate. Said that, I don't think he will be picked up by them next year.

In something a little different, I read also that Valentino Rossi is being investigated by the Italian Tax Office over undeclared income of a possible $90mil(AUD). Perhaps he has been on the dole all this time and his racing has just been a little cash job on the side!

Yeah, inconsistency was Toselands' problem when he won the championship in 2005 for Ducati.... :rolleyes:

Parkes is _still_ inconsistent as is Karl Muggeridge - so I agree on those two (and this is why both have been dropped by Ten Kate). Vermeulen was quite consistent the year before he joined Ten Kate (on the Dark dog bike I believe). The year before Charpentier joined Ten Kate he finished 3rd in the supersport championship behind Chris and Karl (on the megabike Honda I believe)

NinjaMaster
10th August 2007, 11:36
Yeah, inconsistency was Toselands' problem when he won the championship in 2005 for Ducati.... :rolleyes:

Almost right there champ. Inconsistency was JT's problem when he lost the title for Ducati in 05 hence being dumped at seasons end and getting picked up by Ten Kate for 06. He was consistent in 2004 when he won his title when Laconi consistenly crashed out of race winning leads.

Parkes is _still_ inconsistent as is Karl Muggeridge - so I agree on those two (and this is why both have been dropped by Ten Kate). Vermeulen was quite consistent the year before he joined Ten Kate (on the Dark dog bike I believe). The year before Charpentier joined Ten Kate he finished 3rd in the supersport championship behind Chris and Karl (on the megabike Honda I believe)

Vermeulens performances were all over the place before he joined Ten Kate (he was 7th in 02 with the Van Zon team I think). Seb's 04 was better than I remebered but 03 was fairly wacky and Parkes was actually very good on a Ten Kate with no finishes below 4th but unfortunately no wins and 2 crashes.
So basically Ten Kate pick on who they see having potential speed rather than who is already consistent.

I'll be spewin if Neil Hodgson gets a Ten Kate Seat over Pitt, Kiyo, Rea, Fabrizio, etc. I think he has less to offer than any of them. Good luck to him if he can get it but I think he would waste it.

Finally, Alex Hoffman has been sniffing around the WSB pits for possibilities next year which sounds as though he perhaps isn't too confident of getting a MotoGP ride next year. I think he could do really well in WSB on a good bike.

T-D
11th August 2007, 01:06
sorry to interject some sanity into the neil lovefest, but at this stage in his career, i give him the ten kate seat over rea or camier. and i love rea and camier, but their championship time is on the horizon, for neil the moment is now.

burger
11th August 2007, 01:55
hehe so I got the year wrong. 2005 was the year that Troy Corser blitzed everyone early on and had a 65+ point lead at one point, before Vermeulen started pegging him back.

I still think that Fabrizio isn't the man for Ten Kate. Hodgeson (as much as I think he's a whiny prat) is a bloody quick rider (his race at Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago is proof of that) and looks like he can make a 4 go as quick as he can make a v-twin. Plus he's hungry and has good development skills.

Either way, it will be interesting to see who Ten Kate pick and how many bikes they run :)

NinjaMaster
11th August 2007, 02:45
I wouldn't pick Fabrizio alongside Rolfo in the full Ten Kate team but I would be happy to see him alongside Sofuoglu in the junior/satellite team. I think he's shown real improvement this year, in a team that hasn't been the ideal platform to work from with it's internal problems.

I don't rate Hodgson as a WSB title contender. He will be 34 next year, past his best in my opinion and I don't reckon he can compete with the likes of Bayliss, Biaggi, Haga and Corser and I don't think he will be any better than Rolfo (who I think will be a much improved rider next year). His time was 2003, not now. I would much rather see them take on the likes of Kiyonari who could be the next Haga and give him a leg up for 09 when the likes of Bayliss, Corser, Biaggi will (most likely) all retire. Let Neil finish his career in BSB in front of his home fans.

patnicholls
13th August 2007, 01:17
Again, some pondering.

Gerrit/Ronald ten Kate have said they want someone who can develop the bike as opposed to merely the fastest young charger. So that throws a few things up to think about.

Roby Rolfo is getting quicker as he gets used to the bike, but he's generally not running in the front pack yet, even as teammate to JT. Last year with Caracchi on the Ducati he started well and faded badly, suggesting that rider or team possibly didn't push on throughout the season in terms of developing. I like Roby (remember his great performances in 250s against the Aprilias) but at present he's not one to lead a team on his own in WSB, particularly when its the top team in the series.

I'm all for young hopes moving up, but Sykes and Camier aren't ready yet(Tom got his first two podiums in BSB this weekend - he has been super-consistent all season though in 5th/6th etc; Camier had a metioric start but has slipped back although is regarded highly by HRC after his two Suzuka showings). Jonny Rea...maybe. He still has only won a couple of BSB races, let's be honest. Another year's BSB then we'll see for each of them.

Kiyo is ready - he's won 20+ BSB races and the title, it's time to move back up. Fabrizio could also potentially move across, although he's Honda Europe-backed anyway so could just as easily keep his DFX seat.

Sofuoglu should be a shoe-in for promotion, no debate on that one.

Pitt...I like. But he has a knack for making wrong moves in the rider market or just being unlucky (like being ditched by Yamaha for this year).

Hodgson - is the rider everyone loves to hate on this forum, yes. And as for saying his time was 2003 and not now - I bet a lot of people said TC's time was 1996 and not now at the end of 2004 :p Neil was JT's senior team-mate in 2002 of course, and his recent ride in AMA at Laguna on a not-very-factory Honda proved he's still quick. And I'm a Walker fan!

If I was picking the Ten Kate lineup, I'd go with

Hodgson (experience)[/*:m:30hi5nbf]
Rolfo (money/developing)[/*:m:30hi5nbf]
Sofuoglu (future superstar)[/*:m:30hi5nbf]
Kiyo (future/present star)[/*:m:30hi5nbf]with Pitt in the WSS team alongside Charpentier or AN Other. Keep Fabrizio at DFX, Italian in Italian team works well, language barriers & team chemistry being important.

ChrisS
13th August 2007, 09:36
A move to SBK for Kiyo isnt a simple matter of moving from one series to the other.

Kiyo is an HRC rider, HM Plant is an HRC team, Ten Kate has support for Honda Europe but nothing to do with HRC (perhaps they do use an HRC kit but its greatly modified in-house)

I dont think Kiyo would jump from an HRC Team to a 2nd Ten Kate team unless HRC is backing the team in some way

fireblade1000
13th August 2007, 23:39
Anyone herd any more on the rumours that airwaves ducati or hm plant honda will be heading from bsb to wsbk?

Think hodgson would be a good choice for ten kate, although i would like to see kiyo in wsbk next year. If they have a b-team next year that is where the new superbike guys like sofuoglu are likely to be.

neninja
14th August 2007, 10:26
The rumour was that the Ten Kate 'A' team would be an HRC team. That was the carrot that was being dangled to encourage James Toseland to stay in WSB.

This is the last year for the full HRC team in BSB and they were planning to switch the resource to World's next year. On that basis you'd think that Kiyo is a shoe in if it does end up being an HRC team under the Ten Kate banner. Kiyo needs to move forward to WSB now before he goes stale.

Personally I think Hodgson would make an excellent team mate for Kiyo - he's experienced and has won the championship before.

That would then leave the 'B' team to probably run Rolfo and Sofuoglu. Their bikes would basically be the spec that Toseland and Rolfo are riding this year and prepared by Ten Kate so a great package.

Roby44
14th August 2007, 11:13
Roby Rolfo is getting quicker as he gets used to the bike, but he's generally not running in the front pack yet, even as teammate to JT. Last year with Caracchi on the Ducati he started well and faded badly, suggesting that rider or team possibly didn't push on throughout the season in terms of developing. I like Roby (remember his great performances in 250s against the Aprilias) but at present he's not one to lead a team on his own in WSB, particularly when its the top team in the series.

Yes I remember those great rides of Roby in the 250cc class!! Wasn't he a joy to watch!! :) But as you say he is getting quicker, he'll get there I have no doubt ;) ;) ;)

neninja
14th August 2007, 11:22
It sounds like Loris might be on the way to Suzuki alongside Chris Vermeulen instead of to Kawasaki.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug13-19/aug1307motogpchrisvermeulenhappytopartnerloriscapi rossi/?&R=EPI-93528

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug13-19/aug1307motogploriscapirossiunlikelytopartnerjohnho pkins/?&R=EPI-93521
Could be positive for Ant West if he keeps on improving.

Mach24
14th August 2007, 11:41
Yes I remember those great rides of Roby in the 250cc class!! Wasn't he a joy to watch!! :) But as you say he is getting quicker, he'll get there I have no doubt ;) ;) ;)

I am confident Roberto will not be a championship threat once again in 08'!

Roby44
14th August 2007, 11:48
I am confident Roberto will not be a championship threat once again in 08'!

You never know..Stranger things have happened in life!! ;)

NinjaMaster
14th August 2007, 11:52
Again, some pondering.

Gerrit/Ronald ten Kate have said they want someone who can develop the bike as opposed to merely the fastest young charger. So that throws a few things up to think about.

I'm all for young hopes moving up, but Sykes and Camier aren't ready yet(Tom got his first two podiums in BSB this weekend - he has been super-consistent all season though in 5th/6th etc; Camier had a metioric start but has slipped back although is regarded highly by HRC after his two Suzuka showings). Jonny Rea...maybe. He still has only won a couple of BSB races, let's be honest. Another year's BSB then we'll see for each of them.

Kiyo is ready - he's won 20+ BSB races and the title, it's time to move back up. Fabrizio could also potentially move across, although he's Honda Europe-backed anyway so could just as easily keep his DFX seat.

Sofuoglu should be a shoe-in for promotion, no debate on that one.

Pitt...I like. But he has a knack for making wrong moves in the rider market or just being unlucky (like being ditched by Yamaha for this year).

