PDA

View Full Version : British Accents

Eki
12th January 2009, 09:01
I just read about a research that revealed that British employers judge their applicants by their accent. Those who speak with a Scottish accent are considered the most reliable and hard working. Also a London accent is an advantage. At the bottom were Liverpool and Birmingham accents. Less than 10% of the employers considered someone with a Liverpool accent honest and hard working.

Why is that?

gadjo_dilo
12th January 2009, 09:49
I just read about a research that revealed that British employers judge their applicants by their accent. Those who speak with a Scottish accent are considered the most reliable and hard working. Also a London accent is an advantage. At the bottom were Liverpool and Birmingham accents. Less than 10% of the employers considered someone with a Liverpool accent honest and hard working.

Why is that?

That's confusig, I think I've read somewhere that a famous movie that was spoken with a scottish accent had to be dubbed.

Valve Bounce
12th January 2009, 10:37
That's confusig, I think I've read somewhere that a famous movie that was spoken with a scottish accent had to be dubbed.

................more like had to be translated into English!! :D

Azumanga Davo
12th January 2009, 10:52
................more like had to be translated into English!! :D

OK, I'll speak slower to you then... :D

Mark
12th January 2009, 11:00
It's mostly to do with class perceptions really, such things do still exist unfortunately.

Those from previously deprived areas, such as Liverpool are seen as being less trustworthy for example.

Thankfully things are changing and far from putting people off accents are now being celebrated in popular media.

Who could have imagined a few years ago someone with a broad Geordie accent doing voiceovers for programmes.

AndyRAC
12th January 2009, 11:34
It's mostly to do with class perceptions really, such things do still exist unfortunately.

Those from previously deprived areas, such as Liverpool are seen as being less trustworthy for example.

Thankfully things are changing and far from putting people off accents are now being celebrated in popular media.

Who could have imagined a few years ago someone with a broad Geordie accent doing voiceovers for programmes.

It may be a generalisation, but people from Liverpool don't help themselves - trying to be the 'scally' or 'Professional Scouser' by putting on an really strong accent. It is possible to have an accent and speak properly - I have a mild accent but try to speak correctly. What grates is when you're in another part of the country and hear a scouser speaking - oh dear, no.
I do like the Geordie, West Country accents, but the Birmingham no. Sorry.

Mark
12th January 2009, 11:54
It may be a generalisation, but people from Liverpool don't help themselves - trying to be the 'scally' or 'Professional Scouser' by putting on an really strong accent. It is possible to have an accent and speak properly

My Dad was from Manchester and my Mum is quite well spoken so I don't really have a strong Geordie accent myself, others may disagree, but compared with a lot of people I know it's very mild :p . But when talking to someone who does have a strong geordie accent I do find myself responding in kind!

christophulus
12th January 2009, 14:29
It's just another stereotype that people like to believe. I suppose people like Harry Enfield haven't exactly helped the matter :)

I have to admit, when I first moved to Liverpool I felt that the locals (for want of a better word) seemed very rude, but that was as a result of the negative stereotypes I'd heard. Unfortunately I have encountered some people who are pretty untrustworthy, but on the whole after three years here my mind has changed somewhat.

On a side note, a friend of mine from Greece brought some friends over to stay for a while. One off these guys was doing an English masters degree, and was at the standard where he could probably pass as an English "native". They went off into town one evening, and the following morning I had a chat with him. Turned out that he'd been chatted up by a Scouse girl.. and due to the heavy accent he couldn't understand a word she was saying. Perhaps Liverpool isn't the best place to practice your English :p :

Drew
12th January 2009, 15:25
Apparently Brummy accents to foreigners sound actually quite posh!

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2009, 15:50
It is probably easier for an Italian to understand a Frenchman speaking English than it is for them to understand an Englishman.

A story told by my parents when they were in Italy come to mind. Some Cumbrians they were with were picking flowers, one of them said:

'I dunno why shiz bothren. We graow thum at yam'

Translation
I don't know why she is bothering. We grow them at home

Daniel
12th January 2009, 16:16
My Dad was from Manchester and my Mum is quite well spoken so I don't really have a strong Geordie accent myself, others may disagree, but compared with a lot of people I know it's very mild :p . But when talking to someone who does have a strong geordie accent I do find myself responding in kind!

God help me if your accent is mild :p

veeten
12th January 2009, 17:35
and now for something completely aborrant...

