PDA

View Full Version : Economic Suicides

Hondo
8th January 2009, 05:51
This may be a somewhat morbid thread but it seems like every day there is a news story about somebody that was wealthy 6 months ago, killing themselves now that their fortune has vanished.

Most of us have probably dreamed from time to time about how nice it would have been to have been born into one of the families of the idle rich, But now, with their money gone or going they don't know how to live without it. The money alone made them what they thought they were.

Although this downturn is not pleasant, I've been down to below nothing twice in my life and clawed my way back up to comfort. I'm still comfortable now but if it goes, it goes. I'll just start again, been there, done it, got the t-shirt. Times like these make me glad I know how to do something for myself instead of only knowing how to be rich.

gadjo_dilo
8th January 2009, 10:19
Poor rich guys...They lost their toys and killed themselves.
What should the guys from Gaza and Israel who are under assault and live mostly in underground shelters do?

Eki
8th January 2009, 12:16
Poor rich guys...They lost their toys and killed themselves.
What should the guys from Gaza and Israel who are under assault and live mostly in underground shelters do?
Go to the nearest Hamas headquarters and volunteer as a suicide bomber?

Daniel
8th January 2009, 13:05
Times like these make me glad I know how to do something for myself instead of only knowing how to be rich.

:up:

Possessions are often about impressing others or just plain keeping up with the Joneses. I couldn't be less bothered about what other people think of my car or my clothes or my phone or whatever, I care about what I think and really that is the end of it :)

BDunnell
8th January 2009, 13:25
Times like these make me glad I know how to do something for myself instead of only knowing how to be rich.

Beautifully put.

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2009, 18:38
You hit the nail on the head Fiero.....some of the people comitting suicide didn't know how to make the money in the first place and were either lucky or born lucky....

SOD
8th January 2009, 20:50
these are the suicides that we'll hear about. in the financial war between bilionaires against millionaires and savers versus speculatrs we will get full notice of suicides amongst the billionaires and speculators.

what you wont hear about is a person who commits suicide because he lost his job and has a 40 year mortgage hanging around his neck

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2009, 21:34
SOD..that is true...and there are people who had everything to live for and kill themselves anyhow. Suicide is a selfish act and isn't always logical....

Jag_Warrior
9th January 2009, 19:56
I fully agree with you also, SOD.

In addition to the French banker and Merckle, I heard about a real estate auctioneer from Chicago, Steven Good, who ate a bullet the other day. He drove his Jag out to a forest and shot himself. He left behind a wife and three sons. I'm not making light of any of these situations. It's bad whenever anyone loses the will to live. But look at the people who face down cancer and other things a LOT worse than losing money or property. But if money is all that you've valued, I guess you're willing to die for the loss of that which you've lived for.

But like you said, a lot of the people that we hear about still had something left. The guy who loses his job and loses his house, his car, all of his savings, being left penniless and homeless... nah, when he curls up and dies, not a peep about that.

steve_spackman
9th January 2009, 20:01
these are the suicides that we'll hear about. in the financial war between bilionaires against millionaires and savers versus speculatrs we will get full notice of suicides amongst the billionaires and speculators.

what you wont hear about is a person who commits suicide because he lost his job and has a 40 year mortgage hanging around his neck

could not agree more there SOD.

SOD
10th January 2009, 14:14
I fully agree with you also, SOD.

In addition to the French banker and Merckle, I heard about a real estate auctioneer from Chicago, Steven Good, who ate a bullet the other day. He drove his Jag out to a forest and shot himself. He left behind a wife and three sons. I'm not making light of any of these situations. It's bad whenever anyone loses the will to live. But look at the people who face down cancer and other things a LOT worse than losing money or property. But if money is all that you've valued, I guess you're willing to die for the loss of that which you've lived for.

But like you said, a lot of the people that we hear about still had something left. The guy who loses his job and loses his house, his car, all of his savings, being left penniless and homeless... nah, when he curls up and dies, not a peep about that.

Very sad that guys, men, define themselves by the amount of money they have.