Hodgson - is the rider everyone loves to hate on this forum, yes. And as for saying his time was 2003 and not now - I bet a lot of people said TC's time was 1996 and not now at the end of 2004 :p Neil was JT's senior team-mate in 2002 of course, and his recent ride in AMA at Laguna on a not-very-factory Honda proved he's still quick. And I'm a Walker fan!

If I was picking the Ten Kate lineup, I'd go with

Hodgson (experience)[/*:m:3tztpe06]
Rolfo (money/developing)[/*:m:3tztpe06]
Sofuoglu (future superstar)[/*:m:3tztpe06]
Kiyo (future/present star)[/*:m:3tztpe06]with Pitt in the WSS team alongside Charpentier or AN Other. Keep Fabrizio at DFX, Italian in Italian team works well, language barriers & team chemistry being important.

I like your posts Pat. They are generally unbiased and well reasoned. Just a couple of comments:
I rate Hodgsons time as 2003 because that's when all the good guys left (Corser had the Petronas, as good as not being there) and that was his chance. And he took it so good on him. I still rated Corser as the one to beat in 04 because he had previously shown that he could beat the best head-to-head, something that Hodgson has never done.
I think neninja's Hodgson proposal might work. Hodgson could work at Honda if he is picked up to develop the 'Blade alongside Kiyo who could be a contender. I don't rate Neil as a contender though. And whilst his Laguna result was an impressive effort, the AMA is pretty short on depth. If he did it in BSB I would be much more impressed.

In other news, it appears as though Lightspeed Kawasaki rider Davide Guigliano may be out of a ride after busting his ankle (I think) in a national championship race before the last WSS round at Brands. That isn't the problem though. The problem is that he never told his team of his injury and when he wasn't passed fit to ride, it was too late for the team to get a replacement rider and thus had to sit out Brands. Oops.

BMW may enter motorcycle racing next year but in WSB and not MotoGP as has been previously rumoured. They are apparently building a 4 cylinder, 16-valve 1000 called the K1000RS. It is said to begin testing at Vallelunga in October at the conclusion of the WSB season. MV Agusta are also said to be be building a new sports bike, a 675cc triple supersport machine. Neither sound as exciting as Maxu's upcoming race bike but the more the better I reckon.

burger
14th August 2007, 12:25
A move to SBK for Kiyo isnt a simple matter of moving from one series to the other.

Kiyo is an HRC rider, HM Plant is an HRC team, Ten Kate has support for Honda Europe but nothing to do with HRC (perhaps they do use an HRC kit but its greatly modified in-house)

I dont think Kiyo would jump from an HRC Team to a 2nd Ten Kate team unless HRC is backing the team in some way

I believe Ten kate get minimal (if any) support whatsoever from HRC. There is no HRC backed team in WSBK, and certainly not in the way that HM Plant receive massive backing from HRC and Honda UK, so I think you're right on that one ChrisS

NinjaMaster
14th August 2007, 12:57
Yeah, not even their website has an HRC logo on it, a surefire sign of a lack of Honda Racing involvement. I think the only HRC bits they have, they buy and then probably modify them better anyway! :)

neninja
14th August 2007, 13:14
I believe Ten kate get minimal (if any) support whatsoever from HRC. There is no HRC backed team in WSBK, and certainly not in the way that HM Plant receive massive backing from HRC and Honda UK, so I think you're right on that one ChrisS

The HM Plant team is the only full HRC Superbike team outside of Japan with Japanese HRC staff and the bikes are built in Japan and shipped complete to the team. They also have factory Showa suspension.

That HRC support ends this year so they will probably transfer those resources to WSB and most likely to Hannspree / Ten Kate. That would explain Ten Kate's plans to run 4 bikes next year.

It would also provide the platform for Kiyo to move to WSB which would seem to be Honda's intention.

patnicholls
14th August 2007, 13:22
Anyone herd any more on the rumours that airwaves ducati or hm plant honda will be heading from bsb to wsbk?

Well, obviously nothing's been announced yet and possibly won't be til later this season/after the season.

As with the past year-and-a-bit, there are various noises about both teams and from the Airwaves Ducati riders in particular. A lot of things come into it including riders, sponsors (as seen with the Reve Ekerold WSS team, sometimes sponsors would rather be in a domestic market than on the world stage), the new Ducati 1098 or whatever is going to be raced, etc.

Both teams have been in WSB recently though - HRC with Colin Edwards up to 2002 winning two titles and GSE up to the end of 2003. They've both got the resources to do it.

It is noticeable that the depth of BSB is currently a little more than WSB (WSB is pretty good down to about 15th...then there's not much at all), as some of the privateer Brit guys who've wildcarded at Donington/Brands have been a little further up the order in WSB than they are in BSB (Aaron Zanotti and Marty Nutt, I'm referring to). So FGSport will probably be looking to get some stronger teams involved to bulk things up nicely. HM Plant and GSE will be near the front.

As I say though, wait and see.

ChrisS
14th August 2007, 17:37
From what I read, GSE has the blessing of Ducati if they want to move to World SBK but airwaves could be a problem since its a UK product, if they move they are taking both of their riders with them.

I also read that HRC are disbanding HM Plant Honda at the end of the season, I don't know if this mean they will transfer their resources to World SBK

My solution, HRC moves its resources to Ten Kate, HM Plant sponsors GSE in SBK again :D

fireblade1000
14th August 2007, 22:23
Not 100% but is the bike animal honda leon camier is riding this year also hrc backed?

If hrc do leave bsb next year will the top honda team be a honda uk team like karl harris run with a couple of years ago?

Good to see my first post in a while (again!) generated some disscussion, thanks for all the feedback. This is a great forum and i'll try to post more often.

neninja
15th August 2007, 10:09
The Bike Animal bike that Camier rides is a Honda UK bike like Rea's Red Bull backed bike from a year ago

Mach24
15th August 2007, 11:45
It is noticeable that the depth of BSB is currently a little more than WSB (WSB is pretty good down to about 15th...then there's not much at all).

I think you are being generous in saying the top 15 are 'pretty good'.

Really it is only the big 4 Japanese and Ducati with question marks hanging over Lanzi and Rolfo.

Xaus can get among it here nor there and Fabrizio is improving.

I think Ducati want GSE on board and Honda will support Ten Kate with another 2 bikes all in the name of development.

More depth in the series is essential if WSBK is to prosper.

Mach24
15th August 2007, 12:47
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug13-19/aug1507bsbblog2008signingsstarttoshapeup/

British Superbikes
2008 signings start to shape up

Don’t you just love this time of the year, with all the rumours, counter rumours and downright bull**** that’s surrounding who goes where in the future?

It’s such fun. In the British Superbike paddock there’s so much gossip right now that there’s people spinning yarns just to see how long it takes to do the rounds and come back to them as gospel!

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is the tough part, but here’s a stab at what seems at least close to the truth……

Airwaves Ducati
Their future hangs on what Airwaves want to do. If they don’t want to do World Superbikes then GSE Racing owner Darrell Healey either has to find a new backer, or fund it himself.

If Airwaves stay in British Superbikes it’s hard to see what bikes they would be racing, given that there’s no dispensation yet for Ducati to run aftermarket pistons under the new 2008 Supersport-spec tuning rules.

Darrell Healey races to win and that means at least running a factory-backed effort, even if there’s no factory bikes.

Honda’s already covered on that score, and to a degree, so are Suzuki. That leaves Kawasaki and Yamaha – both with well-established teams running their bike – and neither do big-time factory support in British Superbikes. Or maybe MV is an option?

Under Supersport rules the F4 1000 might be a good package and there’s no doubt GSE Racing have the experience to exploit it to the max.

Leon Haslam is gagging to step up to the world stage and wants to stay with the team but he reckons there’s an option to go with Ten Kate Honda in World Superbikes if Airwaves stay in the UK.

Gregorio Lavilla definitely wants to move back to World Superbikes to try and realise his lifelong goal of winning a world title.

He’s hoping to stick with Airwaves but only in World Superbikes and not British Superbikes. His other options are unclear – though he says he’s willing to work as a development rider for a year with the proviso he gets a team place in 2009.

HM Plant Honda
Bank on HRC cutting back their support for the Louth-based team in 2008, which means a reduced budget won’t allow them to buy in Michelin support.

Expect to see the team running HRC-kit bikes similar to Leon Camier’s 2007 ride and on Dunlops. With HRC downscaling, Ryuichi Kiyonari is 99 per cent certain to join Ten Kate in World Superbikes.

Talk of MotoGP for him is there, and the boss of HRC says there's a chance for the Japanese reigning champion but for me it seems optimistic for 2008.

We’ve heard Jonathan Rea has been offered British Superbikes again by Honda. He also has an offer to join Xerox Ducati but whether Rea would be happy being Troy Bayliss’s understudy for a year is another question. But it would put him in the hot seat for 2009 to lead the team when the Aussie retires.

Honda Racing
With HRC cutting back on the HM Plant team it’s hard to see the Bike Animal team continuing to run in British Superbikes next year but there is likely to be an official Supersport team. Its livery is another question. With that in mind, Leon Camier is the hot tip to join the HM Plant squad.

Stobart Honda
It’s been such a fantastic season for Stobart Honda it’s hard to imagine any major changes in Paul Bird’s team – although they will have a new bike to develop next year if they stick with Honda. The chances of them going back to Ducati appear slim considering there’s no dispensation to allow the twins to run aftermarket pistons.

Shane Byrne has said he’d consider going to World Superbikes but it’s difficult to see any options there.

But it’s not significant that he’s not had any discussions with Birdy about next year yet. Tom Sykes could be on the shopping list for several British Superbike teams following his so far brilliant rookie BSB season but it’s more likely he’ll stay put.

Hydrex Honda
There’s gossip that the team's owner Shaun Muir boss has had enough of British Superbike and will throw everything into the roads next year with Guy Martin.

If they do stay they’ll need to find that missing ingredient to bridge the gap to the front-runners. No-one seems to be talking up Karl Harris’ options for 2008 at this stage.