American actors/actresses feigning british accents. :p :

AndyRAC
12th January 2009, 19:33

Dick Van Dyke - bless him!!! Good film though....a kids classic.

steve_spackman
12th January 2009, 19:52

gwyneth paltrow

Hazell B
12th January 2009, 19:59
I was surprised how well some Brits have managed American accents, though am NOT counting either Jason Stratham or the guy from Ashes tro Ashes who's now in Demons (or whatever it's called - the new ITV show).

Anyway, I'm about half Last of the Summer Wine and half Manchester myself. Mancs claim I've lost it all to Yorkshire, while Tykes say I'm clearly southern :mark:
Funny really, as I was born in a semi-posh bit of Cheshire and stayed there until I was about six or eight :p :

I'm curious what other Americans think of both New York and Canadian accents?

steve_spackman
12th January 2009, 20:11
I was surprised how well some Brits have managed American accents, though am NOT counting either Jason Stratham or the guy from Ashes tro Ashes who's now in Demons (or whatever it's called - the new ITV show).

Anyway, I'm about half Last of the Summer Wine and half Manchester myself. Mancs claim I've lost it all to Yorkshire, while Tykes say I'm clearly southern :mark:
Funny really, as I was born in a semi-posh bit of Cheshire and stayed there until I was about six or eight :p :

the southern drawl is a accent to get to grips with..sounds like they are drunk or on drugs the way the words are slurred LOL

Daniel
12th January 2009, 20:16

Funny. Australians say I sound a bit British and Brits say I sound Canadian sometimes :crazy:

steve_spackman
12th January 2009, 20:23
Funny. Australians say I sound a bit British and Brits say I sound Canadian sometimes :crazy:

a few times while i have been to the states ive been asked if im german, russian, french or australian, but never english LOL

Easy Drifter
12th January 2009, 20:52
We Canucks don't have an accent, eh.
Everybody else does. :D
You can tell someone is from Toronto. It is Trawnna, eh.
The Quebecois speaking English have interesting inflections to say the least.
Somebody from France has real trouble with Quebec French. Oui is usually pronounced wuh in Eastern Quebec.
The maritimers, especially from Cape Breton have distinct accent.
Then there is the Newfoundland accent. 'Aye bye and how she be die.'

Up here figure this one out. 'Tis time to grab the shack an git er out t'du some ard water fishin.' or 'Almo time t' go an git a gobbler.'
And what kind of fish is sacastically called a 'freshwater shark'?
Everybody in this area knows that one but those from the GTA haven't a clue. It is a Muskie or properly a Muskellunge. Up to 55 lb and all teeth.
A snapper is a Snapping Turtle. A Coydog is a dog Coyote cross.

J4MIE
12th January 2009, 21:05
I don't have much of an accent, but I could listen to anyone with an accent talking all day long :D

Rollo
12th January 2009, 21:49
Also a London accent is an advantage.

Which one? It has been mentioned that there could be up to 12 different accents within the great festering cold sore of London. Do they mean Cockney, Mockney, Estuary, RP etc etc etc or what?

Bill Bryson's book Mother Tongue only briefly touches on the subject but he mentions a survey by John Upton at the University of Leeds who came across something in the order of 120 different classes of accents for the UK that fall into 14 major groups.

No.1 The Larch, The Larch

and now for something completely different,

A man with three buttocks :D

veeten
12th January 2009, 21:56

The ability to talk through the nose is a standard for New York, you can even become famous for it, as this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Drescher) one has...

If you really want to try your luck, go for Louisiana Creole. Outside of pidgeon, never has the english language been so mangled... :crazy: :laugh:

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2009, 22:05
All I know is spend so much time in the US (not today unfornutaely...truck break down of the load I was to get from another driver bringing it to me wont be in til tomorrow) that I am getting a bit of a midwest accent. A southerner thought I was from Wisconsin accent wise. A Guy in PA thought I was a Hoosier. Another out in Colorado was disappointed I didn't say eh?

I guess I toned down the hoser accent some of us do have. Just listen to a hockey player on an NHL broadcast. It isn't hard to pick out a Canadian.

AS for you Brit's...god help ya I love the accents but some of you need translators and it isn't just the Scots.

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2009, 22:09
The ability to talk through the nose is a standard for New York, you can even become famous for it, as this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Drescher) one has...

