PDA

View Full Version : V8 and NASCAR

steve_spackman
14th January 2009, 20:01
am i wrong in thinking that NASCAR and the Australian V8s are linked in certain ways...

they seem very similar apart from the oval and road tracks

bt52b
14th January 2009, 21:51
Very different cars, rules and engines.

V8Supercar uses heavily modified road cars, on road and street tracks in all weathers. Races are usually realatively short distances.

NASCAR use a spec car, the so called Car of Tomorrow, a heavy tublar steel chassis, run on mainly ovals and the odd road course, in dry weather (cars have no wipers!). Race distances are long, sometimes seem to go on forever...

Engines are V8, but V8 Supercars used injection, whereas NASCAR still use carb's.

You can download the complete V8Supercar Rule Book in the Tech are of their site. The NASCAR rulebook is stored in Area51 ;) , so good luck at having a look at it.

AndySpeed
14th January 2009, 23:11
They couldn't possibly be linked: V8 supercars is entertaining, Nascar isn't!

Rollo
15th January 2009, 02:40
V8 Supercars run fuel-injected 5.0L V8s, and the chassis are somewhat developed from the standard road cars.
NASCARS run 5.9L V8s, carburetored, and the chassis are spec chassis bearing no relation to the road cars at all, save for stickerage on the front.

Oh, the longest V8 Supercar race is longer than the longest NASCAR race by about 80 miles.

steve_spackman
15th January 2009, 16:53
They couldn't possibly be linked: V8 supercars is entertaining, Nascar isn't!

i would agree

Micholly
15th January 2009, 19:40
I'm only a casual motorsport fan, although i hope to get more involved this year. I try to be fair, give everything a chance, from stock cars to karting (as a spectator).

But i don;t get the appeal of Nascar. Is there something i'm not understanding? Some great racecraft that i don't see? Even the few circuits the travel to lead to fairly boring races in comparison with other series.

RJL25
16th January 2009, 15:09
surely just having a close look at a picture of a V8 Supercar and a NASCAR would tell you they are completely different? A V8 Supercar is closer in concept to a BTCC car then a NASCAR

kmchow
17th January 2009, 07:33
In the past, I mentioned that Nascar's COT is slowly bridging the gap btwn V8 supercars and the old Nascar. Perhaps in several more years, we can run the same cars? That would be one way to reduce costs!

RJL25
17th January 2009, 12:30
how? The COT is still nothing like a V8 Supercar, other then the V8 engine and rear wheel drive configuration, the two have absolutely nothing in common

Rollo
18th January 2009, 22:11
NASCARS are virtually spec cars. The only differences between the shells of the cars are the stickers on the front. When TRD first looked for a 360 cube V8 for their NASCAR, they didn't have one, so they reverse engineered a Ford engine to build their own.

Up until VE Commodore and FG Falcon, the V8 Supercars were constructed using a shell that came off the production line. The problem was that the rules had set down dimensions which were written for VP and EB, but the chassis for VE and FG exceed those dimensions, so the race cars have had to be purpose built.
The race going VE Commodores and FG Falcons, are actually smaller than their road going counterparts.

Stu_H
18th January 2009, 23:59
Only link I could possibly think of would be Marcos Ambrose who is doing a good job in Nascar....and in the past Dick Johnson had a dabble Stateside.

Aside from that the tenuous links end!