MSS Discovery Kawasaki
The rumours are they’ll pass their Supersport effort to a satellite team and run two Superbikes in 2008.

Michael Rutter’s future is in doubt following a string of disappointing results – unless he can pull something out of the bag in the final three rounds now that he’s got Akira World Superbike-spec engines and bunch of other new parts to play with.

Stuart Easton could step up to British Suprbikes after promising rides at Mondello Park and Knockhill when Michael Rutter was sidelined by injury, while team owner Nick Morgan could look outside the UK for his riders like he has in the past., with Julien Da Costa and Pere Riba.

Hawk Kawasaki
There’s no big gossip surrounding the team who are concentrating more on getting James Haydon on board for Cadwell in a bid to sign off the 2007 on a high note.

Rizla Suzuki
Team manager Simon Buckmaster is not making any secret that Chris Walker is unlikely to figure in his plans for 2008.

He’s keen to keep Cal Crutchlow but has already told motorcyclenews.com that he’d like to talk to Leon Camier, Tom Sykes and Leon Haslam about their 2008 plans.

He’s also consider bringing Shane Byrne back to the fold but Shakey reckons he’s not interested after being dumped by them at the end of 2006.

Team NB Suzuki
After the sad death of Ollie Bridewell at Mallory Park the team has been put on hold – but they are regrouping and could return to the track before the end of the season.

Ollie’s brother Tommy has talked about having unfinished business in racing but his exact plans are not known. Neither are the long terms plans of the team, which is no surprise considering the tragedy they have all lived through recently.

But it would be such a shame to see all their hard work go to waste after their massive restructure last winter was just beginning to reap rewards.

Samsung Suzuki
Team owner Enzo di Clementi says he’s likely to throw in the towel at the end of the year. Dean Thomas has already established his own team and has talked about having one year in a rider/manager role before quitting the sport to concentrate solely on his own outfit.

TAS Suzuki
The Irish-based team will run at least one Superbike in 2008, if not two. British Supersport points leader Michel Laverty has already tested the team’s TT superbike in Ireland and is likely to get the gig for next year.

Virgin Media Yamaha
Providing the budget is in place, Rob McElnea’s Yamaha team will be back next year with a two-man British Superbike team but there’s not much gossip about who’s likely to ride for him yet.

Tommy Hill is keen to progress his career so the works Yamaha ride in World Supersport has to be an option for him to consider. But outside that his name, perhaps surprisingly, isn’t being touted around the rumour mill – yet.

ChrisS
15th August 2007, 16:56
It is noticeable that the depth of BSB is currently a little more than WSB (WSB is pretty good down to about 15th...then there's not much at all), as some of the privateer Brit guys who've wildcarded at Donington/Brands have been a little further up the order in WSB than they are in BSB (Aaron Zanotti and Marty Nutt, I'm referring to). So FGSport will probably be looking to get some stronger teams involved to bulk things up nicely. HM Plant and GSE will be near the front.

It could be the depth of the field or it could be the equality of the equipment (Pirelli Tyres). ;) The "factory" Virgin Yamaha is straggling to keep up with the Michelin and Dunlop teams and these guys ride old Virgin Yamaha bikes

I think you are being generous in saying the top 15 are 'pretty good'.

Really it is only the big 4 Japanese and Ducati with question marks hanging over Lanzi and Rolfo.

Xaus can get among it here nor there and Fabrizio is improving.

I think Ducati want GSE on board and Honda will support Ten Kate with another 2 bikes all in the name of development.

More depth in the series is essential if WSBK is to prosper.

There is also Neukirchner who is doing well on a year old Suzuki and Smrz who also showed good things this season given he is riding a 2 year old Ducati

and only the big 4 Japanese and Ducati? actually I thing is 3 Japanese and Ducati, Kawasaki is a midfield team but even so that 7-8 bikes and riders capable of race wins,with 2 Kawasakis another Honda and another Suzuki capable of top 10 finishes. thats a great field IMHO

neninja
16th August 2007, 11:51
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug13-19/aug1507bsbblog2008signingsstarttoshapeup/

Hawk Kawasaki
There’s no big gossip surrounding the team who are concentrating more on getting James Haydon on board for Cadwell in a bid to sign off the 2007 on a high note.

A high note would be pretty much guaranteed if they put James Haydon on board. As in 8ft high when he highsides it. Haydon has spent years keeping bodywork suppliers in business.

ChrisS
16th August 2007, 14:11
Capirossi confirmed at Suzuki

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/6949548.stm

Mach24
18th August 2007, 05:38
Sounds like a bad move for Edwards if he is to be shunted to Tech3 as Herve Poncharal has made it clear he wants Guintoli.

Czech GP - Tech-3 "trying to keep Guintoli"
Eurosport - Fri, 17 Aug 17:58:00 2007
Tech-3 Yamaha are trying to keep Sylvain Guintoli for 2008, according to team boss Herve Poncharal.

More StoriesGuintoli stuns in second practice
The Frenchman's days at the team had looked numbered after Poncharal signed World Superbike champion-elect James Toseland for next year.

But after Guintoli went quickest in second practice for the Czech Grand Prix, the team owner said that he would do all he could to retain him.

"I'm trying all I can to give him a job next season," Poncharal told Eurosport. "But it won't be easy. The other option is very interesting and it's no secret it's Colin Edwards, a man I respect a lot and a top rider.

"We will have a very good team next year and I hope we can sort it soon. I still need to finds a title sponsor but it's looking good."

Poncharal said that Guintoli's flying Friday lap, which came on Dunlop qualifying rubber, dispelled the rumours that the British rubber was no longer competitive against the might of Michelin and Bridgestone.

"Since we signed James people say, don't go with Dunlop. They are not competitive. This proves they are still doing a good job," he added.

"I'm really pleased for them because you can't say they're not competitive. For only two bikes on the grid too. Great."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17082007/58/czech-gp-tech-3-trying-keep-guintoli.html

Mach24
18th August 2007, 05:50
There is also Neukirchner who is doing well on a year old Suzuki and Smrz who also showed good things this season given he is riding a 2 year old Ducati

and only the big 4 Japanese and Ducati? actually I thing is 3 Japanese and Ducati, Kawasaki is a midfield team but even so that 7-8 bikes and riders capable of race wins,with 2 Kawasakis another Honda and another Suzuki capable of top 10 finishes. thats a great field IMHO

Even the Australian Championship has more 'realistic' chances for a win.

You can safely rule out Neukirchner, Smrz, Lanzi, Rolfo, Fabrizio & both Kawasaki's for wins unless something 'amazing' happens. Corser and Kagayama may pinch a win somewhere through the season as Xaus has.

There is limited depth in the championship currently and it is related to quality of machinery not rider ability (with the exception of Lanzi and Rolfo who have the best machinery but do not achieve the results).

A second Ducati and Ten Kate (HRC) team will fill some of the void. PSG1 have Kawasaki on board, perhaps they may become serious players rather than fillers.

ChrisS
18th August 2007, 21:43
MCN reports that Edwards agreed to join Tech3 Yamaha

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug13-19/aug1807mcnexclusivebrnomotogpcolinedwardsjoinsjame stoselandattechthreeyamaha/

jonny hurlock
19th August 2007, 12:19
alex de andelis may stay in 250cc with aspar again for next year, however, he could be driving with parmac or gresini

patnicholls
19th August 2007, 20:14
MCN online today reports that Colin Edwards will be at Tech 3 next season, and Sylvain Guintoli will be at D'Antin Ducati - both 'pre-contract' agreements.

mx311
20th August 2007, 10:54
Rumour mill update time:

On the World Superbike side of things Ruben Xaus has been offered a new 1098 Ducati for next year but not a spot on the factory team but rather for him to continue on the Sterilgarda team. He is also high up on the Ten Kate list.

Also Fonsi Nieto has been linked to Ten Kate but also the Alstare Suzuki team to replace Max Neukirchner on the Suzuki Europe bike. He's also been linked to the Kawasaki MotoGP team and of course to stay at the soon to be factory PSG-1 Corse Kawasaki team.

Carlos Checa is linked to the PSG-1 Corse Kawasaki team for 2008. Not sure if this is to replace Nieto or Regis Laconi or to ride a third bike.

Ten Kate is supposedly going to be split into two teams, a full HRC team and the usual Hannspree mob. Ryo Kiyonari is likely at the HRC team (although is also linked to LCR Honda) while Kenan Sofuoglu is likely to join Roby Rolfo at the Hannspree team. The other bike is anyones guess at the moment (I've heard Carlos Checa, Shinya Nakano and Makoto Tamada's names mentioned alongside many others)

Meanwhile in MotoGP. It looks like all but three rides are now spoken for (not counting Team KR who may or may not be back). So this is the way 2008 is shaping up.

HONDA
Repsol HRC - Nicky Hayden & Dani Pedrosa
Gresini - Toni Elias & Alex de Angeles (was supposed to be announced at Brno, but wasn't)
Konica JiR - Shinya Nakano
LCR - TBA

YAMAHA
Fiat Yamaha - Valentino Rossi & Jorge Lorenzo (may be with Fortuna branding)
Tech3 - Colin Edwards & James Toseland

DUCATI
Marlboro Ducati - Casey Stoner & Marco Melandri
D'Antin - Sylvain Guintoli & TBA (Guintoli not signed but likely)

SUZUKI
Rizla Suzuki - Chris Vermuelen & Loris Capirossi

KAWASAKI
Kawasaki MotoGP - John Hopkins & TBA

That means only three rides left (supposing de Angeles, Guintoli and Nakano do as expected). And that leaves six current riders fighting for those three rides (Ant West, Randy de Puniet, Carlos Checa, Alex Barros, Alex Hofmann, Makoto Tamada) plus any other 250 rider looking to step up (Andrea Dovizioso) or superbike rider switching series (Fonsi Nieto, Michel Fabrizio, Ryo Kiyonari).