If you really want to try your luck, go for Louisiana Creole. Outside of pidgeon, never has the english language been so mangled... :crazy: :laugh:

Cajuns are fun to listen to. I can tell you a Newfoundlander would be a close second. They mangle up a lot and speak like bullets out of a Tommy Gun....

steve_spackman
12th January 2009, 22:11
All I know is spend so much time in the US (not today unfornutaely...truck break down of the load I was to get from another driver bringing it to me wont be in til tomorrow) that I am getting a bit of a midwest accent. A southerner thought I was from Wisconsin accent wise. A Guy in PA thought I was a Hoosier. Another out in Colorado was disappointed I didn't say eh?

I guess I toned down the hoser accent some of us do have. Just listen to a hockey player on an NHL broadcast. It isn't hard to pick out a Canadian.

AS for you Brit's...god help ya I love the accents but some of you need translators and it isn't just the Scots.

would you be implying that to the 'chavs' and 'vicky pollards' HA HA

steve_spackman
12th January 2009, 22:12

would you be implying that to the 'chavs' and 'vicky pollards' HA HA

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2009, 02:39
Steve...I have NO idea what all THAT means. Most of my knowledge of English slang was learned from the series "Lovejoy" and the character "Tinker" who often used rhyming slang....

Eki
13th January 2009, 05:38

I thought Archie Bunker spoke with a New York accent, he was form Queens (in the show All in the Family), but he didn't speak through his nose. Maybe it's a woman thing, because Edith Bunker surely did.

leopard
13th January 2009, 06:41
Well, this might not be about accent, I missed the moment where this picture was taken so that can read it fully. Can anyone here speak Italian enlighten me the full phrase and its definition Rossi was wearing to celebrate his 8(?) wins? I can only read the Ritardo.

Mark
13th January 2009, 07:48
Actors putting on an accent to pretend to be from a different country just sounds weird to me. Hugh Laurie from House, just sounds very wrong. Now even Philip Glenister (Gene Hunt off of Life on Mars) is playing an American in Demons, and not a very convincing one at that. And that's a British series, no need!

Dave B
13th January 2009, 09:27
Hugh Larie from House, just sounds very wrong.
We were watching some Blackadder III last night and trying to imagine the Prince Regent in a teaching hospital and Gregory House being baffled by post-Norman tongue. :crazy:

Anyway, for the worst fake American accent what about Eddie Izzard in The Riches? I can only assume he's our revenge for Dick van Dyke.

Drew
13th January 2009, 11:17
Actors putting on an accent to pretend to be from a different country just sounds weird to me. Hugh Larie from House, just sounds very wrong.

Very very true, I can't watch House in English, I just get put off :\

Daniel
13th January 2009, 11:18

Bah! How will you know if it is actually lupus one day?

MrJan
13th January 2009, 12:42

:up: Always watch House waiting for them to suggest lupus :D

Azumanga Davo
13th January 2009, 13:37
Timothy Spall has one of those accents you never forget though. "What a bunch'a'twonks!" :D

Dave B
13th January 2009, 13:49
:up: Always watch House waiting for them to suggest lupus :D
It was, once ;)

Bezza
13th January 2009, 14:50
Can't stand the Scouse accent. It just doesn't seem necessary and having been to Liverpool a number of times, the stereotypes are true - regardless of what some of them may say. Capital of Culture??!

steve_spackman
13th January 2009, 14:52
Steve...I have NO idea what all THAT means. Most of my knowledge of English slang was learned from the series "Lovejoy" and the character "Tinker" who often used rhyming slang....

did you ever watch the bbc show little britian? thats a prime example

AndyRAC
13th January 2009, 14:57
Can't stand the Scouse accent. It just doesn't seem necessary and having been to Liverpool a number of times, the stereotypes are true - regardless of what some of them may say. Capital of Culture??!

Unfortunately you are probably right. Great City - shame about the people.
I live right out on the outskirts of the Merseyside area - and avoid going into the city centre.

Drew
13th January 2009, 16:15

I never watch it full stop :p :

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2009, 16:32

Drew...you only are bothered by it because you know Laurie is a Brit and you have seen him for years in Blackadder and the like. I saw Blackadder years ago and of course focused on Rowan Atkinson's characters more than Hugh's. When House came along...I had forgotten where I had seen him and didn't notice the fact he was a Brit trying to be a Yank. Most Americans and Canadians have no idea of his native accent. I think he carries it off rather well.

You want bad...listen to any Yank trying to put on a Brit accent....the only one who is close to getting it right would be Renee Zellweger in "Bridget Jones Diary" and even then she got slagged.