Now completely "things I've heard" rather than "things that have some solid proof" it seems that Dovi has his pick of D'Antin Ducati or LCR Honda, Randy de Puniet has the inside running at Kawasaki and Alex Barros or Alex Hofmann have the best bets at D'Antin (if Dovi chooses Honda). Outside of Dovi and Kiyo, I'm not sure who else is on LCR's radar (although someone told me de Puniet and West were).

OK, that's all for now. ;)

Mach24
20th August 2007, 11:31
MCN online today reports that Colin Edwards will be at Tech 3 next season, and Sylvain Guintoli will be at D'Antin Ducati - both 'pre-contract' agreements.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/070819-rds.htm

Edwards: Has He Or Hasn't He?
by staff
Sunday, August 19, 2007

Edwards--has he or hasn't he signed to race MotoGP in 2008?
There are news reports from England that claim Colin Edwards II has signed to be James Toseland's teammate on the 2008 Tech 3 Yamaha team.

If he has signed to ride there next season it will have a huge impact on the current US silly season.

Update: knowledgeable sources say that as of 9:00 PM Sunday night in Brno that Colin Edwards hadn't signed to race anywhere in 2008.

mx311
20th August 2007, 11:39
Update: knowledgeable sources say that as of 9:00 PM Sunday night in Brno that Colin Edwards hadn't signed to race anywhere in 2008.
I think you're right, I don't think Colin Edwards has signed for anyone yet it's just everyone expects him too. I mean Valentino Rossi has made it clear he wants Colin to stay at Yamaha, Colin wants to stay at Yamaha and the only seat left is at Tech3. I'd be really, really surprised if he doesn't sign with them.

I forgot to mention in my post above that Sergio Gadea has resigned with the Aspar Aprilia team for 2008. He will remain in the 125 class. Gabor Talmacsi is expected to step up to the Aspar 250 team to replace Alex de Angeles if de Angeles goes to Gresini as expected.

tha_jackal
20th August 2007, 13:12
"Kawasaki will not look beyond current riders Randy de Puniet or Anthony West to be John Hopkins' teammate next year, autosport.com has learned, with a decision expected in the next two weeks.

The Japanese manufacturer is understood to be reluctant to run a third bike next season, having invested heavily in luring Hopkins for 2008, so the team are now finalising who to put on their second machine.

There have been rumours linking Carlos Checa or Shinya Nakano with the second ride, but autosport.com understands that the team are only considering de Puniet or West.

A decision is expected after the next race at Misano in two weeks' time.

Although de Puniet has had the better results, there are suggestions that West has put a better case forward considering he has only had one day of testing since joining the team at the British Grand Prix.

The Australian is to have a further two-day test at Brno today and tomorrow, with the focus being on qualifying tyres. He has struggled so far to extract the single lap pace from the rubber."

Hope Ant can test well and then use his knowledge of the Misano circuit to push the teams confidence in his favour.. DePuniet crashing a bit more would help too, joking, joking.. But not really :lol: ..

NinjaMaster
20th August 2007, 14:30
I reckon Kawasaki are mad if they don't chase Dovizioso really hard. As much as I love Westy and dePuniet shows some speed, neither of them have ever been title contenders before (for one reason or another) and Dovi is a 125 World Champ and clearly the next best to Lorenzo in 250.

Kevin Magee mentioned last night that Carlos Chuca was likely to be riding a Kwak superbike next year. I'd rather they chase Guintoli, Hoffman or West out of GP or even Neukirchner or Roger-Lee Hayden.

tha_jackal
20th August 2007, 14:40
Kawasaki couldnt afford Capirossi (after signing Hopper) I highly doubt they could afford Dovi (being a young hot prospect).. Plus, Andrea will remain loyal to Honda, im sure.. Honda will come good in the long run and IMO, Dovizioso will be riding for Gresini or LCR Honda come 2008... DeAngelis will end up riding for the Honda team that Dovi doesn't (if that makes sense) .. Id love to see Ant join Sylvain (rumouredly signed) at D'antin, it would be a real 'ex 250cc privateer battlers team' heheh..

NinjaMaster
20th August 2007, 15:14
I can't see Dovi commanding a pricetag as big as Loris and most reports are he's pretty annoyed that Honda basically give him no assistance in his quest to win the 250 World title. Unless Honda give him assurance that he will get Nicky's ride in 09, I think the lure of being in a factory team rather than an also-ran Honda privateer team would be a significant carrot. Not saying it will happen but Kawasaki should make a big play for him.
A West/Guintoli pairing at D'Antin would be fantastic and greatly deserved for each rider. It would give top privateers hope that hard work can pay off.

tha_jackal
21st August 2007, 00:28
Ive heard reports that Dovi has claimed that 'Honda have guaranteed me a ride in MotoGP for 2008' now I know he's talking about Honda :laugh: and it should be taken with a grain of salt, but i really do think he'll stick with the EeevilHRC..

But i have also read Kawasaki are simply choosing between RdP and West, thats who theyve narrowed their search to for the second 2008 seat... (see the Ant West thread) ..

Oh and Sylvain and Ant's success really is well deserved and makes me smile every time i see them out on track mixing it with the big boys.. :up:

fatman
22nd August 2007, 00:09
I predict Rossi will be on Bridgestones next year. If it happens I expect tons of praise for calling it out.

neninja
22nd August 2007, 10:14
Edwards is interviewed in Motorcycle News this week and confirms he signed for Tech 3 at Brno. He has apparently been given 'factory' status for 2008 despite being in a satellite team and has signed a 1 year deal. He also said he'd prefer Tech 3 to run Bridgestone next year. He will then move to the AMA factory Yamaha team in 09.

Nakano has been in talks with Kawasaki for 08 as his contract with Konica Minolta hasn't been renewed. He rode really well on Bridgestone and Kawasaki in the past so would have to be favourite for the ride if his salary expectations aren't too high.

Du Puniet is close to signing with LCR for next year and Checa has been in talks with TenKate to replace Toseland

Dovi is on track to get the Konica Minolta seat.

MCN also report that Ducati are unlikely to be racing in BSB in 08 after they demanded to change more engine parts than the rules allow. They've already been given an extra 200cc and now want to work beyond the Supersport tuning regs that apply for next year.

tha_jackal
22nd August 2007, 10:26
Just to elaborate on your posts a bit neninja.. Ive heard that Dovi will be taking 'Team Scot' sponsorship and mechanics with him to the JiR (Japan Italy Racing) team, as their sponsorship deal with Konica Minolta is up at the end of the year..

Ive also read tha t Kawasaki are only considering West or DePuniet for 2008, so if DePuniet signs with LCR, things are looking good for Ant... :up: do it Randy! Do it! :laugh:

Oh and also, DeAngelis is all but signed for Gresini Honda to replace Melandri.. Bring on the 250 riders, I hope Ants still there to stick it to em :D ;)

osg
22nd August 2007, 20:35
Latest little tidbit.......... Pedrosa is rumored to be in negotiations with Kawasaki. If he is, a decision will need to be made by both parties immediately, as Misano is nearly here........ they were going to announce the '08 lineup there were they not?

fatman
22nd August 2007, 21:26
I think the Pedrosa thing is more a threat than anything. Honda and Michelin both need to up their game if they want to get back into championship contention. Pedrosa telling everyone he is thinking about Kawasaki will help him get his own way with Honda.

Kropotkin is saying that HRC want Pedrosa to sign for 3 years which seems a little long if you ask me. Pedrosa may just be trying to position himself to get a one year deal from Honda instead.

That said, I don't think it would be a bad move for Dani to switch to team green. He needs all the breaking help he can get and a switch to bridgestones may give him more confidence in the front and help him going into the corners (clearly his weakest spot at the moment).

namarow
22nd August 2007, 23:01
I would find it hard to imagine Respol and Moviestar letting their boy go. I think it is just posturing with Pedrosa.
I wonder if Monster will join in the Kawasaki effort?

jonny hurlock
23rd August 2007, 00:15
I would find it hard to imagine Respol and Moviestar letting their boy go. I think it is just posturing with Pedrosa.
I wonder if Monster will join in the Kawasaki effort?

it woundn't happen because of red bull money aswell, pedrosa is just waiting for which tyres he be on either michelin/bridgestone

T-D
23rd August 2007, 04:38
the pedrosa/kwack thing is the silliest of the silly season rumours. it flat out has no legs at all.

kwack have publicly stated it's between west and depunter.

i could buy the shinya rumour, however, i don't see honda letting him go.

dovi will be on the gresini honda. nakkers will stay on the jir bike.

NinjaMaster
23rd August 2007, 09:33
the pedrosa/kwack thing is the silliest of the silly season rumours. it flat out has no legs at all.

kwack have publicly stated it's between west and depunter.

i could buy the shinya rumour, however, i don't see honda letting him go.

dovi will be on the gresini honda. nakkers will stay on the jir bike.
I'd definately agree with ya on the Pedrosa thing T-D, especially with Johnny Hurlock's point about the Red Bull money, though it would be funny if Honda took Dani for granted and decided any talks with Kawasaki were just a bluff and then he did happen to leave. Just because Kawasaki have publicly said the they are only looking at West and dePuniet, they would be in like a shot if Dani was a realistic chance of leaving.
I think Shinya will remain with JiR and Dovi will go to LCR with deAngeles to ride at Gresini alongside Elias. I'm assuming Honda would put Dovizioso at a team like LCR to ease him into MotoGP with the view to elevate him to the factory team in 09. Otherwise he would be better off at Kawasaki.

neninja
23rd August 2007, 10:16
Here's a quote from Michael Bartholemy at Kawasaki, "Nakano is still a possibility. We told him, like we said to Randy and Anthony that we will make a final decision on the Tuesday after Misano."

So it doesn't sound like Kawasaki are only looking at Randy and Ant. Nakano has been the best rider for Kawasaki in MotoGP so they may be tempted to bring him back.

ZX10R_shaun
23rd August 2007, 10:30
gee i hope your right ninja master, that would leave Ant still with a chance with kwaka... hey ninja master hows that bike treating you?

NinjaMaster
23rd August 2007, 11:21
She hates me right now Shaun. Ain't been for a ride for a couple of months. ;( How's the ten chugging along?
I think that for West to be a chance, he is gonna need a big race at Misano 'cause I reckon RdP is highly rated by the green hierarchy. If both fail, it may open the door for Nakkers to make a return.

Roby44
23rd August 2007, 11:26
Here's a quote from Michael Bartholemy at Kawasaki, "Nakano is still a possibility. We told him, like we said to Randy and Anthony that we will make a final decision on the Tuesday after Misano."

So it doesn't sound like Kawasaki are only looking at Randy and Ant. Nakano has been the best rider for Kawasaki in MotoGP so they may be tempted to bring him back.

Kawasaki should never have let Shinya go in the first place!

Roby44
23rd August 2007, 11:27
She hates me right now Shaun. Ain't been for a ride for a couple of months. ;( How's the ten chugging along?
I think that for West to be a chance, he is gonna need a big race at Misano 'cause I reckon RdP is highly rated by the green hierarchy. If both fail, it may open the door for Nakkers to make a return.

Ant should go ok at Misano, he's had a look around the track already so ..Hopefully!!

NinjaMaster
23rd August 2007, 11:33
The problem with Nakano is that he doesn't have much 'mongrel' in him. He doesn't appear to be a real fighter who'll do anything to get that next position. The likes of Hopkins will push to the very edge and do everything possible to get ahead. He's a real racer whereas Nakkers looks more like a supremely fast rider but not so keen on the biff and barge.

fireblade1000
24th August 2007, 00:52
Anybody else heard any of the rumours about randy going to lcr?

Schultz
24th August 2007, 05:55
Does anyone else find it a little silly that they seem to staking kawasaki's future on how well 2 or 3 riders perform at one track? Why don't they just flip a bloody coin!!

tha_jackal
24th August 2007, 08:55
Kawasaki's minds will pretty much be made up, right at this moment.. Tuesday after Misano is only when they are going to announce their decision.. I doubt the outcome of the race will have much to do with the overall decision..

NinjaMaster
24th August 2007, 10:25
Perhaps not sounding too good for Ant or Randy after all.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/23082007/58/season-2008-rea-set-miss-dream-moto-gp-move.html

tha_jackal
24th August 2007, 10:30
I think yahoo uk's motogp news would be less reliable than MCN's! Honestly, to believe that Rea had a chance to make it to GP's next year is the definition of blind patriotism.. I think West has a good chance to remain.. Time will tell..

neninja
24th August 2007, 11:36
The Yahoo UK site is the site for Eurosport, the channel that covers MotoGP in the UK and across much of Europe with Toby Moody and Julian Ryder.

Everywhere I look Nakano seems to be mentioned in connection with the Kawasaki ride.

I agree it would be wishful thinking that Rea would go to MotoGP this year. I suspect he'll be in World Supers in 2009

Roby44
24th August 2007, 11:42
The problem with Nakano is that he doesn't have much 'mongrel' in him. He doesn't appear to be a real fighter who'll do anything to get that next position. The likes of Hopkins will push to the very edge and do everything possible to get ahead. He's a real racer whereas Nakkers looks more like a supremely fast rider but not so keen on the biff and barge.

You could be right there. Last year in Sepang I saw Shinya doing his own laundry!! There he was in teh riders paddock washing his little cotton socks and pegging them out to dry!!

Roby44
24th August 2007, 11:43
Well Randy is off to LCR next year!!

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=20753

tha_jackal
24th August 2007, 12:03

And it says Ant is now favorite for the Kawasaki ride! So piss off Shinya! :D

neninja
24th August 2007, 14:34
You have to wonder whether there will be political pressure for Kawasaki to sign Nakano. Dorna will want a Japanese rider with a top team. With Tamada and Nakano without rides for next year I could see them throwing some money the way of Kawasaki to maintain a Japanese riders presence in the top class.

We'll have to wait and see

NinjaMaster
24th August 2007, 16:20
You have to wonder whether there will be political pressure for Kawasaki to sign Nakano. Dorna will want a Japanese rider with a top team. With Tamada and Nakano without rides for next year I could see them throwing some money the way of Kawasaki to maintain a Japanese riders presence in the top class.

We'll have to wait and see
Perhaps enough to run 3 bikes?

fireblade1000
24th August 2007, 22:49
Would love to see Nakano back where he belongs at team green.

Nothing against Westy baut i think hes going to have to do something special to keep his ride. Any extra money from dorna would go to paying nakano and if the monster sponsorship comes off alot of that will go towards hopper's wages and helping to cover the teams running costs.

Kawasaki haven't had a title sponsor in GPs and have had to pay for most of it themselves. They have done well considering they are one of the smaller team, think of what they could do if can free up a little bit extra cash for R & D next season.

jonny hurlock
24th August 2007, 23:56

rdp going to LCR, that is a bad deal for me, he'll be another rider in a bunch of second rate honda's, should have stayed with kawasaki

Perhaps enough to run 3 bikes?

Could happen heard about it before leguna race this year. if its a 2 bike team I go for Ant West, someone better than OJ, nieto this year on the second bike

Allyc85
25th August 2007, 09:34
Randy is an idiot, he should have fought for his ride at team green n if he didnt get it then go to LCR. I cant see how this is progress!?

mx311
25th August 2007, 10:40
Rumour Mill Update:

MOTOGP
- Randy de Puniet to LCR. Remember RdP and LCR have worked together (quite successfully) in 2003, 2004 in the 250 class.
- Andrea Dovizioso looks like going to a 'new' Honda team, Kopron Team Scot (his 250 team) as they merge with JiR.
- There may be good news for you all, there may well be three works Kawasaki's next year, two Monster Energy sponsored bikes for John Hopkins and Ant West and a Konica Minolta sponsored bike for Shinya Nakano.
- D'Antin Ducati are close to signing Hiroshi Aoyama according to the Spanish press.

250cc
- Firstly, KTM are probably going to disband their factory team with the factory bikes going to Alberto Puig. Repsol Team Puig KTM will likely run three bikes, one for Julian Simon, the other two are open. It's rumoured KTM have offered Alvaro Bautista 2 Million Euros to lead the team.
- Honda will have no works bikes in the 125 or 250 class in 2008. They are waiting for the switch to four-strokes which may happen as soon as 2009 or 2010.
- Aprilia have offered Alvaro Bautista the number 1 factory position if he stays.
- The Aspar team look like promoting Hector Faubel to the 250 class.
- Thomas Luthi will be back at Caffe Latte Elit Aprilia.
- Fortuna Aprilia may expand back to two bikes. Alex Debon is confirmed, the second ride is open with Aleix Espargaro and Hector Barbera being linked by the Spanish press.
- Mika Kallio is reportedly looking for an Aprilia ride next year.

125cc
- As mentioned above Hector Faubel looks set to step up to the 250 class.
- Mattia Pasini and his team also are looking to step up to the 250 class.
- Lukas Pesek and Derbi are also looking to step up in 2008. The Derbi will be a re-badged Aprilia (much like the 125)
- Gabor Talmacsi has an offer to remain at the Aspar 125 team (his last year eligible) but also has an offer to step up to the 250's with the Caffe Latte Elit Aprilia team.
- Aspar Aprilia have resigned Sergio Gadea and are also likely to sign Pere Tatusaus. Bradley Smith has been linked with a move here but that seems dead.
- Stefan Bradl has been guaranteed a factory Aprilia for '08. It will probably be run by the Kiefer Racing team (remember them?)
- As in the 250 class, there looks to be no 'factory' KTM team. Instead they plan on supplying six factory bikes to be run by independant teams.
- One of those teams will be the Repsol Puig team. They look like keeping both Bradley Smith and Esteve Rabat.
- Two more factory KTM's look set for the Spanish BQR team (currently Blusens Aprilia).

osg
25th August 2007, 11:35
Rumour Mill Update:

MOTOGP
- Randy de Puniet to LCR. Remember RdP and LCR have worked together (quite successfully) in 2003, 2004 in the 250 class.
- Andrea Dovizioso looks like going to a 'new' Honda team, Kopron Team Scot (his 250 team) as they merge with JiR.
- There may be good news for you all, there may well be three works Kawasaki's next year, two Monster Energy sponsored bikes for John Hopkins and Ant West and a Konica Minolta sponsored bike for Shinya Nakano.
- D'Antin Ducati are close to signing Hiroshi Aoyama according to the Spanish press.

250cc
- Firstly, KTM are probably going to disband their factory team with the factory bikes going to Alberto Puig. Repsol Team Puig KTM will likely run three bikes, one for Julian Simon, the other two are open. It's rumoured KTM have offered Alvaro Bautista 2 Million Euros to lead the team.
- Honda will have no works bikes in the 125 or 250 class in 2008. They are waiting for the switch to four-strokes which may happen as soon as 2009 or 2010.
- Aprilia have offered Alvaro Bautista the number 1 factory position if he stays.
- Fortuna Aprilia may expand back to two bikes. Alex Debon is confirmed, the second ride is open with Aleix Espargaro and Hector Barbera being linked by the Spanish press.

125cc
- Lukas Pesek and Derbi are also looking to step up in 2008. The Derbi will be a re-badged Aprilia (much like the 125)
- Gabor Talmacsi has an offer to remain at the Aspar 125 team (his last year eligible) but also has an offer to step up to the 250's with the Caffe Latte Elit Aprilia team.
- Aspar Aprilia have resigned Sergio Gadea and are also likely to sign Pere Tatusaus. Bradley Smith has been linked with a move here but that seems dead.
- Stefan Bradl has been guaranteed a factory Aprilia for '08. It will probably be run by the Kiefer Racing team (remember them?)
- As in the 250 class, there looks to be no 'factory' KTM team. Instead they plan on supplying six factory bikes to be run by independant teams.
- One of those teams will be the Repsol Puig team. They look like keeping both Bradley Smith and Esteve Rabat.
- Two more factory KTM's look set for the Spanish BQR team (currently Blusens Aprilia).

cheers mx...... some cracking rumors there..... god i hope the kawasaki situation comes through, that would be awesome :eek:

neninja
25th August 2007, 11:54
I too really hope the Kawasaki rumour happens.