MrJan
13th January 2009, 23:33
You want bad...listen to any Yank trying to put on a Brit accent....the only one who is close to getting it right would be Renee Zellweger in "Bridget Jones Diary" and even then she got slagged.

That's because most of the world seem to think that we either speak like the Queen or someone from Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels :D :D

Actually on the subject of accents my brother has a weird one now. He lived in Toronto for 18 months and came back speaking all weird (saying 'wirk' instead of 'work' and the like) but after a month or two it mostly disappeared leaving only a few words which he says a bit strangely. Now though he has moved up North and is starting to pick up parts of that accent and dialect which all mixes in a strange way with what I consider his normal voice.

veeten
14th January 2009, 01:38
...the only one who is close to getting it right would be Renee Zellweger in "Bridget Jones Diary" and even then she got slagged.

Mmmmmm... Renee Zelltweger. :D A nice, plump bit o' puddin there. ;) :D

Easy Drifter
14th January 2009, 03:15
When we raced in the Southern US quite a bit I got so I could put on a 'Southern' accent to fool most Cdns. and Northern US residents. If I tried in the South I got weird looks.
What I was using was a mix of Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas with some Tenn. thrown in. Anybody from the South knew it was phoney.
Today I couldn't remember enough or go slow enough to fool anybody!
Here around Georgian Bay and into the Muskokas we use words and phrases that puzzle people from the GTA but there is no real differnece in accents. And after 20 years out of Toronto (aka 'The big Smoke') I still use some Trawana speak.
Of course in the summer when our population almost doubles most summer people are from the GTA and more and more are retiring up here.

leopard
14th January 2009, 03:15
Well, this might not be about accent, I missed the moment where this picture was taken so that can read it fully. Can anyone here speak Italian enlighten me the full phrase and its definition Rossi was wearing to celebrate his 8(?) wins? I can only read the Ritardo.

Having found the full text on Rossi fans website, SCUSATE IL RITARDO, sorry wrong room...

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2009, 04:52
Drifter..nothing wrong with a Sexy Southern Girl with that drawl....yowsa....I had a Louisana Girlfriend once...she could read me the phone book..lol

Easy Drifter
14th January 2009, 05:55
I concur. Then there is Maryland and southeastern Pa. Not Amish country though. Northern speed and southern inflections. That does not work!!!!

allycat228
15th January 2009, 10:41
One of the girls in without a trace is english and i think the other is australian but you cant tell.

If you want hard accents try northern ireland, its not that big a country but the accents differ in major towns

Brown, Jon Brow
15th January 2009, 13:55
I heard my accent the other day on videotape.

I sound like Dale Winton :\

Jag_Warrior
15th January 2009, 15:59

Dominic West did a fanastic job as Baltimore (sort of like a light New York accent, for want of a better comparison) Detective Jimmy McNulty on The Wire. I had absolutely no idea that he was English (from Yorkshire, I found out). As the series was wrapping, each actor had an interview segment. When they got to his, I thought something had happened to the sound on my set when he began speaking. I couldn't believe this guy was a Brit.

In his younger days, Mick Jagger was able to do a very good southern accent (Georgia/Alabama) on Beggar's Banquet. Generally, I think it's more believable when Brits do southern accents, rather than trying New York accents. And even other Americans have a hard time pulling off hardcore Boston accents. If you take someone from Georgia or Alabama and put him in the same room with someone from Boston, they'd die of starvation trying to figure out how to order food. They might as well be speaking Yiddish and Italian.

steve_spackman
15th January 2009, 17:11
Mmmmmm... Renee Zelltweger. :D A nice, plump bit o' puddin there. ;) :D

very much so :D

MrJan
15th January 2009, 18:04
:down: Rene Zellweger is a minger. She's just wrong looking, face is all screwed up.

Daniel
15th January 2009, 18:09
I heard my accent the other day on videotape.

I sound like Dale Winton :\

As long as you don't look like Dale Winton.....

Hazell B
15th January 2009, 20:31
Dominic West did a fanastic job .... on The Wire.

Yes, but then again he's one of our very best voices (along with John Hurt, Sean Pertwee and John Nettles as a younger, thinner man).

On Hugh Laurie, many of the people working with him didn't believe he was a Brit when they first heard him speak normally. He can't be that bad ;) Not that I watch House, his accent's dire :laugh:

schmenke
15th January 2009, 20:35
...my brother lived in Toronto for 18 months ....

My sympathies :s

schmenke
15th January 2009, 20:35
:down: Rene Zellweger is a minger. She's just wrong looking, face is all screwed up.