It would be great to see 3 Kwaks out there and with the extra feedback their development would come on even stronger.

Corny
25th August 2007, 13:40
de Puniet's choice is bad? Oh no; when he'll be on Michelins (which I think will happen because he's french) he can make some advantage at some GP's.. everybody will want bridgestone now and what if Michelin will be the better one next year?
same with honda btw, everybody walks away from honda now but I expect honda to come back with a bike as fast as a rocket..

ChrisS
25th August 2007, 19:44
I dont think de Puniet's choice was bad, he got a 2 year deal, its better than 50% chance at a Kawasaki deal (if Nakano is available then I think the Kawasaki seat is his no matter what.)

He is back on his 250cc team so he knows the environment and the team doesn't even have to order new decal numbers (#7 used to be his number at 250cc) :p

BTW people are talking about Monster Energy sponsoring Kawasaki as if its a done deal and I never saw a reliable source for that. Monster sponsors Hopper, Monster sponsors Kawasaki in AMA, but MotoGP sponsorship is a different story it seems to me that people added two and two and came up with five. ;)

( Now that I posted this, an official announcement that Monster Energy will be the title sponsor of Kawasaki MotoGP will probably come out tomorrow) :D

tha_jackal
26th August 2007, 03:55
MOTOGP

250cc

125cc

Cheers for the updates Matt! I, like most others on the forum, really hope that Kawasaki rumour turns out to be true, Hopper and Westy would be a great duo, both sponsored by Spy optic, why not Monster too! :laugh: and with Shinya's experience with Kwaka, it would be one helluva lineup, mouth watering even..

However ive heard Konica Minolta's money is heading over to the LCR team in the form of title sponsorship (bit of a poach job) .. Id also like to see Hiroshi get a chance in the big league.. Plus Dorna want another Japanese rider coming in, with the almost certain demise of Tamada..

Shame about Honda's continued lack of interest in the lower cylinder classes.. Id enjoy seeing Espagaro get a factory ride aswell as Alex Baldolini.. He's put in some good races as a privateer and really deserves a shot on a factory bike with a factory team..

If Bradl gets a factory bike then expect him to be at the pointy end, he definately has some talent and Kiefer know how to spin a wrench (did a great job with Ant on heavily substandard machinery) ..

Just a final question Matt, are there any rumours concerning Kev Coghlan? I rate him fairly highly and i thought he was supposed to be in the 250cc class this year with the rumoured 'Winona WCM' team.. They couldnt get enough money together; but does Kev have a shot at a ride anywhere else for 2008?

Cheers! Keep up the great work..

NinjaMaster
27th August 2007, 09:53
Does anyone know what the go is regarding the tiddler classes going four-stroke? The last I heard, the 250's would become a 600 class, possibly with souped-up production engines in prototype frames. Too close to supersport for mine but how can they keep costs down unless it's structured similarly, especially with the ever increasing costs of MotoGP.

I reckon the KTM rumours sound very positive, adding more competitive machinery to what pretty much amounts to the Aprilia Cup(s) and having their costs subsidised by other teams.

Just on KTM, their new superbike has been spied in pre-production guise on Austrian roads. Hopefully this leads to a 08 release followed by a 09 WSB racing campaign. :up:
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images/KTM/Newrc8_1_r.jpg

And finally, I'll throw my support behind that Kwak rumour. It would be fantastic to have another bike on the grid (especially a Kawasaki), plus it keeps Ant at team green. Woo!

ChrisS
27th August 2007, 11:32
Does anyone know what the go is regarding the tiddler classes going four-stroke? The last I heard, the 250's would become a 600 class, possibly with souped-up production engines in prototype frames. Too close to supersport for mine but how can they keep costs down unless it's structured similarly, especially with the ever increasing costs of MotoGP.

I reckon the KTM rumours sound very positive, adding more competitive machinery to what pretty much amounts to the Aprilia Cup(s) and having their costs subsidised by other teams.

Just on KTM, their new superbike has been spied in pre-production guise on Austrian roads. Hopefully this leads to a 08 release followed by a 09 WSB racing campaign. :up:

I thought it was 250cc & 400cc 4strokes to replace the 125 and 250, are they allowed to use production based engines in GP? I'm sure FGSport and WSS would everything they can not to allow such a thing.

also wouldn't 600cc bikes be way too powerful? 250cc bikes make about 120hp, 600cc road bikes make about 120hp, souped-up engines will make way more.

about KTM and superbike racing, their AMA team manager said he hopes the RC8 will be out in 6-8 months and ruled out superbike racing before 2010

NinjaMaster
27th August 2007, 12:48
They could use production based engines in GP when they change the guidelines for the smaller classes to allow for it. The problem with 600's is that they're too close to the 800cc's of MotoGP I reckon. Not to mention far too close to supersport.

As for KTM not racing before 2010, that might be in a full-time capacity but I've no doubt they'll test the waters with some wildcard rides, either at world level or more likely at a national level. Either way, they will be a well addition to what is currently a pretty thin grid.

The Phantom
27th August 2007, 17:50
I thought it was 250cc & 400cc 4strokes to replace the 125 and 250, are they allowed to use production based engines in GP? I'm sure FGSport and WSS would everything they can not to allow such a thing.

That's the logical equivalent - a similar 2/4 stroke ratio has worked very well in Motocross. But lately I've read of a proposed 600cc formula too... really, who knows what Dorna will do. Honda are out for now, and they were influential in getting the 800cc rule through, so maybe we should look to what Honda wants to do in the smaller classes...

As for KTM not racing before 2010, that might be in a full-time capacity but I've no doubt they'll test the waters with some wildcard rides, either at world level or more likely at a national level. Either way, they will be a well addition to what is currently a pretty thin grid.

Do you really think WSB is a bit light-on for manufacturers? I see Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha all fighting for wins and podiums, and Kawasaki by all accounts are planning to ramp up their efforts. And we have MV Agusta on the way... or are you referring to overall numbers? in which case I agree that a few more would be quite welcome.

Roby44
28th August 2007, 08:58
So piss off Shinya! :D

@ Jackal ............. And Shinya speaks so highly of you :D

axxexs
28th August 2007, 14:58
If Bradl gets a factory bike then expect him to be at the pointy end, he definately has some talent and Kiefer know how to spin a wrench (did a great job with Ant on heavily substandard machinery) ..

Keifer is working a lot at this moment to get the 125GP team working for next year. They will get the RSA125 aprilia. Dirk Heidolf is looking to go to WSS with Yamaha Germany next year.

axxexs
28th August 2007, 15:41
Honda will have no works bikes in the 125 or 250 class in 2008. ..

Honda is not having a "works" bike in 125GP/250GP since 2003, I think. The only "works/fabric" team there is in 125GP and 250GP is KTM. There was a oral agreement, before KTM come to GP, that there will be no factory bikes in the lower classes. This classes was meant for independent team. It was to big different before when there was fabric teams and privateers team. It was also to keep the cost down for the team. The bike Honda use now are evolution of the production race bikes RS125R and RS250R. There is no more NSR's. What they call "fabric" now is only that some riders do have development contract to get the newer part earlier and to test them. This kit, A-kit/HRC special kit, was for the privateers before.

fireblade1000
28th August 2007, 22:44
Do you really think WSB is a bit light-on for manufacturers? I see Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha all fighting for wins and podiums, and Kawasaki by all accounts are planning to ramp up their efforts. And we have MV Agusta on the way... or are you referring to overall numbers? in which case I agree that a few more would be quite welcome.

Possibility of Aprilia and BMW in wsbk too in a couple of years time.
That would give a potential total of 9 manufactures racing, not many other series have that sort of diversity in machinery.

patnicholls
30th August 2007, 23:54
Honda is not having a "works" bike in 125GP/250GP since 2003, I think. The only "works/fabric" team there is in 125GP and 250GP is KTM. There was a oral agreement, before KTM come to GP, that there will be no factory bikes in the lower classes. This classes was meant for independent team. It was to big different before when there was fabric teams and privateers team. It was also to keep the cost down for the team. The bike Honda use now are evolution of the production race bikes RS125R and RS250R. There is no more NSR's. What they call "fabric" now is only that some riders do have development contract to get the newer part earlier and to test them. This kit, A-kit/HRC special kit, was for the privateers before.

Hey, good to see you back on the forum axxexs, it's been a while :)

re: KTM, they are nominally a 'works' team but that's not strictly true. When they first came in I wasn't a fan because of the idea of a factory squad coming in and messing things up by dominating, so was against them for some time. But after I while it came to me that it's not The Might Of Massive Manufacturer KTM, it's really just Harold Bartol and his small crew designing a bike (like he did for Derbi in recent years, and others in the past) and it being marketed under the KTM name. Apparently the facility for designing the GP bikes is more like a small shed than a massive megastructure. So I feel happier about them being here now :D . And there being a few more KTMs with other teams will be interesting, too.

-----------------------------------

crash.net has some speculation about Jonny Rea's future, with apparently possiblities at Xerox Ducati in WSB or Ten Kate in WSS. Seems a bit far-fetched to me at first glance, but...with JT over to MotoGP, there currently aren't any Brits confirmed for WSB next year, and FGSport will want some in there with three British rounds of the championship. Stranger things have happened.

patnicholls
2nd September 2007, 00:22
I'll tell you what, considering it's only just September, an incredible amount of the MotoGP grid for next year is already sorted...

Dr. Gellar
3rd September 2007, 18:55
Possibility of Aprilia and BMW in wsbk too in a couple of years time.
That would give a potential total of 9 manufactures racing, not many other series have that sort of diversity in machinery.

This relates to a comment I made in the Misano GP thread. As fireblade1000 and others have mentioned, in the next couple of years (if all the rumors prove true) WSBK will have no shortage of manufacturer participation. From what I've heard, we could have:

Ducati
Honda
Yamaha
Suzuki
Kawasaki
MV Agusta
Aprilia
KTM
BMW

That is a VERY IMPRESSIVE list! It's the kind of manufacturer diversity that MotoGP, as the pinnacle of motorcycle road-racing, badly needs...but unfortunately is not getting.

ChrisS
3rd September 2007, 22:44
Some SBK news

Regis Laconi will ride the PSG-1 Kawasaki for the third year running. The French rider has been re-signed for 2008

Negotiations are still in progress with Fonsi Nieto. An announcement is expected at Lausitz on September 9th.

patnicholls
4th September 2007, 00:08
Speculation from this weekend (British Eurosport) has Shinya on a third Konica-backed Kawasaki, Dovi on the JiR bike with Kopron/Scot sponsorship, Alex de Angelis on the second Gresini bike alongside Toni, and D'Antin Ducati open to speculation.

---------------------------

MCN online today reports that Neil Hodgson has signed for Honda America for AMA for 2008 with official confirmation to follow shortly.

The Phantom
4th September 2007, 01:05
I'll tell you what, considering it's only just September, an incredible amount of the MotoGP grid for next year is already sorted...

I thought that too. The downside of it is that instead of battles for minor placings, we'll just see skirmishes - no need to impress potential teams now...

ChrisS
4th September 2007, 11:43
Jonathan Rea signed for Ten Kate Honda for 3 years, 2008 is WSS and then SBK

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/september/sep3-9/sept0407ReaquitsUKforTenKateHonda/

an add decision IMHO. he has been riding a full factory HRC Fireblade on GP spec Michelin tyres for 2 years now, he doesnt need time to adjust to a Ten Kate Honda on control tyres.

The reason is probably to help him learn the circuits but with 3 British rounds and a new for everyone US round he is on equal terms with all others in 1/3 of the championship, plus he learned Suzuka pretty well in no time at all

Mach24
4th September 2007, 12:43

an add decision IMHO. he has been riding a full factory HRC Fireblade on GP spec Michelin tyres for 2 years

I think it is a smart move by the young fella. I think he could have won a few races in WSB but he is a championship contender in WSS. As he says he is only 19 years of age!

Apparently he also let out of the bag that Kiyo is joining Ten Kate in the WSB team next year.

Mach24
4th September 2007, 12:46
Fabian Foret has been confirmed at Yamaha World Supersport Team alongside Broc Parkes for 08'.

It seems this move has drawn a close to the career of Kevin Curtain.

Mach24
4th September 2007, 12:59
Neil has penned a deal to race for American Honda in the AMA Superbike championship over 2 years.

Maybe he can be first home after the leading Yoshi Suzuki's......

patnicholls
4th September 2007, 13:29
Fabian Foret has been confirmed at Yamaha World Supersport Team alongside Broc Parkes for 08'.

It seems this move has drawn a close to the career of Kevin Curtain.

From reading something elsewhere (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug20-27/aug2207hillonthelistforyamahainworldsupersport/) a couple of weeks ago about that seat, it seems Curtain was done anyway from what they said. He is 41/42 years of age, after all!

jonny hurlock
4th September 2007, 15:29
Some SBK news

Regis Laconi will ride the PSG-1 Kawasaki for the third year running. The French rider has been re-signed for 2008

why on earth is Laconi sign him for PSG-1, IMO I think his the most over-rated driver in WSBK, what I seen this season he hasn't been a great sence

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/september/sep3-9/sept0407ReaquitsUKforTenKateHonda/

an add decision IMHO. he has been riding a full factory HRC Fireblade on GP spec Michelin tyres for 2 years now, he doesnt need time to adjust to a Ten Kate Honda on control tyres.

The reason is probably to help him learn the circuits but with 3 British rounds and a new for everyone US round he is on equal terms with all others in 1/3 of the championship, plus he learned Suzuka pretty well in no time at all

Why on earth is he in world supersport next year, agree with chris, he knows three rounds, US round is unkown to everyone, he only really needs to know tracks like assen, phillip island, monza so forth. if they want to bring in kyio and rea into wsbk why not put kyio into a works ten kate bike, put johnny rea into semi works ten kate with red bull money into it, like they did a few seasons ago. btw does any one know next seasons calander will be?

NinjaMaster
6th September 2007, 11:47
why on earth is Laconi sign him for PSG-1, IMO I think his the most over-rated driver in WSBK, what I seen this season he hasn't been a great sence

Apparently the Kwak is a pig of a bike to ride so that makes things a little more difficult for him. Also, he has brained Fonsi this year although I heard that he and Roger-Lee Hayden rode the 08 ZX10R and Hayden was much faster. Perhaps it is time for an American to enter the series again?

jonny hurlock
6th September 2007, 13:29
some rumours?

Fonsi Nieto to Alstare Suzuki alone with Max Biaggi & Yukio Kagayama

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~5~id~154049.htm

Carlos Checa could take Toseland place for Ten Kate next year, reject a test ride with Ducati and even reject a ride with Works Ducati team in WSBK.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~154048.htm

D'Artin has offered Toni Elias for a ride for next season

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~154047.htm

jonny hurlock
6th September 2007, 13:35
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/september/sep3-9/sep0507worldsuperbikesdecisiontimeloomsformaxbiagg i/

found this on Max Biaggi could be staying with Alstare next season, may change to Xerox to team with Troy Bayliss, OR could be joing D'Artin in Motogp next season! what! what! what!

The Phantom
7th September 2007, 02:06
Johhny - its MCN, mate...

tha_jackal
7th September 2007, 02:09
There is no way in hell Biaggi will be in MotoGP next year.. D'antin (not D'artin :s ) will have Guintoli and either DeAngelis/Elias/Barros/Aoyama/Davies(darkest of dark horses) riding for them in 2008..

mx311
7th September 2007, 11:07
Fonsi Nieto to Alstare Suzuki alone with Max Biaggi & Yukio Kagayama
It wouldn't be the Alstare team proper, rather the bike Max Neukirchner is currently on. From what I've heard if Suzuki Spain back to program then Fonsi's a goer. If Suzuki Spain don't back it, Suzuki Germany will and Max should stay. (That is if Fonsi wants to leave Kawasaki)

Also, I've heard that Michele Fabrizio is a done deal at Xerox Ducati to partner Troy Bayliss next season. It's supposedly going to be announced at Lautsitz.

Carlos Checa is probably in at Ten Kate. Honda like him and were very happy with his ride in the Suzuka 8-Hour so Ten Kate is the most likely I'd imagine.

Also, Caracchi has announced they will part with Ducati in 2008 (after something like 25 years) and will run two or three Triumph's in World Supersport.

In GP's I've heard Mika Kallio has resigned with KTM. This follows a punchup he and some friends and mechanics had after a night out in Misano. Not sure who they were fighting but I heard Mika won. ;)

ChrisS
7th September 2007, 12:16
I read about Caracchi and Triumph too, a new manufacturer and a new engine configuration (triple) is always a good thing if they are competitive.

http://www.specialmag.it/html/news11501.shtml (in italian)

the 675 isnt world supersport homologated for 2007, but I guess they homologated it for 2008

Roby44
7th September 2007, 12:28
In GP's I've heard Mika Kallio has resigned with KTM. This follows a punchup he and some friends and mechanics had after a night out in Misano. Not sure who they were fighting but I heard Mika won. ;)

Must have been some night out!!

jonny hurlock
7th September 2007, 13:28
There is no way in hell Biaggi will be in MotoGP next year.. D'antin (not D'artin :s ) will have Guintoli and either DeAngelis/Elias/Barros/Aoyama/Davies(darkest of dark horses) riding for them in 2008..

1. I might get a spelling miskates sometimes wrong.

2. Don't count out on Chaz getting the drive at D'Antin, think they are going to try him out on a Ducati. casey stoner going to keep an eye on it too

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~154084.htm

see him lately on a few races, because the beeb got 250,125 coverage now on BBCi, seen some 250cc with mika, he has been impressive desite that crash at misano. he earned the drive for next season.

jonny hurlock
7th September 2007, 20:46
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~5~id~154119.htm

hodson staying put in AMA superbikes for another two years with honda

ChrisS
7th September 2007, 20:55
Mach24 posted about Hodgson a few days ago, the odd thing about American Honda's lineup (and something Crash.net didn't bother to include) is they kept DuHamel. he is 200+ years old and recovering from serious injury, couldnt they find a better rider?

ChrisS
7th September 2007, 21:01
I remembered Poggiali and did a search do see what he was up to

his website has an article titled "Poggiali e Pasini in 250 nel 2007" and dated 04/09/2007 Link (http://www.poggiali.com/default.asp?id=1885&id_n=2284)

using my very little italian and a translator it seems to say that Poggiali and Pasini will ride for Polaris World Aprilia next year in 250cc.

anyone has any idea about this?

Mach24
7th September 2007, 23:37
Mach24 posted about Hodgson a few days ago, the odd thing about American Honda's lineup (and something Crash.net didn't bother to include) is they kept DuHamel. he is 200+ years old and recovering from serious injury, couldnt they find a better rider?

Yeah I agree. I assumed they were going to keep Zemke whilst DuHamel went to an ambassadorial role.

Its hard to take American Honda serious with this decision.

AMA need an injection of talent to boost the championship which for too long now has been a Suzuki benefit.

Roby44
8th September 2007, 02:26
I remembered Poggiali and did a search do see what he was up to

his website has an article titled "Poggiali e Pasini in 250 nel 2007" and dated 04/09/2007 Link (http://www.poggiali.com/default.asp?id=1885&id_n=2284)

using my very little italian and a translator it seems to say that Poggiali and Pasini will ride for Polaris World Aprilia next year in 250cc.

anyone has any idea about this?