Totally agree.

Eki
17th January 2009, 22:31
I was watching a TV comedy series about a Mumbai call center in India. There an English actor speaking Queen's English was teaching Indian workers of the call center about British accents. He said that those who speak a Scottish accent don't appreciate fine arts and should always be answered "screw you, Jimmy". One of the workers asked what if the caller is not named Jimmy. The actor said they are all named Jimmy ( I would have thought some of them are named Jamie). Then he told that those with a Geordie accent drink coal juice and sell babies for beer.

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2009, 03:43
My sympathies :s

could have been worse...he could have had to live in Montreal...

schmenke
19th January 2009, 15:37
He at least would have a hockey team to support :p :

Hazell B
19th January 2009, 15:52
Then he told that those with a Geordie accent drink coal juice and sell babies for beer.

While in Yorkshire babies are used as a cheap alternative to turkey at Christmas :p :

Yep, the stereotypes are everywhere, and about 10% right :)

Drew
19th January 2009, 19:07
Drew...you only are bothered by it because you know Laurie is a Brit and you have seen him for years in Blackadder and the like. I saw Blackadder years ago and of course focused on Rowan Atkinson's characters more than Hugh's. When House came along...I had forgotten where I had seen him and didn't notice the fact he was a Brit trying to be a Yank. Most Americans and Canadians have no idea of his native accent. I think he carries it off rather well.

That's exactly it :) How about the actress that plays Daphne in Frasier?I can never remember whether she is English or American!

Daniel
19th January 2009, 19:26
That's exactly it :) How about the actress that plays Daphne in Frasier?I can never remember whether she is English or American!
She be English

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005137/

Hazell B
19th January 2009, 19:59
Sadly her brothers aren't all English though. Even Richard E Grant (an Englishman) can't manage a Manc accent in that show :laugh:

Daniel
19th January 2009, 20:02
Sadly her brothers aren't all English though. Even Richard E Grant (an Englishman) can't manage a Manc accent in that show :laugh:

Anthony LaPaglia is still funny though :D

Eki
19th January 2009, 20:08
I inherited a British Shorthair cat from my mother. She can manage a Manx accent, and a Scottish bagpipe.

Hazell B
20th January 2009, 18:30
Ah, the good old British Shorthair - a crossbred moggie given a posh name :p :

Probably the only healthy, happy breed of pet in the world :up:

Eki
20th January 2009, 21:50
Ah, the good old British Shorthair - a crossbred moggie given a posh name :p :

Probably the only healthy, happy breed of pet in the world :up:
Yes, she's like half cat and half dog. She comes to greet me at the door every time I come home and follows me around the apartment, but I don't have to take her out for a walk. She's just like wiki describes the British Shorthairs to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_shorthair#Temperament

British Shorthairs are an easygoing breed of cats. They have a stable character and take well to being kept as indoor only cats. This is ideal for apartment living. It also keeps them safe from harm that might befall them outside. They are not terribly demanding of attention, although they will let you know if they feel like playing and enjoy mouse type or stick style toys. They are not hyperactive or "in your face" cats preferring to sit next to you or near you rather than on you. They will tend to supervise household activities either watching from a comfy perch or laying on the floor nearby.

British Shorthairs are wonderful cats for people who work as they are very happy just to laze around the house while you are out. They don't get destructive or need other animals for company. They do enjoy having another British Shorthair or a cat with a similar temperament around though.

They like attention and enjoy being petted. They are not a very vocal breed but will meow to communicate with their owners. For example when they are hungry and you are preparing their food they will meow at you. They may also meow at their favourite toy as they play with it. British Shorthair cats have a tendency to follow people from room to room as they want to be with you and see what is going on. Some do not mind being cuddled but most prefer to keep four paws on the ground and have you pat them rather than pick them up.

The breed has become a favourite of animal trainers because of its nature and intelligence, and in recent years these cats have appeared in Hollywood films and television commercials [11]. British Shorthair owners have reported that their cats have spontaneously started to play fetch with toys like dogs do showing how quickly their cats can learn small tricks.

Hazell B
21st January 2009, 15:17
Yes, she's like half cat and half dog.

:laugh: Made me think she must get confused as to chasing herself/running away :p :

Eki
21st January 2009, 19:38
:laugh: Made me think she must get confused as to chasing herself/running away :p :
That might be true. She's usually easy-going as the description says, but sometimes she runs from the other side of the apartment to the other and then back and meows like some demons were chasing her.