On an Italian forum I visit there has been renewed interest in the Poggi thread, all in Italian I might add. So maybe...I'll try to get a translation..

Roby44
8th September 2007, 02:35
This was a post in August 2007

Manuel riparte dalla 250. L’annuncio a Misano Una Honda per il http://controcampo.mediaset.it/bin/12.$plit/C_17_articolo_3_listaparagrafi_paragrafo_0_immagin e.jpgdi Alen Bollini

Manuel Poggiali sta preparando il suo ritorno. Lo aveva promesso al termine di una stagione, quella passata, piuttosto deludente: "credo sia giunto il momento di prendermi un anno di riflessione. Tornerò nel 2008 con team e moto vincenti", così aveva detto. La nuova squadra di Poggiali potrebbe essere svelata al Gp di San Marino, il prossimo 2 settembre. Le trattative sono state avviate già da qualche mese, a confermarlo è lo stesso Manuel che non ha mai nascosto la volontà di tornare a correre. A patto, però, di farlo con una moto competitiva. Una Honda, molto probabilmente. Ripartirà da dove aveva interrotto la sua carriera. Dalla classe 250. Lì cerca la sua rivincita, lì vuole tornare ad essere Manuel Poggiali, il due volte campione del mondo. Iridato in 125 nel 2001: dopo 57 anni riportò il titolo in casa Gilera, vincendo tre Gran Premi (Francia, Portogallo e Valencia), centrando 11 podi. Il secondo titolo arrivò nel 2003, all'esordio in 250 con l'Aprilia. Seguono tre anni inconcludenti, quasi inspiegabili. Nel 2004 è costretto a fare un passo indietro: tornare alla Gilera in 125, unica casa disposta ad aiutarlo. L'anno successivo ci riprova in 250, con la KTM: niente di buono. Decide di prendersi un anno sabbatico. Cambia le sue abitudini, cambia vita. Ora possiede un ristornate e fa il personal trainer in una palestra sammarinese. Chi lo conosce giura che Manuel è diventato un'altra persona. Non solo fisicamente, lavorare in palestra l'ha fortificato, ma soprattutto l'ha ricostruito mentalmente. Più espansivo, più tranquillo. Insomma, Manuel Poggiali è pronto per tornare. Per tornare a vincere.

Manuel Poggiali is getting ready its return. It had promised it at the conclusion of a season, that glance, rather disappointing: "I believe it is arrived the time to take myself a year of reflection. I will return in 2008 with team and movement winning", so had said. The new squad of Poggiali could be revealed to the Gp of Marine San, the next one 2 September. The negotiations were started already from some month, to confirm the is the same Manuel that never hid the will of to return to run. To agreement, however, of to do it with a competitive movement. A Honda, most likely. It will distribute from where it had interrupted its career. From the class 250. There its search won back, there wants hairpin curve to be Manuel Poggiali, two times champion of the world. Rainbow-colored in 125 in 2001: after 57 years restored the title in house Gilera, winning three Big Prizes (France, Portugal and Valencia), hit the center of 11 podiums. The second title arrived in 2003, to the debut in 250 with the aprilia. They follow three inconclusive years, almost inexplicable. In 2004 it is compelled to do a step back: the Gilera in 125 to return, sole house arranged to help it. The successive year us confirmation in 250, with the KTM: nothing of voucher. It decides to take itself a sabbatical year. It changes his habits, changes life. Now possiede a ristornate and does the personal trainer in a gymnasium sammarinese. Who it knows it swears it that Manuel became another person. Not only physically, to work in gymnasium it fortified it, but above all rebuilded it mentally. More communicative, calmer. Well, Manuel Poggiali is ready to return. To return to win.

Mach24
8th September 2007, 09:38
Some SBK news

Negotiations are still in progress with Fonsi Nieto. An announcement is expected at Lausitz on September 9th.

If the Fonz moves on to Suzuki as suggested who is in line for the PSG1 ride?

Not a lot of names spring to mind, however this seat has some potential with Kawasaki factory involvement in 08'.

I am sure the big K would like to see another front running Japanese rider in WSB...... By the way what is Tamada doing?

jonny hurlock
9th September 2007, 20:19
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~5~id~154215.htm

Kenan Sofuoglu will be driving for Ten Kate next season, Ten Kate is reward for winning the World Supersport this year. he earned it alright

tha_jackal
10th September 2007, 13:59
Few little things ive heard:-

Elias to join D'Antin alongside Guintoli.
Nakano in negotiations with Gresini, could lineup alongside DeAngelis.

osg
10th September 2007, 20:56
Few little things ive heard:-

Elias to join D'Antin alongside Guintoli.
Nakano in negotiations with Gresini, could lineup alongside DeAngelis.

jackal....... you think Davies is in with a shot at the 2nd D'Antin seat???? I've got a funny feeling he's got the inside running for some reason.....

ChrisS
10th September 2007, 20:56
Fabrizio will replace Lanzi at Xerox Ducati, he signed an one year deal.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~5~id~154264.htm

jonny hurlock
10th September 2007, 21:06
Fabrizio will replace Lanzi at Xerox Ducati, he signed an one year deal.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~5~id~154264.htm

just going to say that,

looks like the top drives in WorldSBK are looking clear

tha_jackal
11th September 2007, 00:55
jackal....... you think Davies is in with a shot at the 2nd D'Antin seat???? I've got a funny feeling he's got the inside running for some reason.....

I've said it before somewhere, but he's the darkest of dark horses.. Chaz himself has even said that his upcoming test is more likely to get him a ride for 2009 than next year.. Time will tell, stranger things have happened..

However, I think D'Antin will employ a Spanish or Italian rider to go with Guintoli, for sponsorship reasons..

veeten
12th September 2007, 18:34
personally, I think the next 3 years could be interesting.

The Ducati 1098 will prove the size increase for WBK to 1200cc valuable. But in '09, the Buell 1125R may prove to be of great interest to many looking for an alternative.

ChrisS
12th September 2007, 19:30
and riding a Buell will also have the advantage of going home early after each race since the bike will probably break down after a few laps :p

patnicholls
13th September 2007, 00:55
There's still a lot of Ten Kate seats to decide, Jonny Rea and Kenan are the only ones confirmed so far.

I'm still sitting in abject horror at the rumour that Carlos Checa will be getting one of the WSB seats. Although I'm a total hypocrite as I rate Alex Barros but not Checa, even though their career results have been about the same :p

tha_jackal
13th September 2007, 01:34
Ill take a stab at what i think the Ten Kate lineup will look like:

WSBK: Rolfo - Checa
WSBK(Satellite): Sofuoglu - Kiyonari
WSS: Rea - Pitt

mx311
13th September 2007, 07:00
Ill take a stab at what i think the Ten Kate lineup will look like:

WSBK: Rolfo - Checa
WSBK(Satellite): Sofuoglu - Kiyonari
WSS: Rea - Pitt
Well, I thought the Ten Kate rides are pretty much sorted unless money (or egos) become a problem?

Hannspree WSBK - Rolfo & Sofuolgu
HRC WSBK - Kiyonari & Checa or Barros or Nakano (HRC's choice)
Hannspree WSS - Rea & Charpentier or Muggeridge

Remember, Charpentier has been injured all year and I think it's a bit harsh if he's given the flick after one injury plagued year, he is still a two time WSS champ. Muggas is also well loved by Ten Kate and would be an instant title contender if he drops back down. I've heard Pitty is close to (or has) signed with someone else (I've heard Virgin Yamaha in BSB).

As for the PSG-1 ride, well Alex Barros, Alex Hofmann and Shinya Nakano have been mentioned if Fonsi leaves. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

MotoGP meanwhile, it seems that Jorge Martinez Aspar has turned down the chance to enter MotoGP with Yamaha and Dunlop. It seems that Yamaha offered Aspar a fifth M-1 for the 2008 season to be run on Dunlops (with Tech3 going to whatever tyre brand the factory team is on) but Aspar said 'thanks but no thanks'. Jorge bascially said that he wants at least a three year deal with a manufacturer and enough time to set the team up properly, something that wasn't there with the Yamaha deal.

neninja
13th September 2007, 15:10
Apparently Pitt is Ten Kate's favourite to partner Kiyo but HRC want Checa. Hopefully having given Kiyo a ride (almost certainly at HRC's request), Ten Kate will insist on hiring Pitt. Checa would be a backward step as would Barros.

Pitt knows the circuits and was looking good until he got shafted by Yamaha.

It appears that Rolfo will leave Ten Kate to ride an Altea Honda with Hannspree sponsorship

jonny hurlock
13th September 2007, 22:40
http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news

the works yamaha team will be on michelin tyres next season, some good news for michelin

The Phantom
14th September 2007, 03:48
Remember, Charpentier has been injured all year and I think it's a bit harsh if he's given the flick after one injury plagued year, he is still a two time WSS champ.

Agree that he's one of the top men in WSS, but he's been there an awfully long time now... as always, the balance must be found between experience and new blood.

Any word on Curtain? It's fairly obvious he won't be back, but there's a lot of fans who'd just like to know that he's ok...

jonny hurlock
14th September 2007, 15:39
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~154421.htm

Dunlop are trying to bring tyre deals to LCR, Team KR, and the Konica Minolta team, for next season

osg
14th September 2007, 21:14
I see Lorenzo has been 100% confirmed as Valentino's team mate for next year......... errrghhhhhhh.

NinjaMaster
15th September 2007, 07:08
I see Lorenzo has been 100% confirmed as Valentino's team mate for next year......... errrghhhhhhh.
Yeehaa!!!

Hopefully Dunlop can find a couple of teams to team up with and remain in MotoGP. They are much improved this year and I hope they can continue that progression next year.

Mach24
16th September 2007, 03:38
Word has it there will be an announcement on Monday confirming Alex de Angelis at Gresini in 2008.

Alex de Angelis has 125 race starts for 1 win!

Perhaps Fausto see's something I don't? However I think it is a good thing Gresini has not picked up one of the 'old guys' of GP.